Cleveland: Filling in Euclid Avenue

Guest wimwar

I actually agree with this article. I do not think ALL of Euclid is this way, though. I have always felt that diversity in the economy breeds stability...and to keep developing our economy around health care or things related...is just as short sighted as it was to build it around the golden egg of the steel industry, as Youngstown did in the past, and yet again in the auto industry. The resulting scenario was imminent---when those industries failed, everything else that was intertwined with them somehow took a hit as well. Why is history repeating itself?

Euclid should be a place for aspirations that exceed the mediocre...a place where independent and local/national entrepreneurial interests can consider setting up home or shop. Instead, we chose to make that part of Euclid (of all other places this could happen) a banner tribute to social dysfunction and failure....and right on what is supposed to be the grand showcase avenue of Cleveland! It is really undermining to the avenue's past history.

I am not saying it will be the same scenario as in Ohio City, but look what catering sooooo much, to this sector of society has contributed to there. Many transients fly in and out like going through a revolving door...and leaving a torrent of trash in the wake. Last Friday, I walked along Franklin Blvd. between W.29th to what I thought was about 54th or 8th.. (always get that confused!) Also along Clinton in the same distance and on all the side streets in between. Let me put it like this...when your most dominant flower is Wild Irish Rose...you have a problem! Me and a person from the Urban Ohio forum retrieved 5 bags of trash, most all of which roots from transients walking through who make use of the services. I should note that we try and do this once a month, but this stuff falls like rain and could be done daily! It devalues the neighborhood and lake, if washed down via stormdrains.

You don't suppose there could be any correlation between that sort of thing and the fact this neighborhood has the most social service oriented establishments in the city? Harmless or not...It becomes a turd in the punch bowl for what is supposed to be a showcase avenue through the neighborhood. Although a great neighborhood...many realize and feel that such is one of the things that holds it back from getting to the next level.

I can see a post card idea now: "Welcome To Franklin Blvd.. in lovely Cleveland, Ohio" with a photo of the drunk passed out, surrounded by trash in front of a dilapidated house that could be a gem. Don't know.. That is not the image I want to send immediately of the grand street when I take people down the Blvd. but sadly, it sometimes is. If anyone thinks this sort of thing does not deter investment and living interest.... they're sadly mistaken.

Could such be the scenario that this particular part of Euclid will follow? It certainly has the seeds planted for such to grow already, with that bad selection of entities to be built. The point is...what stupid thinking plans to locate what was described in the article above, on your showcase avenue--a beacon to the world? Maybe the same who would use a toilet as a chair in their living room, and call it 'decor?'

Sorry..but the guy is right.  Learn from past mistakes.

perhaps in 2009, but the idea of restoring Euclid Ave is that it would grow and be the spine of a new city.  Now that the actual street has been rebuilt it was left up to the city leaders to make wise choices that will enable the street to live up to its potential.

Its seems like the city did not even try

Sorry I don't buy that as "Euclid Avenue" is not a completed project.  One phase/portion is done, transit.

:?

That was my point. 

But if there is no planning on the types of developments that go it, especially at this initial phase, the street will never live up to its potential.  It will be another wasted opportunity.

perhaps in 2009, but the idea of restoring Euclid Ave is that it would grow and be the spine of a new city.  Now that the actual street has been rebuilt it was left up to the city leaders to make wise choices that will enable the street to live up to its potential.

Sorry I don't buy that as "Euclid Avenue" is not a completed project.  One phase/portion is done, transit.

That was my point. 

But if there is no planning on the types of developments that go it, especially at this initial phase, the street will never live up to its potential.  It will be another wasted opportunity.

But this is a few blocks, not the entire avenue.  That like me saying to the people on Cormere, you beneath me and don't deserve to live in the shadow of my building.

That was my point. 

But this is a few blocks, not the entire avenue.  That like me saying to the people on Cormere, you beneath me and don't deserve to live in the shadow of my building.

Well, it may be like saying that...but until some are prepared to live in a communal setting without being self destructive, then that's how it will come across.

^^But its not like there is one great mixed use development and a low income housing project,  a few medical start ups and an expanded arts venue at the Agora to go along with the psychiatric hospital.

