Guest wimwar

Cleveland: Filling in Euclid Avenue

There is an article in Crains about the Cleveland Athletic Club Building possibly moving forward...

It is a subscription article (which I no longer have), but here is the snippet:

Athletic club redo may get moving

Court filings signal the long-planned renovation of the former Cleveland Athletic Club Building may be starting to come together, albeit at the hands of a different investor than Eli Mann, who has owned the property since 2007 and secured state aid...

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=TOC

The article says that an investor wants to make it into a 160 room hotel with the fitness center being open to the public and hotel guests.  Apparently it had previously been planned for apartments.

Well I kindof wish this would just be apartements.  We need more of them!  With all the other possibilities on the drawing board this is one that should be able to be done without the reliance on a hotel.  Plus, Im happy some hotels are in the works (especially the Scofield) but we cant oversaturate too much with the hotels.....  We need more living areas.

Well I kindof wish this would just be apartements.  We need more of them!  With all the other possibilities on the drawing board this is one that should be able to be done without the reliance on a hotel.  Plus, Im happy some hotels are in the works (especially the Scofield) but we cant oversaturate too much with the hotels.....  We need more living areas.

Oversaturate?  We dont have any hotels that draw with brand power.  Although I agree this would be nice apartments (edit to add) or Condos.

Well I kindof wish this would just be apartements. We need more of them! With all the other possibilities on the drawing board this is one that should be able to be done without the reliance on a hotel. Plus, Im happy some hotels are in the works (especially the Scofield) but we cant oversaturate too much with the hotels..... We need more living areas.

I completely agree. I think this building would make great apartments and could be the new 668

I realize there are many lacking brands in the market, but Im thinking in terms of future projects that will likely need to rely on a hotel to make it a go (like Bruer and Huntington Bldg (as well as a hotel maybe being a necessary component in the WHD)), and that those would be better canditdates for a hotel component as opposed to this smaller project that could likely more easily become apts.

Im also thinking of in terms of a future convention hotel that would hopefully go where the County building is on the mall.  Those are things I want to happen, but I think this building would rather be overkill in that regard. 

there is a race going on right now to fill the hotel need envisioned for the MMCC.  Not all of them are going to happen, but right now everyone is throwing it out there because there is a need, and because it will be easier to obtain financing with a signed on hotel lease. Once 2 or 3 come to fruition you will see all the hotel talk die down if not disapear.  The same thing happened when gateway was coming online.  After the hotels got settled everyone started looking to residential conversions.

Exactly.  I would just rather see the few that will likely happen, go with the pivital larger projects that will need to rely on a hotel to make it happen (for financing etc). 

Exactly.  I would just rather see the few that will likely happen, go with the pivital larger projects that will need to rely on a hotel to make it happen (for financing etc). 

Right we have several large conventions and we need the Hilton, Westin and Sheraton convention sized properties.

We cant even begin to be competitive with less thatn 10,000 rooms.  12-15k would work well.

I wish this place would get something done. As it is it looks really bad.

Completely agree.  BTW, when is "the", "a" Cleveland aquarium opening??

I wish this place would get something done. As it is it looks really bad.

Completely agree.  BTW, when is "the", "a" Cleveland aquarium opening??

OH GOD NO.  Can we PLEASE keep this on topic!  Might I suggest asking this question in the appropriate thread.

Here's the PD's take:

Cleveland Athletic Club building owner settles legal dispute, but renovation plans still need financing

Published: Monday, July 19, 2010, 4:49 PM    Updated: Monday, July 19, 2010, 5:02 PM

Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A group of investors still hopes to buy and renovate the Cleveland Athletic Club building in downtown Cleveland, but the end of litigation between the current owner and his lender does not mean a revival is imminent.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/07/cleveland_athletic_club_buildi.html

Well I kindof wish this would just be apartements. We need more of them! With all the other possibilities on the drawing board this is one that should be able to be done without the reliance on a hotel. Plus, Im happy some hotels are in the works (especially the Scofield) but we cant oversaturate too much with the hotels..... We need more living areas.

