Cleveland: Downtown: Gateway District: Development and News

1 hour ago, RE Developer In Training said:

I've been told that the Utica Block building which currently houses Brickstone and Stella Music Club on the ground floor with offices above, will be changing hands - and a new concept yet again going in on the ground floor.  It will qualify for historic tax credits.  A local developer along with Bobby George will be involved.  

Does this mean Stellas is endanger of closing down?

On 1/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, musky said:

This area could potentially be a baby-central park type section of the city in the future

I’ve always loved this part of downtown for this reason. I hope Franco’s isn’t just bluffing here because I think some residential this far south will help ignite E 9 south of Prospect, and even Carnegie!

Up in the Heights, I walk through Lakeview 3-4 times a week in the summer and it definitely has a Central Park vibe. Erie Street could have a similar impact on its surroundings. 

• Like 1

I've always fancied the cemetery spruced up a bit and looking (and used as) something akin to the Literary promenade in Central Park NYC. Not that many downtowns ANYWHERE have an historic green space quite like this. It's high time we acknowledged that.

ny_central_park_poets_walk_autumn_2006_01_101.jpg

Edited by Barneyboy
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

^^^That would mean the city would have to do some maintenance.......and they just don't.  The  cemetery is so poorly maintained already.  Headstones crumbled and collapsed.  Dead trees and limbs everywhere.  It's sad

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mack34 said:

^^^That would mean the city would have to do some maintenance.......and they just don't.  The  cemetery is so poorly maintained already.  Headstones crumbled and collapsed.  Dead trees and limbs everywhere.  It's sad

Couldn’t a local garden club do the maintenance voluntarily?  I’m sure some civic minded organization would love to have the opportunity to be affiliated with such an historic cemetery.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Growth Mindset said:

Couldn’t a local garden club do the maintenance voluntarily?  I’m sure some civic minded organization would love to have the opportunity to be affiliated with such an historic cemetery.

Is there an impression somewhere that some old time-ey "Downtown Ladies Auxiliary" will descend on an entire historic cemetery wearing floppy hats to plant begonias and solve the many years of incompetence and neglect?  Doing so absolves the city of its duty and responsibility to use our tax dollars wisely.

If it were taken over by a charity group, it will still require hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring the landscape and infrastructure back to any reasonable contemporary standard.

Who will pay for the mulch, plant, tools, meeting space, coordination and administration... of such a project.  I sense that folk underestimate the cost and overestimate the volunteer ambitions of our neighbors. I find it unrealistic that some unidentified charity take on such a stupendously important project like this without an identified funding source for ongoing maintenance.    Sigh...  Repairs to Erie Street Cemetery will require champions at the highest local level.  I do think a grassroots community advocacy group could be formed like "Friends of Erie Street Cemetery" or something, and they could become influential enough with the downtown councilman and Mayor's office to provoke the movement of funds and personnel needed to bring something worthwhile together.

LOL - Also, "They Remained, Others Fled" 

The heroes of today's Cleveland also stayed while others fled.  -  The metaphor in this is just too rich, and reason enough that this cemetery should be given some  needed love. 

Lakeview may have more buried luminaries, but Erie Street is the Grande Dame of early Cleveland Cemeteries. The time is now to give it its due.

1024px-Erie_Street_Cemetery_gate_(western_side).jpg

carter 2.jpg

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Erie St. Cemetery certainly could become a historic gem and a quite oasis amongst the city, but I think you'll be hard pressed to get the resources behind that idea given all the other needs around Cleveland.  Maybe one of the developers who wants to build around it could give them a grant to replant the trees or do some repairs and maintenance.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just heard 92.3 The Fan that Thomas Chema will be on Baskin & Phelps to discuss potential future development in Gateway this Wed 12pm EST. Sounds like it could be interesting. 

Thomas V. Chema

In 1990, he was appointed Executive Director of the Gateway Economic Development Corporation and was responsible for overseeing the public-private partnership that led to the financing and construction of Progressive Field and Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. He then resumed his law practice and in recent years has consulted across the country on sports and entertainment-related economic development projects as President of Gateway Consultants Group, Inc

• Like 4

12 hours ago, surfohio said:

Just heard 92.3 The Fan that Thomas Chema will be on Baskin & Phelps to discuss potential future development in Gateway this Wed 12pm EST. Sounds like it could be interesting. 

Thomas V. Chema

In 1990, he was appointed Executive Director of the Gateway Economic Development Corporation and was responsible for overseeing the public-private partnership that led to the financing and construction of Progressive Field and Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. He then resumed his law practice and in recent years has consulted across the country on sports and entertainment-related economic development projects as President of Gateway Consultants Group, Inc

Can we take a vote on two UO members to replace Baskin and Phelps here?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, surfohio said:

Thomas V. Chema

He was president of Hiram College when I was there. Great guy

• Like 2

I wish so badly that the parking lot by the Thirty Parrot could get turned into a weather controlled pavilion of sorts, where the walls can be closed in winter and open air in summer. I imagine it as having 10-12 different food and drink vendors around the perimeter, with a projection screen on both ends, picnic tables in the middle, and games spread throughout. 

