ryanlammi

Cincinnati: CUF: Development and News

21 minutes ago, jwulsin said:

Agreed. Very curious about the design. The article says that design will begin this fall and take about a year. 180,000 sq ft, $86 million, 24 classrooms, and 230 offices... that means it's going to be a pretty big and substantial building. Definitely curious to see which architects they go with and what kind of form the building takes. Just as a point of comparison to the new Lindner College of Business building (225,000 sq ft, $120 million), this new one will be 80% the size with 70% the budget. 

It must be a pretty tall building seeing the size of that lot is not that large.

7 hours ago, jwulsin said:

Agreed. Very curious about the design. The article says that design will begin this fall and take about a year. 180,000 sq ft, $86 million, 24 classrooms, and 230 offices... that means it's going to be a pretty big and substantial building. Definitely curious to see which architects they go with and what kind of form the building takes. Just as a point of comparison to the new Lindner College of Business building (225,000 sq ft, $120 million), this new one will be 80% the size with 70% the budget. 

Speaking of which I am extremely disappointed with the new business school design. I walk by it weekly and just think wow looks like a prison in the middle of the campus...

13 hours ago, savadams13 said:

I walk by it weekly and just think wow looks like a prison in the middle of the campus...

Just prepping them for an office job in Blue Ash

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, savadams13 said:

Speaking of which I am extremely disappointed with the new business school design. I walk by it weekly and just think wow looks like a prison in the middle of the campus...

I agree that it looks rather monolithic and imposing (typologically associated with jails). I have only seen renderings though, so it likely looks different IRL. Does anyone have any photos of the construction progress? Henning Larsen is an internationally renowned architecture firm and this is their first US project, so we should have high expectations for the design quality.

Update: Did a little digging and found this image

1269330231_UCbizbuilding.thumb.PNG.387f19c7b492f8f9c6df38a7cfe735a2.PNG

Edited by Largue

When you look at it from an aerial view, it blends in with Sigma Sigma commons with the green roofs and non perpendicular angles.   Seems like the architect focused more on that aspect than the ground level view.

Loving it. That massing is unique and negotiates its adjacent buildings and Sigma Sigma Commons well. The interior is pretty phenomenal. Soaring spaces, intimate spaces, a ridiculously cantilevered stair in the central atrium, exceptional courtyard. I wish the paneling on the outside of the building was a lighter, warmer grey or white. The rooftop vegetation is precedent setting. There shouldn't be another building built on campus that can't create rooftop ecosystems like this one. It should be a sustainability priority. I like how the building creates a quad between ERC and CRC. I could go on. 

• Like 3

Is that a cornice of vinyl siding?

It’s a brand new building it’s not like a historic cornice was damaged from years of neglect and then cheaply repaired to keep the building habitable...

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

It's like the new construction you see in Queens.  I bet there's a bank of gas meters right by the front door too. 

• Like 1

They were so close to being unnoticeable, forgettable, and meh, but then they slap on a poorly proportioned vinyl cornice and transform into annoying, cheap, and distracting. While I doubt this is in a historic district this is almost exactly what the Cincinnati Historic Guidelines ask for: Base, Middle, Top. Ordered windows. Conservative materials. This building is an example of why those guidelines are dangerous: this building could pass and HCB hearing and get built in OTR. 

It would never make it through a hearing/review.  Vinyl cornices aren't a thing, nor is that huge arch on the first floor.  The review board would deny it instantly for those two things alone. 

• Like 2

So many issue with this building.

1) What is that blank brick wall on the corner, and why does it extend past the 'cornice'?

2) Why is the cornice vinyl?

3) Why is the center part of the cornice raised? It looks like a terrible alteration and new facade covering an old Mission Revival building or something.

4)  The low archway and very deeply recessed commercial space

I believe if i remember correctly that the weird growth is the elevator shaft and the hall passes those front windows in route to the 'front' and 'rear' apts. The windows are in the hall, the front apt i believe may have no windows in the living room and maybe a small one to the side in a back room. It has been a bit but that part stuck in my head. 

It reminds me of the many Italianate buildings in CUF that have fallen into disrepair over the years and had their fronts and cornices covered by awful vinyl siding.

The thing it does well is granularity. Since it only has the frontage footage similar to a traditional historic building it’s quirks are localized and remain quirks instead of defining the whole block. The massing is good from the angle of the photo with the two historic buildings to the right. 

23 minutes ago, SleepyLeroy said:

Well i was half right. The units are side by side and those on the Elevator side are the windowless living room units. http://www.studenthousingmgmt.com/cincinnati/?p=836

Yes that layout would seem claustrophobic to me. 

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

11 hours ago, nicker66 said:

The NIOSH facility is on hold due to the CDC being unable to obtain funding.  

Any more details? Has anything been said regarding timing?

16 hours ago, jwulsin said:

Any more details? Has anything been said regarding timing?

No.  They have not received funding and do not know if/when they will. 

The attachment on that thing is amazingly tall.  There can't bee too many of those.  The month-long delay we just saw might have been a wait for this thing to show up.