• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest gottaplan

Cleveland: University Circle: Centric Development (formerly Intesa)

Look for a press release any day now on the final development plan for "Lot 45".  UCI put out an RFP last August I think for this parcel, 7 developers responded.  Shortlisted in December to two finalists and they've chosen a winner.  The project is going to be a huge attraction for the area, 12 story massing, sustainable design, includes office space, retail on ground floor, student housing, market rate apartments, large parking structure, connection to the new RTA stop and will totally change the pedestrian experience on Mayfield which is pretty miserable near the RR underpass to say the least.

^Well, you just made my day.  Maybe my week :)

Can't wait to hear more info and to see who the designers will be.

EDIT: might it be time to generate some good mojo and create a stand-alone Lot45 thread??  I can foresee many posts on the topic in the coming months/years.

Design will be upscale but nothing extraordinary like MOCAD.  The big news is the employers that are planning to locate within the development....

EDIT - definitely going to want a standalone thread for this development, plans are calling for it to be over $100 million

Look for a press release any day now on the final development plan for "Lot 45".  UCI put out an RFP last August I think for this parcel, 7 developers responded.  Shortlisted in December to two finalists and they've chosen a winner.  The project is going to be a huge attraction for the area, 12 story massing, sustainable design, includes office space, retail on ground floor, student housing, market rate apartments, large parking structure, connection to the new RTA stop and will totally change the pedestrian experience on Mayfield which is pretty miserable near the RR underpass to say the least.

This sounds great. Sounds like everyone agrees this needs it own thread. So here it is!

Interesting stats came out of the presentation last night on Lot 45 - something like 90% of the people who work in University Circle, live over 5 miles away and like 75% of that number rents rather than owns.  Based on that, strong demand for market rate apartments.  Also, considering the research facilities nearby at Case, the cultural institutions nearby, and the medical facilities nearby, there is a real shortage of office space also.  Huge shortage of parking for the area as well - analysis indicates this is the limiting factor for bars & restaurants in the area, not the kitchen capacity or dining room capacity - most weekends you can't even park your car yourself if you wanted, you have to valet, and even then, it's not enough capacity.

That's odd.  I always manage to find a place to park.

Same here.  I go to Sergios and L'Albatros pretty regularly for dinner or drinks and never once have had trouble finding a spot on the street.  I always laugh at the surburbanites who pay to valet.  Same thing happens in Ohio City.

I'll take a garage over a surface lot....

I probably ride my bike to LI more than I drive, but when I do drive, I've never had any trouble getting a spot in the lot where Coltman is..... it's something like $3 IIRC

This is going to be a lot of fun to talk about in the next few years.

I have expressed in the past that this was the project in UC I was most looking forward to and given the description by Gottaplan above it will not disappoint.

I hope I am not being too bold in stating that this maybe turning into the most important project in a very busy UC scene (even more so than the art museum expansion perhaps).  There are a number of reasons for that in my opinion. 

First it's location and connectivity potential (UC and Little Italy, and actually Cleveland Hts).  In fact, its bridging of UC and the hill at this point is the most important aspect of the project.  Also,the location next to the rapid makes it one of Cleveland's few true TOD and will only enhance this station. 

The mixed use component is also key which really is still rare in Cleveland (I mean, retail, housing, offices and parking all in one building more or least connected to the rapid and other RTA transit...it will be like a mini TC...even better because of the housing component). 

The parking garage is solely needed for Little Italy in my opinion.  I am the type who has no probably driving around forever looking for a parking space in LI but would prefer to just park in this garage and make a couple block walk to the restaurants. 

Obviously it will bring new residents to the area.  It will also help connect the CIA to Mayfield and to that south part of CWRU beyond.  Finally the massing (12 stories) and cost (over 100 mil) will make it the major project in UC for the near future even with everything else going on.

Finally let's not forget we are losing an ugly surface parking lot.

Now I am just going to keep my fingers cost in terms of design.  I have high hopes.

The developer last night made the comment that this was the most important piece of real estate in NE Ohio.  Pretty heavy words when you consider other places getting redeveloped currently like FEB, Medmart, etc. 

