Guest Clueless,Ohio

Cleveland: Cudell / West Boulevard: Development and News

Finally some west side TOD ūüôā

Google Streetview:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/10031+Detroit+Ave,+Cleveland,+OH+44102/@41.4797893,-81.7538502,3a,75y,189.35h,88.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXbJ9BS_jkDi21BN9KIgTIQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DXbJ9BS_jkDi21BN9KIgTIQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.gws-prod.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D200.3929%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x8830f1c3d47c3d4d:0xe99db29516cfe036!8m2!3d41.4796057!4d-81.7539453

The Palazzo realizes chef-owner’s dream on Cleveland’s West Side

Today 6:00 AM

By Marc Bona, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Years ago, not long after Rafael Zaloshnja had emigrated to the United States, he would pass by an intriguing, vacant building on his way to work.

"I was always in love with this building. When I came to America I worked at Heck's and I'm taking the bus, and all the time I would say 'What's going on with this building, why is it closed?' "

The building, at 10031 Detroit Avenue just west of West Boulevard, had been closed since 1997 until Zaloshnja opened it June 1, said Giuseppe O'Connell, a veteran restaurant worker, server and de facto manager.

In an earlier incarnation, The Palazzo was Palmina's Restaurant, which stood for decades. That restaurant opened in 1947 across the street from the current location before it moved in 1954. The city had appropriated its location for the West Side Rapid Transit.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/10/the-palazzo-realizes-chef-owners-dream-on-clevelands-west-side.html

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL

How is that TOD?  He reduced the density of the neighborhood by tearing down a neighboring apartment building so they could add parking. That is not TOD.

Now if he had partnered with a developer to put the restaurant on the ground floor of a 10-story residential building with parking reduced below the code's minimum and maybe a narrowed Detroit Avenue between it and the rapid station, now we're talking TOD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

^Sorry guys, that was tongue-in-cheek...I should have done a winky face or some other different emoji.  And the west side "finally" getting something was a joke too. 

Relatedly, you can see the demolished building by going back in time from the Google Streetview link. 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 3

Fun fact!

The cost to demolish that building was just over $90k, which was paid for by public money! The back taxes were also wiped clean! And now Westown Development Corp owns the lot, which they can conveniently traansfer to the restaurant for even more parking!

The Dona Brady Center for Parking and Transparent Government Accountability is becoming the most expensive, publicly-funded, private parking lot this neighborhood has ever seen! Really exciting!

Keep in mind that someone was actively trying to buy and restore that apartment building but Ward 11 and Westown would not work with him.

Edited by jws
  • Sad 1
  • Poison 3

6 hours ago, jws said:

Fun fact!

The cost to demolish that building was just over $90k, which was paid for by public money! The back taxes were also wiped clean! And now Westown Development Corp owns the lot, which they can conveniently traansfer to the restaurant for even more parking!

The Dona Brady Center for Parking and Transparent Government Accountability is becoming the most expensive, publicly-funded, private parking lot this neighborhood has ever seen! Really exciting!

Keep in mind that someone was actively trying to buy and restore that apartment building but Ward 11 and Westown would not work with him.

Every time I drive by there, they are parking cars on the grass lot where the building once stood.   That, as far as I know, is against city ordinance.  

Kudos to Weston and Degeronimo for this development. They went the extra mile with landscaping and planting trees. And there’s no fence! 

05CA284B-6B4B-4B4F-9EFB-76F9C189C016.jpeg

• Like 7

Chicle-streetview_June-2019-2.jpg

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2019

Chiclets gum factory apartments, townhouses get new owner

An enigmatic, California-based real estate investor has purchased the Chicle Apartments and Chicle Townhomes (Chicle is pronounced "chick-lee") from a local firm that renovated the former Chiclets gum factory and built the townhomes on Cleveland's west side nearly 15 years ago.

Little is known about managing member Krishna Venkatarama of Cupertino, Calif. or his intentions involving multiple properties at 10307-10335 Detroit Ave., in the Cudell neighborhood. On Nov. 25, Venkatarama and his partners acquired the properties near the West Boulevard Red Line rail station through three companies created in September.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/12/chiclets-gum-factory-apartments.html

• Like 4

One detail worth noting: this parcel technically falls within that little strip of Ward 11 and therefore Westown's territory.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jws said:

One detail worth noting: this parcel technically falls within that little strip of Ward 11 and therefore Westown's territory.

