Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quimbob

Historic Photos

If the plate was made with films, you should own them, too.

Who owns what & who is responsible for what & how long it should be stored has been a big issue in printing. It just got weirder when everything went digital.

My oldest online post was on this subject.

:-)

It may be a reach to put this in this thread but the previous content seems inclusive enough.  Does 1985 qualify as historic?  Maybe.  Just not sure these photos are "historic".  I would call them nostalgic.  MODS:  Feel free to move but I didn't want to start another thread needlessly.

Anyway...these may be of interest to some for their curiosity.  A printing factory in 1985.

More here: http://particularlyeverything.com/2014/01/17/photos-workin-for-a-livin-in-1985/

12001615996_a1637e0c40_z.jpg

12001615626_27493b9427_z.jpg

12001160444_cce2d2797b_z.jpg

12000796715_7d6c0c0659_z.jpg

12001616186_5185a618f0_z.jpg

12001160184_6115ff4296_z.jpg

12000796945_c0755b1df7_z.jpg

Enjoy!

Hipsters. 

There's a FB group called Old Photos of Cincinnati & somebody was posting a bunch of street shots that all say Highway Engineering on them.

Would this just be a municipal department or a state entity?

I just think state when I think 'highway'. What I'm wondering is - would there be similar photos for othr Ohio cities like Dayton, Medina, etc.

SpringColerain_zps9983f63e.jpg

There's a FB group called Old Photos of Cincinnati & somebody was posting a bunch of street shots that all say Highway Engineering on them.

I just think state when I think 'highway'. What I'm wondering is - would there be similar photos for othr Ohio cities like Dayton, Medina, etc.

I posted a link to these awhile ago on my blog, and was doing a "before and after" thing for awhile but haven't had time lately. I believe these were all taken by the City of Cincinnati.

My blog: http://zfein.blogspot.com/2013/10/cincinnati-then-and-now.html

The source (a bit cumbersome to search): http://drc.libraries.uc.edu/handle/2374.UC/702780/browse?type=series

I've got a question about people's eyes in pre-war photography. Lots of people (men especially) have these penetrating silver eyes. Was that a function of the cameras and/or the developing process, or were there a lot more steely-eyed people then as compared to now? I have met people with eyes that color in real life, but very few of them.

chippewa lake park in 2009 from a dead blog:

C041B7FB-9DB3-4B38-A834-51E5A8E275CC_zpsktok1m4l.jpg

sad clown & the old gypsy lies dead on the floor nobody needs fortunes told anymore

9A50E17F-6A8E-43A8-8D59-7E5AC3D67368_zpszuaoezzq.jpg

Vintage Abandoned

abandonedtexaco_zps9f2c02cf.jpg

[Most and possibly all of these photographs were taken by Walker Evans in the late 1920s or early 1930s.  He was literally the first person to photograph the automobile landscape, ranging from the change in signage to be readable to passing cars, to junk yards, to the class gradations that particular types of cars represented. 

For example, it's difficult to know today, but the convertible these two are driving in was the very cheapest convertible that could be had at that time:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d00dad34ef2a5dfe2aa7bd4ca0e4a9c3/tumblr_mqv1g1GMcS1r5ywf1o1_1280.jpg

Sort of like how poor or middle class people do things that imitate that possessions and customs of the wealthy, and of course in the US the wealthy were imitating the landed gentry of England and France. 

What's left of a nice gas station.  That particular Fire Chief sign on the left pump and the Texaco Ethyl pump globe on the right are hard to find.  Wish I had them...

Not a perfect fit for this thread, but I couldn't find a better place to post this.

Check out this evolution of one block in Detroit's Corktown:

Wow, thanks for posting that! I know that block, it's one of the few fully intact blocks in that neighborhood. I had no idea it had made so much progress though.

^I don't see too much change from 09 to 15. Maybe 3 new businesses, a couple of paint jobs, and the removal of the billboard.  A shot of basically any of the south of Liberty blocks in OTR would show much more dramatic change.

^I meant no offense to Detroit, I was just saying this photo set wasn't one of the more dramatic city block transformations I've seen recently.  Though if this is indicative of the best redevelopment success story that Detroit has to offer, then they certainly have ways to go before any meaningful change is going to come to the city. Not every city is on the same level as Cincy, and Cincinnati is certainly not on the same level as a number of cities across the country.  Nothing wrong with pointing this out, but again, the intent of my previous post was not to disparage Detroit.

^It's more context than visual change.  The fact that three new businesses opened up outside of downtown in Detroit city limits is a celebration for how far Detroit has come.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Also, I don't know if we are looking at the same images, because the right half of the block has changed dramatically. It's not like the buildings were bombed out shells to start, but it is a pretty dramatic improvement. Look closely at all of the windows especially. And they kept the pawn shop just made it less ugly. Which is cool that it hasn't been run out of the block, but has improved its facade. I feel most pawn shops wouldn't be open to investing in their exterior to make the block look nicer.

I posted a link to these awhile ago on my blog, and was doing a "before and after" thing for awhile but haven't had time lately. I believe these were all taken by the City of Cincinnati.

My blog: http://zfein.blogspot.com/2013/10/cincinnati-then-and-now.html

The source (a bit cumbersome to search): http://drc.libraries.uc.edu/handle/2374.UC/702780/browse?type=series

interesting. my grandfather worked for ohio engineering most of his adult life. he helped build the ohio turnpike among other ohio roads and highways until he retired in the late 1960s. i put some old scans of that up on uo years ago, but they were lost to the crashes and changes, etc. sorry, i don't really know anything else about it though.

Aside from P&G, I'm most upset by 550 East 4th.  UGH!!!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers