Jump to content
buildingcincinnati

Cincinnati: Random Development and News

Recommended Posts

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Findlay Playground was fenced off two weeks ago.  Who wants to bet it never reopens?  Too easy for Cranley to sell off this city-owned land to a donor. 

 

playground.JPG

 

 

It's now February 13.  The playground has been fenced off for 3 months with absolutely no construction activity. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

It's now February 13.  The playground has been fenced off for 3 months with absolutely no construction activity.


https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/over-the-rhine/city-to-close-renovate-findlay-playground-in-effort-to-stop-crime

 

"In an assessment of the park, police wrote that interior fencing and seating should be removed. Lighting should be increased. New features could include an expanded playground, a dog park, workout stations and a running track."

 

"...they plan to tear up the park and hope to have it renovated by the spring or summer of 2019."

 

They better tear it up and rebuild quick if they want it done by then....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Largue said:


https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/over-the-rhine/city-to-close-renovate-findlay-playground-in-effort-to-stop-crime

 

"In an assessment of the park, police wrote that interior fencing and seating should be removed. Lighting should be increased. New features could include an expanded playground, a dog park, workout stations and a running track."

 

"...they plan to tear up the park and hope to have it renovated by the spring or summer of 2019."

 

They better tear it up and rebuild quick if they want it done by then....

As someone who is relatively plugged into OTR projects/CPD/CRC/etc I am becoming more convinced no one has any idea what is actually happening with this project. There was very little neighborhood input into the closure, it was basically declared by CPD and a handful of representative organizations (many not actually in the neighborhood). What little has been shared is that CRC received $25K or $50K from Duke for community engagement to figure out what to even build and that process has not even started yet. I would bet on 2 years at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mcmicken said:

As someone who is relatively plugged into OTR projects/CPD/CRC/etc I am becoming more convinced no one has any idea what is actually happening with this project. There was very little neighborhood input into the closure, it was basically declared by CPD and a handful of representative organizations (many not actually in the neighborhood). What little has been shared is that CRC received $25K or $50K from Duke for community engagement to figure out what to even build and that process has not even started yet. I would bet on 2 years at this point.

 

Would feel a lot more comfortable with 3cdc in charge if major changes are to be made.

 

It’s speculated the county is funding a second garage as part of FCC deal in vicinity of Findlay Market. Could a subterranean garage here be in play or is it too far from the stadium? Almost need one here for development on Vine Street north of Liberty.


www.cincinnatiideas.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive and/or walk by this park every day - coincidentally, this morning was the first time I've seen anyone working on the site. There were a few guys and a bobcat, I couldn't tell what they were getting set up for and didn't have time to stick around. They were on the Vine Street side.

 

That said, I appreciate the park being closed. The amount of litter left behind on a daily basis alone was enough to make it feel unsafe (who knows what you might step on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, thebillshark said:

 

Would feel a lot more comfortable with 3cdc in charge if major changes are to be made.

 

It’s speculated the county is funding a second garage as part of FCC deal in vicinity of Findlay Market. Could a subterranean garage here be in play or is it too far from the stadium? Almost need one here for development on Vine Street north of Liberty.

 

Places a chip on: Hamilton County builds a garage with mixed use development above on Elm and Race, and, a really unique market facing mixed use development surrounding the outdoor stalls on Hazen and Fenwick Alleys. The existing Findlay Park is paved over during the construction to provide temporary Findlay Market parking. While the new development is being built, the city conducts a community engagement process much like the one that was used for Ziegler Park. New garage and development opens, and then the park goes under construction. 

 

speculation =/= endorsement

 

County Garage.PNG

Edited by Chas Wiederhold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Findlay Playground was a replacement for the baseball diamonds that were where Findlay Market's main parking lot is.  That's why it's called the Findlay Playground and why it has a never-used baseball diamond. 

