Guest Clevelander17

Federal Gov't Budget News & Discussion

Both reps and dems need to stop fighting. Dems are just trying to get trump out of office at all cost. Won't work. fighting over a 6 bil. wall had the gov shut down and trying to blame Trump. Trump used compassion. I feel the only reason they don't want a wall is to get more illegal foreigners legal to vote which could be considered a coup. That is not our country.

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Both reps and dems need to stop fighting. Dems are just trying to get trump out of office at all cost. Won't work. fighting over a 6 bil. wall had the gov shut down and trying to blame Trump. Trump used compassion. I feel the only reason they don't want a wall is to get more illegal foreigners legal to vote. That is not our country.

Trump said he would own the shutdown (Dems and Republicans had a deal in December, but Trump blew it up). Trump's party controlled the House and Senate for 23 months and they didn't bother to fund a wall. It wasn't an emergency until 6 weeks ago. Illegals can't vote...

Edited by Sir2geez
  • Like 3

until illegals become legal . Democrats I feel would love that. Democrats want a socialized gov and are against the foundations of this country such as the constitution

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

until illegals become legal . Democrats I feel would love that. Democrats want a socialized gov and are against the foundations of this country such as the constitution

It would probably best to wait until you're sober before you post on a forum for all to see....just a helpful little suggestion. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

18 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

^ He is just trying to give relief to fed workers. 

Exactly. 3 weeks is enough time to get the worker their back pay, and another paycheck, before the funding expires once again.

As for who caves here - either Democrats cave and throw the extra $5 billion at border security or Republicans cave and pass a veto proof bill. If neither happens, round two of the shutdown happens. It's entirely out of Trump's hands. Because of that, there's really no way Trump comes out of this looking bad. Wall or no wall, Congress and "the establishment" come out of it looking dysfunctional. It's a pretty brilliant move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

As for who caves here - either Democrats cave and throw the extra $5 billion at border security or Republicans cave and pass a veto proof bill. If neither happens, round two of the shutdown happens. It's entirely out of Trump's hands. Because of that, there's really no way Trump comes out of this looking bad. Wall or no wall, Congress and "the establishment" come out of it looking dysfunctional. It's a pretty brilliant move.

Logic does not penetrate the conservative mind, Exhibit A.

• Like 1

Very Stable Genius

55 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

Exactly. 3 weeks is enough time to get the worker their back pay, and another paycheck, before the funding expires once again.

Why would Democrats ever cave now?  They know Trump is all bluster and no balls.  They'll wait him out just like they did this time.  You don't reward this type of behavior.  Democrats, however, won't shut down the government- that's a Republican thing. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KJP said:

It would probably best to wait until you're sober before you post on a forum for all to see....just a helpful little suggestion. 😉 

You nailed  me on that and are right! :classic_blush: Facebook is worse (nightmare). None of my friends and family that I haven't seen for years do not know what to think of me anymore.

Edited by Mildtraumatic

23 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

I thought you guys were big on personal responsibility - Trump said he'd be proud to own the shutdown.  Does personal responsibility magically not apply to Republicans?

I watched this video it was hilarious, especially VP Pence.

3 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Afraid the shutdown is hurting Trumps re election cause possibly.. 

edit* Whatever happened to the saying; "fences make good neighbors."

Edited by Mildtraumatic

4 hours ago, Ram23 said:

It can never be out of Trump's hands as long as his personal demand for a wall remains the controlling issue.  That decision is up to him and only him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KJP said:

well, to be fair, @Mildtraumatic isn't THAT wrong....

5 hours ago, Ram23 said:

You know what would have been a brilliant move? Getting funding for the wall when his party controlled the government for the last 23 months. The mental gymnastics you Trump supporters use to make him look competent.  It's hilarious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sir2geez said:

You know what would have been a brilliant move? Getting funding for the wall when his party controlled the government for the last 23 months. The mental gymnastics you Trump supporters use to make him look competent.  It's hilarious. 

