Guest heightsfan

Cleveland: Downtown: Cleveland Athletic Club Redevelopment

Nice article about the progress being made on the CAC Building:

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/CleAthleticClub120717.aspx

Really shows what kind of shape the building was in and why it has taken so long to get to where were at today.  This is going to fill in a very significant patch of Euclid.  Now just waiting on JHB Building and 925 and we've got a complete street!

Really shows what kind of shape the building was in and why it has taken so long to get to where were at today.  This is going to fill in a very significant patch of Euclid.  Now just waiting on JHB Building and 925 and we've got a complete street!

I honestly think we say JHB demolished in the next 2-3 years.

Very sobering to read that this entire building was one bad winter away from being completely unsavable.

I can not fathom why in this day and age the city couldn't employ a skeleton crew of architects or engineers to make sure that buildings aren't being destroyed by water damage, holes in the roof, etc. In this instance the clogged roof drains resulted in untold millions worth of damage. Crazy!

Very informative article.  This whole project reads like a mini Playhouse Square theaters story-historic, saved just in the knick of time and what appears to be a careful renovation by a dedicated group of Clevelanders who care for the city.

I recall I attended my first office Christmas party at the CAC as a law clerk in the early 80s.  I felt like a real grown up.

Very informative article.  This whole project reads like a mini Playhouse Square theaters story-historic, saved just in the knick of time and what appears to be a careful renovation by a dedicated group of Clevelanders who care for the city.

I recall I attended my first office Christmas party at the CAC as a law clerk in the early 80s.  I felt like a real grown up.

I thought it must have been heart-wrenching to be a member and seeing the gradual decline of the place. But like a slowly sinking version of the Titanic, I don't think it ever dawned on anyone that the place would end up in such bad condition.

I thought it must have been heart-wrenching to be a member and seeing the gradual decline of the place. But like a slowly sinking version of the Titanic, I don't think it ever dawned on anyone that the place would end up in such bad condition.

I was in the CAC once back in the early 2000's.  A friend of a friend was a member and took a few of us there for some drinks between a wedding & reception that we were at downtown.  We were only on one floor and from what I remember it was still in decent condition.

Always thought back to that time when driving down Euclid and seeing the CAC sit there empty all those years.  Glad the building is finally getting some attention!!!

^"Cleveland Euclid Hotel Associates, LLC: $2 million toward restoration of the Cleveland Athletic Club complex. The 15 story, 253,000-square-foot building has been vacant since 2008 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The redevelopment ultimately will provide 161 units of 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments......"

FINALLY some residential units that are larger than 2brs. You can't keep families Downtown without them--and they're likely to skip the inner neighborhoods for the burbs if they're not provided.

Financing for long-delayed and tortured #CLE Athletic Club renovation as apartments finally scheduled to close - in late January. https://t.co/6zQTL3pakE

Another CLE historic gem about to restore the grandeur of Euclid Ave w/ renovation of The Cleveland Athletic Club Good P3 w/ @portofcleveland @CuyahogaCounty & @CityofCleveland using innovative PILOTs. Future looking model against loss of HTCs

PILOTs?

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2018/01/cuyahoga_county_to_provide_final_2_million_for_563_million_renovation_of_cleveland_athletic_club.html#incart_river_home

Finally, this project seems to be on the fast track.  County council is expected to approve the final piece of financing ($2M loan) TODAY, the complete financing package is scheduled to close Feb. 15, leasing will begin in August, and construction is expected to be done by the end of the year!

Details are also exciting--140 one BR units leasing at $1,250-1,700/month, 26 two-BR units at $2,000-2,900/month.  8,000 SF of street-level retail on Euclid Ave.  8,000 more SF of"commercial space" on the 7th floor as well.  Plus, a brand new 16th floor of penthouse units on the current building's roof.

Great news for what should become the centerpiece of Euclid Avenue's revival between E. 9th St. and Playhouse Square!

Members of the Cleveland Restoration Society took a tour yesterday and they posted some pics to their Facebook page:

The historic Cleveland Athletic Club building, built in 1911, is under total renovation. With the help of a county loan, the 50,000 sq. ft. building will be complete this year & is expected to generate more than $500k in property taxes for the @CityofCleveland & @CLEMetroSchools

Video https://t.co/aje78ZsXY1

Cleveland Athletic Club revamp nears finish with 163 new apartments (photos)

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The bowling balls and gym bags are gone.

So are the bowling alley and the gym, for that matter.

Once a mecca for networking, revelry and sport, the Cleveland Athletic Club building is a shell. Inside, 140 to 200 construction workers labor each day to meet a looming Oct. 1 deadline for bringing life - the first apartment tenants - back to one of downtown's best-known addresses.

By mid-March, a team of local developers hopes to finish their long-awaited conversion of the building into 163 apartments. The seventh-floor ballroom, which hosted its last Christmas party in 2007 just before the private club closed, will become office space. Storefronts will line the street at 1118-1148 Euclid Ave.

https://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2018/07/cleveland_athletic_club_buildi.html

I took a tour of the model 2 bedroom apartment today.  Gorgeous apartment....and the indoor pool is a nice perk.  They are really going high end on this one!!

One exterior pic from today -- looks a lot cleaner which brings out the detail in the masonry

20181025_170351.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

I believe they said 163 units total. Also, the floor with the fire place is 9,000 SQ ft designed specifically for office space. 60 different floor plans, which I found fascinating. They already have multiple units leased according to the management company. 

Great view!  It’s easy to forget sometimes the magnitude of the Athletic Club, JHB Buildings AND May Co. all being restored at the same time. A few years ago we could’ve only dreamed of this!

• Like 3