Sign in to follow this  
Guest ColDayMan

Whites no longer a majority in US by 2043, Census Bureau projects

Whites no longer a majority in US by 2043, Census Bureau projects

WASHINGTON ­— White people will no longer make up a majority of Americans by 2043, according to new census projections, part of a historic shift that is already reshaping the nation‘s schools, workforce and electorate. The official projection, released Wednesday by the Census Bureau, now places the tipping point for the white majority a year later than previous estimates, which were made before the impact of the recent economic downturn was fully known.

America continues to grow and become more diverse due to higher birth rates among minorities, particularly for Hispanics who entered the U.S. at the height of the immigration boom in the 1990s and early 2000s. Since the mid-2000 housing bust, however, the arrival of millions of new immigrants from Mexico and other nations has slowed, pushing minority growth below its once-torrid pace. The country‘s changing demographic mosaic has stark political implications, shown clearly in last month‘s election that gave President Barack Obama a second term - in no small part due to his support from 78 percent of non-white voters.

More below:

http://triblive.com/news/editorspicks/3124332-74/percent-population-immigration#axzz2EqyNheII

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^Hopefully by 2043 the country will be so diverse everyone's prejudicial biases will be erased and affirmative action won't be needed.

And there will be no more war, no more poverty, no more disease, no more human suffering....

BTW, in 2043, I will be 76 years old. So I will be the dreaded old white man in the room, the oppressor of all things progressive, diverse and forward-thinking.

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

Noncents media math.  Who gonna be the new majority?  The gays?

Noncents? No you didn't....

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

Good. White people vote for the dumbest stuff.

:roll:

And I'm sure we will just pioneer new ways to be multiracially stupid.

If the Republican party can find a way to be inclusive, which white people losing political power should force upon them, they will likely pick up a bunch of socially conservative blacks and Latinos who currently grin and bear the Dems' liberal social policies.

If the Republican party  ...  will likely pick up a bunch of socially conservative blacks and Latinos ....

Let me stop you right there.....

5768735f-2dde-4c99-9017-d363736f54d8.jpg

So bring it on--it won't be all bad. (i.e., America/2043=India/today)  Just use your imagination and envision what will be--after all, today's India is home to the most beautiful women in the world...  :-D

Good. White people vote for the dumbest stuff.

You said it!

^Hopefully by 2043 the country will be so diverse everyone's prejudicial biases will be erased and affirmative action won't be needed.

Lets hope so!

And there will be no more war, no more poverty, no more disease, no more human suffering....

BTW, in 2043, I will be 76 years old. So I will be the dreaded old white man in the room, the oppressor of all things progressive, diverse and forward-thinking.

angry-old-man_zpsdda25f6e.jpg

(the parking spot kills me since your pro public transportation)  LOL

Deal with it. America is changing....

New census projections indicate that, for youth under 18 (post-millennials), minorities will outnumber whites in 2020. https://t.co/BuIZsVEgJq

If the Republican party can find a way to be inclusive, which white people losing political power should force upon them, they will likely pick up a bunch of socially conservative blacks and Latinos who currently grin and bear the Dems' liberal social policies.

Very interesting to read this six years later. It still can and should happen, and probably will happen, but Trumpism will need to be defeated first.

Race is a social construct. It doesn't objectively exist. When 'whiteness' ceases to be a useful social concept for some, race itself will fade as an organizing principle of American society. Class will take its place, but that's another issue. The decline of race is the story here, not the decline of white people.

The social construct of race seems to be just as alive now as ever before. I would argue that our country has actually regressed in this area in the last ~5 years.

So many people have become so obsessed with what race everyone else is (and gender, and religion, and sexual orientation, etc), how many of each race live in an area or work in an area, and making sure there aren't too many white people or not enough minorities. As a result, I believe we are moving down a very dangerous road.

The idea put forth by a couple people in this thread (and many people around the country) that less white people is a good thing is a very dangerous line of thought. This line of thinking essentially says race X is better to have than race Y, which leads you right back to the darkness that so many people sacrificed so much to get our country out of.

In an ideal world, the color of a person's skin would be such an afterthought that it wouldn't even need to be a statistic on the census.

I don't think race is just some social construct. That's b.s. to me. You can usually, simply look at someone and determine what race they are and the vast majority of others would agree. I don't know why some people feel the need to make this up and act like race is some dumb, completely made-up, unfounded thing.

That certainly isn't to say that ideas of equality aren't valid. I just think it's stupid to deny that there's differences among different groups of people.

I'm so tired of hearing about how race is just a social construct. We're never going to get anwhere with so many people touting that. I know a lot of you have really good intentions but you're delusional.

I don't think race is just some social construct. That's b.s. to me. You can usually, simply look at someone and determine what race they are and the vast majority of others would agree. I don't know why some people feel the need to make this up and act like race is some dumb, completely made-up, unfounded thing.