Regardless, they really see UCI developing as another totally unique downtown area, fully revitalized, centered around higher education, medical, research, technology, and culture.

The developer made the comment that this was the most important piece of real estate in NE Ohio.  Pretty heavy words when you consider other places getting redeveloped currently like FEB, Medmart, etc. 

Regardless, they really see UCI developing as another totally unique downtown area, fully revitalized, centered around higher education, medical, research, technology, and culture.

ahh yeah. bring it on!

can someone post developer links and other background info? i think there was a map?

Here's an older map from two pages which I stitched together and added labels.....

uptown-view-labels-s.jpg

Yes, with a few small changes, but overall same layout.  Image above shows parking structure as the tallest, but proposal I saw had the other buildings projecting a few floors above the deck, highest being 10-12 stories.  E. 117th disappears along the RR, Circle drive continues across Mayfield & wraps around the back to reconnect to E. 117th.  Courtyard in the center was much smaller, more like a lightwell.  Also included developing the lot across on south side of Mayfield in front of the existing parking structure, closing Mayfield in with buildings along this section.

These parking perceptions are always super frustrating for a million reasons.  I dream of a not-too-distant-future where there is enough of a built-in or urban-savvy customer base for UC businesses that the neighborhood planning doesn't have to focus so much on lowest common denominator parking perceptions.

Question for folks: are the existing UH garages already open to the general public, or just to UH workers and patients?  Are these garages generally sitting mostly empty on evenings and weekends?

I wonder if Lot 45 will hurt Uptown's phase 2. Maron has to act on options to buy the land by sometime in 2012. And i keep hearing that the rents still don't seem high enough to merit new construction for the heights called for in Uptown's second phase.

What do you mean, 3231?  The announced heights in Uptown's second phase weren't any higher than what's been built in the first phase, iirc?

What do you mean, 3231?  The announced heights in Uptown's second phase weren't any higher than what's been built in the first phase, iirc?

Nothing is set. It's just what I've picked up from conversations with people closer to the situation.

So do we have a confirmation on this project moving forward? I've not seen any press releases, news articles or renderings online yet.

^According to the very first line in this thread.....

Look for a press release any day now on the final development plan for "Lot 45". 

^According to the very first line in this thread.....

Look for a press release any day now on the final development plan for "Lot 45". 

Yes, but I'm impatient and news hungry. I want info NOW! bawling.gif

BTW, the text below in bold is the part I'm surprised and pleased to hear....

Yes, with a few small changes, but overall same layout.  Image above shows parking structure as the tallest, but proposal I saw had the other buildings projecting a few floors above the deck, highest being 10-12 stories.  E. 117th disappears along the RR, Circle drive continues across Mayfield & wraps around the back to reconnect to E. 117th.  Courtyard in the center was much smaller, more like a lightwell.  Also included developing the lot across on south side of Mayfield in front of the existing parking structure, closing Mayfield in with buildings along this section.

Regarding the parking: I had a chance to take a tour of UC with Chris Ronayne last week, and it was pretty impressive, if I do say so myself. He has some grand plans for expanding development into East Cleveland and Glenville. He sees UC as being a good neighbor by encouraging spinoff development in the surrounding neighborhoods

But he mentioned how many people that commute into UC complain of the limited parking. His response was they should take the bus, as he wants UC to be a dense walkable environment, where parking is not placed at a premium. His comment was that he doesn't want a single surface parking lot in UC. I thought that was pretty exciting to hear.

^Love hearing that.  Wish he would have a talk with the powers at the Cleveland Clinic who seem to be in the surface parking lot expansion business lately.

By the way, with all the details that Gottaplan has provided I notice that he did not indicate "which" developer won.  I have my fingers crossed that it is not Coral.

By the way, with all the details that Gottaplan has provided I notice that he did not indicate "which" developer won.  I have my fingers crossed that it is not Coral.

Why?

^^Except for the architect...  It's not like we need flashy starchitects for everything, but I find biolosky's stuff a bit meh.

But seriously, if that tenant roster is at all correct, just wow.  Thanks KJP for the digging!

I hope the sources gave me good info. I will be just as disappointed as you if they turn out to be untrue. But I got a tip and a second source confirmed it, so I felt comfortable enough to blog it.