Sign in to follow this  
Guest TBideon

In The World: Syria

Syrian's want to live in Syria, not the US anyway.

Syrians, like all human beings, want to live in safety IN SYRIA.

Meanwhile, in Damascus they're dancing in the streets, waving Assad’s portrait, and cheering that Trump has failed.

Fixed it

Trump says mission accomplished.  We know what that means.  The mission was to get his criminal conspiracy out of the media.  What's good is that Mueller isn't distracted.

I guess he's learned a lot from Bill Clinton. That should make you happy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/welcome-to-wag-the-dog-three-1086640.html

"Ever since, when in trouble, the President has used force (or so many cruise missiles that we're about to run out of them). Some cynics refer to this latest round in Kosovo as Wag the Dog Three. One was the bombing of a Sudanese drugstore to save the world from the demon Bin Laden just prior to Monica Lewinsky's testimony before the grand jury. Two was the missile attack on Iraq just prior to the impeachment vote. Three, critics say, has the double appeal of eradicating Monica from the public mind and of putting the fact that the Chinese have stolen our nuclear secrets on the back pages."

Reaction from the D's depending on what Trump (and allies would have done):

Done nothing - Trump is in cahoots with Putin, letting Russia do what they want.

Bombed military bases, maximizing collateral damage - Trump is a warmonger

Target chemical making infrastructure - It was nothing, didn't kill enough people

Now back to important things like Trump having sex with a woman 10 years ago...

Good to see Trump not messing around with silly red lines in Syria, the US, UK, and France just sent a strong message to both Assad and Putin.  Like I said, the next guy is cleaning up another Obama mess.

President Tantrum gave them plenty of warning and it's already been reported that there was little actual damage.  Really strong message.

Obama's Syria policy:

1. Draw red line

2. Watch Russia, Iran, and Syria cross red line

3. Cower

About time someone, anyone do something in Syria other than bring in a few thousand refugees when millions are getting displaced.  Syrian's want to live in Syria, not the US anyway.

Remember when Trump supporters were claiming they couldn't vote for Hillary because she was just a war-monger?  Yeah, it continues to be truly incredible seeing you guys stand for literally nothing. 

Trump says mission accomplished.  We know what that means.  The mission was to get his criminal conspiracy out of the media.  What's good is that Mueller isn't distracted.

I guess he's learned a lot from Bill Clinton. That should make you happy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/welcome-to-wag-the-dog-three-1086640.html

"Ever since, when in trouble, the President has used force (or so many cruise missiles that we're about to run out of them). Some cynics refer to this latest round in Kosovo as Wag the Dog Three. One was the bombing of a Sudanese drugstore to save the world from the demon Bin Laden just prior to Monica Lewinsky's testimony before the grand jury. Two was the missile attack on Iraq just prior to the impeachment vote. Three, critics say, has the double appeal of eradicating Monica from the public mind and of putting the fact that the Chinese have stolen our nuclear secrets on the back pages."

More Clinton whataboutism.  When you reach a million references to 20 years ago, do you win a prize?  Or is it that you just can't talk about the actions of someone you voted for?  You know what they call people who can't own up to their mistakes.

You know what they call people who can't own up to their mistakes.

Democrats?

Oooh, sick burn.  I saw that one coming about as well as Assad saw Tantrum's bombs.  Any other cutting edge material you have saved up there, EV?  Any chance you're going to address Trump's hypocrisy on Syria vs. Obama?  Any thoughts on why Trump basically told them what he was going to do?  Any opinion on the wisdom of escalating conflict with a nuclear power?  Any chance you're ever going to tackle a single direct question posed to you?  Any original thoughts whatsoever?

Syrian's want to live in Syria, not the US anyway.

Syrians, like all human beings, want to live in safety IN SYRIA.

Meanwhile, in Damascus they're dancing in the streets, waving Assad’s portrait, and cheering that Trump has failed.

Fixed it

I didn't realize that you had met all Syrians.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Russia now says that they are considering Arming Syria with S-300 missile systems to help shoot down planes and incoming missiles.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

From the Pentagon briefing today, there were 105 missiles launched at Syria last night:

12 by the French

8  by the British

85  by the USA including 66 Tomahawks at $1.87 million each. 

Remember when Trump said he was going to have allies contribute more of a fair share?  Well the US taxpayers spent WAY more than anyone else last night.

Here's an interesting article about the logistics of the attack. It seems most eyes were focused on a group of warships in the Mediterranean, but the bulk of the attack was launched from ships, subs, and planes (including B-1 bombers) from multiple different directions. The article also mentions that none of the missiles were shot down or otherwise failed to reach their targets, despite the Russian troll/bot propaganda claiming most of the missiles were shot down. The Syrian's didn't manage to get any anti-aircraft missiles launched until after every missile had already hit.

Warship Ruse and New Stealth Missiles: How the U.S. and Allies Attacked Syria

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-14/warship-ruse-and-new-stealth-missiles-how-they-attacked-syria

From the article Ram23 just posted:

"As the strategy of how to respond took shape, Trump appeared to telegraph his intentions to the world with a tweet on April 11: “Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and ‘smart!”’