 

I would like to see Findlay Playground reduced to the center of that block and a hotel or apartment building on the east half of the space between Republic and Vine.  Republic St. should be restored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old neon Western-Southern billboard is currently exposed.  This is the one on the Camp Washington section of Straight St. that predates I-75.  They covered it up sometime in the mid-90s.  Maybe they're bringing it back, like the Citgo sign in Boston. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

The old neon Western-Southern billboard is currently exposed.  This is the one on the Camp Washington section of Straight St. that predates I-75.  They covered it up sometime in the mid-90s.  Maybe they're bringing it back, like the Citgo sign in Boston. 

 

Visible in this 2007 streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1304621,-84.5337285,3a,75y,12.5h,131.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-CbCw9cx8pXHyyKuTnJ62g!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MIght not be a remodel, the latest wrap it had on it was blown off in the wind storm we had a few weeks back. Hopefully they do something cool with it but i think it might just get rewrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reds ask city to OK commemorative benches – here's where they'll be placed

 

redsbenches*750xx1047-588-0-56.png

 

In what is sure to be an Instagram hit, the Cincinnati Reds are seeking the city’s approval to commemorate the team’s 150th season by adding benches throughout the city, according to a request the team made to the Cincinnati Planning Commission.

...

The benches would be located at Lytle Park, Findlay Market, Union Terminal, Washington Park, Smale Riverfront Park, Yeatman’s Cove, Fountain Square, Price Hill, the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Great American Ball Park, Eden Park and Oakley Square. 

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/26/reds-ask-city-to-ok-commemorative-benches-heres.html


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderator note:

 

A new thread has been created (Cincinnati: Downtown: Development and News) to discuss Downtown/Central Business District projects that don't have their own dedicated threads.

 

This thread is now called Cincinnati: Random Development and News and can be used to discuss (non-downtown) developments across the city that don't have their own thread. This thread can also be used to discuss any citywide/multi-neighborhood development issues. Please note that some neighborhoods have their own threads (i.e. Northside, Mt. Auburn) which are more appropriate places to discuss developments in those specific neighborhoods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, jmecklenborg said:

It's now February 13.  The playground has been fenced off for 3 months with absolutely no construction activity.

 

I also noticed some mobile lighting units (the little trailers with the generator on the bottom and a big pole with 4 bright lights on top) parked on McMicken near Vine. I'm not sure if this is part of CPD's effort to "clean up" the area around Findlay Playground by literally shining light on the area at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

 

I also noticed some mobile lighting units (the little trailers with the generator on the bottom and a big pole with 4 bright lights on top) parked on McMicken near Vine. I'm not sure if this is part of CPD's effort to "clean up" the area around Findlay Playground by literally shining light on the area at night.

 

Yeah I saw that this past weekend, too.  They roll that thing into Bellevue Park off Ohio a few times per year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taestell said:

 

I also noticed some mobile lighting units (the little trailers with the generator on the bottom and a big pole with 4 bright lights on top) parked on McMicken near Vine. I'm not sure if this is part of CPD's effort to "clean up" the area around Findlay Playground by literally shining light on the area at night.

 

Well there has yet to be a shooting incident in north of liberty this year so there's that...but it's also not hot yet so we'll see how long that lasts.

 

I have to imagine at some point that the crime will become lessened in the near future. Alot of new units are becoming available in north of liberty nowadays, which are putting more eyes on the streets....That said, you can't fix the cycle of poverty where every solution to an argument involves around a gun and shooting the person that made you, "mad". That will take time/migration of the low income individuals who live in otr to new low income neighborhoods in the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, taestell said:

 

I also noticed some mobile lighting units (the little trailers with the generator on the bottom and a big pole with 4 bright lights on top) parked on McMicken near Vine. I'm not sure if this is part of CPD's effort to "clean up" the area around Findlay Playground by literally shining light on the area at night.

They move the light tower around to various hotspots. It was on that block (in a couple of locations) as well as Walnut Street the past 2 summers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 8:38 AM, Ram23 said:

I drive and/or walk by this park every day - coincidentally, this morning was the first time I've seen anyone working on the site. There were a few guys and a bobcat, I couldn't tell what they were getting set up for and didn't have time to stick around. They were on the Vine Street side.

 

I never followed up on this post, but the work I saw ended up being a crew resetting the temporary fence that had apparently been knocked down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often...

