Sign in to follow this  
Guest OTR

Cincinnati: Pendleton: Former SCPA / Historic Woodward Redevelopment

I definitely disagree that Main Street is "fully developed" from Central Parkway to Liberty. There sure are a lot of vacant storefronts and many buildings that need a lot of work.

How many storefronts are actually vacant? I can only think of a few and those are all the ones Urban Sites are renovating at the moment.

I guess when I say "fully developed" I don't mean "recently renovated and fully upgraded." A building being occupied is more what I'm speaking of. There aren't that many buildings that are vacant above the ground level and of the ones that were Urban Sites has snagged them up and is turning them into office space and several others are in the process of being renovated.

There are a few storefronts that have been vacant seemingly forever like the New York Dry Cleaners, or the NW corner of 12th & Main, or the green building at Woodward & Main. There are a handful of storefronts that are revolving doors, like the ones that formerly housed Steam Whistle Letterpress, Edgy Pooch, and Porter's Pinball Parlor. Soon Mixx will be leaving their space on Main (although there are some rumors that Urban Sites has a new tenant in mind). Hen of the Woods still says "coming soon" after like 2 years. Rock Paper Scissors is transitioning to a new concept and is closed for the time being. And there is a church taking up some storefronts between Liberty's and Cincy Shirts -- no offense to them, but a church is not the most productive use of that space.

While things are improving on Main, and will continue to do so as a result of projects like the SCPA and Ziegler Park, I feel like we have many years to go before we have reached the level of stability that Vine currently has. I don't think Main Street will end up full of restaurants like Senate and The Eagle (nor would I want that), but it would be nice to see higher occupancy rates, some more stability, and a few higher quality businesses to balance out the tax places and convenience stores.

Here's my latest shot of the building from 1/25:

24878449624_30d07441ce_b.jpg

You can see the original windows on the 1st and 2nd floors and replacement windows on the top 3, but the transoms (I think that's the right term here?) mimicking the original windows have only been installed on the top floor so far.

Here's my latest shot of the building from 1/25:

You can see the original windows on the 1st and 2nd floors and replacement windows on the top 3, but the transoms (I think that's the right term here?) mimicking the original windows have only been installed on the top floor so far.

Nice photo! I think the term you're looking for is "muntins": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntin

Transoms are small windows (typically above a door).

I recently toured some of these units in the alumni lofts building looking for a place to rent. Not only are the units and the building absolutely stunning, I was surprised by the pricing!

Some of the rent prices they have are very competitive to the rest of OTR and CBD. $1000 in alumni lofts can get you a nearly 800~ square foot one bedroom, something that can cost $1600+ at a new building in the CBD or the banks.  There are still some apartment left in the $1200-1600 range on the top floor that have tall ceiling, lofts, skylights, dens, half baths etc.

Caseyc[/member] OCtoCincy[/member] Do either of you happen to know if 3CDC and the city will actually be making Sycamore Street more attractive between the two halves of Ziegler Park? In the renderings, they show a new streetscape with bumpouts for a mid-block crosswalk. Buried utilities would be nice too...

I doubt that the City has plans to upgrade the 1300-1500 block. We have not been even able to get the new LED post lighting up there that everyone else seems to have.

But the garage is going along very well.

I've heard an interesting update. Apparently the building did not pass inspection, the owners did not receive their certificate of occupancy for the property on time and folks who were supposed to move in yesterday are being delayed. Something about problems with the elevator and fire suppression systems.

I walked over there. They were dropping off stuff for tenants. I don't know what the CO problem is. Could have been from the rain. Monday they had a major amount of water going right out the front door and down the steps and down the street. Big pump, big hose, lots of water. If there were to be inspections in the basement, I doubt those occurred. But, the project is being very professionally run and I'm sure Michael Cox has it well under control.

They must have got their certificate of occupancy. People were moving in today. The security guy said people were living there last night.

Place looks great. Is 142 units the biggest private residential project in OTR?

I am not certain but it's got to be up there as one of the bigger single conversions in OTR recently.  The YMCA is also opening a lot of new apartments (not certain if those are ready or occupied yet), and I am not certain on the number total but it is for seniors.