And Councilman Zone's ward wraps around it on three sides. Amazing that a democrat came up with that gerrymander.

Anyway, I'd love to hear that these guys will finish what Kemper started. Hopefully.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KJP said:

And Councilman Zone's ward wraps around it on three sides. Amazing that a democrat came up with that gerrymander.

Anyway, I'd love to hear that these guys will finish what Kemper started. Hopefully.

A "Democrat"

Hopefully Ward boundaries will shift next year and this stretch of Detroit can finally receive the political will necessary to execute a cohesive planning vision. The NOACA study and neighborhood planning can only do so much if the area is split between an in-touch councilperson and one that isn't concerned with implementing anything.

The Weston connection is interesting. I wonder if the Berea Rd development (also within the Ward 11 strip) was enough to keep them interested in the area. The RTA lot and the adjacent RTA-owned lot are also such huge development options.

Edited by jws
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jws said:

A "Democrat"

Hopefully Ward boundaries will shift next year and this stretch of Detroit can finally receive the political will necessary to execute a cohesive planning vision. The NOACA study and neighborhood planning can only do so much if the area is split between an in-touch councilperson and one that isn't concerned with implementing anything.

The Weston connection is interesting. I wonder if the Berea Rd development (also within the Ward 11 strip) was enough to keep them interested in the area. The RTA lot and the adjacent RTA-owned lot are also such huge development options.

They need to get Dona Brady completely out of this area and get it in Matt Zone's Ward. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freefourur said:

They need to get Dona Brady completely out of this area and get it in Matt Zone's Ward. 

Fingers crossed that Ward 11 is eliminated entirely and divided up. Lorain Station is the true commercial business district for Cudell, even with the highway separating it, and they really don't appreciate that area for the gem it is.

• Like 3

^ Very glad they're saving this building. That stretch of Madison is just such an ugly duckling, it's hard to envision things turning around there. 

The permit must’ve been filed after the work was done. Whoever did the exterior should never be allowed to pick up any tool of any kind after this.  Biggest hack job I’ve ever seen. It’s shameful.

Edited by marty15

13 minutes ago, marty15 said:

The permit must’ve been filed after the work was done. Whoever did the exterior should never be allowed to pick up any tool of any kind after this.  Biggest hack job I’ve ever seen. It’s shameful.

Got good bones though. Could be beautiful.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Growth Mindset said:

Got good bones though. Could be beautiful.

Absolutely agree. Pisses me off seeing such a hatchet job done on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marty15 said:

Checking Google maps, that seems like the only block that's still intact. Some really awful land use surrounding it. But Cleveland Lumber is truly a gem, along with the house next to it.

I actually had a co-worker who lived right by there. An attorney. She was from Romania and had no concept of "good vs. bad" neighborhood.  She just saw a good deal on rent. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Checking Google maps, that seems like the only block that's still intact. Some really awful land use surrounding it. But Cleveland Lumber is truly a gem, along with the house next to it.

I actually had a co-worker who lived right by there. An attorney. She was from Romania and had no concept of "good vs. bad" neighborhood.  She just saw a good deal on rent. 

Lots of bad land use on Madison, but the housing stock in the 80s/90s off Madison is actually really good. I’m a relatively pessimistic fellow but I could easily see this area turning around in the next 20 years. A few new apartment complexes facing Madison would really change the feel of the street. It’s relatively narrow as far as main streets go in Cleveland. There have always been (very very well hidden) artistic venues in and around this area. I think it’s already seen as a viable, cheaper alternative to Detroit Shoreway for some younger folks.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bumsquare said:

Lots of bad land use on Madison, but the housing stock in the 80s/90s off Madison is actually really good. I’m a relatively pessimistic fellow but I could easily see this area turning around in the next 20 years. A few new apartment complexes facing Madison would really change the feel of the street. It’s relatively narrow as far as main streets go in Cleveland. There have always been (very very well hidden) artistic venues in and around this area. I think it’s already seen as a viable, cheaper alternative to Detroit Shoreway for some younger folks.

