Jump to content
KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Tower City / CityBlock Development

Recommended Posts

Not to get off on a political tangent, but a climate-denying libertarian is a bit of an oxymoron. If they’re a climate denier, then they’re completely ignoring externalities that impact the rights of others—and thus not a true libertarian. 
 

Back to CityBlock itself, I understand that the original intent had private CityBlock only space, but if it’s a public-private partnership, I sure hope they keep more of it public. 
 

I can understand (even if I don’t like) creating private spaces in a fully privately funded space—but a partial-publicly financed train station should have at least 50% public area. At least keep the atrium, food court, and “prospect park/retail” open!

Edited by Clevecane
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Clevecane said:

Not to get off on a political tangent, but a climate-denying libertarian is a bit of an oxymoron. If they’re a climate denier, then they’re completely ignoring externalities that impact the rights of others—and thus not a true libertarian. 
 

Back to CityBlock itself, I understand that the original intent had private CityBlock only space, but if it’s a public-private partnership, I sure hope they keep more of it public. 
 

I can understand (even if I don’t like) creating private spaces in a fully privately funded space—but a partial-publicly financed train station should have at least 50% public area. At least keep the atrium, food court, and “prospect park/retail” open!

There will be plenty of PUBLIC SPACES.

Because IF they try to keep it mostly PRIVATE/MEMBER ONLY areas than how would they get the large number of CONSUMERS they need to puchase items in the new and retained retailers and restaurants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Larry1962 said:

It will be a combination of blockchain tech, general tech, all types of startups, and hopefully anchor tenants made up of large corporations.  And it will include nonprofits and public agencies that will support the new startups.

 

And along Prospect Avenue there is planned key retailers and I believe also some retail will be inside the New CITYBLOCK/TOWER CITY.

 

And it will provide startups with subsidized rents that is affordable.

 

 

I know T-Mobile has been committed totheir space and plan on staying.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I know T-Mobile has been committed totheir space and plan on staying.

Oh wow look we already have an anchor tech company 😂

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start-up business news. https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cleveland/cleveland-blockland-solutions-conference/95-54c49533-5a07-49b6-9ead-b7fd1fd03c4c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cle_guy90 said:

 

Someone help me understand this. Does this mark a second change of direction? Like it went from blockchain to tech (including startups) and now is going mostly to startups with subsidized rents meaning the big tech companies will likely have no presence here?

I must admit, you do have a point here.

1. Bitcoin hub, then

2. New high-tech incubator, with major industry investors.

3. Now we have a T-Mobile/Sprint store as an anchor tenant for a communal workspace, with subsidized rents?

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I must admit, you do have a point here.

1. Bitcoin hub, then

2. New high-tech incubator, with major industry investors.

3. Now we have a T-Mobile/Sprint store as an anchor tenant for a communal workspace?

Agreed...

tenor.gif?itemid=9018594

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like the whole dream of Cleveland being a blockchain hub has died.  Even the conference for next year will only be two days (versus 4 days) and focus on more than just blockchain including artificial intelligence and other disruptive technologies.

 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/technology/blockland-solutions-2020-will-be-shorter-and-focus-more-broadly-emerging-technologies

  • Confused 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cle_guy90 said:

It seems like the whole dream of Cleveland being a blockchain hub has died.  Even the conference for next year will only be two days (versus 4 days) and focus on more than just blockchain including artificial intelligence and other disruptive technologies.

 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/technology/blockland-solutions-2020-will-be-shorter-and-focus-more-broadly-emerging-technologies

Can't say I'm surprised in the slightest. There was no way that blockchain would provide the amount of companies that this Blockland thing was implying. Most of the proposed uses of blockchain can be done much easier and better with established technology. VotEm going under was a warning signal. This is just my opinion based on technology. While I'd love to see more tech in Cleveland, it just cannot be done the way that they were pitching it. So now there's going to be a walk-back.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

Can't say I'm surprised in the slightest. There was no way that blockchain would provide the amount of companies that this Blockland thing was implying. Most of the proposed uses of blockchain can be done much easier and better with established technology. VotEm going under was a warning signal. This is just my opinion based on technology. While I'd love to see more tech in Cleveland, it just cannot be done the way that they were pitching it. So now there's going to be a walk-back.

 

My brother-in-law owns a custom programming shop and is sold on Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and writing task specific "bots". He feels that block chain is basically a storage technique that may or may not solve some security problems. The report that Ohio BMV is looking into block chain is good news for Mr. Moreno, however - or maybe a sign he knows how to lobby Columbus.

 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/ohio-bmv-poised-be-states-springboard-blockchain-technology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dougal said:

 

My brother-in-law owns a custom programming shop and is sold on Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and writing task specific "bots". He feels that block chain is basically a storage technique that may or may not solve some security problems. The report that Ohio BMV is looking into block chain is good news for Mr. Moreno, however - or maybe a sign he knows how to lobby Columbus.

 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/ohio-bmv-poised-be-states-springboard-blockchain-technology

That's basically how I see it as well. But the compute costs are much larger than just using a database, and it hasn't been proven that it solves security problems better than existing technology.