Oversaturate? We dont have any hotels that draw with brand power. Although I agree this would be nice apartments (edit to add) or Condos.

CLE is definietly NOT oversaturated with hotels.  It seems that most of the new (if not all) hotels properties coming on-line are boutique hotels.  Downtown need a couple of large, convention oriented hotels to compliment the MM/CC.  I think someone stated elsewhere that Jacobs Public Square parcel would be a good location for one

I have a question about the parking structure between 668 and the City Club building.  Since the garage is set back from both Euclid and Prosect, was the intent to use the surface lots for new development, or did they just not have the money to make an even larger garage?

^^Downtown needs maybe ONE large convention sized hotel.  More than that would definitely be jumping the gun at this point.

^That garage is not a new build.  The lot you are referring to is where the Hippodrome theatre was located (prior to demolition) and is privately and separately owned.  No development plans currently.

^^Downtown needs maybe ONE large convention sized hotel.  More than that would definitely be jumping the gun at this point.

^That garage is not a new build.  The lot you are referring to is where the Hippodrome theatre was located (prior to demolition) and is privately and separately owned.  No development plans currently.

I disagree as when looking for conference, that is a key sticking point.  Multiple convention properties within close proximity for overflow.

Right now we don't have the following

the right hotel brands

The right sized hotels

Because of that we cannot lure business travelers or conventions nor can we bring in leisure travelers who are brand loyal.

Example the 30-something couple from CH that wants to spend their weekend in the city at the W or Westin/Marriott Marquis or JW Marriot/Hilton or Waldorf=Astoria/The Park Hyatt or Andaz.

Nor do we have independents like Sofitel, Loews, Palamor, Omni, Swissotel - places that hip, young, fun 20/30/40-somethings want to hang out in as they tend to be in hip areas

I don't think we need more than 1 800 room property;  two, 700-800 properties and then various properties between 500-700 rooms.

I don't think high-end ritzy hotels really bring business travelers... I'm a businessman and I always prefer to stay in La Quitna's because of the free newspaper, dial-up Internet and low rates even with lots of amenities. after a long day of working n extremely important multi-hundred dollar contracts, business deals, etc. I need amentaties but also low rates. So I'd love to see one of those come to down town.

I don't think high-end ritzy hotels really bring business travelers... I'm a businessman and I always prefer to stay in La Quitna's because of the free newspaper, dial-up Internet and low rates even with lots of amenities. after a long day of working n extremely important multi-hundred dollar contracts, business deals, etc. I need amentaties but also low rates. So I'd love to see one of those come to down town.

PM me next time.  I hate to see you waste long days on a multi-hundred dollar contract.  I can pop one of those together on a napkin for ya in about 2 minutes ;)

Hey, some people hammer out multi-million dollar contracts and stay at the Ritz, some, multi-hundred dollar contracts and La Quinta.  At least the amentaties are there.

Many companies have contracts with brands like Starwood, Hilton, Marriot and IHG (formerly know as Holiday Inn) all of those loyalty programs include high end hotels like W, Westin, St. Regis or the Luxury Collection for Starwood; Hilton has the Waldorf; Marriot has JW Marriot, Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, IHG  has Inter-Contientals.

When I was at BP we had Marriott and Hilton.  Now my company has Starwood and Hyatt.

Those contract drive sales to various brands.

In addition, based on an employees level, there are probably company restrictions on Travel.  such as what type of ticket you can buy or how much per night a hotel room you can book.

For instance, Domestically, I can fly FC anywhere or sleep in a hotel room that cost up to $800 a night.  But my subordinates who are SVP's can only fly BC if the flight is longer than four hours and they cannot stay in a hotel room that is more than $300 a night. 

