Sign in to follow this  
ClevelandOhio

Name your top 5 cities...

^ i take by new haven you are a true pizza connoisseur!

Haha, very true. Nothing beats a New Haven style white clam. And it's a great city for burgers as well.

Redirect from the Quicken Loans Arena thread...

When you think about your favorite cities around the world and which ones you would want to move to, how many include professional sports as part of the draw?

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

This is the first city that I voluntarily moved to that had a major sports franchise(s), a fact which had zero bearing on my decision to move here.

For me it doesn't need to be the highest level professional sports, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about sporting entertainment options.  The requirement for me would probably be two professional teams at least at the following level or better; AAA baseball, minor league hockey (AHL), NBA, major NCAAF (or NFL), or MLS.

I'll just speak to cities I've actually visited and/or lived in:

1. San Diego

2. New Orleans (going back Jan 10-14!!!!!)

3. Washington D.C.

4. Boston

5. Cleveland tied with Chicago

Sports have had absolutely nothing to do with any of these choices, though the Wrigley Field experience is second to none.

When you think about your favorite cities around the world and which ones you would want to move to, how many include professional sports as part of the draw?

Zero.  Because I already have my allegiance and i wouldnt move anywhere because of their sports teams.  However, when i had considered moving in the past, i did ask myself if the Cleveland teams would be visiting and how often.  that was of interest to me.

By the way, fun thread....missed this one:

1.) Seattle

2.) San Francisco

3.) Cleveland

4.) Baltimore

5.) Boston

Honorable mention: Chicago, Portland.  Surprised how much run Nashville and Denver have been getting nationally.  Been to both of those places in the past two months and was completely unimpressed and disappointed.

US cities:

New York City, NY

New Orleans, LA

Chicago, IL

Washington, DC

Detroit, MI

I can't think of any cities that would get bumped from this list or added. If I have to choose five, I think these might be the five (I excluded Cincinnati since I've lived here almost my whole life). If I was forced to, I might switch out DC and Pittsburgh. But I'm not sure.

Have lived in a few different cities in my lifetime, and visited many others do to my career; but my heart has always been in Cleveland no matter where I lived. Why? Because the CLE has everything I've ever wanted. A great Metroparks system, zoo, culture, sports, decent shopping, entertainment, neighborhoods, etc... Sports has never been a factor in my decision on where to live. But no matter where I live, the Tribe will always be my favorite sports team.

Favorite cities of the many I have lived in, or visited  -

1. Cleveland

2. Omaha - the Dundee neighbor is great, and this is a city that's very easy to get from place to place.

3. Charlotte - the Elizabeth/Midtown, and Dillworth neighborhoods were favorites of mine. A major drawback to Charlotte was no Metroparks type system like CLE.

4. Chicago - so many great things.

5. Coeur d'Alene ID - one of America's great small cities

Just places I've been:

1.) Chicago

2.) Cincinnati

3.) St. Louis

4.) Indianapolis

5.) Minneapolis

Honorable Mention: Dallas, Nashville, Iowa City, Cedar Falls (small college town)

I have never been to Columbus or Cleveland, just driven through.  Really hoping to check it out this year though as I don't have a trillion things on the docket this year!

A bit of an odd question for me.  I'll always be a fan of the Cleveland teams, no matter where I live.... especially with modern technology allowing me to watch them wherever I live.  The professional sports teams were indeed a draw for me to move back to Cleveland.  I'm not sure how big of a draw, but they were to some degree.  But professional sports probably would not be a draw for me moving anywhere else.  The last city I lived in didn't have any major professional sports teams and I didn't miss it.  But I am not so much of a go to the stadium/arena guy.

1) Columbus: I've lived here my whole life. I love the city and it just keeps getting better.

2) Chicago: If had to live in a big city and I had the money, I would move to Chicago. The city is beautiful and has great character.

3) New York: So much history here and so much to do. I've only been to Manhattan but I would love to check out the other boroughs.

4) Cleveland: It kind of brings the East coast city vibe to the Midwest. I have a lot of family from the area so I feel a strong connection to the city and the sports.

5) Pittsburgh: For as much as I hate the sports the city is actually very cool.

A good question--but I'm not sure the denizens of this forum would care.  Me personally--I'd like to have pro baseball unless I was moving to Europe.  I'd still be an Indians fan either way.

A more important question is what would young people living in small town America, who are moving to cities in record numbers, think of having a pro sports franchise.    Would they move to a city for college and become hooked?    I think a fair number do....

These are places I've been, I can't count ones I've just driven thru, which would give me quite a bit more (had a lil stint as a tour bus driver)

1. Cleveland

2. Chicago

3. Nashville

4. Columbus Oh

5. NYC

Have only been to 2 countries (Canada and Bahamas )

1. Toronto

2. Windsor Ontario

3. London Ontario

4. Kitchener Ontario

Hon mention US,  Cincy, Springfield Mo, Memphis, Tulsa, OKC, Baltimore,  Detroit, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Hillsdale Mi

This could change daily but for today (and I'm not counting Ohio cities)...