 

Bitcoin has some reason to exist due to it being completely decentralized, but many proposed applications would not be decentralized, or they could be, but they'd be worse if they were.

 

I don't really understand the value of the BMV using it for this purpose. I could be wrong, but it seems to just be the new shiny thing.

 

Sorry to the mods if we got off topic with the technology discussion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Bedrock have made a public commitment to this project without more than a vague notion of an unproven concept to go on? I know Bernie had money and a lofty ideal—but I’d hope BedRock is more strategic and long-term than just “let’s rekindle our investment through public subsidies and hope it pans out.”

 

Even if they’re hoping to sell at some point, setting the place up to fail wouldn’t do well for its valuation. 
 

Doesn’t there have to be more to this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I am glad that this fantasy is dying. Now we can invest and  focus on technologies where we actually have a local advantage.  Much of that is incomprehensible to the general public and isn't "sexy" like something they read about in the newspaper (like the hyperloop fantasy).  But, material science, deep space propulsion, computer displays and industrial robots, medical imaging, etc. are areas where we have huge local advantages.  Let's invest in those.

 

A train station is a good place for retail.

The retail went under in like 15 years. A train station, atleast in Cleveland, is not a good place for retail. Especially when rapid ridership continues to dwindle and suburbanites in this region want automobile catered suburban retail. At this point just turn Tower City back to a full on train station. If there was actual demand for tower city, changes wouldn't be taking this long to be made.

  • Dislike 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

The retail went under in like 15 years. A train station, atleast in Cleveland, is not a good place for retail. Especially when rapid ridership continues to dwindle and suburbanites in this region want automobile catered suburban retail. At this point just turn Tower City back to a full on train station. If there was actual demand for tower city, changes wouldn't be taking this long to be made.

Suburbanites in AMERICA want automobile catered retail. This isn't an NEO thing... - especially when cities like Indianapolis or Columbus (and dozens more major cities) aren't lucky enough to have any kind of local passenger rail of any kind, anywhere.

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^I know that several years ago Google Health was considering a location in Uptown section of University Circle that never happened per a KJP posting on November 13 in this thread.

 

The more recent Google project?

 

marty15 posted on November 12 in the FirstEnergy Stadium renovations thread:

 

"I’ll say this if I haven’t before, Alphabet/Google was/is working directly with Vocon. My source said it was their largest project undertaking in company history. All related to CityBlock. I know this is the wrong thread, but just continuing the euphoric speculation here. I haven’t been allowed to know anymore since that convo."

Edited by Larry1962
More details
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If CityBlock is going forward as indicated by Bernie Moreno there are undoubtedly deep pockets involved.  This wouldn’t be built in the hopes that if you build it they will come.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 2:20 AM, Sapper Daddy said:

If CityBlock is going forward as indicated by Bernie Moreno there are undoubtedly deep pockets involved.  This wouldn’t be built in the hopes that if you build it they will come.

 

Agreed, but hopefully Bernie Moreno and Dan Gilbert aren't the only deep pockets.😂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why, but Tower City Center seemed to be unusually busy during today's lunch hour. And it looked like there was also a group of people touring the property, primarily Asian people. Is this related to the first phase of the Cityblock development? If so, I hope so!

 

Tower City 010320-7.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-6.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-5.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-4.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-3.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-2.jpg

 

Tower City 010320-1.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still a beautiful venue. Several years ago, I was staying at the RC and the Mall provided such easy pass-through access to PS and Euclid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put this here because cityblock is mentioned in the article...

 

This list goes to 11 — and because it does, it includes Cleveland

 

Quote

A recent study by MIT professors Jonathan Gruber and Simon Johnson found that Cleveland ranked sixth out of 102 cities that could be considered "the next great technology hub." Coming soon: Blockland Cleveland, a $150 million technology incubator in downtown Cleveland spearheaded by local businessman Bernie Moreno. Another likely investor is Bedrock Detroit, a real estate firm led by Detroit native (and Cleveland Cavaliers owner) Dan Gilbert.

 

https://www.crainscleveland.com/scott-suttell-blog/list-goes-11-and-because-it-does-it-includes-cleveland

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, there's a rumor going around that all of the first-floor retailers, including the food court, will close at the end of the month. But I asked several of the first-floor retailers earlier today about the rumor and they all said that only American Greetings was closing soon.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't likely be closing until after... wait, let me check something...

 

March 25 - April 5

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, musky said:

They won't likely be closing until after... wait, let me check something...

 

March 25 - April 5

 

AKA the Cleveland International Film Festival

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, musky said:

They won't likely be closing until after... wait, let me check something...

 

March 25 - April 5


Is this fact or speculation (I.e., are you confirming that the food court (along with everything else) will close April 6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Clevecane said:


Is this fact or speculation (I.e., are you confirming that the food court (along with everything else) will close April 6?

 

 

No, no.... and, no.

I said "likely" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Clevecane said:


Is this fact or speculation (I.e., are you confirming that the food court (along with everything else) will close April 6?

 

Only one of the retailers I spoke with at Tower City said they were closing -- American Greetings. No one has been told that they must close down.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to check, but sure enough, the title of this thread is "Tower City/CityBlock Development", not "Bitching about Panhandlers."

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...