Cleveland should be using every resource available to put its best foot forward on Euclid Ave, especially the first few steps. 

i'm still not convinced that these developments mean the absolute end of euclid avenue for market rate residential and private sector business, etc. i think there likely were and still are a few percolating plans for that stuff, but the economy is holding it back.

however, it is disturbing to see the city go with the desperate "we will take anything" approach to this important corridor. there is no reason all three of these very different types of social service developments needs to be grouped together in one place along euclid or anywhere for that matter. and of all the things not to rush....euclid avenue, sheesh!

does anyone know, if one exists, is there some kind of city master plan for 'the new euclid avenue' or something linked back on this thread? i sure hope so, i'd like to see it.

i'm still not convinced that these developments mean the absolute end of euclid avenue for market rate residential and private sector business, etc. i think there likely were and still are a few percolating plans for that stuff, but the economy is holding it back.

however, it is disturbing to see the city go with the desperate "we will take anything" approach to this important corridor. there is no reason all three of these very different types of social service developments needs to be grouped together in one place along euclid or anywhere for that matter. and of all the things not to rush....euclid avenue, sheesh!

does anyone know, if one exists, is there some kind of city master plan for 'the new euclid avenue' or something linked back on this thread? i sure hope so, i'd like to see it.

I think that is the most disturbing part of this drama--there doesn't seem to be a plan.  Midtown, Inc. has a plan, but it's not being followed.  So while the social service nature of these developments is troubling considering the City's need for private investment, the most troubling aspect is the lack of a plan.  Not having a plan (or more basically zoning laws) is how we destroyed Euclid Ave. in the first place.  It's pretty sad that we (our elected officials) have not learned from history.  Planning, even for private development, is critical.  You don't want a paper mill next door to green grocer.  That may be an extreme example, but you get the point. 

Hopefully the planning commission can put the brakes on these developments. 

I totally agree with Bier's viewpoints.

The city needs to start attracting a stronger tax base, but that's not going to happen if sights are set low for what the city can do. I honestly don't think Cleveland sets its vision high enough for itself, and there are projects in the pipeline that are encouraging that can offset this, but it's time for Cleveland's poverty mentality to change.

^^I thought that there was a proposed zoning ordinance already in effect for this portion of Euclid... being mixed-use, three story minimum? 

Of course, with whichever councilman's approval, zoning variances could be granted to allow these projects to occur.  However, if enough local support can be drawn in opposition of the projects, the councilman's approval could possibly be changed.  Without the councilman's support, the projects would not pass through the board of zoning appeals (if the building's purpose does not match the specific zoning codes of the district).

That all hinges on IF that particular zoning was passed for midtown... however I'm not sure if it did.

^^I thought that there was a proposed zoning ordinance already in effect for this portion of Euclid... being mixed-use, three story minimum? 

Of course, with whichever councilman's approval, zoning variances could be granted to allow these projects to occur.  However, if enough local support can be drawn in opposition of the projects, the councilman's approval could possibly be changed.  Without the councilman's support, the projects would not pass through the board of zoning appeals (if the building's purpose does not match the specific zoning codes of the district).

That all hinges on IF that particular zoning was passed for midtown... however I'm not sure if it did.

Good idea. Otherwise its business as usual. Looks like development at any cost...as long as it is development. That's what I mean about aspiring for more than average.

• 1 month later...

Some more good news.  I believe that they bought all the buildings between the Huntington and Statler buildings. I hope that they come forward with their plans soon.

3 Euclid Ave. office buildings sold

February 3, 2006

Christopher Montgomery

Plain Dealer Reporter

New York real estate investment company 3M Realty LLC has partnered with Cleveland Heights investor Eli Mann to buy three near-empty office buildings on Euclid Avenue in downtown Cleveland.

The purchase price wasn't disclosed, but Cuyahoga County property records show the buildings, which total about 200,000 square feet, sold for $2.2 million...

more at: http://www.cleveland.com

Anything to report on these properties?

Isn't Mann being sued for defaulting on loans in connection with one or more of the Euclid properties he owns?  As I recall he is having trouble paying on his financing to purchase properties, so I don't believe that he is in any position to obtain financing to begin work on renovations.

Cleveland Athletic Club building's owners sued by lender

By Kathie Kroll August 30, 2009, 8:00AM

The owners of the Cleveland Athletic Club building have failed to make payments on a $2.5 million loan and are being sued by the New Jersey company that holds a mortgage on the property. 

more at :    http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/08/cleveland_athletic_club.html

^Yes, I think I read it in the PD or Crains.  Just checked the Cuyahoga County court docket and it appears to involve the CAC building.  Case is just plodding along.  Case Management Conference scheduled for early November.  Mann is representing himself at this point.

