Sign in to follow this  
Guest seangray

Cincinnati: Downtown: Bay Horse Cafe (625 Main Street)

Woo Hoo!! I see the neon in the alley ready to go up too, have they turned it on yet? I almost went up Main last night but instead just kept going on till i got to Vine to avoid seeing the Dennison Hotel remains. Maybe this will be a reason to go up Main St again.

Fred has rescued this property from becoming a part of the Aronoff's parking lot into the return after a short hiatus in its 200 years as a watering hole in downtown. Glad that the sign renovation was noticed, but only Fred would have simply returned this landmark to the charm and place of historic importance it deserved. It is glitz free. Lovely restoration inside preserving even the tile floors.  It may not turn out to be the trendiest place in the CBD, and the Aronoff folks may use all of their powers to oppose it, but look for a soft opening later this month or first of next at the latest. I'll post it first here.

^the sign is great. Is Fred planning to do other things to the building to restore it's place of historic importance, such as removing the rollup steel overhead door framing the current entrance?

...only Fred would have simply returned this landmark to the charm and place of historic importance it deserved. It is glitz free.

Sorry, but steel roll up overhead doors, unpainted window sashes and shutters, and the like, do not qualify as "charm" and a return to "place of historic importance".  Give me a break about security concerns.

And no I'm not a conservation snob. It's called taking proper care of stuff.

You just don't spend money on a sign restoration before these things.

I didn't say the roll up would stay or go. I said it would be driven by security concerns.

Geez, another sidewalk superintendent who can't take a bit of good news without pissing on someone.

I agree with 1400 Sycamore -- it's glitz free and unpretentiously rehabbed.  It looks like as much as possible that's original has been preserved and restored, and any new additions seem to fit in seamlessly.  It amazes me that so much of the original floor tile remained intact.  The bar was apparently salvaged from another location but looks right at home in the Bay Horse.

Well done!!! 

I hope this thoughtful rehab project inspires others in the vicinity to do their part.  The jewelry store, Richter and Phillips, did a beautiful job when they moved across to the other corner.  The old Spatz Health Food  building and old Player Piano Shop need some serious investment and I hope it's not too long before it happens.  Parts of Main Street have been about the most decrepit areas of the CBD for too long.  Restoration of the Bay Horse Cafe is a big step in the right direction.