My feeling exactly. Definitely a fun list, though. My top 5:

DOMESTIC

1. New York City

2. Chicago

3. San Francisco

4. New Orleans

5. Seattle

INTERNATIONAL

1. Bangkok

2. Buenos Aires

3. Paris

4. Barcelona

5. Shanghai

So yeah...let's keep this TOP 5 cities, folks.  No need to start opening a can of worms on Charlotte or wherever. 

uoshears.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Not counting Ohio cities...

Domestic

1. San Francisco

2. Philadelphia

3. D.C.

4. Nashville

5. Austin

International

1. Sydney

2. Helsinki

3. Ghent, Belgium

4. Toronto

5. Amsterdam

Very Stable Genius

1 - Washington D.C - Perfect mix of vibrancy, activity, transit access while not being overbearing like NYC.

2 - Atlanta GA - Perfect weather mix, a lot of stuff to do, but the traffic is AWFUL.

3 - New York City - Loved the vibrancy, activity and transit access but it was too crowded.

4 - Cleveland - Home

5 - Miami - Humidity killed me, made the trip less enjoyable

In the United States

1. Santa Cruz, CA

2. Chicago, IL

3. New Orleans, LA

4. Indian Rocks Beach, FL

5. San Francisco, CA

I haven't been out of the country much so I can't give a full list to say my favorite cities out of the US. I am planning a 3 month trip to Europe this year so this should grow exponentially in the near future.

Domestic (Not including Cincinnati)

1. Denver (Getting expensive but still love it)

2. Boise (Great underrated city, future Denver type)

3. Portland (Close to so much (nature wise) and near the coast)

4. St. Petersburg (Great city off to the side from Tampa, fewer blue hairs now)

5. Savannah (My home away from home)

International

1. Rotterdam

2. Gent

3. Munich

4. Budapest

5. Calgary

Florence - the ultimate walking city

New York - love to buy an unlimited metrocard and cruise the subway all day long

Cleveland - greatest city in the world, duh

Chicago - incredibly beautiful with the modern skyscrapers and the lake

Naples - chaos, density, filth, poverty, wealth, history, and beauty of a stunning natural location, an active volcano looming over the city

I din't expect anyone to mention Napoli on here, haha. I didn't think it was liked very much, and used only as a way to Capri and Amalfi.  In another ongoing UO thread European densities were being discussed, and I thought of Naples. One of the original ultra-dense cities. Even though the current numbers are not that impressive, Naples gives off the densest feeling of any city I have been to, including the go-tos like Barcelona, Paris.

IMG_20160902_142823_re.thumb.jpg.48b19f9bdcb99be4e8fd2ecea86ec432.jpg

Napoli is often poo-pooed, most of all by northern Italians, but for those with an appreciation for cities and urbanity, for everything not always being pristine and perfect, (and for southern Italian culture) it's amazing. I think you can tell a lot about somebody's personality by whether or not they're willing to look past the city's flaws and give it a chance. Vedi Napoli e poi muori. (See Naples and die)

Isn't the Quartieri Spagnoli the densest neighborhood in Europe, or at least it was at one point? I've heard it called the European Kowloon Walled City, although that's still not a really fair comparison given how impossibly dense Kowloon Walled City was.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

There's a really bad lack of green space or parks, so the kids, for hundreds of years, have grown up playing in the very narrow streets. Obviously there's negatives that come along with that but it also leads to very lively streets.

^ well...dang!

quartieri-spagnoli.jpg

That looks miserable to me. To each his own, though.

I don't think I've contributed here, so I'll give a go at my top 5:

- New York

- Paris

- Amsterdam

- London

- Montreal

Honorable mention: Berlin, Geneva, San Francisco

Smaller cities: Santa Barbara, Savannah, Newport (RI), Quebec City

^ yes, but its not seen as quite so bad in mono-cultural places like china or italy where everybody is generally on the same page culturally versus the usa where people are generally not.

btw i found the quartieri spagnoli neighborhood density is 17,500k sq km versus for example nyc citywide average at 11k sq km.

also, funny enough, despite a much larger population, nyc is less dense than it was in 1970. i wonder how this naples neighborhood has changed over time? i have no idea, but it doesn't look like much has changed there at all.

The entire city of Naples, while being dense, is not all that dense. The Spanish Quarters are about as extreme as it gets, and only take up a small area. I believe it was founded to house Spanish soldiers when Naples was conquered by the Spanish at one time. The historic core of Naples, adjacent to the Spanish Quarters, is actually older than Rome, having been founded by the ancient Greeks.

Search on google images or youtube "Naples Chiaia" or "Naples lungomare" for some less stress-inducing parts of town.

I need to travel internationally more...

US Cities

1. New York

2. New Orleans

3. Boston

4. Cincinnati

5. Pittsburgh

Small Cities:

1. Asheville NC

2. Savannah

3. Santa Fe

4. Bardstown KY

5. San Clemente CA

Small Cities:

1. Asheville NC

2. Savannah

3. Santa Fe

4. Bardstown KY

5. San Clemente CA

I like the "small cities" ranking. Small is hard to narrow down (do Savannah and Asheville count?). In no particular order, mine is probably:

*Marquette, MI

*Asheville, NC

*Savannah, GA

*Bethlehem, PA

*Covington, KY