Also, many companies/organizations buy blocks of discounted rooms.  I layover at anything from a 2-star to a 5-star hotel.  The airline buys the rooms and pays for them whether they are used or not (cancelled flights, etc)

Also, many companies/organizations buy blocks of discounted rooms.  I layover at anything from a 2-star to a 5-star hotel.  The airline buys the rooms and pays for them whether they are used or not (cancelled flights, etc)

I totally forgot about airline contracts and opaque travel sites.

Also, many companies/organizations buy blocks of discounted rooms. I layover at anything from a 2-star to a 5-star hotel. The airline buys the rooms and pays for them whether they are used or not (cancelled flights, etc)

Also, to give an idea of the cost to the airline, I've stayed at 5-star properties and only paid $45.00/nite on the discount.

Also, to give an idea of the cost to the airline, I've stayed at 5-star properties and only paid $45.00/nite on the discount.

Oh God.  I can't hate on that.  Before we bought the house in LA I was staying at the Peninsula at $600 a night.  The thought of what I could do with that extra money.

A quick summary if what's being built on Midtown Euclid Ave:

1) Emerald Alliance V  -- 7515 Euclid Ave

projectID37_94.jpg

2) Euclid Corridor Senior Housing -- E. 73rd/E. 74th and Euclid Ave

projectID38_95.jpg

3) "Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement with Dunham Square Land, LLC, or its designee; to provide for the construction of a mutli-tenant office/technology center located at 6700 Euclid Avenue"

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2010/093010/100110DraftAgenda.pdf

I'm pretty sure that last one is across the street from Dunham Tavern.

^Thanks for posting those!  6700 Euclid is the Geiss development: http://www.terrycoyne.com/ourproperties/detail.asp?id=208

Doesn't look like too much has changed with the two housing development designs since the last time they popped up.  Nothing exciting, but not really offensive either.  Decent street edge background stuff.

Well... if they are going to put subsidized housing on Euclid Avenue, I suppose around 75th is the best spot.  I have more faith in Euclid growing out (over a long period of time) from CSU towards 55th and from the Clinic through UC, than I do for the area between 55th and and the Clinic. 

Thanks MurrayHill, that was my letter.  I live at Reserve Square and work in Landmark at Sherwin WIlliams.  I was active on the forum here a few years back but took some time off to move back from Columbus, change jobs and do some other things in life.  I plan to be back on here now, good to be here (again).

The inspiration for writing that letter was a friend of mine who plans to move to San Francisco as soon as she can.  I asked her why, and she said that the urban-ness is attractive, as well as the lack of need for a car.  I agreed with her that it's tough to be in Cleveland without a car and that we need to work on that, but that I'll be interested in seeing where we are in a decade or two if the health care economy starts to take root along Euclid.  It really could be the pathway to success - startups in UC, mid-size companies in Midtown, and larger established companies headquarterd downtown.  You could even brand it, maybe the "innovation artery" to play on the heart theme.

Does anyone know what's been going on at Dunham Tavern?  I thought they were finally repainting it.  They had scaffolding on the right side and it looked like paint was chipped off the front window frames, but the scaffolding is gone and the front and side clapboards still have several tones of body color due apparently to poor paint matching. I see no sign of work being done each day.

Are there still plans to demolish the ugly hulk to the tavern's left?  The mural adds something positive but it's still a huge eyesore.  And I mean HUGE. Sure I would have liked it rehabbed but I think that ship has sailed....

Was downtown last night for Blue Man Group.  I noticed that the inside the first floor of the former NCB, now PNC building  4 story building along Euclid had steel framing going on inside (kind of across from 668).  I didn't know if this was office renovation or perhaps new retail.  New retail opening to the street between E6th and E9th would be awesome.

New retail? I'd say very unlikely.  Unless the whole exterior facade is changed, this space has no exterior entrances so it would have to be a shop or shops off the lobby space. I'd assume this is just PNC-related offices going in.  I did ask someone in the take-out place but - not suprisingly - she knew nothing.

Yes, I'd really, really like to see more decent stores on the street!