Good lord 20 years....I'm not pessimistic by nature, just overall angry that I'll likely be dead by then lol. 

• Sad 1
  • Poison 1

The growth west down Lorain and Detroit gives this area promise. Cleveland Lumber, can’t beat the service. Not only will they deliver what you need, they carry it in from the street. I use them for everything. 

• Like 2

Sidenote, I’m guessing Cleveland Lumber’s main building was a theater at one point. Can any of you dig up pics?

7 hours ago, marty15 said:

Sidenote, I’m guessing Cleveland Lumber’s main building was a theater at one point. Can any of you dig up pics?

20610573-1333-4555-B517-A98FFFE1C240.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

^Dont be surprised when this neighborhood starts to take off in about 5 years or so. I am actually pretty confident in this statement because I was originally someone who was very down on this area too.

I was looking for investment properties and chose to invest further south towards Lorain/Denison in an expectation that area would be first to pick up. Ironically, I’m seeing more renovations further north in cudell, so I’ll fully admit, I may have been wrong on this one...

that said, the potential of the Lorain/Denison built environment still has me patiently optimistic because it’s such a beautiful strip! 

• Like 4

Every time this thread becomes active again I climb up on my soap box so strap in, everyone.

I concur with the group that this permit appears to be a retroactively filed one. They painted the building and put wood siding over the blocked-in ground level windows? It doesn't look...any worse, I guess. But the boards aren't even finished with trim at the end so you can see the raw edges butting up against the brick. Fingers crossed that someone is looking to do a full rehab of the thing.

Regarding the neighborhood changing, Cudell has already had some pretty dramatic market shfits within the past two years. The median sale price for January was 118k and there were six sales, which is crazy considering real estate prices prior to the past year. 

The biggest change I've noticed are all of the investors popping out of nowhere, both from NEO and elswhere (exhibit A: https://ibuysh*tholehouses.com/). Holton-Wise signs are popping up more, two houses on W100 between Marietta and Madison are now full-time AirBnBs, and investors are doing things like selling properties between each other for 100k after holding on to them for a few months and doing hack job renovations (in one house the doors didn't close because they used the wrong hinges. It was very bad). My main point is that speculators have already descended on the neighborhood but it may not appear that way to someone just passing through along Madison. It's usually only visible once the damage is done and all of the refugee families have been replaced by open-concept flips with those grey wood grain vinyl peel-and-stick floors from Home Depot.

Excluding investor/speculators from the mix, the neighborhood has a few very strong nodes in terms of more sustainable investment, stability, minimal to no crime, etc. The primary ones are West Blvd/W101/W100, W93/Willard and some of the small single-block streets around West Tech, and W87/89/91 between Sauer and Madison. It would be wonderful to see people who actually care about the neighborhood and its history invest in Cudell. There are a lot of really intricate networks of refugees and immigrants in the neighborhood alongside homeowners who have been here since the 1940s. IMO one of the biggest strengths of Cudell is that it's where a family can still find a decent 3 bedroom house on a relatively quiet street for under 800/mo. I'm more willing to sacrifice visible "improvement" by Investor Bob from Staten Island if it means maintaining a functional community. But seriously if anyone wants a meaningful neighborhood tour please let me know. I've heard rumors (unsubstantiated so far) that the infill development around West Tech may be completed by a new developer.

Regarding land use on Madison, it's actually overwhelmingly the same as it was in the 1950s (including most of the buildings). The street was never the commercial heart of the neighborhood and, in a way, it's nice to know that we haven't lost that much.

The densest commercial area was the area around Cleveland Lumber. A few buildings have been lost between W98 and W96, but that was because of a fire a few years ago. I stole this photo from Facebook that shows the area around W98. The large apartment building burned and took with it the few little commercial buildings to its right, but otherwise all of these buildings are still standing:

image.thumb.png.f2eebb761ad7b7dc99e4ab9ce212cc44.png 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, YO to the CLE said:

that said, the potential of the Lorain/Denison built environment still has me patiently optimistic because it’s such a beautiful strip! 

