buildingcincinnati

Cincinnati: Random Development and News

A look at building in the city over the past 4 years. Top 10 neighborhoods for residential building permits and total building permits from 2016 to 2019, with totals for each year. The neighborhoods are listed on the right side by rank for total number. 

Any surprises? Notice any trends? Northside doesn't have as many houses to fix up as it used to. Would like to see more multi-family projects there. Hyde Park is the king of residential projects. Evanston on an upward trend, which is not surprising.

On the total building permit front, Downtown is dominant, followed by OTR. These include multi-family projects, which are categorized as "non-residential."

res Building Permits.JPG

Total Building Permits.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:15 AM, taestell said:

Surprised to see how many projects are happening in Camp Washington along Spring Grove Avenue. After Powell Valves relocates their HQ to a new building next to the new Rhinegeist distribution building, I wonder what will happen to their existing historic building (sounds like they may continue to use it). Kao will also be renovating and expanding their building.

Do you think KAO would renovate and expand into the space left by Powell? Adding 135,000SF could simply mean renovating and expanding into the space left by Powell.

Having just pedaled my first commute along Spring Grove from Northside to downtown after having moved there over the holiday, I think Spring Grove could use some streetscape love. I get it, it's industrial, but there is definitely space for a curb separated bike highway, some trees, and maybe some bump outs at the intersections.

Edited by Chas Wiederhold

2 hours ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

Do you think KAO would renovate and expand into the space left by Powell? Adding 135,000SF could simply mean renovating and expanding into the space left by Powell.

That hadn't crossed my mind, but makes a lot of sense and it would be really cool if that happened.

2 hours ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

Having just pedaled my first commute along Spring Grove from Northside to downtown after having moved there over the holiday, I think Spring Grove could use some streetscape love. I get it, it's industrial, but there is definitely space for a curb separated bike highway, some trees, and maybe some bump outs at the intersections.

In 2016, the city redid the streetscape on some parts of Spring Grove, adding bumpouts at the intersections with Township St. and Alfred St. What the city should do, of course, is take the bike lakes that currently run from Northside and abruptly stop just north of the WHV Hopple Street, and extend them all the way to Bank St. (at the very least). But we all know that this isn't going to happen under the current city administration.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

In 2016, the city redid the streetscape on some parts of Spring Grove, adding bumpouts at the intersections with Township St. and Alfred St. What the city should do, of course, is take the bike lakes that currently run from Northside and abruptly stop just north of the WHV, and extend them all the way to Bank St. (at the very least). But we all know that this isn't going to happen under the current city administration.

You mean the bike lanes that stop just north of Hopple Street.  I got into an argument with someone at the city about the bumpouts because they fly in the face of the city's bike plan.  The response was basically, "the city is under no obligation to follow the plan." 

^ Yeah, that's what I meant. Fixed my post.

Cincinnati's bike plan is, for all intents and purposes, sitting on a shelf gathering dust while Cranley is in office. I'm hoping that the next mayor will pick it up and start building the bike lanes that the plan called for, but knowing how things work here, we will probably go back to the drawing board and create a new bike plan which will take an additional 2 or 3 years.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:38 AM, jmecklenborg said:

Jesus Christ.  The landlord just jacked the rent on the micromachines man:

Its funny this is the second time you've posted about Clancy on here yet you apparently despise her.   Last time you posted a video of her I ended up watching a bunch of her videos on my 3rd monitor during my workday and she's fairly entertaining.  Gives me insight into a young non-Cincinnati native's mindset.

So if you dislike her so much why do you keep coming across her videos on YouTube?!?

• Like 1

This is news out of Columbus but Cincinnati based company Everything But The House. They are expanding to an office in Columbus.

I mostly wrote this because I think it's annoying how these start ups try to drum up any and all type of positive press they can find. It isn't really news. Our company leases out warehouse space all the time, it's just the start up culture constantly hyping:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/01/22/everything-but-the-house-inks-lease-for-bigger.html

I wonder if the historic facade that remains is from the old coal power plant that used to be located there. I have no idea when the power plant was decommissioned and it was turned into the power substation that it is today.

Looks like a Columbus and UC grad has multiple plans and projects in the world for Cincinnati.100 mil plus tower by tower place too.

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20200210/columbus-developer-michael-schiff-wants-to-build-100-million-cincinnati-tower?template=ampart

Downtown's Mike & Carol Trotta (mens/womens clothing) is moving from their longtime home in the Mercantile Library Building (406 Walnut St) to 324 E Fourth St, across from Queen City Club.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Port authority approves aid for tens of millions of projects

montgomeryquarter1*750xx947-533-126-99.j

The Port of Greater Cincinnati Development Authority board unanimously approved using its financial tools for three major projects in Montgomery, Hyde Park and Madisonville on Wednesday.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/12/port-authority-approves-aid-for-tens-of-millions.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers