Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quimbob

In The World: Russia

Unreal. I read about them a while back, I guess when they first got arrested. It's interesting that punk rock is actually rebellious in some parts of the world, since it doesn't have much of an edge (anymore?) in the west.

I recently read about/heard an Iraqi black metal band with songs like "Burn the Quran". Apparently there is a small scene there, deep underground. Let's hope they don't get caught like Pussy Riot. 3 years would be a very lenient sentence, indeed, for them.

While I admit I enjoy seeing the name Pussy Riot in mainstream media headlines, it's obviously a shame there are still places in the world people can be jailed for something like this.

^^^It's been hilarious watching some MSM folks dance around actually saying the words, PUSSY RIOT.

Hopefully the remaining members can release an EP or something to raise money for the children the Russian courts have orphaned for the next couple years.

Apparently the Russian Orthodox Church has forgiven the girls. Mighty white of 'em.....

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-orthodox-church-forgives-pussy-riot-120400925.html

>since it doesn't have much of an edge (anymore?) in the west.

Yeah it does, except the public face of punk rock are all those cheesy bands from California like Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 etc., that are not punk bands at all. 

2 of the Pussy Riot group who had not been arrested have left Russia.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2-pussy-riot-members-flee-russia-escape-arrest-protest-vladimir-putin-article-1.1145078?localLinksEnabled=false

Seems another casualty of this oppressive theocratic regime is Zombie Walks.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/guest_bloggers/6309/russian_zombies_follow_in_pussy_riot_footsteps/

Seems like Mother Russia just doesn't like it's declining youth population.

Not that I don't feel sorry for these girls, but why is this such a big deal internationally? These aren't the first celebrities to be unfairly persecuted by their governments, and Russia is handling them with kid gloves compared to how they've treated political(?) prisoners in the past.

Is it because of Madonna's involvement?

I think it has to do with the last couple years of realizing that Putin was indeed going to return to the Presidency; a series of anti-free speech actions by the state including shakeups in the state media; the controversial and alleged fraudulent election; the ensuing public demonstrations and their crackdown; and this was just the next step.

I think it's partly due to marketing/packaging. A group of perky young women dancing around in funny clothes playing quaint punk rock is going to be fairly appealing in the west & seeing them beat up on by big church/government old men types sends a pretty clear message (even tho nobody outside Russia knows what they are actually saying).

With the crackdown on zombie walks, that frequently are used for fundraising, it looks like curmudgeonly attacks on kids just having fun.

I have read that Russia, with declining birth rates, is having a hard time fielding an army of any size. They really shouldn't be alienating their youth.

wake up to this surprising news -

amazing videos -- hundreds injured.

meteors have it out for mother russia!

updated 4:45 AM EST 02.15.13

Hundreds hurt after Russian meteor shower

By Alla Eshchenko and Boriana Milanova, CNN

Meteor shower reported in Russia

Moscow (CNN) - A meteor shower sparked an explosion that left 247 people injured Friday in southern Russia, the local Emergency Ministry said.

Nine people have been hospitalized, a spokesman for the Emergency Ministry of Chelyabinsk told CNN. Most of the injuries were caused by broken glass.

Read more: Meteor shower will light up night sky for just a few hours

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?c=homepage-t

When you have the largest nation in geographic size, odds are you're going to get hit more often. So this is the second time in 100 years, and even then it sounded like only pieces of this asteroid came off. It wasn't the main body which passed closer to Earth than many of our weather satellites orbit. We are VERY lucky.

^^This meteor appears to be totally unrelated to asteroid 2012 DA14 that will pass very close today.

Here's a good analysis of it.  The trajectory is different and it's much to far away from DA14 to be related.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/15/breaking_huge_meteor_explodes_over_russia.html

And an awesome GIF.  http://i.minus.com/ikkUluBpFVpjo.gif

^^This meteor appears to be totally unrelated to asteroid 2012 DA14 that will pass very close today.

Here's a good analysis of it.  The trajectory is different and it's much to far away from DA14 to be related.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/15/breaking_huge_meteor_explodes_over_russia.html

And an awesome GIF.  http://i.minus.com/ikkUluBpFVpjo.gif

I made that comment before seeing coverage on CNN about it. But then I don't believe anything CNN says anymore after totally f*cking up a story last month about rail improvements. If they screwed up a story I know about, how badly are they screwing up stories I don't know about? So I don't trust 'em anymore.

Last time this happened zombie-enabling spores ended up being released by the Soviets over North America according to Metallica.

Actually, this kind of reminds me of The Day of the Triffids what with most of the injuries coming from people standing at windows watching the meteor.

What's really bad, if I am reading this right, is that nobody saw this sucker coming. I guess everybody was looking in the other direction at the asteroid.....

I was just watching the asteroid pass & it looked an awful lot like a 70s video game.

:-)

Some Liberal Russian politician is saying that it wasn't debris surrounding the asteroid, it was the US conducting tests on new weapons lol.

wow what an epic mess to clean up. and its urgent too in the cold weather:

Russian region begins recovery from meteor fall

Last Updated: 8:57 AM, February 16, 2013

CHELYABINSK, Russia — A small army of workers set to work Saturday to replace the estimated 50 acres of windows shattered by the shock wave from a meteor that exploded over Russia's Chelyabinsk region.