IMO Lorain Station is the best commercial district on the west side. I want to see it thrive SO BADLY. Fingers crossed no more buildings are demolished for PaRkInG

• Like 4

^Agreed. More intact than Gordon Square and W 25th were IMO. I definitely share your sentiments about this area. I've seen renovations going on, but a lot of them are speculators doing crap work. That whole area of Cudell/West Blvd is at a cross roads I feel. I'd love to see the storefronts filled in and the historic structures better maintained, and I think we can absolutely do it here without displacing the diversity that makes this neighborhood great...The problem is, I don't think the political representation here has the know-how to support that happening organically, so what's going to happen is exactly what we are seeing now. 

EDIT: I guess to clarify, I want to see a little bit more wealth come in and "discover" the neighborhood because there are absolutely some long term crap landlords and owners who have let their properties fall into disrepair who need to go, and I think a slight uptick in the neighborhood's wealth will help to fill the storefronts. However, I don't want to see the great people who already call the neighborhood home and maintain their properties pushed out by investors. There is a way to accomplish this from a political level using code enforcement and incentives, but I don't see the representation doing that here. Hope that provides more clarity to my above statement.

Edited by YO to the CLE
Additional Clarification
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, YO to the CLE said:

EDIT: I guess to clarify, I want to see a little bit more wealth come in and "discover" the neighborhood because there are absolutely some long term crap landlords and owners who have let their properties fall into disrepair who need to go, and I think a slight uptick in the neighborhood's wealth will help to fill the storefronts. However, I don't want to see the great people who already call the neighborhood home and maintain their propertie

Your point is totally clear! I agree.

The owner of Cleveland Lumber is a great steward of the neighborhood. He's renovated the commercial block at W98/Madison and has been great about making the storefronts accessible to unique businesses. Unfortunately, the Edna Boutique couldn't make it, but it's really exciting to see Outlandish Press, the hand-made sign place, and now Print Camp (t-shirt press, I believe) all right in a row. I'm a big proponent of using more businesses like these to activate the storefronts because I think it would create a really unique area that also avoids some of the more traditional conflicts that result from just jamming in a few bars and saying you've made a new entertainment district, which is unfortunately how a lot of leadership seems to view "revitalization."

• Like 2

I lived on 93rd for a year and a half (just moved out into Ohio City). I'm also in agreement that this neighborhood is going to start seeing significant development in the next 5 years. The housing stock is surprisingly serviceable, and there are plenty of 3 bed houses that just need updating to modern fixtures and they would then become great rentals or first homes for buyers.

It's still a little rough around the edges, and there are a few drug houses that need to go, but beyond that it's got great bones. I think it's one of the best neighborhoods for value in the city right now.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bumsquare said:

As an aside (related to housing stock condition), I attended CSU in the early 90's as an east side kid from the burbs.   I dated a west burbs girl all through college who had lots of friends living in this neighborhood, which in the early 90's was still very much a solid working class neighborhood, not unlike West Park.   We used to frequent the little bars on Madison for cheap drinks before heading out downtown. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jws said:

Every time this thread becomes active again I climb up on my soap box so strap in, everyone.

I concur with the group that this permit appears to be a retroactively filed one. They painted the building and put wood siding over the blocked-in ground level windows? It doesn't look...any worse, I guess. But the boards aren't even finished with trim at the end so you can see the raw edges butting up against the brick. Fingers crossed that someone is looking to do a full rehab of the thing.

Regarding the neighborhood changing, Cudell has already had some pretty dramatic market shfits within the past two years. The median sale price for January was 118k and there were six sales, which is crazy considering real estate prices prior to the past year. 

The biggest change I've noticed are all of the investors popping out of nowhere, both from NEO and elswhere (exhibit A: https://ibuysh*tholehouses.com/). Holton-Wise signs are popping up more, two houses on W100 between Marietta and Madison are now full-time AirBnBs, and investors are doing things like selling properties between each other for 100k after holding on to them for a few months and doing hack job renovations (in one house the doors didn't close because they used the wrong hinges. It was very bad). My main point is that speculators have already descended on the neighborhood but it may not appear that way to someone just passing through along Madison. It's usually only visible once the damage is done and all of the refugee families have been replaced by open-concept flips with those grey wood grain vinyl peel-and-stick floors from Home Depot.

