Cleveland: Shaker Square: Development and News

On 1/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, MyTwoSense said:

Shakers Building inspectors don't have any authority to regulate buildings on the Square.  Shaker needs to worry about the apartment building in close proximity to the square in which they have the authority to regulate.

What do you mean they don't have any authority? If it's a life safety issue they would.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, seicer said:

This was three years ago at this point. I lived the block behind Dave's. The corner apartment was abandoned, and behind me on E. 130 were three complexes, one of which had a fire. A lot has been torn down but the apartments on Moreland proved to be a stark divider on apartment quality and safety.

Unfortunately there's only one bldg. on the east side of South Moreland that I'd say looks like it's really well maintained, and it's not one of the best architecturally. Another bldg. in that stretch was missing its front door this fall but it has now been replaced.  But for a bldg. to be missing an entrance door for months definitely says something.... A bldg. south of Buckeye was also without a door for a while.

Edited by lafont

On 1/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, StapHanger said:

^Shaker Square is in Cleveland, not Shaker Heights. I think that's what MTS is getting at. Shaker's building inspectors have no role to play outside their city's borders.

Thanks. Would have been helpful to just put that in the first place instead of a "gotcha" situation.

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, tykaps said:

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2020/01/developer-unveils-plans-for-121-larchmere-apartment-mid-rise-office-space.html?outputType=amp

Plans for 121 Larchmere!

Also love the mention that there previous work, One University Circle, is at 95% occupancy.

This sounds like a really great project.  It's great that we are starting to see some of the development that used to be centered around UC spilling out into other neighborhoods on the east side.  That's becoming a nice little strip, and with some additional residents, it will become even nicer.

• Like 2

It probably has the most cosmopolitan collection of restaurants anywhere in the city as well as the citys best bookstore.   All it needs is some more feet on the street as it typically feels too quiet, and maybe not so many hair places which seem to have proliferated more than anything else in recent years.   

• Like 3

Definitely fills in an ugly parking lot, plus no Dollar Store.

The proposal from First Interstate Properties, dubbed "121 Larchmere" after the intersecting street, also provides a viable and welcome alternative to the dollar store that was on its way into the former Pick-n-Pay, Drug World and Life Skills Center.

Not to mention:

An existing Cleveland business has already been lined up to move into the space, with 20 to 25 employees and a $1.5 million annual payroll.

"We're thrilled to have found a location in an east side City of Cleveland neighborhood, in an economically sound way," First Interstate President Mitchell Schneider said of the estimated $20 million development at the Jan. 8 Shaker Square Alliance meeting.

Win-Win-Win. 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 4

What a great add for Larchmere!  

Maybe First Interstate Prop. can work some magic on Shaker Square while they're in the area. I know Shaker Square is "off market", but it could sure use a little sprucing up – disappointing the way things have played out over the recent past.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, willyboy said:

It probably has the most cosmopolitan collection of restaurants anywhere in the city as well as the citys best bookstore.   All it needs is some more feet on the street as it typically feels too quiet, and maybe not so many hair places which seem to have proliferated more than anything else in recent years.   

How are you defining "city?"  Looks like you're referring to Greater Cleveland because Loganberry is in Shaker Heights.  In that case, I'd have to disagree about the restaurants being the "most cosmopolitan" array.  My first choice would be Lee Road in Cleveland Heights - more restaurants than Larchmere, more nationalities and cultures, and certainly many outstanding ones.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, SAABn said:

Maybe First Interstate Prop. can work some magic on Shaker Square while they're in the area. I know Shaker Square is "off market", but it could sure use a little sprucing up – disappointing the way things have played out over the recent past.

This year it could use a TON  of sprucing up....

10 minutes ago, SAABn said:

32 minutes ago, lafont said:

How are you defining "city?"  Looks like you're referring to Greater Cleveland because Loganberry is in Shaker Heights.  In that case, I'd have to disagree about the restaurants being the "most cosmopolitan" array.  My first choice would be Lee Road in Cleveland Heights - more restaurants than Larchmere, more nationalities and cultures, and certainly many outstanding ones.

Yes, Loganberry is technically Shaker Hts. But of the NORTH side of Larchmere, only 1/2 is in shaker and 1/2 in the city. Kendall and Larchmere is Shaker but the next block west at 127 St is Cleveland.  On the south side of Larchmere, it is fully Cleveland.

Yes I know.  So it sounds like for "most cosmopolitan" you're referring only to in the city of Cleveland.  Still more so than in Tremont or downtown?  Even East Fourth alone, plus a few places around the corner on Prospect, Are very international mixes. 

• Dislike 1

On 1/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, StapHanger said:

^Shaker Square is in Cleveland, not Shaker Heights. I think that's what MTS is getting at. Shaker's building inspectors have no role to play outside their city's borders.

Snow plows too.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:41 AM, MyTwoSense said:

How so? Buckeye, the Square and Larchmere have operated as one larger body.  Buckeye over the last two decades has not had the development Larchmere has.  But the potential is there.

I don't see Buckeye going anywhere anytime soon. 

On 12/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, infrafreak said:

Great to see all the movement lately with Larchmere. While the character of the neighborhood changes very abruptly within a few blocks, I hope to see more projects continue to come online in the area. The contrast of finishings and blockiness of the massing reminds me of The Tappan. Nice to see some density built to the sidewalk, unlike the current use on that parcel.

