Cincinnati: Historic Photos

Guest montecarloss

ColDayMan[/member] thanks for sharing these!

It's interesting that the first 1975 poster features a Cincinnati Stingers (former WHA almost NHL hockey team) player. There's also an Arby's balloon in the upper left corner. Was Arby's a really big deal in 75? If I recall correctly, one of the people involved with the Cincinnati Stiners (who also financed the Riverfront Coliseum) was also the first person to bring Arby's franchises to the city. Apparently fast food roast beef was a hit?

ColDayMan[/member] thanks for sharing these!

It's interesting that the first 1975 poster features a Cincinnati Stingers (former WHA almost NHL hockey team) player. There's also an Arby's balloon in the upper left corner. Was Arby's a really big deal in 75? If I recall correctly, one of the people involved with the Cincinnati Stiners (who also financed the Riverfront Coliseum) was also the first person to bring Arby's franchises to the city. Apparently fast food roast beef was a hit?

These types of posters are often supported by sponsorship deals, so Arby's was probably a paid sponsor. You can pick out a bunch of random business logos on here that are the same.

^Very cool. In that second one, why is "Kenner" on the "Kroger" building. Did Kenner ever have its headquarters there?

Yep that was the HQ after they moved (i think) from the building that was sadly torn down to make the Justice center. And they made a similar map!!

http://www.kennercollector.com/2015/03/kennercollector-com-fun-map-pays-tribute-to-cincinnatis-kenner-legacy/

^Very cool. In that second one, why is "Kenner" on the "Kroger" building. Did Kenner ever have its headquarters there?

Yep that was the HQ after they moved (i think) from the building that was sadly torn down to make the Justice center. And they made a similar map!!

http://www.kennercollector.com/2015/03/kennercollector-com-fun-map-pays-tribute-to-cincinnatis-kenner-legacy/

kenner-sycamore-mural-01.jpg

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest jmecklenborg

We had the 1982 poster in our basement.  I too remember spending a lot of time looking at it.

The mural on the side of that Kenner building is typical of the 1970s murals that were all a lot more creative than any of the recent artworks murals. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Everything has to be Drug-Free-looking today.

I have many times thought about trying to get something visible from I-75 just so I can paint something completely obnoxious on the side. 

Most of the artworks murals look like they were designed on Illustrator, because they were.  Before computer vector graphics, people would cut out a bunch of geometric shapes and play with them on a table.  You come up with a lot of child-like ideas that way and people respond to child-like whimsy.  Actually coming up with something on a computer is tough because the medium has tendencies to fall into patterns and look way too slick.  Plus, you aren't on your feet or listening to music cranked in the studio like how art making used to be. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Arby's was probably a paid sponsor

The poster contains not just any Arby's, but a Roast Beef Bunker-style Arby's!

The Calhoun St. Arby's across from Calhoun Hall had one of these. 

We had the 1982 poster in our basement.  I too remember spending a lot of time looking at it.

The mural on the side of that Kenner building is typical of the 1970s murals that were all a lot more creative than any of the recent artworks murals. 

Looks like a Calder knock off

Alexander-Calder.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is an amazing overhead from the 40s (I think) that can be zoomed in almost to the degree that modern-day Google maps can. It stretches from Clifton Heights (check out Nippert and St. George) down to the beginning of downtown. I have another that shows downtown that I can post. It also includes almost all of the lost West End, so be prepared to shed some tears.

edit: here's a direct link if people can't see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/57rhnyju4q4fpr5/cincinnati%20overhead%20west.jpg?dl=0

4441414292_0218eab7e7_o.jpg

• Like 1

Guest jmecklenborg

That photo is from sometime between 1935-1945.  Laurel Homes is up and in business but the Mt. Adams Incline is still there.  Look how the Pearl St. Market was being used for parking. 

This is an amazing overhead from the 40s (I think) that can be zoomed in almost to the degree that modern-day Google maps can. It stretches from Clifton Heights (check out Nippert and St. George) down to the beginning of downtown. I have another that shows downtown that I can post. It also includes almost all of the lost West End, so be prepared to shed some tears.

PM sent. Thanks.

I would assume the downtown photo is also April 29, 1949 like the OTR/West End photo.  While the Mt. Adams Incline was closed in 1948, they weren't necessarily in any hurry to demolish it.  The incline house itself lasted until at least 1954. 

I would assume the downtown photo is also April 29, 1949 like the OTR/West End photo.  While the Mt. Adams Incline was closed in 1948, they weren't necessarily in any hurry to demolish it.  The incline house itself lasted until at least 1954. 

Yeah, I think you're right... but the photos are taken several hours apart. The downtown photo shows shadows indicating it was taken in mid morning, while the OTR photo was taken later in the afternoon. Either the photos were taken on a long flight, or they were taken on separate flights.

If anyone ever wants to view a bunch of old aerials, use the following link.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Some are much better than others, but it's really useful for tracking things in cities where they were taken close together. Just be warned, switching from 1932 to 1955 to 1960 to 1968 in Downtown Cincy will be infuriating and depressing.

The unfortunate thing about the Historic Aerials 1932 series (beyond their excessive watermarking) is that they're very poorly scanned.  I believe it was some sort of UC/volunteer project a while back that didn't have the resources to scan them at a better resolution.  Anyway, I got to see some of the actual prints at the Hamilton County Park District office in Winton Woods a number of years back, and there's a ton more detail than you can see online, at least as good as the 1955 series.  The prints are also stereoscopic, so if you put a double image plate under some special viewing goggles (they're really just to hold your eyes and the photos at the right spot), you can see the terrain as well. 