Analysts suggested Assad’s regime would respond to Trump’s threats by protectively moving weapons and personnel away from likely targets. An already difficult battle plan -- which required hitting Assad without provoking Russian reprisals or injecting the U.S. further into Syria’s seven-year civil war -- was getting harder."

Here's an interesting article about the logistics of the attack. It seems most eyes were focused on a group of warships in the Mediterranean, but the bulk of the attack was launched from ships, subs, and planes (including B-1 bombers) from multiple different directions. The article also mentions that none of the missiles were shot down or otherwise failed to reach their targets, despite the Russian troll/bot propaganda claiming most of the missiles were shot down. The Syrian's didn't manage to get any anti-aircraft missiles launched until after every missile had already hit.

Warship Ruse and New Stealth Missiles: How the U.S. and Allies Attacked Syria

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-14/warship-ruse-and-new-stealth-missiles-how-they-attacked-syria

Now you believe there are Russian Trolls?  You normally bite on everything they spew.

I miss this thoughtful man....

What is your explanation for the widespread reporting that the strikes did pretty much zero damage to anything and were essentially completely worthless?  Did Trump accidentally miss everything of consequence?  If that's what you're going with, how is that good leadership? 

Well, even Secretary Mattis noted that we were in coordination with Russians on the ground before the strikes.

Probably a necessary evil to avoid larger military conflicts, however, it also allowed a lot of time for Syrians to adjust as well. Further, the Administration's credibility got a little bruised when we claimed that no missiles had been shot down, but there was footage of two being shot down.

I disagree with your last point.  This administration has no credibility.  There was nothing to bruise.

Both sides are just using the Syrians for target practice at this point.  That might weigh on our moral obligation to take some of them in.

Well, even Secretary Mattis noted that we were in coordination with Russians on the ground before the strikes.

Probably a necessary evil to avoid larger military conflicts, however, it also allowed a lot of time for Syrians to adjust as well. Further, the Administration's credibility got a little bruised when we claimed that no missiles had been shot down, but there was footage of two being shot down.

What footage? I was aware of the images of 2 missiles being launched - this is the latest piece I've read - don't tell me Popular Mechanics is fake news now, I've always liked them!

Syria Fired Only 2 Missiles Against Allied Strikes - Neither hit its target

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a19864941/syria-fired-only-2-missiles-against-allied-strikes/

Despite several days of warning and Russian claims otherwise, Syrian air defenses launched only two missiles during strikes by the United States, United Kingdom, and France to destroy the country’s chemical weapons capability. Both missiles missed the incoming cruise missiles. Syrian forces fired several dozen other missiles after the strikes were over when there was nothing left to hit.

What is your explanation for the widespread reporting that the strikes did pretty much zero damage to anything and were essentially completely worthless?  Did Trump accidentally miss everything of consequence?  If that's what you're going with, how is that good leadership? 

You're getting into crazy conspiracy theory territory now. For the attacks to have been worthless, the military forces of three different countries would have to be fabricating stories. Hundreds, if not thousands of people from those three countries would be involved. And you're basing this all on a few claims that the attacks did nothing - claims made by Russia, a country that you have claimed is constantly perpetuating fake news, lies, rumors, trolls, etc. in order to undermine America.

So it's important to note that this video has not been verified by a human rights organization, only the Syrian government.

However, the date and time have been confirmed to match the times in which we  were striking Syria. https://www.defensenews.com/video/2018/04/14/syria-posts-video-it-says-shows-it-shooting-down-us-missiles/

Beyond that, I wouldn't put it past Assad to fire his own missiles just to shoot them down

[quote author=YABO713 link=topic=26694.msg908649#msg908649 date=1524245096

You're getting into crazy conspiracy theory territory now. For the attacks to have been worthless, the military forces of three different countries would have to be fabricating stories. Hundreds, if not thousands of people from those three countries would be involved. And you're basing this all on a few claims that the attacks did nothing - claims made by Russia, a country that you have claimed is constantly perpetuating fake news, lies, rumors, trolls, etc. in order to undermine America.

So wait, aren't you and Trump saying that Russia is our friend and has done nothing wrong against us?  Now you're telling me they can't be trusted (even though I didn't get any information from their outlets)?  So which is it... are they friends or adversaries?  And shouldn't you maybe drop the Hillary conspiracies like Uranium One before telling other people they're falling for propaganda, Ram? 

strange that syria gets so much u.s. involvement and attention, yet mexico doesn’t. is there even a thread here on uo about it? i wonder why that is?

America's money and appetite for drugs is a primary cause for the murder rate in Mexico:

"According to official Mexican records, there were 25,339 murders in the country in 2017, with more 50 percent of them drug-related. The numbers, per capita, place the country in the top ten most murderous in the world."

It's more than doublely worse than war torn Syria -

10,204 Civilians Killed In Syria In 2017

http://www.iamsyria.org/death-tolls.html

Amnesty to expand probe of US-led campaign in Syria's Raqqa

https://www.apnews.com/2c36f50343904984a65a5d9de296e9a7

You and Trump did this.