 

 

ArtWorks raising money to repair defaced downtown mural

 

The ArtWorks Cincinnati Toy Heritage mural by artist Jonathan Queen, on a Towne Properties building at 23 W. Court St., was tagged by spray paint on March 30. The mural, painted in 2016, shows off toys created by Kenner Products, including Star Wars' C3PO and R2D2, Easy Bake Oven, Strawberry Shortcake and more.

 

"At ArtWorks, with 180 permanent murals and thousands of public artwork completed around the city, we're fortunate to not have many incidents of graffiti happen to our work," the organization wrote on Facebook. "We're grateful that street artists typically respect other street art."

 

The organization is raising money to repair the damage done to the mural. ArtWorks estimates that it will cost between $1,500 and $2,500 for labor, materials and sealant to repair the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, taestell said:

ArtWorks estimates that it will cost between $1,500 and $2,500 for labor, materials and sealant to repair the work.

 

I have worked on murals before, and there is an anti-graffiti clear-coat I have used to prevent expensive damage like this. Basically, you just clean the graffiti off with mineral spirits, then reapply the protective coat. For how many murals ArtWorks does, I'm surprised they don't use a product like this to minimize the damages of vandalism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yves Behar said:

That really adds to the charm.

 

At this point I'm suspecting that they're going to half-ass the Lick Run landscaping and it won't be well-maintained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One River Plaza / Skyhouse topic: 

 


"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this on immigration but also relevant here:
 

"Roberts Paideia Academy had one Hispanic student in the 2005-06 academic year.

By September 2014, the Latino enrollment in the East Price Hill elementary school had grown to almost 50%, 343 of 697 students.

Today, because of a surge since January and an unexpected spike since April 1, the number of Spanish-speaking students at Roberts has ballooned to 67% of 829 students. 

It isn't just Roberts seeing the surge; it's happening at other Cincinnati Public and Archdiocese of Cincinnati schools..."

 

 https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/05/08/cincinnati-latino-migration-east-price-hill/1128538001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That could be a great thing if the city embraces it. It would be great if Cincinnati had a neighborhood like East Price Hill, that could become like Pilsen in Chicago. Currently there are pockets in Florence, Fairfeild etc. all around the city, but having a neighborhood that really embraces its hispanic culture would be great.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for any immigrants coming to our city.  Increase the population and increase the diversity.  There are a lot of jobs like construction that these people would probably love to have.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

That could be a great thing if the city embraces it. It would be great if Cincinnati had a neighborhood like East Price Hill, that could become like Pilsen in Chicago. Currently there are pockets in Florence, Fairfeild etc. all around the city, but having a neighborhood that really embraces its hispanic culture would be great.

 

 

Pilsen, eh? As in...

 

57C3CB9C-dokken-bassist-jeff-pilson-talk

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting thing about immigrant succession in Cincinnati today is the pathway folks take once they get to the city. For Central American immigrants, they often settle first in Lower Price Hill. The absolute cheapest place to live. They then move up to East Price Hill once they reach a certain level of economic mobility. Following that they move to Springdale, Fairfield, and Hamilton. It's a really interesting flow. Not that this article mentioned it, but Catholic Charities of Southwest Ohio is a participant in this resettling. They also settle many of the West African families in the area as well. Again, often landing first in Lower or East Price Hill, and then moving along Queen City, and further west. I spent a year of AmeriCorps service working for Santa Maria Community Services' Immigration Welcome Center, which at the time was HQed at Robert's Academy. These folks are working their tails off and I think Cincinnati is lucky to have them here now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

The interesting thing about immigrant succession in Cincinnati today is the pathway folks take once they get to the city. For Central American immigrants, they often settle first in Lower Price Hill. The absolute cheapest place to live. They then move up to East Price Hill once they reach a certain level of economic mobility. Following that they move to Springdale, Fairfield, and Hamilton. It's a really interesting flow. Not that this article mentioned it, but Catholic Charities of Southwest Ohio is a participant in this resettling. They also settle many of the West African families in the area as well. Again, often landing first in Lower or East Price Hill, and then moving along Queen City, and further west. I spent a year of AmeriCorps service working for Santa Maria Community Services' Immigration Welcome Center, which at the time was HQed at Robert's Academy. These folks are working their tails off and I think Cincinnati is lucky to have them here now. 

