KJP

Cleveland: Random Photos

Many of us take a picture here and there as we're walking along downtown or in the city's neighborhoods, or biking for travel or recreation, or as we're getting off a bus or train. Yet we don't share it. Even though the photo might be a really nice shot, it's just one shot. Or two or three. But the point is it's not enough to warrant an entire photo thread just for that photo or three.

I had such an occasion yesterday as I strolled out of my office building on a warm Friday lunch hour, and it was nice to see people out enjoying the day. So I fired off a few photos. Nothing more. Not enough to warrant a new thread -- well except as an idea to get one start where everyone can contribute up to a few photos....

Please don't misuse this. If you have a whole bunch of pictures (like more than six at the absolute max!), that's enough to warrant a stand-alone thread.

I figure this might also encourage more forumers to contribute photos on lots of different subjects, sites, dates, etc. And they don't have to be works of art like MayDay's. Just point, shoot, and upload (and hopefully resize so they're not gigantic!). It's that simple!

East9th-Euclid1-042012.jpg

East9th-Euclid3-042012.jpg

East9th-Euclid2-042012.jpg

Nice shots/nice idea, KJP--hopefully we'll be able to view Cleveland through more than what might be termed the routine "PR shots."  Please don't misunderstand and think that I mean no more pictures of the multitude of developments, etc.  Like you, I think these dynamic shots might to be supplemented with "people pictures" from every Cleveland locale, every Cleveland walk of life, every Cleveland nook and cranny.  (no mom & pop, dog & baby photos though--please relegate those to the family's scrapbook)

I hopped off the HeathLine at Playhouse Square Friday morning and fired off a couple.....

PlayhouseSquare-RTAstation1-042012.jpg

PlayhouseSquare-RTAstation2-042012.jpg

Not strolling, but one day last week near dusk I stopped off to take a picture of this newly renovated house (and rear carriage house) on Upper Prospect. Talked to the man walking who is the architect-owner of this. I believe it's the carriage house that's 'for lease'.

DSCF4721.jpg

DSCF4720.jpg

Upper Prospect definitely has some neat structures on it. Its unfortunate the street isnt in better condition overall though. Still, some great old houses and buildings.

Nice strolling pics, including the ones on Prospect. Even if you got out of the car for a second, you probably had to stroll up the curb to get a better shot, right? ;-)

Nice strolling pics, including the ones on Prospect. Even if you got out of the car for a second, you probably had to stroll up the curb to get a better shot, right? ;-)

Yes, definitely.

EDIT: Oops

^^ You are correct.  It is the coach house for lease.  Check out the pics in the link:  http://coakleyrealestate.com/?property=3047-prospect-ave-cleveland-oh-44115-midtown-corridor

Actually, the carriage house is leased. It is the garden level of the main house that is for available.

Here's something to stroll by:

http://fav.me/d39d4qi

I happened to take the earlier shot, having trained into the city on the Rapid, between flights.  I checkout out the same block (across from The Arcade) and found it had been utterly transformed.  As always, the earlier shot represents the "real" city, before it was kind of snuffed out.  But compare and decide for yourself.

Cleveland's still a plumb!

I happened to take the earlier shot, having trained into the city on the Rabid, between flights.  I checkout out the same block (across from The Arcade) and found it had been utterly transformed.  As always, the earlier shot represents the "real" city, before it was kind of snuffed out.  But compare and decide for yourself.

The Rabid??  Really?  That would be RAPID, as in fast!  Lawd.

Thanks for caching the error.

Thanks for caching the error.

No worries, I thought it was funny.  Besides, it happens to the best of us, sans the grammar sticklers!

No worries, I thought it was funny.  Besides, it happens to the best of us, sans the grammar sticklers!

It's fine.

Oh, these keyboards do slip.  Luckily it was RAPID, and I caught my plane with a minute to spare.  A Cleveland Brown was placed in the middle seat (in coach) - almost crushing me.  No wonder they left town for a while.

I happened to take the earlier shot, having trained into the city on the Rapid, between flights.  I checkout out the same block (across from The Arcade) and found it had been utterly transformed.  As always, the earlier shot represents the "real" city, before it was kind of snuffed out.  But compare and decide for yourself.

Interesting comparison. I remember both, as well as the missing in-between shot from 1993 when the Burger King's replacement (a Wendy's) had just closed as had just about everything else down there. So while I prefer many things from 1983 vs. today, I prefer today's scene to 1993.

