Cygnus

Cincinnati: Mayor John Cranley

Cranley-Lite at most, he's less manipulative (I think...) and more of a poll watcher. But he does try to be a "pleaser" like how Cranley does with groups he targets outside of the core voters as important. Like Cranley and suburban voters and West Siders, Pete targets the big donors.

Buttigieg does the exact same strategy Cranley does which is trying to be a Republican lite in the hope of getting non existant moderate GOP people to join the dems. 

Though I guess what he did in south bend was slightly better from an urbanist policy perspective - though his relationship with the African American community gives me echos of Cincinnati in 2001.  Its that bad.

I don't know why you revived this conversation after months of inactivity, but I think your allegations about Buttigieg are really off. Not being extremely far left (ie. Not Bernie Sanders) doesn't mean Republican. You're never going to be happy with a nominee with that attitude, and I just hope you're willing to vote for any one of the current candidates who wins this nomination. I feel like too many people are stuck in an echo chamber with people exactly with their mindset. It's unhealthy IMO, and one reason I've stopped caring about Twitter's freak out of the day.

He's proposing some really good ideas that are far more progressive than nearly any Democratic president in history. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. 

Like his great policies towards endless wars right.   Good stuff, very progressive.  Lets model our security state after Isreal where people have very little rights and are presumed guilty until proven innocent, great policy that gave us the TSA etc.   Also If I was channeling the hard left I'd be saying a lot of BS about landlords - I'm not there, I just really don't like Buttigieg.

Edited by neilworms

On 1/16/2020 at 12:17 AM, ryanlammi said:

I don't know why you revived this conversation after months of inactivity, but I think your allegations about Buttigieg are really off. Not being extremely far left (ie. Not Bernie Sanders) doesn't mean Republican. You're never going to be happy with a nominee with that attitude, and I just hope you're willing to vote for any one of the current candidates who wins this nomination. I feel like too many people are stuck in an echo chamber with people exactly with their mindset. It's unhealthy IMO, and one reason I've stopped caring about Twitter's freak out of the day.

He's proposing some really good ideas that are far more progressive than nearly any Democratic president in history. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. 

Exactly. The four Democrats who are likely to win the nomination are all left of Obama. But the far left is vilifying Warren because she used to be a Republican, or vilifying Buttigieg because he doesn't support throwing our entire existing health insurance system system into the garbage and switching to single payer overnight (even though he has stated that he supports getting to single payer eventually).

Cranley's and Buttigieg's politics are nothing alike. Cranley is an actual Republican who calls himself a Democrat so he can win in a majority-Democrat city. He has never taken a single policy position that has upset Republicans. On the other hand, Buttigieg is a progressive/left Democrat who is simply not quite as far left as Warren or Sanders. Whether Cranley and Buttigieg are both pretending to be from "folksy backgrounds" ... whatever, I don't care, that's how politics works.

Just now, jmecklenborg said:

Cranley may have promised a light there, but there is no real need. in an 1/8 mile stretch from that business to Fairbanks (delhi Pike) there are already two lights close together, on a road with no lights for a while after and before. Three lights in a row there would be crazy, and the Speedway across the street seems to be good and they didn't even get a turn lane.

More on that...

Mayor Cranley eyes run for governor

cranleyjohn2017*1024xx600-337-0-219.jpg

Mayor John Cranley is getting an early start running for his next public office.

In a brief statement, the two-term mayor said Friday he is exploring a run for Ohio governor in 2022, presumably against incumbent Republican Mike DeWine.

"For years, Ohio’s middle class has been shrinking under the weight of the state’s failed policies,” Cranley said. “Cincinnati’s comeback, population and job growth that buck Ohio’s overall track record is a better way forward.”

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/14/mayor-cranley-eyes-run-for-governor.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

On 1/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, SleepyLeroy said:

These guys used to be buddies back in their 'terrin' down historic crap' days. Sad to see they have had a falling out.  😪http://buildingcincinnati.blogspot.com/2008/08/centerpiece-of-historic-sedamsville.html

Tore down that beautiful church that served as a landmark. Harbor Lights never got off the ground. Really no winners in any of that mess......

On 2/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, BigDipper 80 said:

I suspect most of the state is gonna say “...who?”

It's hard for Cincinnati politicians who act like nothing outside of the 275 loop exists to go on and run for statewide office. It's especially hard for politicians like Cranley who use the classic technique of "behave like a Republican but label yourself a Democrat" to win in Cincinnati, given that this technique is not going to work statewide.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, BigDipper 80 said:

I suspect most of the state is gonna say “...who?”

