Sign in to follow this  
Guest natininja

2012 Presidential Election Discussion

I just read on a chart in a column in today's NY Times about the election (http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/11/10/opinion/10blow-gr.html?ref=opinion), that based on exit polls, Hispanics in Ohio voted for Obama at 54%, far lower than any other state listed, and of course well below the overall national figure of over 70%. Is that possible? Are Ohio Hispanics really so much more conservative?

Moreso than Florida?  That's hard to believe considering the Cuban population.

One thing that's different about Ohio (at least NE Ohio) Hispanics is they are predominantly Puerto Rican, not Mexican.

More Cubans voted for Obama than Romney this last election in Florida.  That is incredible to me

Florida Cubans have finally seen the light!

Isn't 'Hispanic' an acceptable term?

NO!  Damn what Nixon, Ford & Chicano/Mexican American's think!  We are LATINO!

I get the thinking that you aren't from Spain and therefore not "Hispanic", but you aren't from Rome either, honey.

Isn't 'Hispanic' an acceptable term?

NO!  Damn what Nixon, Ford & Chicano/Mexican American's think!  We are LATINO!

I get the thinking that you aren't from Spain and therefore not "Hispanic", but you aren't from Rome either, honey.

And Italians aren't Latino either!  The language may be married by Latin, but not the culture!  So don't go there with me, Hunty!

Inside Team Romney's whale of an IT meltdown

As one Orca user described it to Ars, the entire episode was a "huge clusterf@#$." Here's how it happened.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/inside-team-romneys-whale-of-an-it-meltdown

Irony Alert Department:

From the comments section at arstechnica:

I heard it was Accenture, specifically the Indian based developers.

There was a lot of discussion during this election regarding the accuracy of polling.  In the end, I thought the aggregate of public polling turned out to be fairly accurate on the whole.  The websites that averaged all polling turned out to be fairly good predictors.  The ones, such as Nate Silver's 538, which took into account historically proven 'leans' in the polls, did the best.  Silver recently took a look at all of the polls from 2012 and how they leaned -  http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/#more-37396.  Perhaps the two best known polling firms, Gallup and Rasmussen, had the biggest leans..... both heavily towards the GOP.  Rasmussen was no surprise as they almost always have a GOP lean, but the gigantic miss by Gallup is going to make that firm rethink its methodology I would assume.

polling was very accurate down the stretch for the most part, but it will never be anything more than a guide to what real results are.  Too many variables affecting turnout, as this year proved what a huge impact weather can be.  I think the US should take a real look at what the impact of this polling data has on the actual voter turnout.  I forget where I read it, but some other country bans any polling within 2 weeks of the election.  I'd like to see something like that adopted here. 

^^I wouldn't hold out any hope for governmental restrictions regarding much of anything leading up to the election.  Citizens United set the tone.  No matter how you might think one thing or another affects voter turnout or improprerly influences elections, the precedent will likely hold firm that the government can't restrict that behavoir.

Increasingly it appears that Jon Husted cannot be trusted and needs to be removed from office.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/11/federal_judge_rips_husted_for.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Federal judge rips Jon Husted for unconstitutional change to Ohio election rules

By Joe Guillen, The Plain Dealer

"Ohio voters reasonably expect that the secretary of Ohio will abide by the General Assembly’s laws in administering a federal election," Marbley wrote. "For an executive of the state to (flout) state law in arbitrarily reassigning a poll worker’s statutory duty to a voter, with the result being disenfranchisement of the voter, is ‘fundamentally unfair and constitutionally impermissible.’"

Husted’s Nov. 2 directive to local elections officials gave them new instructions to reject certain provisional ballots from voters who did not properly fill out the portion of the ballot application that asks for a form of identification.

Marbley’s ruling said the directive violates a state law that places the responsibility on poll workers – not voters – to properly fill out the ballot application. The directive also violates an agreement reached in federal court, called a consent decree, that protects provisional ballots that contain mistakes due to poll worker error, according to the ruling.

^Ohio attorney general Mike Dewine probably won't charge Husted.  It's all political to these guys.  I don't know who else could charge him.  Eric Holder?  The Cuyahoga County prosecutor?

He will not be removed from office, and as noted by the article's first comment, the PD will probably endorse him for reelection.

Charge him with what?  A crime?  I doubt it.  Violating the constitution is not a crime.  But I suppose he could be made to appear before the Ohio Ethics Commission.... which could potentially lead to criminal charges.  Don't hold your breath.  Husted will face his punishment when/if he tries for reelection.

Charge him with what?  A crime?  I doubt it.  Violating the constitution is not a crime.  But I suppose he could be made to appear before the Ohio Ethics Commission.... which could potentially lead to criminal charges.  Don't hold your breath.  Husted will face his punishment when/if he tries for reelection.

PD: U.S. District Judge Algenon Marbley said a directive on counting provisional ballots that Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted issued on Nov. 2 was "a flagrant violation of a state elections law" that could disenfranchise voters.

The ruling/viewer details: Just as in Duncan, the

Secretary's action here is a flagrant violation of a state election law, O.R.C. ? 3505.181(B)(6),

and it has the result of disenfranchising voters, by rejecting provisional ballots cast in good faith.

This violation of state law rises to an abuse of federal due process and necessitates the granting

of injunctive relief by a federal court.

Yes, Husted can use his authority to shield himself.  It is typical in modern America.

Interesting vote breakdown on Ron Paul forums (not scientific, but confirms some of my suspicions)

Barack Obama 12%

Mitt Romney 8%

Gary Johnson          41%

^Interesting, I would have suspected Johnson would do well, but also that Goode would get a good chunk of them. I would not have called a higher Obama than Romney, but am not surprised that neither picked up a large share of the Paul fans.

Virgil Goode got about the same support as Jill Stein! The Constitution Party, for whatever reason hasn't been a popular choice on RP forums.

Again, this isn't a comprehensive statistical breakdown, but it represents some of the most active supporters within the RP universe.

The Constitution Party platform and the "constitutional conservatism" (as they put it) of the RP faction have very little in common.  I'm not surprised that Virgil Goode was a distant also-ran in the heart of RP cyberspace.  The Constitution Party platform and the Gary Johnson platform (the RP favorite) aren't even all that similar on economic issues, and on social issues, you practically couldn't find two platforms farther apart.

Indiana man gets Romney-Ryan tattoo removed

Story.jpg

:wtf:

Eric Hartsburg of Michigan City, Ind., says he plans to have the red-and-blue "R'' removed from its prominent place next to his right eye.

He says a Republican supporter paid him $15,000 to get the tattoo and keep it until at least the election was over...

Hartsburg says he reached out to the Romney campaign about the tattoo, but feels snubbed that no campaign staffer ever contacted him.