Guest montecarloss

Cincinnati: Historic Photos

Looks like a Calder knock off

Speaking of which, there is either an authentic or imitation Calder mobile in the Christ Hospital Joint & Spine Center.  I wasn't there to check out the art so I didn't ask.  Nevertheless, it's kind of strange to see one (or an imitation) in a new building instead of in the atrium of an art museum. 

Looks like a Calder knock off

Speaking of which, there is either an authentic or imitation Calder mobile in the Christ Hospital Joint & Spine Center.  I wasn't there to check out the art so I didn't ask.  Nevertheless, it's kind of strange to see one (or an imitation) in a new building instead of in the atrium of an art museum. 

Yep, it's real:

https://www.archdaily.com/783542/the-christ-hospital-joint-and-spine-center-som/56e136bbe58ece8a1400001e-the-christ-hospital-joint-and-spine-center-som-photo

It's like, welcome to the rest of your life in a wheelchair.  Hope this mobile cheers you up. 

Holy crap. As a proud Clevelander who regrets the atrocities committed to my own city, I have to say that Cincinnati may win the unfortunate award of losing the most quality built environment of any of the 3 C's. I know it's been debated before on here, but this photo is...unbelievable.

The truly irreparable damage was where the street grid was lost, mainly from I-75 and west to the trainyards. That is never coming back. Even if it ever becomes something other than light industrial, it will still have a suburban-feeling streetscape. But I take solace in the fact that many other pockets of the city that suffered destruction still have their 19th century street layout, and could, in theory, be rebuilt on a human scale. It often doesn't happen that way, but at least it's a possibility. It's all you can do to keep from losing your mind looking at a photo like this and thinking we could still look like Philadelphia does, except our brick was painted bright colors and had flamboyant cornices.

I’ve heard some leaders ask what is our “brand” and where are we headed. To me it’s obvious what Cincinnati’s all consuming mission should be: a restoration of the city to something as it appears in these photos. Add population, add buildings that address the street, restore the street grid wherever possible. Reverse the damage and decay that occurred during the second half of the twentieth century. This is also the path back to national importance and prosperity.

www.cincinnatiideas.com

Ive heard some leaders ask what is our brand and where are we headed. To me its obvious what Cincinnatis all consuming mission should be: a restoration of the city to something as it appears in these photos. Add population, add buildings that address the street, restore the street grid wherever possible. Reverse the damage and decay that occurred during the second half of the twentieth century. This is also the path back to national importance and prosperity.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Cincinnati could have been the "historic" city for the Midwest.  Zane Miller's book describes how there was a sort-of effort in the late 40s and early 50s to do a preservation overlay for Over-the-Rhine similar to New Orleans' French Quarter, but obviously that didn't happen.  If they had managed to preserve it in amber, along with the immediate hillside streets, and kept the original streetcars running on a few of the streets + the Bellevue Incline + kept cobblestone in place, the city's place in the national consciousness would be quite different. 

I came across this Flickr page with some photos of Over-the-Rhine and the West End taken in the early part of this decade. While these particular photos may not be as "historic" as some others in this thread, you can tell how much the neighborhood has changed in the years since they were taken. He also shot these photos on film which makes them look even older.

8569024696_e2aaf67975_h.jpg

8558677761_546eb384ea_h.jpg

8609954112_2e69a9b142_h.jpg

8554724284_8854b916b4_h.jpg

8559039176_acd5c5b5c0_h.jpg

Really love these photos, thank you for sharing them.  So cool to see the progression of construction on the First National Bank building.  The Mercantile Library Building is nearing completion as the Bank Building is being erected.  As for the "newer" photos, my guess is they are around late 1978.  The Federated Department Stores Headquarters (Macy's)is well into its construction; It is at full height, and the exterior cladding is being applied.  At the same time we can see that Fountain Square South is under construction, but has yet to rise out of the foundation.  

Edited by cincity

d7e589a8-7048-4cd0-8c20-ebb87f452035-Aer

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I was doing some research on the building on Vine Street that now houses Jean-Robert's Table and Garfield Mini Mart. I found these older photos showing what were likely the original tenants.

W0000301.jpg

W0000319.jpg

W0000303.jpg

^^ I was in the Mini Marts "upper office" for a meeting once when my company was going to make some display fixtures for them and it felt like that office in "Being John Malkovitch" . I swear the ceiling height was like 5'10 or something. I was ducking.🤣

7 hours ago, taestell said:

I was doing some research on the building on Vine Street that now houses Jean-Robert's Table and Garfield Mini Mart. I found these older photos showing what were likely the original tenants.

W0000301.jpg

• Haha 1