They also seem to forget that Mexico was going to pay for it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sir2geez said:

You have a solid point there. Was there some on the republican side against it then??? After the shift in power all the republicans support him now.:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Mildtraumatic

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/politics/shutdown-negotiations-agreement-reached-congress-border-security/index.html

Negotiators say they reached an agreement in principle to avert shutdown

Well, tentatively a deal has been reached as of last night to avoid another government shutdown, but very few details are available at the moment.

Very Stable Genius

• Like 2

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-budget-deficit-widens-319-190000490.html

The U.S. budget deficit widened to $319 billion in the first three months of the government’s fiscal year as spending increased and revenue was little changed, according to the Treasury Department.

The shortfall grew by 42 percent between the October to December period, compared with the same three months the previous year, according to the latest Treasury monthly budget report released on Wednesday.

• Sad 1

Very Stable Genius

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/23/defense-spending-bill-senate/

The Senate Armed Services Committee advanced a major defense spending bill in a closed session this week, agreeing to the Trump administration’s $750 billion request and raising U.S. defense spending to levels not seen since the height of the Iraq War.

bUt hOw aRe wE gOiNg tO pAy fOr iT

Very Stable Genius

3 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

Make everybody join the military. BOOM! they have healthcare

3 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

bUt hOw aRe wE gOiNg tO pAy fOr iT 

But, yeah, he really is a conservative....  :🙊🙈🙉

The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) has published a deep dive into the economic impact of the Trump tax cuts in their first year. The CRS finds that the cuts have had virtually no effect on wages, haven’t contributed to a surge in investment, and haven’t come close to paying for themselves. The Trump tax cuts did almost nothing for ordinary Americans and may even have cost them money.

Wealthy Americans, on the other hand, reaped the benefits of lower taxes and higher dividends. The Trump tax cuts had a negligible effect on U.S. economic growth while depriving the government of revenue.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-tax-cut-effects-20190529-story.html

20 hours ago, KJP said:

The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) has published a deep dive into the economic impact of the Trump tax cuts in their first year. The CRS finds that the cuts have had virtually no effect on wages, haven’t contributed to a surge in investment, and haven’t come close to paying for themselves. The Trump tax cuts did almost nothing for ordinary Americans and may even have cost them money.

Wealthy Americans, on the other hand, reaped the benefits of lower taxes and higher dividends. The Trump tax cuts had a negligible effect on U.S. economic growth while depriving the government of revenue.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-tax-cut-effects-20190529-story.html

Gee if only we could have seen that coming *roll eyes*

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

1 minute ago, YABO713 said:

Can't wait until 2021 when the GOP starts to care again

I love how this news site choses Trump with a picture of Pelosi (apparently working "closely" with her) for this story!   

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/01/747219927/senate-passes-2-year-budget-deal-and-sends-it-to-trump?fbclid=IwAR2TYmdmZwtWth6ld-Fe5V3L4EtbQh-LFUsWRNyU7tVk-E_GIyzGXdmZJ5g

The Senate on Thursday approved a two-year budget deal that set new spending levels and boosted the nation's borrowing authority.

The bipartisan legislation, which was approved in a 67-28 vote, raises the debt ceiling past the 2020 elections and allows $1.3 trillion for defense and domestic programs over the next two years.

Remember when Ted Cruz wanted to halt the entire government over the debt ceiling heading into an election year?

Very Stable Genius

2 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/01/747219927/senate-passes-2-year-budget-deal-and-sends-it-to-trump?fbclid=IwAR2TYmdmZwtWth6ld-Fe5V3L4EtbQh-LFUsWRNyU7tVk-E_GIyzGXdmZJ5g

Remember when Ted Cruz wanted to halt the entire government over the debt ceiling heading into an election year?

Deficits aren't important to conservatives anymore.  I feel totally owned by this though  

Edited by freefourur