Any pictures of the downtown Wendys?

Wendy's?  Arby's & McDonalds was across the street from BK, but I don't remember a wendy's.  Where was Wendy's?

I already said it. BK's spot was taken by Wendy's.

I went in there many times when I went to school at Dyke College, later Myers College, but now nothing as the school and its former building, the Columbia Building, are kaputsky.

Wendy's/BK, Arby's, and McDonald's all on the same corner?  I think I'll take today's food court over that food court.

Wendy's/BK, Arby's, and McDonald's all on the same corner?  I think I'll take today's food court over that food court.

Yep where 515 gargage is.  It was the Union Medical building or something like that.  I think a Lens Crafter or some eye care business was there and Radio Shack.

I already said it. BK's spot was taken by Wendy's.

I went in there many times when I went to school at Dyke College, later Myers College, but now nothing as the school and its former building, the Columbia Building, are kaputsky.

I don't remember BK turning into Wendy's. 

Wendy's was there for many years, at least through 2004. My boyfriend ate lunch there once a week when he was working downtown and sometimes I'd meet him. Of course, summer of 2004 is when they tore up E. 4th to make it what it is today. And I agree that I'd take E. 4th today...anyday...over what was there. Im old enough to remember the rip-off pawn stores, wig shops, and fast-food restaurants. It cannot be glamourized.

Great Picture!

strollm1.jpg

strollm2.jpg

I'm old enough to remember the rip-off pawn stores, wig shops, and fast-food restaurants. It cannot be glamourized.

Great Picture!

Thanks.  While I completely agree that I wouldn't want to spend a shopping day at the wig shops and bad pawnbrokers, there's something about a city which naturally deteriorates a little - or settles in on itself - which is simply more authentic.  The tendency, then, is to declare "blight" and re-do everything -- Napoleon-style.  When they renovated Grand Central Terminal in New York, they threw out the character with the shmutz.  Hence, you can no longer show people from whence it all came, as if twenty, thirty, even forty years of history never happened.  That's all.

^I definitely have a preference for that kind of authenticity too.  I used to love walking down East 4th in the mid 1990s.  The biggest loss by far since 1993, IMHO, is the old Otto Moser's.  I'm still morning its move to PHS, which erased a lot of its personality.

I certainly recognize how much nicer East 4th is now, though, by just about every other measure.  I just wish MRN had a slightly better sense of style.

^ and^^

Totally understand but unfortunately that kind of authenticity cant go on forever particularly in the city center. That's that fastest way to get something, or some area, razed.

Im glad that those who were chomping at the bit in the late 70s and early 80s to level everything east of the May Company Bldg (all the way to the Rose and Schofield) did not get their way. I would guess they saw it as a quick way to erase the blight. Luckily almost all of it survived (except for the Hipp and for the Central Mkt area southside of Prospect).

The world of the 1983 photograph is gone because of the "ride-it-down" mentality of the landlords of the era who were trying to get every buck out of the building without putting any back in.  It simply isn't sustainable, and the buildings and businesses deteriorate.  Then you have a vacant building.  If we are lucky, someone like MRN comes along- someone who is willing to invest in the buildings so that at least that part of the scene can be preserved and made relevant for another generation.

In a real estate market like downtown Cleveland's that's been more or less depressed since the Great Depression, I definitely agree that that kind of authenticity isn't sustainable. (Though I think the aesthetics of it can still be relevant.) And I think the landlord mentality of that era mostly reflected the real estate economics of it.  The major change since then is the availability of public money for the redevelopment of older buildings.  Not to take to much away from MRN, but their project worked because of massive public subsidies and non-profit involvement.

Meaty!

More signage on Cleveland's buildings?!  When did the Huntington Building or whatever it's called get the signage on it?

Nice.  I love the mounted cops.  Very underrated way to get kids excited about coming downtown

Or my girlfriend. HA!

Nice shots! I also saw a couple of smaller horses (maybe too big to be ponies) next to Euclid Avenue in University Circle today. Anyone know what that was about? The riders looked like racers.

We built this city... We built this city on sub-prime looooaaannnns

Well that sure came out thin air.

R1.gif

We built this city... We built this city on sub-prime looooaaannnns

Well that sure came out thin air.

It's David, what do you expect?  David, you know I say that with love.  Smooches.