The astonishing Friday morning event blew out windows in more than 4,000 buildings in the region, mostly in the capital city of the same name and injured some 1,200 people, largely with cuts from the flying glass.

Fifteen of the injured remained hospitalized on Saturday, one of them in a coma, the regional health ministry said, according to the Interfax news agency.

Regional governor Mikhail Yurevich on Saturday said damage from the high-altitude explosion — estimated to have the force of 20 atomic bombs — is estimated at 1 billion rubles ($33 million). He promised to have all the broken windows replaced within a week.

But that is a long wait in a frigid region. The midday temperature in Chelyabinsk was minus-12 C (10 F), and for many the immediate task was to put up plastic sheeting and boards on shattered residential windows.

more:

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/international/russian_region_begins_recovery_from_fls78GoKMRBy13qBGKceKM

Several news sources are now saying that the Russian meteor exploded with the power of app. 20 Hiroshima bombs and that the people below were shielded from its full blast only because it impacted so high up in the atmosphere.  Needless to say, our entire world got a rude (but much needed) look at just how destructive even a very small "NEO" (Near-Earth-Object) can be.  Hopefully, the reassuring predictions concerning the possibility of an impact by the much larger and more dreaded "99942 Apophis," in both 2029 and 2036, are correct--after all, there's simply no way that our atmosphere will protect us against a rock estimated to be the size of three football fields.

Want to follow an eye opening twitter account? Check @Ukrainolution especially after last night's violence......

Ukraine: 25 killed, 241 injured in Kiev clashes

Associated Press By MARIA DANILOVA and YURAS KARMANAU

1 hour ago

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Thick, dark smoke rose above the center of the Ukrainian capital amid the boom of police stun grenades Wednesday, as officers in riot gear sought to push demonstrators away from the city's main square following deadly clashes between police and protesters that left at least 25 people dead and hundreds injured and raised fears of a civil war.

After several hours of relative calm, confrontation flared up again Wednesday afternoon, with hundreds of police amassing on the edges of Independence Square, known as the Maidan, throwing stun grenades and using water cannons in a bid to disperse protesters. Thousands of activists armed with fire bombs and rocks held their ground, defending the square which has been a bastion and symbol for the demonstrators.

The violence Tuesday was the worst in nearly three months of anti-government protests that have paralyzed Ukraine's capital in a struggle over the identity of a nation divided in loyalties between Russia and the West. It prompted the European Union to threaten sanctions against Ukrainian officials responsible for the violence and triggered angry rebukes from Moscow, which accused the West of triggering the clashes by backing the opposition.

READ MORE AT:

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-25-killed-241-injured-kiev-clashes-071513710.html

Yesterday saw the fiercest and deadliest battles between government security forces and protesters - see the on-site reporting by NBC's Richard Engel at http://www.nbcnews.com/#/storyline/ukraine-crisis/ukraine-truce-unravels-amid-deadly-violence-n35051.  But today, it looks like the Ukrainian parliament has stepped in to cut the Ukrainian President's police power and broker a deal to end the fighting:

In Ukraine, signs of progress, and questions, after deal to end fighting

By Phil Black. Nick Paton Walsh and Michael Pearson, CNN

updated 1:27 PM EST, Fri February 21, 2014

Kiev, Ukraine (CNN) -- Hours after government and opposition leaders signed an agreement ending days of deadly fighting, Ukraine's parliament moved quickly to cut the president's powers, sack the interior minister and pass a bill that could free jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko.

The changes, passed by a constitutional majority that can't be vetoed, mark a stunning shift from just a day ago, when President Viktor Yanukovych sent security forces into the streets to battle protesters angry over his pivot toward Russia and other issues.

MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/world/europe/ukraine-protests/

What really surprised the hell out of me is the destruction of Lenin (and even Stalin) statues.  I thought those were long gone, just as much as Hitler statues vanished from Poland decades ago.  We’re talking about a nation where six million people were killed in a politically inspired intentional famine.

I forgot that the Soviets had moved a bunch of ethnic Russians into the eastern Ukraine, much as the Serbians that dominated “Yugoslavia” stuck their loyalists in Croatia and Bosnia.  This is a classic example of why the Geneva Convention now bans such things, and radical Israeli “settlements” , opposed by anyone who seriously wants  peace in that area, violate it.

Viktor Yanukovych has been ousted as president. He has been seen in eastern Ukraine (which is heavily Russian speaking and supportive). Russia has withdrawn their ambassador from Ukraine as well.

This is far from over.

Armed Men Take Over 2 Airports in Crimea

SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine — Amid fears of a Kremlin-backed separatist rebellion here against Ukraine’s fledgling government, armed men in military uniforms took up positions at two Crimean airports as Ukraine’s interior minister warned of “a direct provocation,” but there was no sign of any violence.

In Simferopol, the regional capital of Crimea, a large number of masked armed men were stationed at the international airport Friday morning. They were dressed in camouflage and carrying assault rifles, but their military uniforms bore no insignia. It was not clear who they were and they declined to answer questions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/01/world/europe/ukraine.html?hp&_r=0