Cincinnati: CUF / Corryville: Development and News

Guest jmecklenborg

This place opened during the recession, either 2009 or 2010.  It was the first of the new wave of mega-ugly student housing blocks. 

Also, there is some sort of small bank opening up directly across from it and the Taco Bell. 

• 1 month later...

This one? I bumped it parking more times than I'd like to count during my years of going to Lance's Art Supply store on design school levels of sleep. I wonder if they are redeveloping it along with the lot? Would be ashamed to lose it to parking or not take the opportunity to fill the gap between the existing buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1285979,-84.5200604,3a,75y,184.49h,96.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s58Cwqd9S168IOlNJ_rEYTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Guest jmecklenborg

Yes, that building.  The rates that apartments are fetching in that area are so high that it would be great to see an infill project consolidate both lots, but I suspect that there is a larger move in play to acquire everything from Topper's over to Lance's.  So good-bye Uncle Woody's. 

Speaking of demolitions in the area... on Statford Ave in University Heights, there's a new, quite large concrete structure being built at 2810-2814 Stratford Ave. I'm not sure how many stories it will be, but I assume since they're using concrete it'll be at least 4 stories. Previously there was a house and a multi-family building on these parcels.

mahH6BJcAVSiZwe9PZ2IfJkSx2xSzh-r004FauzyLBpFyH9p7NXWvQ4QrAlHZBZsfKJCj_mQGq7iMeypbRvIkhNlNT5qrA0LHjkoIgqIClcqg6dQgedZEVVqk_DL0dd-IUk4x7wKCYo=w1224-h918-no

Guest jmecklenborg

^^Jwulsin, that project has been underway for about 2 months...I keep forgetting to take a photo of it. 

So there will be an infill building.

Good to hear...but where will Topper's insane delivery drivers park now?  That has to be one of the toughest places to work as a delivery driver. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Read a rumor elsewhere that the coffee shop currently inside the former Top Cat's building will move to the former Buzz Coffee House (most recently TAZA hookah lounge) when Top Cat's returns. 

• 1 month later...

Those things really apply to dorms though, right? I think I had one meeting when I lived in Daniels and it was right when we moved in to vote on whether or not the bathrooms were to be gendered or not.

You are under no obligation to attend meetings and RAs can't enter your dorm without your permission, so they really don't have any authority to do anything anyway.

Guest jmecklenborg

And more freedom. No meetings or STD lectures. No RAs peeking in your fridge. No towels at the bottom of the door.

I asked my sophomore year RA why he wanted to be an RA and he said "because of the free electricity".  I made a face and said really.  He said yeah because he really liked Glade Plug-ins.  I was like...o..kay. 

A month or two later his door was open so I stuck my head in.  Every single outlet had Glad Plug-ins in it, and he even had a power strip with multiple Glad Plug-ins. 

A month or two later his door was open so I stuck my head in.  Every single outlet had Glad Plug-ins in it, and he even had a power strip with multiple Glad Plug-ins. 

Lol, that's the best thing I've ever read. People are so weird.

Guest jmecklenborg

Also I know some guys who are renting a 3-bedroom house on Coy St. (obscure street off of Straight).  They were renting the place for $1,100 for the past 2-3 years.  Now they're being booted so the new owners can charge $1,900 for the same house.  So well over $500 per room. 

Seems like the CUF homes on the market are using $50,000 per bedroom as the going sales price, which assumes $500/mo rent.  There is a 4-bedroom listed right now on W. Clifton at $199k and a 5-bedroom (2 units) for $240k.  The second looks a little questionable since the fifth bedroom is in the basement. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that is just unfortunate...

Edit: Hold up, they wasted 2/3 of the front elevation for the elevator and a hall and left the living room windowless in 1/2 of the units? Ugh. If they just flipped the orientation of the front stair/elevator/hall core and the living room so the core was centered on the building then the living room could extend to the front wall and have windows and less square footage would be dedicated to core elements.

I have a co-living client who likes 5 and 6 bedroom apartments and lay these types of units out all the time in buildings just like this. There are way better solutions than these floor plans.

Well that is just unfortunate...

Edit: Hold up, they wasted 2/3 of the front elevation for the elevator and a hall and left the living room windowless in 1/2 of the units? Ugh. If they just flipped the orientation of the front stair/elevator/hall core and the living room so the core was centered on the building then the living room could extend to the front wall and have windows and less square footage would be dedicated to core elements.