Something less elaborate than what they have in St Louis

image.png.b684bcb9eb66c66d5039af1a28e4b58b.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

^thats a great idea. Never understood why anyone would want to park there when they cram you in bumper to bumper anyway.

It's a great place to park if you want to be trapped for several hours after an event. 

Anyhow, here's hoping we can see the neighborhood continue to become more of a neighborhood and less of a parking district. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simplythis said:

Does anyone know what was mentioned today on Baskin & Phelps?

If you're referring to Tom Chema, he'll be on tomorrow (Wednesday).

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

4 hours ago, YABO713 said:

I wish so badly that the parking lot by the Thirty Parrot could get turned into a weather controlled pavilion of sorts, where the walls can be closed in winter and open air in summer. I imagine it as having 10-12 different food and drink vendors around the perimeter, with a projection screen on both ends, picnic tables in the middle, and games spread throughout. 

One of my life goals is to watch the iNDIANS play in every ballpark.  2 years ago i went on a 10 day road trip with them, starting in St. Louis.  This was one of my favorite things i visited.  So vibrant and fun.  Something like this would be a huge to the gateway area, but i do think it would take away from the east 4th area...

• Like 2

Just now, G00pie said:

One of my life goals is to watch the iNDIANS play in every ballpark.  2 years ago i went on a 10 day road trip with them, starting in St. Louis.  This was one of my favorite things i visited.  So vibrant and fun.  Something like this would be a huge to the gateway area, but i do think it would take away from the east 4th area...

I think the two could be bifurcated. I.e. there could be a stipulation that none of the vendors there have anything more than  a warming kitchen, things like that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I think the two could be bifurcated. I.e. there could be a stipulation that none of the vendors there have anything more than  a warming kitchen, things like that. 

Id be fine with that, like a giant bar/gathering area with limited food options and lots of things to do. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YABO713 said:

This concept was in the initial plans for Nucleus, but we all know where that stands currently.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WindyBuckeye said:

This concept was in the initial plans for Nucleus, but we all know where that stands currently.

No, I don't think we do.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

17 hours ago, G00pie said:

If we were to see something like this succeed in Cleveland, we would need a perennial contender, as the Cardinals have been for decades.   The  LOU gets out to support that team!  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Is that why Ballpark village is so successful? 

I was there a few years ago right before the hotel opened. It wasn't my cup of tea - the Landing is more my scene - but I will say it was completely packed, and people were probably having more fun there than at the game itself. Almost like a reverse Wrigley.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

If we were to see something like this succeed in Cleveland, we would need a perennial contender, as the Cardinals have been for decades.   The  LOU gets out to support that team!  

I used to live in KC back in 2014-15 and they have the "Power and Light's District" that has a bunch of bars, restaurants, shops and also has an outdoor venue similar to this and that thing was always busy when I lived there. They were constantly hosting concerts, events, bar crawls, etc. I don't think you need to have a successful sports franchise to have an outdoor gathering place like this to succeed. I know it's not exactly the same since the Royals/Chiefs don't play anywhere near downtown in KC but there is plenty to do in a venue like this besides watch a baseball or football team in the bar or on the projection screen under the roof. 

https://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stang10 said:

I used to live in KC back in 2014-15 and they have the "Power and Light's District" that has a bunch of bars, restaurants, shops and also has an outdoor venue similar to this and that thing was always busy when I lived there. They were constantly hosting concerts, events, bar crawls, etc. I don't think you need to have a successful sports franchise to have an outdoor gathering place like this to succeed. I know it's not exactly the same since the Royals/Chiefs don't play anywhere near downtown in KC but there is plenty to do in a venue like this besides watch a baseball or football team in the bar or on the projection screen under the roof. 

https://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

I've been there many times.   The difference is the P&L District doesn't have it's own version of E 4th just blocks away....  

2 hours ago, Cleburger said:

The Indians are one of the most successful teams in the last decade. Constantly one the most well run too due the the front office and coaching that are put into place. Player development is also top notch. I’m not getting into this debate though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cleburger said:

I've been there many times.   The difference is the P&L District doesn't have it's own version of E 4th just blocks away....  

I think that was part of the enthusiasm around the beleaguered, original Nucleus proposal; it was supposed to have a "Cleveland Live" venue, that would have also served as an E. 4th Street extension. The watered-down version makes no mention.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JB said:

The Indians are one of the most successful teams in the last decade. Constantly one the most well run too due the the front office and coaching that are put into place. Player development is also top notch. I’m not getting into this debate though.

Sorry I should have been more clearer.   The Indians would need to be perennial contenders to support a project like this AND E 4th St.   Or the Cavs too, for that matter.   

The Indians have been relatively successful since the late 90's, but the Cardinals have been doing it for decades (11 World series titles, 19 NL pennants, 14 division titles, 3 Wild Cards to the Indians 2/6/10/1 all time) 

Guest skiwest

I listened to part of Chema interview om 92.3. He didn't think the football stadium should have been built on the lakefront. He would like to eventually see a new one built near Progressive Field.