I'm not so sure. Certainly name ID will be a problem in Northeast Ohio, but that can be overcome with a good campaign. I have friends in Dayton in Cbus who are pretty familiar with him though. Some Republicans I know who live in Clermont County told me they'd vote for him over DeWine, which kinda shocked me. I also have an uncle who lives in Adams County who is a die hard GOPer (and Trumper) who always speaks highly of him and has said he'd vote for him in a statewide election. For some reason Republicans love him. 

He ran a "Back to basics" style campaign in 2013. People to the right love fiscal responsibility (pension, credit rating), police and fire (Police and fire raises of 2016), basic services ($65 million borrowed for CAP road resurfacing) and opposition to "wasteful boondoggles" (Streetcar, parking plan). Not to mention his well earned "bully" governing style and personality.

The only reason he has been slightly more supportive of progressive issues (2-way streets, community solar, bus levy but with roads!) is because he did not have to tack so far right to defeat Yvette in 2017 (thanks Children's Hospital zoning debacle.)

Expect those top themes to be what he runs on for Governor in addition to his work in starting the Ohio Innocence Project. 

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

28 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

For some reason Republicans love him. 

I believe the head of the Hamilton County GOP already tweeted out that Cranley is not qualified to hold higher office, or something like that. They held their nose and let him win the Mayor's race because they preferred him to Yvette/Roxanne, but they don't want him as governor.

1 hour ago, JYP said:

Expect those top themes to be what he runs on for Governor in addition to his work in starting the Ohio Innocence Project. 

He claims that he started it but I have been told by people who were there that he didn't do any of the work.  He showed up at the last minute and got his name put on it.  

22 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

The rest of the state doesn't give a crap that he went to St. X whereas in Cincinnati that's important. 

John attended St. William's grade school and St. Xavier for high school, where his long term commitment to public service emerged. John served as a tutor in Winton Place Schools, as a big buddy at the Espy Boys Club in Lower Price Hill, as a volunteer at St. John's Social Services Center in Over-the-Rhine, and as a participant on a summer mission trip with Jesuit priests to the Dominican Republic. Upon graduating from St. Xavier High School, he was awarded the Jesuit Secondary Education Association Award for demonstrating the ideals of leadership and service.

Your parents had to pay $2,000+ for you to go on those trips.  I worked two jobs all summer - I worked all 90~ days of summer break, two years in a row.  Do I get to put that on my bio when I'm mayor?  

31 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Your parents had to pay $2,000+ for you to go on those trips.  I worked two jobs all summer - I worked all 90~ days of summer break, two years in a row.  Do I get to put that on my bio when I'm mayor?  

I got to go on one and didn't pay a dime. Our parish paid for it. 

1 hour ago, taestell said:

I believe the head of the Hamilton County GOP already tweeted out that Cranley is not qualified to hold higher office, or something like that. They held their nose and let him win the Mayor's race because they preferred him to Yvette/Roxanne, but they don't want him as governor.

Of course the party isn't going to support him. I'm talking about rank and file Republican voters. My uncle in Adams County doesn't care what the state GOP thinks.

1 hour ago, GCrites80s said:

The rest of the state doesn't give a crap that he went to St. X whereas in Cincinnati that's important. 

I think running a Democratic candidate statewide from the Cincinnati area is a good strategy. You're already going to get a lot of votes from Cleveland and Columbus. If you can turn out Dems in Hamilton County and hold down the GOP margins in Greater Cincinnati then I think there is a path to victory there. 

6 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

I got to go on one and didn't pay a dime. Our parish paid for it. 

I went to St. X.  There were no grants or anything like that at the time.  The trips were *really* expensive, except for the Over-the-Rhine "trip".  Then, after the rich kids got back from their trip, they had this ridiculous candlelit vigil we all had to attend where the guys read from their journals.  This was at least once and maybe twice each year, so I might have gone to eight of these things.  One time this guy named Matt Deville tripped over the power chord to the stereo and the music cut out at what was to be the most contemplative moment.  

I've hated Cranley since I was 13 years old.  At freshman orientation, we were told about how great John Cranley '92 was.  Like, he was The Ultimate Jesuit Warrior!!!!.  I remember thinking I bet whoever this John Cranley character is I bet he's a total kiss-up piece of sh*t.  And my 13 year-old self was completely right in that assumption.