I have a co-living client who likes 5 and 6 bedroom apartments and lay these types of units out all the time in buildings just like this. There are way better solutions than these floor plans.

ugh. I'm no architect but having a living room with no windows???? And your suggestion of flipping the stairs/elevator with the living room makes perfect sense.

jmicha[/member] - move back to Cincy so you can fix these things!

Yeah, the layout is unforunate, but I am surprised and impressed that they are going with this level of density. They are describing them as "5 bedroom apartments" even though it looks like the bedrooms will be leased on an individual basis — so there's a total of 10 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, and 4 bathrooms per floor. I wish developers would propose this type of living situation for other projects in the urban core, not just for "student housing."

I am surprised and impressed that they are going with this level of density(...)I wish developers would propose this type of living situation for other projects in the urban core, not just for "student housing."

Yeah, that level of density is really impressive. These types of buildings can quickly absorb demand and keep prices in check. I hate the look of the exterior of this building, but am impressed with the developer's decision to go this dense.

Move back to Cincy so you can fix these things!

Lol, I will probably wind up back in Cincy at some point later in life. Hopefully by that time developers will have figured out how to do high density well.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I saw construction photos somewhere. Is the first phase of it underway?

I saw them doing stuff behind the parking garage the last week of April.  They may have just been removing trees.

Guest jmecklenborg

I thought I saw construction photos somewhere. Is the first phase of it underway?

Yes but not the main hospital building.  The current apartment complex is on land that was mostly vacant for as long as I remember.  They did tear down two homes on University Ct. and there was a large home on the opposite side of University at Fortune until about 2013 but that land is being used as a staging area.  So maybe they will put some parking there eventually. 

Oy. Reading the articles can help:

"Trinitas Ventures, an owner, investor, developer, builder and manager of commercial real estate, purchased the 5.8-acre parcel at 311 Straight St. in September 2017 for $27 million. Last year, it started construction on the first phase of redevelopment, the Deacon, a student housing development on the northeast corner of Straight Street and University Court. This $108 million project wraps around an existing parking garage and fills what was mostly vacant property."

Guest jmecklenborg

It's pretty obvious that they're going to want to do an L-shaped apartment building in this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1302764,-84.5217401,148m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hopefully the frat house at the corner and the Delta Delta Delta house will not be touched.  They aren't fancy homes but Clifton Ave. would lose some character in the way it was by the dreadful English-style Stratford Heights complex.  Two homes still stood in the grassy area until about 2012. 

This seems to me like the logical Phase 2 of the project.  Meanwhile, I can't predict what they have planned for the Goetz Building and the main hospital complex.  It looks like Goetz could be converted to apartments but I doubt they could get premium rents. 

The main building is a mess.  Do the floors stay level between the many sections?  I don't know.  The older sections are very narrow like the Goetz Building but the 1984 section is deep.  It's obvious that they had windowless offices in the middle of each floor.  So new apartments in that space would have to be narrow but deep.  Again, I'm suspicious that they won't be able to get premium rents and so that means the 1984 section has a date with the wrecking ball. 

Guest jmecklenborg

It looks to me like they could do just one big 4~ bedroom apartment per floor in the old section facing Clifton and get premium rents...they would certainly be unique apartments for the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1289325,-84.5206572,3a,28.2y,328.87h,96.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbkKUAudKo0j-iPdzZ4lUFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks like traditional apartments could go in the 1950s~ section:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1297153,-84.5213162,3a,75y,186.75h,120.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suzlRfJPu2aM43xNU9_L1Fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It looks to me like they could do just one big 4~ bedroom apartment per floor in the old section facing Clifton and get premium rents...they would certainly be unique apartments for the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1289325,-84.5206572,3a,28.2y,328.87h,96.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbkKUAudKo0j-iPdzZ4lUFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1297153,-84.5213162,3a,75y,186.75h,120.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suzlRfJPu2aM43xNU9_L1Fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The footprint of the old hospital is over 6,000 sq ft. That would be a MASSIVE 4-bedroom apartment (even after you account for lost square footage for elevators/mechanicals/stairs/etc). I definitely hope they'd find a more efficient use than just putting one big apartment per floor, which would come out to an average of over 1,000 sq feet per bedroom. The developer is open to mixed use, so some portion of the building(s) could be used for hotel or office space.