 

Although it seems now there has been a bit of a reverse migration from Springdale and Fairfield to East Price Hill. I have some friends who work to help immigrants in the area who have confirmed this. A lot of them feel safer in the City of Cincinnati than in the suburban communities so they're going to East Price Hill. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cincy513 said:

I'm all for any immigrants coming to our city.  Increase the population and increase the diversity.  There are a lot of jobs like construction that these people would probably love to have.  

 

Exactly. The immigrant populations from Central America and Mexico have really done a lot to revitalize neighborhoods in Philly where I used to live. These places were bombed out shells of neighborhoods 10 years ago and now they're vibrant and redeveloping. There parks have been cleaned up and the streets are lively now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEPACincy said:

 

Although it seems now there has been a bit of a reverse migration from Springdale and Fairfield to East Price Hill. I have some friends who work to help immigrants in the area who have confirmed this. A lot of them feel safer in the City of Cincinnati than in the suburban communities so they're going to East Price Hill. 

 

The article mentioned this very thing:

"The Central American migration to East Price Hill and surrounding neighborhoods also has resulted in people moving from suburban Springdale and Fairfield. Fernandez said that's because some migrants believe they're safer in a larger community. They also are nearer to necessary education, social and legal services in Cincinnati as compared to other areas locally."

 

It's interesting because this is not the trend nationally. We are seeing more "ethnoburbs" as immigrants forego the historic trend of settling in urban neigborhoods and forming ethnic enclaves like Chinatowns and the like, and instead locate immediately in the suburbs. This was the case for a while, as Cincinnati had almost no Hispanic presence in the city, but a decent community up in Springdale/Fairfield/Hamilton areas, but now it's reversing. Butler County's extreme conservatism and their crazy racist sheriff is shifting the community to the city. Their loss. 

 

Anecdotally, I did some work for a non-profit about 4 years ago, and one of the projects involved handing out lunches to impoverished children. We went to a couple of sites in East Price Hill, and the overwhelming majority of children who came out to get the lunches were Mexican and Central American. A lot of those apartment buildings in this area are packed (probably way overcrowded) with Hispanic families. I don't remember seeing much of a visible presence in the area, though. Very few restaurants or stores, signs in Spanish, etc. Hopefully as the community becomes more settled, their visibility will increase, and they can populate some of the storefronts in the commercial corridors of Price Hill.

Edited by edale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Price Hill is still pretty cheap. Since hipsters are repulsed by hillbillies but Hispanics are not it allowed an inexpensive opening in an urban setting for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, edale said:

Anecdotally, I did some work for a non-profit about 4 years ago, and one of the projects involved handing out lunches to impoverished children. We went to a couple of sites in East Price Hill, and the overwhelming majority of children who came out to get the lunches were Mexican and Central American. A lot of those apartment buildings in this area are packed (probably way overcrowded) with Hispanic families. I don't remember seeing much of a visible presence in the area, though. Very few restaurants or stores, signs in Spanish, etc. Hopefully as the community becomes more settled, their visibility will increase, and they can populate some of the storefronts in the commercial corridors of Price Hill.

 

That is beginning to change. While the population in Price Hill is more Guatemalan than Mexican, several new events and venues are celebrating Central American culture. The St. Lawrence Square concert series put on by Price Hill Will features Armadura Musical and Salsaires Cincinnati. Vera Cruz restaurant has opened on Price Ave. Santa Maria, one of the oldest social services in the city, operates Literacy Center West, which is completely bilingual. There is a Mayan inspired mural across the street from MYCincinnati's current facility on Warsaw. The Kroger on Warsaw has the widest selection of Central American cuisine that I've ever seen in a Kroger. La Viña church uses Roberts Academy library for their services (that may have changed... I haven't worked there since July 2014). And the Catholic schools are nearing 50% latinx. I'm interested to see what the census results show following next year's count but I'm also worried that Trump's intimidation measures may keep some people from filling out the forms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...