If I recall the article he said gave the old (but true) recession excuse.  I would imagine he and his companies are not in a position to go forward on other Euclid properties if he cannot even keep up on payments on the CAC building.

^I believe Mann or his companies own these properties as well.  As I suggested above, if he is defaulting on his mortgage loan on the CAC Building, it is very unlikely that he has the $$$ to go forward any time soon on these buildings.

Investor group hopes to buy and renovate Cleveland Athletic Club building

By Michelle Jarboe September 23, 2009, 5:59PM

A group of investors is hoping to buy and renovate the Cleveland Athletic Club building, a Euclid Avenue landmark that has been languishing and mired in litigation.

Cleveland Heights real estate investor Ned Weingart said today that he and other investors have signed a letter of intent to purchase the building from developer Eli Mann. The deal is far from done, but it already has fueled hopes among former Cleveland Athletic Club members who want to revive the defunct athletic and social institution.

MORE AT CLEVELAND.COM  http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/09/investor_group_hopes_to_buy_an.html

Glad to hear it. I gave a transit tour yesterday to a friend of mine who has lived in Seattle the last 10 years and worked in public transit circles for 40 years. He was impressed with Euclid Avenue, the HealthLine and the amount of revitalization that has place so far. I explained what the road looked like back in its heyday, but he was still impressed with the recovery from the avenue's worst years.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

The building that went up for action last October that's attached to the Newsnet 5 building (E. 30th and Euclid) finally has some construction action.  There is now a chute coming out one of the windows on the east side of the building.

Also, the demo of the building on Euclid and E. 59th is also in full swing.  They're in the process of stripping everything but the basic structure.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am going off-topic.... A friend of mine in high school in the early 80s had an AMC Pacer -- painted in jungle camouflague!

OK, back to filling in Euclid!

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Yes, I am going off-topic.... A friend of mine in high school in the early 80s had an AMC Pacer -- painted in jungle camouflague!

OK, back to filling in Euclid!

My uncle had one in Purple with the PR flag on it or was that a Gremlin?  :|

Anyway, it was tacky, but it was the 70's.

NOW...back on topic!

The two brick/stone apartment buildings at Euclid and E. 77th received demolition approval from the Midtown-UCI Design Review committee. This is the site that Pirhl is trying acquiring for a senior low-income housing project. It's frustrating to me that rehab wasn't more seriously considered, as that would have 1) saved two high-quality buildings and 2) provided 45% of costs for a project that hasn't yet secured full financing.

This thread should maybe be renamed "Dismantling Euclid Avenue"?

Do we know if the project's sponsors looked at the re-use potential of the existing buildings? A responsible developer would, and I hope they are responsible. As much as I would have preferred to see those building re-used, there is a possibility that they were too far gone to save in a cost-effective manner. They have been abandoned and left to rot for a long time.

I fear that much of the inner-city is in this same condition. Some buildings have been abandoned for 20-40 years and many were neglected long before that. The fate of these and many other inner-city buildings may have been decided a long time ago.

It's also possible, I'd say probable, that these buildings can't, or can't cost effectively meet the programmatic needs that a low income senior housing project requires.  The real question is, "Why given all the empty building lots in this city did they decide they were going to do this on a site with two large buildings which will require expensive demolition?"

It's also possible, I'd say probable, that these buildings can't, or can't cost effectively meet the programmatic needs that a low income senior housing project requires. The real question is, "Why given all the empty building lots in this city did they decide they were going to do this on a site with two large buildings which will require expensive demolition?"

There is A LOT of invasive ivy on the front of these buildings.  That may also weigh into things.

Good points by X and MayDay. I would imagine that a brick building's shell could be rehabbed with new guts, ala Tower Press. The East 77th apartment buildings could probably be saved, but for matching the spatial and programmatic needs of a contemporary senior housing facility.

My guess is that the council persons, community interests and the Fairfax Development Corp want that eyesore removed. Since there have been no takers for converting those buildings back into what they were designed to be, the senior housing folks represented an opportunity to get rid of the eyesore.

After all, an empty lot may be easier to look at than an empty, window-less shell of an eight-story apartment complex.

• 3 weeks later...