I like to relate the "big changes" on Larchmere or  Shaker Square to Buckeye, or others (look at East 105th into Bratenahl!) As a big city thing.  Think NY or Chicago.  Tremendous change within a few blocks.

21 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

I wish them luck!  I won't be there... ?

Nice that the storefronts have been fixed up. I can't see how this concept will work either, but then, there's several improbable business on Larchmere. 

6 minutes ago, math said:

Nice that the storefronts have been fixed up. I can't see how this concept will work either, but then, there's several improbable business on Larchmere. 

Only way it works is if they come up with some food item that isn't comparable anywhere else.   The only way "alcohol free bars" have traditionally worked is by calling them coffee shops.

3 hours ago, X said:

They could do lots of programming, games, events.  Think something like Tabletop in Ohio City, but without any alcohol and maybe add in some entertainment.

Sounds like it based on this quote from the article:

Line-dancing, karaoke, zumba classes, poetry nights and board-game nights will all appear on the schedule of UnBar’s calendar.

• 2 months later...

Cleveland City Council approves tax incentives to aid $20M Larchmere apartment development

Today 8:03 PM

By Robert Higgs, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cleveland City Council approved tax incentives Monday to aid the development of nearly 90 apartments on Larchmere Boulevard on Cleveland’s East Side.

The project, dubbed 121 Larchmere, will involve construction of a four-story building at the corner of Larchmere and East 121st Street at the western end of the Larchmere commercial strip.

First Interstate Properties Ltd., the company that built Legacy Village in Lyndhurst, Steelyard Commons in the Industrial Valley on Cleveland’s West Side and the One University Circle high-rise apartment building, has proposed the project.

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2020/03/cleveland-city-council-approves-tax-incentives-to-aid-20m-larchmere-apartment-development.html

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, tykaps said:

Pictures for 121 Larchmere!

121_Larchmere_IMG_08.thumb.jpg.cfb93cb27ac590b794952b996b654931.jpg121_Larchmere_IMG_14.thumb.jpg.366ba3dd17f295345d81ae47aa4d81cd.jpg121_Larchmere_IMG_24.thumb.jpg.8bfed6dabebf47d219e28c563ed87f07.jpg

• Like 16

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Edited by KJP
  • Like 7

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 3 weeks later...

12607+Larchmere-May2019.jpg

MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020

Seeds & Sprouts VII - Early intel on real estate projects

Berusch's Larchmere project delayed

Berusch Development Partners' proposed mixed-use development at 12607 Larchmere Blvd. in Cleveland has hit a pandemic-related snag despite other recent progress, according to development firm President Russell Berusch.

The project's partner and main tenant was to be RDL Architects, a 44-employee Shaker Heights firm that would relocate to 13,000 square feet in the proposed building. The project's total square footage is proposed to be 20,000 square feet which would also include four apartments and a small, ground-floor retail space for an anticipated coffee shop.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/06/seeds-sprouts-vii-early-intel-on-real.html

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, gg707 said:

Hopefully just a temporary setback, but that's a disappointing development.   

Yes. Hopefully RDL will also start to grow again. I added a paragraph to the article about that.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks as always to @tykaps!

12607+Larchmere-Maron-8.JPG

SUNDAY, JULY 5, 2020

Two developments, two sides of town and redesigned, too

wo small-to-medium-sized developments on each side of town are finding new lives after they've been significantly redesigned. One was a purely residential development in Lakewood that shrank but added mixed use. The other was a mixed-use development in Cleveland's Larchmere district that has become purely residential.

The Larchmere development not only has a totally new design concept but an additional developer involved. Previously, Berusch Development Partners pursued a 20,000-square-foot project with RDL Architects moving its office from Shaker Heights into a 13,000-square-foot ground-floor space next to a new coffee shop and topped by four apartments.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/07/two-developments-two-sides-of-town-and.html

• Like 3

I know it's a small lot, but I was hoping for a design with no streetside parking lot. I was envisioning something with only the apartments facing the street, with the exception of a single, two-way driveway (something like the older apartment building just east of it). Those planters, while with good intentions, never end up how they appear in rendering's and for half the year that will be the area where snow plows dump their snow, which will spill onto the sidewalk.

13 hours ago, KJP said:

Thanks as always to @tykaps!

12607+Larchmere-Maron-8.JPG

SUNDAY, JULY 5, 2020

Two developments, two sides of town and redesigned, too

wo small-to-medium-sized developments on each side of town are finding new lives after they've been significantly redesigned. One was a purely residential development in Lakewood that shrank but added mixed use. The other was a mixed-use development in Cleveland's Larchmere district that has become purely residential.

The Larchmere development not only has a totally new design concept but an additional developer involved. Previously, Berusch Development Partners pursued a 20,000-square-foot project with RDL Architects moving its office from Shaker Heights into a 13,000-square-foot ground-floor space next to a new coffee shop and topped by four apartments.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/07/two-developments-two-sides-of-town-and.html

This is laid out like a motel 

Edited by MyPhoneDead
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MyPhoneDead said:

This is laid out like a motel 

Looks like one too. Especially around the parking courtyard. 

12607 Larchmere-Maron-4.JPG

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That is a better design than before, including the drive-through which is similar to the building next door.