5 hours ago, skiwest said:

I listened to part of Chema interview om 92.3. He didn't think the football stadium should have been built on the lakefront. He would like to eventually see a new one built near Progressive Field.

A coworker of mine has always been a fan of the area right below Gateway in the flats, it'd be an interesting location...but I'm also not ready to give up on a stadium that was built 21 years ago.

I'm a bills fan, our stadium is from the 70's and while it's nothing special, it's not crappy enough to merit a $1B public stadium (ironically, corporate fans want it built in the city/waterfront).

image.png.785625178a37f4a1b0af8ed26f7f6049.png

Edited by GISguy
Fan types

Just now, GISguy said:

A coworker of mine has always been a fan of the area right below Gateway in the flats, it'd be an interesting location...but I'm also not ready to give up on a stadium that was built 21 years ago.

I'm a bills fan, our stadium is from the 70's and while it's nothing special, it's not crappy enough to merit a $1B public stadium (ironically, fans want it built in the city/waterfront).

image.png.785625178a37f4a1b0af8ed26f7f6049.png

I think that would be a good spot for the stadium if it had to move form the lakefront.  Having all three facilities near each other would help centralize events and help the local businesses with planing and staffing needs.

I used to park in those lots years ago.  Also went to quite a few shows when the old Amphitheater was down there.  I agree that it's an interesting location, but I'm not sure that'd be enough room for a NFL stadium??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dar124 said:

I used to park in those lots years ago.  Also went to quite a few shows when the old Amphitheater was down there.  I agree that it's an interesting location, but I'm not sure that'd be enough room for a NFL stadium??

I miss the Ampitheater and the good vibe down there. Actually this area is pretty special and really lends itself toward recreational amenities and smaller scale attractions. Like, the boardwalk should definitely come through here as there's significant space for residual development. Some of the historic buildings along Canal look like they're still in good shape too. 

Something the size of Browns stadium may technically be able to squeeze in, but it would absolutely overwhelm this area. Anyhow it would certainly be interesting to see site plans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GISguy said:

I'm a bills fan, our stadium is from the 70's and while it's nothing special, it's not crappy enough to merit a $1B public stadium (ironically, fans want it built in the city/waterfront).

I thought most Bills fans want to stay in Orchard Park.  It's easy, and there is the ocean of parking lots for the Bills Mafia tailgates.   No way you could get all that space in downtown Buffalo.  

3 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

I thought most Bills fans want to stay in Orchard Park.  It's easy, and there is the ocean of parking lots for the Bills Mafia tailgates.   No way you could get all that space in downtown Buffalo.  

Oh most tailgaters do, it's the corporate dollars that want to move it, but I digress lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to add to the off-topic discussion of the Herold building in the Nucleus thread, so I figured I'd add this here. I remember seeing this a few months ago, but for whatever reason I didn't post it. The link below is to a site that has more renderings/floor plans. It's nice to see they added some more floors from the original design. 

http://www.ainorm.com/hark

Herold+7+v3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 2

Here's what Stark had with its LoopNet listing for 310-320 Prospect. I can no longer find this listing.  This was a printscreen of the enlarged image in the listing, so the resolution isn't too great. The floorplates are about 8,000 gross square feet between existing/new, except for the eighth floor which appears to be about half as large, or 4,000 square feet. That brings the total to about 60,000 gross square feet.

The Herold-Stark.JPG

1 hour ago, ASPhotoman said:

I didn't want to add to the off-topic discussion of the Herold building in the Nucleus thread, so I figured I'd add this here. I remember seeing this a few months ago, but for whatever reason I didn't post it. The link below is to a site that has more renderings/floor plans. It's nice to see they added some more floors from the original design. 

Herold+7+v3.jpg

For those of us that do not work downtown - Does anyone have a current picture of the Herold Building so that we could do a Before/After comparison.

4 minutes ago, simplythis said:

For those of us that do not work downtown - Does anyone have a current picture of the Herold Building so that we could do a Before/After comparison.

Yes! I took these photos last summer when Stark submitted its application to demolish 310 Prospect.

300blockProspect-southside-071519s.jpg

202-310 Prospect Ave-080919-2.jpg

202-310 Prospect Ave-080919.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ASPhotoman said:

The dates on the images are from 2017. That also means Stark tried demolishing the Herold building last year long after those renderings were made.

I am still confused whether this renovation of the Herold and new build is actually a go, but if it is it is interesting how this kind of development flies in the face of all the Stark arguments and talking points before Landmark just a few months ago.  Shows that if you actually make an effort there is a solution to the problem rather than taking the easy way out.

• Like 2

Just now, Htsguy said:

I am still confused whether this renovation of the Herold and new build is actually a go, but if it is it is interesting how this kind of development flies in the face of all the Stark arguments and talking points before Landmark just a few months ago.  Shows that if you actually make an effort there is a solution to the problem rather than taking the easy way out.

Given what Mendo just posted above I am even more confused.