Excluding investor/speculators from the mix, the neighborhood has a few very strong nodes in terms of more sustainable investment, stability, minimal to no crime, etc. The primary ones are West Blvd/W101/W100, W93/Willard and some of the small single-block streets around West Tech, and W87/89/91 between Sauer and Madison. It would be wonderful to see people who actually care about the neighborhood and its history invest in Cudell. There are a lot of really intricate networks of refugees and immigrants in the neighborhood alongside homeowners who have been here since the 1940s. IMO one of the biggest strengths of Cudell is that it's where a family can still find a decent 3 bedroom house on a relatively quiet street for under 800/mo. I'm more willing to sacrifice visible "improvement" by Investor Bob from Staten Island if it means maintaining a functional community. But seriously if anyone wants a meaningful neighborhood tour please let me know. I've heard rumors (unsubstantiated so far) that the infill development around West Tech may be completed by a new developer.

Regarding land use on Madison, it's actually overwhelmingly the same as it was in the 1950s (including most of the buildings). The street was never the commercial heart of the neighborhood and, in a way, it's nice to know that we haven't lost that much.

The densest commercial area was the area around Cleveland Lumber. A few buildings have been lost between W98 and W96, but that was because of a fire a few years ago. I stole this photo from Facebook that shows the area around W98. The large apartment building burned and took with it the few little commercial buildings to its right, but otherwise all of these buildings are still standing:

image.thumb.png.f2eebb761ad7b7dc99e4ab9ce212cc44.png 

Side note it is amazing how fast cities around the country went downhill after the 1950s. It makes me a little sad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Side note it is amazing how fast cities around the country went downhill after the 1950s. It makes me a little sad. 

It shows how fragile cities are. And it takes so much longer to rebuild them.

• Sad 1

• Like 5

Just got word from multiple sources that Amazon has leased the entire warehouse that was build on the corner of 110th and Berea Road. Heard that construction of the 2nd warehouse on that lot will start not to long after they move in. 

• Like 11

Madison+Industrial+Park-Weston1.jpg

FRIDAY, MARCH 27, 2020

Amazon to add hundreds of jobs on Cleveland's West Side

Three sources confirm that e-commerce giant Amazon has agreed to occupy a large new warehouse on Cleveland's West Side and ultimately build out the rest of the site with more distribution facilities. The sources spoke off the record because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the deal.

By the end of this year, Amazon will put at least 100 jobs into Madison Industrial Park with more jobs to follow. It will start by retrofitting and occupying a 168,750-square-foot building constructed last year at 10801 Madison Ave. Amazon will lease the building from developer and owner Weston Group. DiGeronimo Companies' Independence Construction was the building contractor.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/03/amazon-to-add-hundreds-of-jobs-on.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KJP said:

Madison+Industrial+Park-Weston1.jpg

FRIDAY, MARCH 27, 2020

Amazon to add hundreds of jobs on Cleveland's West Side

Three sources confirm that e-commerce giant Amazon has agreed to occupy a large new warehouse on Cleveland's West Side and ultimately build out the rest of the site with more distribution facilities. The sources spoke off the record because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the deal.

By the end of this year, Amazon will put at least 100 jobs into Madison Industrial Park with more jobs to follow. It will start by retrofitting and occupying a 168,750-square-foot building constructed last year at 10801 Madison Ave. Amazon will lease the building from developer and owner Weston Group. DiGeronimo Companies' Independence Construction was the building contractor.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/03/amazon-to-add-hundreds-of-jobs-on.html

Just realized how close this location is to both the West Blvd. and  W.117 RTA Red Line rapid stations. Hopefully this works out for all parties involved!

Edited by ytown2ctown
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ytown2ctown said:

Just realized how close this location is to both the West Blvd. and  W.117 RTA Red Line rapid stations. Hopefully this works out for all parties involved!

I've been concerned for a while about the mixed-use building across the street from that RTA. Has there been any signs of life there recently? Would be great to see that bar reopen, it was nothing fancy but it was perfectly okay and had a great patio.

It certainly looked like a "demolition by neglect" property for a time. 

• Like 1