That certainly isn't to say that ideas of equality aren't valid. I just think it's stupid to deny that there's differences among different groups of people.

When you look at someone and determine what race they are that is part of the social construct.  If we all decided today that all redheads were a different race, then future generation could use the same logic to prove that red heads are a race.  The idea of race isn't even universal.  Brazil has different racial groups than the US.  Because their ideas of race are different . There really is no biological basis for race.

I'm so tired of hearing about how race is just a social construct. We're never going to get anwhere with so many people touting that. I know a lot of you have really good intentions but you're delusional.

What race are you? How do you know?

David[/member] calling race a social construct is not the same thing is saying race doesn't matter in modern society or saying race isn't real. It's simply acknowledging that race is a cultural thing made up by humans and has no scientific basis. That's what they mean by "social."

why is it ok to wish an entire group or class of people to die off? like older white men. I am 54 years old and have done what I can for gay rights, equal rights for everyone. I have given money, time, and effort to support black groups, I have marched in gay pride parades(back when it was really a march and not a celebration), I have never voted for a Republican in my life (I have just sat out a few elections or not voted because I could not hold my nose tight enough). But because I am of a certain group, people can't wait or us to "die off".

Just really sad.

And I thought the 80's were a particularly harsh and cruel time. smh.

why is it ok to wish an entire group or class of people to die off? like older white men. I am 54 years old and have done what I can for gay rights, equal rights for everyone. I have given money, time, and effort to support black groups, I have marched in gay pride parades(back when it was really a march and not a celebration), I have never voted for a Republican in my life (I have just sat out a few elections or not voted because I could not hold my nose tight enough). But because I am of a certain group, people can't wait or us to "die off".

Just really sad.

And I thought the 80's were a particularly harsh and cruel time. smh.

Nobody is wishing that though

Maybe a new law should be introduced to limit the births of evil white people to one child per woman.  Better yet, maybe just castrate all white boys once they hit puberty?

Maybe a new law should be introduced to limit the births of evil white people to one child per woman.  Better yet, maybe just castrate all white boys once they hit puberty?

nobody is making a normative statement about the population projections.

I'm white. Like 99% of this forum. I guess I just know that because it's obvious. Hell, I don't know.

I'm white. Like 99% of this forum. I guess I just know that because it's obvious. Hell, I don't know.

HOw do you know you're 'white'? On what basis do you make that statement? Didn't someone have to tell you that you were 'white'? That means it's an idea and not an objective reality.

You're asking me all these questions like I'm supposed to have all the answers. I got pulled over in Kentucky of all places when I was 20 and swerving all over the place, and managed to get out of a DUI when I had obviously been drinking a lot. I guess that's one instance in which I realized I was white.

So you "learned" you were white. That's because it's not an objective real thing. It's an idea. It's a set of beliefs and actions. It's not something that just is. There were no white people 500 years ago. The idea hadn't been invented yet.

HOw do you know you're 'white'? On what basis do you make that statement? Didn't someone have to tell you that you were 'white'? That means it's an idea and not an objective reality.

I think your heart's in the right place but I'm not following the logic here.  Didn't someone have to tell you you're human?  That alone doesn't exclude it from objective reality.  You are in fact human, and someone probably did have to tell you that at some point.  Race is real and measurable-- if it isn't, then how do we enforce laws against discrimination?

So you "learned" you were white. That's because it's not an objective real thing. It's an idea. It's a set of beliefs and actions. It's not something that just is. There were no white people 500 years ago. The idea hadn't been invented yet.

What the hell are you talking about? Can any of you explain further than that? Jesus Christ.

I have two brothers who are half-black. They deal constantly with people asking them what their ethnicity or what they're mixed with. They somehow pass as white most of the time but I've had to hear the "N word" or "colored boy" used frequently right in front of them. You're just not going to convince me that race is just some social construct that isn't real and something to be dismissed. It's too wide-spread.  It's real and there's real hatred and real ramifications. This is stupid.

What the hell are you talking about? Can any of you explain further than that? Jesus Christ. I have two brothers who are half-black. They deal constantly with people asking them what their ethnicity is and or what they're mixed with. They somehow pass as white most of the time but I've had to hear the "N word" or "colored boy" used frequently right in front of them. You're just not going to convince me that race is some social construct that isn't real and something to be dismissed. It's real and there's real harted and real ramifications. This is stupid.

You're just arguing something different.  Nobody is saying people can't see different color skin.  But that's all you're really saying - that people have different color skin.  The color of your skin does not definitively indicate your race, as you pointed out with your half brothers.

You're still not getting what "social construct" means. It doesn't mean it's not real, it means it's not biological or scientific. Countries are a social construct. Laws are a social construct. They are certainly real.