Guest jmecklenborg

This is an amazing overhead from the 40s (I think)

It's a little chilling when you recognize that these aerial photos were taken with the same cameras that photographed the German and Japanese cities that we destroyed. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Speaking of which, there is either an authentic or imitation Calder mobile in the Christ Hospital Joint & Spine Center.  I wasn't there to check out the art so I didn't ask.  Nevertheless, it's kind of strange to see one (or an imitation) in a new building instead of in the atrium of an art museum. 

Guest jmecklenborg

Speaking of which, there is either an authentic or imitation Calder mobile in the Christ Hospital Joint & Spine Center.  I wasn't there to check out the art so I didn't ask.  Nevertheless, it's kind of strange to see one (or an imitation) in a new building instead of in the atrium of an art museum. 

Yep, it's real:

https://www.archdaily.com/783542/the-christ-hospital-joint-and-spine-center-som/56e136bbe58ece8a1400001e-the-christ-hospital-joint-and-spine-center-som-photo

It's like, welcome to the rest of your life in a wheelchair.  Hope this mobile cheers you up. 

Holy crap. As a proud Clevelander who regrets the atrocities committed to my own city, I have to say that Cincinnati may win the unfortunate award of losing the most quality built environment of any of the 3 C's. I know it's been debated before on here, but this photo is...unbelievable.

The truly irreparable damage was where the street grid was lost, mainly from I-75 and west to the trainyards. That is never coming back. Even if it ever becomes something other than light industrial, it will still have a suburban-feeling streetscape. But I take solace in the fact that many other pockets of the city that suffered destruction still have their 19th century street layout, and could, in theory, be rebuilt on a human scale. It often doesn't happen that way, but at least it's a possibility. It's all you can do to keep from losing your mind looking at a photo like this and thinking we could still look like Philadelphia does, except our brick was painted bright colors and had flamboyant cornices.

I’ve heard some leaders ask what is our “brand” and where are we headed. To me it’s obvious what Cincinnati’s all consuming mission should be: a restoration of the city to something as it appears in these photos. Add population, add buildings that address the street, restore the street grid wherever possible. Reverse the damage and decay that occurred during the second half of the twentieth century. This is also the path back to national importance and prosperity.

www.cincinnatiideas.com

Guest jmecklenborg

Ive heard some leaders ask what is our brand and where are we headed. To me its obvious what Cincinnatis all consuming mission should be: a restoration of the city to something as it appears in these photos. Add population, add buildings that address the street, restore the street grid wherever possible. Reverse the damage and decay that occurred during the second half of the twentieth century. This is also the path back to national importance and prosperity.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Cincinnati could have been the "historic" city for the Midwest.  Zane Miller's book describes how there was a sort-of effort in the late 40s and early 50s to do a preservation overlay for Over-the-Rhine similar to New Orleans' French Quarter, but obviously that didn't happen.  If they had managed to preserve it in amber, along with the immediate hillside streets, and kept the original streetcars running on a few of the streets + the Bellevue Incline + kept cobblestone in place, the city's place in the national consciousness would be quite different. 

• 1 month later...

I came across this Flickr page with some photos of Over-the-Rhine and the West End taken in the early part of this decade. While these particular photos may not be as "historic" as some others in this thread, you can tell how much the neighborhood has changed in the years since they were taken. He also shot these photos on film which makes them look even older.

8569024696_e2aaf67975_h.jpg

8558677761_546eb384ea_h.jpg

8609954112_2e69a9b142_h.jpg

8554724284_8854b916b4_h.jpg

8559039176_acd5c5b5c0_h.jpg

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Really love these photos, thank you for sharing them.  So cool to see the progression of construction on the First National Bank building.  The Mercantile Library Building is nearing completion as the Bank Building is being erected.  As for the "newer" photos, my guess is they are around late 1978.  The Federated Department Stores Headquarters (Macy's)is well into its construction; It is at full height, and the exterior cladding is being applied.  At the same time we can see that Fountain Square South is under construction, but has yet to rise out of the foundation.  

Edited by cincity

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

^^ I was in the Mini Marts "upper office" for a meeting once when my company was going to make some display fixtures for them and it felt like that office in "Being John Malkovitch" . I swear the ceiling height was like 5'10 or something. I was ducking.?

7 hours ago, taestell said:

I was doing some research on the building on Vine Street that now houses Jean-Robert's Table and Garfield Mini Mart. I found these older photos showing what were likely the original tenants.

W0000301.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, edward said:

Those are nearly all photos from the Library of Congress that were restored/enhanced by Shorpy, and then his watermark was blatantly cloned out.  

Compare the bottom right: 

https://www.bygonely.com/bg_item/central-union-station-cincinnati-ohio-circa-1905/

https://www.shorpy.com/node/9142 

8 minutes ago, jjakucyk said:

Those are nearly all photos from the Library of Congress that were restored/enhanced by Shorpy, and then his watermark was blatantly cloned out.  

Compare the bottom right: 

https://www.bygonely.com/bg_item/central-union-station-cincinnati-ohio-circa-1905/

https://www.shorpy.com/node/9142 

Edward was just a spammy account used to post links to get people to visit for ad revenue.  IP addresses were from Brooklyn, Toronto, Pakistan and Oregon. I've flagged the account as spam.