The ~1950's addition has a footprint of about 7,000 sq ft.

The ~1980's addition has a footprint of about 18,000 sq ft.

The free-standing Goetz Center (at corner of Straight/University Ct) has a footprint of about 8,500 sq ft.

deaconess.thumb.JPG.293ad417aae0752ac8f1fa2e663ccc6d.JPG

Guest jmecklenborg

The footprint of the old hospital is over 6,000 sq ft. That would be a MASSIVE 4-bedroom apartment (even after you account for lost square footage for elevators/mechanicals/stairs/etc).

I should have clarified I meant just the part facing Clifton, not the L along Straight.  I could see a fraternity or sorority renting out a space like that long-term. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Yes, I'm hoping they can save the original hospital building facing Clifton Avenue (and the smokestack!) but the 1980s addition facing Straight Street can go.

What's funny (actually sad) about the original building is that it still has the original door but you can't use it, just like Christ Hospital.  There is enough space there for a bar patio if they were to put a restaurant of some sort into the first floor. 

Yes, I'm hoping they can save the original hospital building facing Clifton Avenue (and the smokestack!) but the later addition facing Straight Street can go.

Yeah - I hope they keep the smokestack! I don't care much about saving the 1950's renovation or the Goetz Center (free-standing). If done properly, a renovation of 1980's addition could be cool (a bit like the 580 Walnut building downtown) and create a nice contrast with the historic hospital building on Clifton. The 1950's addition is almost certainly higher density than anything we'd get with new construction... and the rooftop probably has awesome views. So... I say leave it and renovate it.

Guest jmecklenborg

This may be getting a little far down the road, but with all this development coming to Straight St near Clifton, I wonder if there will be any demand for the vacant and underused parcels near the bottom of Straight St along McMicken and Central Parkway.

For example

https://tinyurl.com/yc74dvjd

https://tinyurl.com/yaj7bobh

https://tinyurl.com/yddh5sov

Developers seem to keep finding things to tear up on the top of the hill.  The big lot between Clifton, Probasco, and Riddle remains, and the Deaconess redevelopment could approach or surpass 1,000 housing units.

^Being at the bottom of the hill is significantly less attractive because a) it becomes unwalkable to campus and b) loud noise from 75 and the screeching train tracks.

The big empty lots between Probasco, Clifton and Riddle are mostly owned by Tri-Health / Good Sam... so I assume they're planning to build something there. The one house at 328/330 Probasco might be holding out for a big payout.

Guest jmecklenborg

The big empty lots between Probasco, Clifton and Riddle are mostly owned by Tri-Health / Good Sam... so I assume they're planning to build something there. The one house at 328/330 Probasco might be holding out for a big payout.

Yeah, whoever that guy is, he's a genius.

McMicken/Tafel/Enslin/Eliza/Halstead is getting less-and-less seedy each year.  More UC and UC-type people are getting places down there to escape the high rents in CUF. 

That whole area was still bad news around 2012.  It's still not great but it's pretty okay compared to how it used be. 

Guest jmecklenborg

^What's interesting is that the ROW was built over private land in this area, not in line with the canal, because they knew that trains could not maintain the design speed of 45mph around the curve.  One or two times I have attempted to take that curve on Central Parkway at 45mph and have nearly squealed the tires! 

Read a rumor elsewhere that the coffee shop currently inside the former Top Cat's building will move to the former Buzz Coffee House (most recently TAZA hookah lounge) when Top Cat's returns. 

The storefront of the old Taza / Paradise Hookah building is being restored. Looks like they're bringing back a front entrance at the corner, as was presumably the original layout of the building. Most recently, the only entrance was up University Ave on the side of the building. It always makes me happy to see partially filled-in storefronts get restored. Hopefully they'll ditch the tinted glass too.

jixRaUJ3PpECa8ty89SkVcXoftqp9ES1e1MWNvjsxiBf2AXaXSNA0vrsss0cF11LhnateIfsf4-qAnQfXKbLIXF7gPAkUw-dy_-ILZV-mpXf80BTsJFrjJE1LzSl8gnFRo-EqoL1umY=w1314-h918-no