Guest seicer

Cincinnati: Western Hills Viaduct

2 hours ago, thebillshark said:

Current Plan:

48072884736_5250f355fb_b.jpg

Plan I created this morning that would be significantly cheaper (using a single deck bridge vs. double deck), minimize demolition including the electric substation, make the interstate interchange usable for the West End as well as the West Side, and free up over 10 acres of urban core land along Central Parkway for development:

48072992697_ce3bb0f930_b.jpg

The Winchell on-ramp collects traffic from Bank, Findlay, and Liberty.  I think that they'd want that access maintained, although honestly, it doesn't appear to get anywhere close to the use that the wideness of Winchell insinuates. 

6 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

The Winchell on-ramp collects traffic from Bank, Findlay, and Liberty.  I think that they'd want that access maintained, although honestly, it doesn't appear to get anywhere close to the use that the wideness of Winchell insinuates. 

True, I used it all the time when I lived in OTR. But in my plan Winchell still exists but the on-ramp is simply moved one block north. I think that’s a good compromise in exchange for having a full highway interchange accessible for the West End there. 

www.cincinnatiideas.com

^Oh, I see that now. 

I'd like to see the traffic count for cars that travel across the viaduct and then up the McMillan St. hill.  It might be an amazingly low number.  I know that during off-peak hours it's a pretty sleepy intersection. 

34 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

^Oh, I see that now. 

I'd like to see the traffic count for cars that travel across the viaduct and then up the McMillan St. hill.  It might be an amazingly low number.  I know that during off-peak hours it's a pretty sleepy intersection. 

Right! How many millions are we spending on this design just to keep that part of the project. Could we avoid moving the substation (maybe ~$10 million) or avoid building a double decker Viaduct (maybe ~$100 million?) And how much would it actually slow a few people down to make a few turns to proceed on to McMillan? 1 or 2 minutes? It’s a cost that if it was actually transferred onto the drivers benefitting they could never pay it. Would “Uptown stakeholders” throw a fit?

www.cincinnatiideas.com

I saw a quote that not moving the substation would save 35million (which seems crazy) so they were going to wiggle more to the north to avoid it. Just what you need in your bridge, a 'wiggle'.

I thought after all the streetcar drama that it's on the utilities to move for road projects, but not rail projects.  Didn't Duke have to eat the cost of moving their substation next to Brent Spence? 

8 minutes ago, taestell said:

^ That probably only applies to utilities that are under the streets, not things like substations on privately owned land.

Recall that the appeals court ruling was that since the City built the streetcar for economic development purposes and not with regards to health, safety and welfare, the city had to pay. Looking at it again, it's appalling how ridiculous this ruling was.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/05/04/ohio-supreme-court-makes-ruling-on-duke.html

"At the appellate court level, the three justices unanimously affirmed then-Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Carl Stitch’s ruling. It said that the city’s construction of the streetcar “did not bear a substantial relation to the public’s health, safety, morals or general welfare” and instead was a proprietary function."

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche