jjames0408

Cleveland: Downtown: Gateway District: Development and News

8 hours ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

For something like gateway, it's dissappointing there are not little "sports villages" in the immediate surrounding areas like mentioned in St. Louis. Even down by Browns stadium. How has no one realized the potential of developing a "football village" or whatever right outside the stadium. Pittsburgh has it. 

East 4th and surrounding activity is somewhat a product of gateway. Downtown could probably not support both what we currently have AND a gateway sports village. 

The Browns stadium is used way too little to ever support surrounding development. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

49 minutes ago, JSC216 said:

East 4th and surrounding activity is somewhat a product of gateway. Downtown could probably not support both what we currently have AND a gateway sports village. 

The Browns stadium is used way too little to ever support surrounding development. 

Agreed. 10 game days a year, plus one or two concerts couldn’t sustain much by itself. Especially while still be largely cut off from the CBD and no residential anywhere near. East 4th definitely feeds and thrives off of gateway. It’s where I always hang before a Tribe game. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Agreed. 10 game days a year, plus one or two concerts couldn’t sustain much by itself. Especially while still be largely cut off from the CBD and no residential anywhere near. East 4th definitely feeds and thrives off of gateway. It’s where I always hang before a Tribe game. 

The plans for NuCLEus included a Cleveland Live!, which is owned and operated by the same people that own the experience in St. Louis you're referring to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSC216 said:

To underscore this, when Gateway first opened 26 years ago, there was all kinds of optimism about what it would do for lower Prospect, the arcades, Huron Ave, etc.  A bunch of restaurants extended their hours and here was a boom in sports bars.  A lot of it ended up being unsustainable.  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

To underscore this, when Gateway first opened 26 years ago, there was all kinds of optimism about what it would do for lower Prospect, the arcades, Huron Ave, etc.  A bunch of restaurants extended their hours and here was a boom in sports bars.  A lot of it ended up being unsustainable.  

I would argue that the 5th Street arcades are as lively and vibrant now as they’ve ever been since the 90’s. There was also the Indians teams of the 90’s that sold out every game and propped up a lot of those places for a good while. There really aren’t that many vacancies in the Prospect/Gateway neighborhood. There’s been some turnover and adjustment, but you’re gonna have that in the wake of such a transformational project.

• Like 2

^For sure. I'm not arguing doom and gloom here.  The growing residential population and more creative marketing has done good things for this neighborhood.  I'm just agreeing that the capacity of the sports visitors to support business is finite, so we shouldn't be so eager to cannibalize the existing successes. 

• Like 1

I've been told that the Utica Block building which currently houses Brickstone and Stella Music Club on the ground floor with offices above, will be changing hands - and a new concept yet again going in on the ground floor.  It will qualify for historic tax credits.  A local developer along with Bobby George will be involved.  

• Thanks 2
  • Poison 2

^ Good to hear, although I personally make it a point to avoid giving BG a single red cent where I can avoid it. 

• Like 7

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Additionally I’d add the stadium and arena have both added additional in house options that we may have not yet seen the full impact of. 

Gateway is literally a quarter mile (if that) from E4, City Tap, BWW, Winking Lizard, Panini's, The Clevelander, etc. to say more stuff needs to be built on the site/acting like it's a deadzone is kind of bizarro. I wouldn't be opposed to building on the parking lot off of E9/Eagle, but there's a lot of bigger fish to fry. First Energy on the other hand could be quite the model area (thinking North Shore area around Heinz Field in PGH), but again, bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RE Developer In Training said:

I've been told that the Utica Block building which currently houses Brickstone and Stella Music Club on the ground floor with offices above, will be changing hands - and a new concept yet again going in on the ground floor.  It will qualify for historic tax credits.  A local developer along with Bobby George will be involved.  

Does this mean Stellas is endanger of closing down?

On 1/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, musky said:

This area could potentially be a baby-central park type section of the city in the future

I’ve always loved this part of downtown for this reason. I hope Franco’s isn’t just bluffing here because I think some residential this far south will help ignite E 9 south of Prospect, and even Carnegie!

Up in the Heights, I walk through Lakeview 3-4 times a week in the summer and it definitely has a Central Park vibe. Erie Street could have a similar impact on its surroundings. 

• Like 1

I've always fancied the cemetery spruced up a bit and looking (and used as) something akin to the Literary promenade in Central Park NYC. Not that many downtowns ANYWHERE have an historic green space quite like this. It's high time we acknowledged that.

ny_central_park_poets_walk_autumn_2006_01_101.jpg

Edited by Barneyboy
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

^^^That would mean the city would have to do some maintenance.......and they just don't.  The  cemetery is so poorly maintained already.  Headstones crumbled and collapsed.  Dead trees and limbs everywhere.  It's sad

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mack34 said:

^^^That would mean the city would have to do some maintenance.......and they just don't.  The  cemetery is so poorly maintained already.  Headstones crumbled and collapsed.  Dead trees and limbs everywhere.  It's sad

A subject for another thread, but you are spot on.   I'd love to know how many people work in property management for the city of Cleveland, and what they actually do all day!  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, mack34 said:

Couldn’t a local garden club do the maintenance voluntarily?  I’m sure some civic minded organization would love to have the opportunity to be affiliated with such an historic cemetery.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Growth Mindset said:

Couldn’t a local garden club do the maintenance voluntarily?  I’m sure some civic minded organization would love to have the opportunity to be affiliated with such an historic cemetery.

Is there an impression somewhere that some old time-ey "Downtown Ladies Auxiliary" will descend on an entire historic cemetery wearing floppy hats to plant begonias and solve the many years of incompetence and neglect?  Doing so absolves the city of its duty and responsibility to use our tax dollars wisely.

If it were taken over by a charity group, it will still require hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring the landscape and infrastructure back to any reasonable contemporary standard.

Who will pay for the mulch, plant, tools, meeting space, coordination and administration... of such a project.  I sense that folk underestimate the cost and overestimate the volunteer ambitions of our neighbors. I find it unrealistic that some unidentified charity take on such a stupendously important project like this without an identified funding source for ongoing maintenance.    Sigh...  Repairs to Erie Street Cemetery will require champions at the highest local level.  I do think a grassroots community advocacy group could be formed like "Friends of Erie Street Cemetery" or something, and they could become influential enough with the downtown councilman and Mayor's office to provoke the movement of funds and personnel needed to bring something worthwhile together.

LOL - Also, "They Remained, Others Fled" 

The heroes of today's Cleveland also stayed while others fled.  -  The metaphor in this is just too rich, and reason enough that this cemetery should be given some  needed love. 

Lakeview may have more buried luminaries, but Erie Street is the Grande Dame of early Cleveland Cemeteries. The time is now to give it its due.

1024px-Erie_Street_Cemetery_gate_(western_side).jpg

carter 2.jpg

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Erie St. Cemetery certainly could become a historic gem and a quite oasis amongst the city, but I think you'll be hard pressed to get the resources behind that idea given all the other needs around Cleveland.  Maybe one of the developers who wants to build around it could give them a grant to replant the trees or do some repairs and maintenance.

• Like 4

So who is responsible for maintaining the Monroe St Cemetery in Ohio City, and who’s responsible for rebuilding the Woodland Ave cemetery gate currently? Is that the city or some nonprofit? Why can’t they step in here? I’ve never wandered the woodland Ave cemetery, but the Monroe st is arguably better maintained

• Like 2