Guest heightsfan

Cleveland: Downtown: Cleveland Athletic Club Redevelopment

Does anyone know if all the windows will retain that unusual gray-blue color?  They need to be painted anyway, for a first-class renovation.

Edited by lafont

I’m glad the sidewalk is finally open and scaffolding is gone..... but do we need to make the 4’ wide sidewalk even narrower by putting a potted plant on it??

C39AB3F0-751D-4DB1-99B1-B33A9B91F702.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Poison 3

3 minutes ago, mack34 said:

I’m glad the sidewalk is finally open and scaffolding is gone..... but do we need to make the 4’ wide sidewalk even narrower by putting a potted plant on it??

Hopefully just for the opening of the building and will go away in time

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mack34 said:

Go on a diet! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrclifton88 said:

🤣 @MyTwoSense have you seen this sidewalk in person?  It’s actually laughable in how ridiculously narrow it is. I’m not sure what anyone was thinking here... I’m glad at least the sidewalk is OPEN. but really ?? 

I'm svelte...the sidewalk seems normal to me.  LOL

Actually, I have not paid attention to this section of Euclid, but will going forward.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrclifton88 said:

🤣 @MyTwoSense have you seen this sidewalk in person?  It’s actually laughable in how ridiculously narrow it is. I’m not sure what anyone was thinking here... I’m glad at least the sidewalk is OPEN. but really ?? 

There are similarly narrow stretches on the sidewalk of Kalākaua Ave. in Honolulu, one of the most heavily pedestrianized sidewalks in the country.  

I’m not saying the narrow sidewalk is ideal, but don’t think it’s a huge problem and certainly not one that’s unique to Cleveland.

• Like 1

Great question. They are still working on the facade. The part at street level was being worked on yesterday- they are also installing up-lighting and sconces. I noticed last night the up-lighting at the top of the building is on. I’ll try to get a photo tonight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terdolph said:

Is this thing ever going to be finished?

You have now posed this question on every active project in Cleveland. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

this project legit took 6 years.

Demo started in January of 2017. Construction started in spring of 2018. It’s still 2019. #terdolphmuch?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

And construction didn't start until then because some of the previous investors bilked the others and then it languished in court receivership.

Edit - whoops, I confused this with the JHB development.

Edited by Cavalier Attitude

Let's not forget this building was on the verge of being too far gone to save- the water damage and resulting mold and rot damage was extremely extensive- not only to the inside but to the facade.  Its sometimes frustrating to see a project take so long to get to completion but isn't the end result worth it when you think about the alternative? 

Edited by mrclifton88
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As promised... more facade lighting is being installed along the bottom as well. Also- pretty sure they are rebuilding the pinnacles that used to line the top.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.13.16 PM.png

Edited by mrclifton88
  • Like 17
  • Love 6

10 hours ago, mrclifton88 said:

pretty sure they are rebuilding the pinnacles that used to line the top

That would be fantastic. One of my favorite features of the building.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrclifton88 said:

As promised... more facade lighting is being installed along the bottom as well. Also- pretty sure they are rebuilding the pinnacles that used to line the top.

nice to see a building come to life after being dormant for so long

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, GISguy said:

Looking through these photos it makes sense why the renovation and restoration has taken so long: 

Cleveland-Cleveland Athletic Club (OHPTC)

Agreed.  Sometimes I think/believe, if people don't see physical work or results they think a project is dead 

In addition, many people have never initiated or managed a renovation.  so they don't know what to think/expect.  No magnify that based on a project of this size.  Many times, the projects not seen, are the most time consuming and expensive.  

• Like 2

Commercial building permit filed this morning for the retail space in the Athlon which means that someone probably rented the space. No details yet.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Not sure who is behind it but there is some kind of auto showroom planned for the retail space at the Athlon, taking up a good portion of it, maybe the whole store front. Also not sure if it's just temporary or permanent. But apparently that space is no longer available.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Poison 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, freethink said:

Not sure who is behind it but there is some kind of auto showroom planned for the retail space at the Athlon, taking up a good portion of it, maybe the whole store front. Also not sure if it's just temporary or permanent. But apparently that space is no longer available.

Probably Ferrari to test the market 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2019 at 8:13 PM, mrclifton88 said:

Those windows that becomes narrower the further up you go makes the building look taller than it actually is. Its play with perspective makes it a very unusual building indeed!

• Like 3

Yup

Work Location

1118 EUCLID AVE
CLEVELAND OH 44115

Project Description:

AUTO SHOWROOM

Owner:CAC BUILDINGS PROPERTIES, LLC

Responsible Party information

TONY DI GERONIMO 
5500 OLD BRECKSVILLE RD
INDEPENDENCE, OH, 44131

Contact Phone

Size of Building: 8527k

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I think it’s a super exciting development, and shows how far downtown has come. We’re going to have a lot of retail spots to fill in the coming years in a tough retail environment (Euclid Grand, May Company, Centennial etc.) We’ll need a good mix.  The perception factor from visitors, suburbanites, foreign travelers, etc. is probably more valuable than the business itself. Be pretty cool to have a high end dealer in our center city. I’d say it’s good sign of economic vibrancy and will draw attention from other businesses that hadn’t considered doing business downtown for decades. 

Cant wait for Cleveland.com to run the story. I can already imagine the comments 🔥 

Edited by marty15
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We just walked past an hour ago. I was telling my young son that the space apparently is going to become some kind of auto showroom. He casually observed that the back wall of the space has a double-wide up and over garage door put in it...

• Like 5

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

From 1922, Cleveland Public Library file....

EJwNvm5U0AAq4dn?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

On 11/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, freethink said:

Yup

Work Location

1118 EUCLID AVE
CLEVELAND OH 44115

Project Description:

AUTO SHOWROOM

Owner:CAC BUILDINGS PROPERTIES, LLC

Responsible Party information

TONY DI GERONIMO 
5500 OLD BRECKSVILLE RD
INDEPENDENCE, OH, 44131

Contact Phone

Size of Building: 8527k

If it doesn't work out I'd imagine a showroom would be easy to turn into something else retail wise- open floor concept of retail. 

But I hope it works out, like other people said it could really add to the downtown vibe and would be pretty big city feeling and unique.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GISguy said:

If it doesn't work out I'd imagine a showroom would be easy to turn into something else retail wise- open floor concept of retail. 

But I hope it works out, like other people said it could really add to the downtown vibe and would be pretty big city feeling and unique.

They probably chose this location because of the 10+ minute light at east 12th lol

Captive audience

Edited by marty15
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, infrafreak said:

Anyone got any updates with respect to the retail space?

No new permit filings regarding the retail spot that I've seen. Plan still just says auto show room and sales.