There appears to be some movement on the exterior of the Truman Building on Euclid Avenue, 2 buildings east of the Cleveland Trust Rotunda.  Look to be cleaning the cornice at this point.  Was this building part of the Ohio Historic Building investment project?

There appears to be some movement on the exterior of the Truman Building on Euclid Avenue, 2 buildings east of the Cleveland Trust Rotunda. Look to be cleaning the cornice at this point. Was this building part of the Ohio Historic Building investment project?

Is that 1030 Euclid Ave.?  If so, check page 91 of the Random Cleveland Developments Thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Geis and Coyne families float plans for technology center on Euclid Avenue

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

November 18, 2009, 5:52PM

The Geis and Coyne families are floating plans for a technology center on Euclid Avenue -- a 98,000-square-foot building that would be built speculatively, without tenants in hand.

The Euclid Tech Center would sit at the southwest corner of Euclid and East 69th Street, in Cleveland's Midtown corridor. The $20 million project would create office, lab and manufacturing space aimed at companies in biotechnology and health care services...

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/geis_and_coyne_families_float.html

Ugh.  From that article:

...the project design, which calls for a more suburban-style, single-story building surrounded by hundreds of parking spots.

That style of building does not mesh with zoning guidelines, which call for multiple stories and a range of uses on that portion of Euclid Avenue. Geis said he is trying to compete with suburban properties and provide suburban amenities, like safe and ample parking, in an urban environment. The developers are working with city design officials and community development group MidTown Cleveland Inc.

My suggestion: the best way for the city to compete with the suburbs is to offer something that is different from the suburbs. Besides, Cleveland isn't competing with the suburbs, nor should it try. Cleveland competes with other cities that are offering an urban product which Cleveland continues to struggle to figure out what that is. This article is indicative that not everyone understands what makes a competitive urban product.

Here's a tip: if you want creative young professionals to come to your building, don't offer a disconnected, boring suburban campus that offers a setting which looks more like a minimum security prison (aka: Pierre's Ice Cream, Applied Industrial Technologies, etc.).

They invented this really cool thing that creative young people love: It's called a city. Stop redesigning it like a suburb. No wonder young people want to get the hell out of here.

OK, it's time to play a quick quiz on urban land use design. Will you please tell me....

Is this a suburban office building or a minimum security prison?

Minimum-securityprison.jpg

Answer: it's the women's minimum security prison in Danbury, Conn. where the domestic diva herself Martha Stewart served her time.

And is this a suburban office building or a minimum security prison?

Albion-PA-Minimumsecurityprison.jpg

Answer: it's a minimum security prison in Albion, PA.

Now wouldn't these mixed-use, street-side buildings be more attractive to young, creative people and more appropriate for a major transit corridor in a city's (not a suburb's) densest area, across the street from one of the oldest structures in Cleveland (Dunham Tavern)?

This is a new building with offices over leasable sidewalk-presence spaces on Spruce Street in Boulder, CO...

Mixeduse-BoulderCO-SpruceSt.jpg

Or Stetson Square on Clifton near the University of Cincinnati and its medical facilities (not too different from Euclid Avenue in Midtown)...

Mixeduse-StetsonSquare-Cincinnati.jpg

There's this energy-efficient gem, designed by Green Group Studios, offering patios for lots of interaction with the street or just working on the laptop and talking on the Bluetooth on a lovely, crisp autumn day. There's no confusing this with a minimum security prison, er, suburban office campus....

Mixeduse-GreenGroupStudios.jpg

Even this Gateway-area office development over retail/restaurant spaces in Salt Lake City, which has more of an institutional block-look to it, relates better with the urban street and will soon be proximately accessible to the light-rail transit line under construction. I fail to understand why such urbanized planning is considered undesireable on Cleveland's main street between its two largest employment centers....

Mixeduse-SaltLakeCity-GatewayLRT.jpg

I think that, from now on, the City of Cleveland should require all developers to pass an land use planning aptitude test.

This is hands down the most troubling development to date.  Why does "having ample secure parking" require a "suburban style" office?  Can't someone dust off Ferchill's Midtown technology center drawings and show these people it's not that hard to build something up to the street, and still have "ample secure parking" in the rear of the building?

I don't know what's worse, having a city with a hemoraging tax base eager for people to develop anything that increases the tax base... or a city full of private sector developers that have absolutely zero vision.  This isn't that hard.  I sugest people start writing Bob Brown immdiately.

I e-mailed him, many of his staff and the mayor's economic development assistant.