Guest Cygnus

Cincinnati: Downtown: Fourth & Race (Pogue Garage) Redevelopment

From 3CDC's November Progress Report:

Full construction is officially underway on the 4th and Race mixed-use development. A partnership between 3CDC and Indianapolis-based developer Flaherty & Collins, the project will result in 22,000 SF of street-level commercial space, a 584-space garage and 264 apartment units. Follow construction progress by subscribing to monthly updates on this project.

• Like 1

How tall is this building going to be? Is it about 17-18 stories?

I know we've seen a lot of renderings but it makes it hard to see just how tall it is going to be exactly.

4 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

How tall is this building going to be? Is it about 17-18 stories?

I know we've seen a lot of renderings but it makes it hard to see just how tall it is going to be exactly.

Look's like it's going to be 14 stories according to the Flaherty + Collins website.

http://flco.com/company-properties/4thandrace/

Thanks for posting! Looks like they are getting ready to start doing some heavy digging and pile casting for the foundation.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I saw the crane coming down at "The Deacon" this weekend. Do different companies try to phase their projects to take advantage of one crane coming down, so that another can go up? if so, maybe that crane is headed here or to 8th and Main next.

20 hours ago, taestell said:

Someone has started an unofficial Twitter account to monitor the construction progress at 4th & Race.

these are the hard-hitting updates we deserve. 

I've watched them move dirt around, then they dug a hole. Today, the hole is filled.

Well, that IS technically correct (the best kind of correct). 

23 minutes ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

Does this mean downtown will have possibly 3 active cranes over the summer? I can't even imagine when was the last time that happened. 

I think for a very short time there will be (4th and Race, 8th and main and Court and Walnut) but Court and Walnut is only 2-3 floors from being topped out so I only give that crane a couple more weeks. 

2 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

Does this mean downtown will have possibly 3 active cranes over the summer? I can't even imagine when was the last time that happened. 

Like 1983.  Those were all office buildings, whereas these are all residential. 

2 hours ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

I think for a very short time there will be (4th and Race, 8th and main and Court and Walnut) but Court and Walnut is only 2-3 floors from being topped out so I only give that crane a couple more weeks. 

Let's hope the stars align and someone with a camera can capture some photos. I might have to make a special trip to Cincy myself. 

29 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

That's what I was guessing if possible. Who could've guessed even 5 years ago that Cincinnati would have possibly 3 cranes up at once and they'd all be for residential projects. 

1 hour ago, jmecklenborg said:

And the summer of 2014:

14832676623_9fc96aa3f1_h.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taestell said:

And the summer of 2014:

Two of those cranes I believe were for one building (84.51) if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Interesting location for the crane base. Is there only one on the site? 

It looks like Court and Walnut will have a tower crane till the end of this month at the earliest so there could be a few days where they all will be up at the same time.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Sitting at midchi, multiple crane pieces have been passing by, maybe some real progress next week. 

383A4765-FE45-4709-B7D0-B428C34159E0.jpeg

Edited by lobanio0

On 3/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, taestell said:

And the summer of 2014:

That is exactly three more cranes than Dayton has at the moment... amazing to see the amount of progress that has been made in downtown Cincy alone over the past 5-6 years, much less the rest of the city! Hoping the crane bug will come north.

To get back on topic... I wonder how this development would have been different if Saks would have decided to move to Kenwood Collection a couple years ago?

IMO they without a doubt made the right choice to stay but whether or not downtown is better off with them remaining is a whole different issue.

51 minutes ago, SWOH said:

To get back on topic... I wonder how this development would have been different if Saks would have decided to move to Kenwood Collection a couple years ago?

IMO they without a doubt made the right choice to stay but whether or not downtown is better off with them remaining is a whole different issue.

I do not believe e it would have made a huge different, it would honestly prolly just be empty storefront for a few years. Hoping they are planning on staying since in the next few years there will be a few more hundred residents in that area of downtown with 4th and Race and hopefully a residential component of the old Macy’s development.

3 hours ago, SWOH said:

That is exactly three more cranes than Dayton has at the moment... amazing to see the amount of progress that has been made in downtown Cincy alone over the past 5-6 years, much less the rest of the city! Hoping the crane bug will come north.

Dayton is the epitome of ghost town. It never ceases to amaze me how dead it is during weekday rush hour, and how even more so during the weekend. Dayton's got a lot of good architectural bones, but the many empty storefronts and lack of street traffic is eerie to say the least. 

I'm kind of curious if we will be able to see a record 4 cranes with the construction of the West end fcc stadium? Wonder what the timing construction schedule is to bring a crane in for that project?

Edited by troeros

10 hours ago, troeros said:

Dayton is the epitome of ghost town. It never ceases to amaze me how dead it is during weekday rush hour, and how even more so during the weekend. Dayton's got a lot of good architectural bones, but the many empty storefronts and lack of street traffic is eerie to say the least. 

I'm kind of curious if we will be able to see a record 4 cranes with the construction of the West end fcc stadium? Wonder what the timing construction schedule is to bring a crane in for that project?

I would highly doubt that the crane for or maybe even cranes for the FCC stadium will be up before the one at  Court and Walnut is taken down. I’d give that maybe 2 weeks before it’s dismantled.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:12 AM, troeros said:

Dayton is doing awhile lot better than you probably remember... downtown has been booming over the past couple of years.

The issue with Dayton is it doesn’t have a strong CBD office community like Cincinnati. During the depths of the recession the office vacancy rate downtown just about hit 40%!

Because of that, most of the project’s downtown are refurbishment and infill, which is awesome tbh. It preserves what we already have, which is arguably better built than a lot of new stuff. Andthere was one crane downtown until recently with Caresource’s new second building at the former Patterson Co-Op High site.

It would be awesome to see interest in a new mid rise or high rise building downtown, something that’s more than 6 or 7 stories, to sit on one of the parking lots downtown that we have. 

Glad to see Cincinnati is filling in their downtown parking lots with new buildings

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 10:57 PM, Ucgrad2015 said:

I do not believe e it would have made a huge different, it would honestly prolly just be empty storefront for a few years. Hoping they are planning on staying since in the next few years there will be a few more hundred residents in that area of downtown with 4th and Race and hopefully a residential component of the old Macy’s development.

Makes sense, to me it seems like it would not be smart for Saks to leave now since they are in the middle of a booming area.... unlike 10 years ago when that was not the case.

3 hours ago, SWOH said:

Makes sense, to me it seems like it would not be smart for Saks to leave now since they are in the middle of a booming area.... unlike 10 years ago when that was not the case.

Saks is in conversation with Brookfield about moving to Kenwood Towne Center. Its ongoing early conversation of a smaller two story store to be placed where the older parking garage is located along the Nordstrom Wing. With Tiffanys, Louis Vuitton, and now Gucci opening in Kenwood, just makes the right fit. The real issue though if Saks leaves it creates a weird situation since the main ballroom for Hyatt sits above Saks store now. 

30 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

Saks is in conversation with Brookfield about moving to Kenwood Towne Center. Its ongoing early conversation of a smaller two story store to be placed where the older parking garage is located along the Nordstrom Wing. With Tiffanys, Louis Vuitton, and now Gucci opening in Kenwood, just makes the right fit. The real issue though if Saks leaves it creates a weird situation since the main ballroom for Hyatt sits above Saks store now. 

Gucci is coming to Kenwood? I haven’t seen that