Guest Cygnus

Cincinnati: Downtown: Fourth & Race (Pogue Garage) Redevelopment

Correct. This is a typical "Cincinnati Special" with ground floor retail + parking garage above + office or residential on top, fully above ground. I can't think of any underground parking garage in the CBD other than the one under Fountain Square.

Is the Banks parking garage considered underground or not? 

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I am not that against this in all aspects of having an above ground garage. When I went to Bangkok for work, nearly every building had above ground parking (Bangkok is notorious for traffic). That is a massive city. That said it seemed like they masked it pretty well with retail, etc. but then the floors above you could see it was parking. For example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7354993,100.5626533,3a,75y,78.19h,120.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s50uX4OiEqXayZQ8ySzWQIg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

^ I'm usually really critical of above ground parking. But if you conceal it well, most people wouldn't even realize it's parking. That Bangkok example is good because at a brief glance you don't even see where the parking is unless you look straight up and stare. 

Yeah they seemed to have promenades on every skyscraper with first or maybe up to 3-4 stories of retail, then parking garage, then the tower above. I don't htink we have enough foot traffic in Cincy to mask as well but there are things they can do to make it must more pallatable

1 hour ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

Looks like you didn't think hard enough, Travis, hahaha.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of all the 70s/80s office or hotel buildings that have underground parking as I've never had any occasion to go inside any of those garages. I also didn't realize that Dunnhumby had any underground since they made such a big deal about the above-ground parking being convertible to office at a later date. I also wouldn't consider The Banks garage truly underground because they didn't dig down to build it.

But I believe most of the new mid-rise infill developments (Eighth & Main, Seven & Broadway, Court & Walnut, Fourth & Race) are fully above ground.

Fourth Street will be closed April 26 to 28 for the installation of the second tower crane.

Edited by taestell
fixed date

24 minutes ago, taestell said:

Fourth Street will be closed March 26 to 28 for the installation of the second tower crane.

You mean April right 😉

The second tower crane goes up this weekend. The Court & Walnut tower is still up, so it appears we will have four tower cranes in our skyline for a brief period of time.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, taestell said:

One of the tower cranes is visible in the skyline:

48131954848_3efbae588a_k.jpg

48145430542_5bf57090d4_k.jpg

When I see photos from this angle, it always amazes me how seamlessly the Covington towers appear to fit into downtown and you how you cant tell that there is a river between them