Guest grasscat

Kent / Kent State University: Development and News

Kent, KSU consider rec center collaboration

By Diane Smith / Reporter

Posted Dec 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM Updated Dec 16, 2017 at 4:57 PM

As Kent Parks and Recreation weighs its options in the wake of the recent failure of a bond issue, Kent State University is offering the possibility of working collaboratively with the city — perhaps under the same roof.

City Manager David Ruller said KSU President Beverly Warren recently visited Kent City Council and pointed out that KSU is looking at possibly expanding its recreational offerings in its master plan.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20171216/kent-ksu-consider-rec-center-collaboration

March 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Kent State reveals details of 10-year, $1 billion facilities plan

By RACHEL ABBEY MCCAFFERTY

The idea of reinventing higher education for the next generation is a familiar one, but Kent State University is taking it beyond pedagogy and onto the campus itself.

Kent State's board of trustees on Wednesday, March 7, approved the university's $1 billion facilities master plan, which will dramatically change the university's campus.

President Beverly J. Warren emphasized in a meeting with news media how Kent State's strategic road map, approved in 2015, served as an "anchor" for the university's ambitious facilities master plan. The plan would drastically change the look of campus, adding a central entryway, an "innovation hub" and more green space to encourage walking and to direct traffic off-campus. The estimated total cost of the first phase of the project is about $220.8 million.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180307/news/154146/kent-state-reveals-details-10-year-1-billion-facilities-plan

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

There's so much more they could be doing like getting their Engineering programs accredited... Think about it, these past years they've tried to recruit me to join their "Unaccredited" engineering programs. As soon as I got the letters and took a visit and heard that, it was an immediate turnoff. However I do think there is a lack of connectivity between campus and dorm, The recently built Tri-Tower Rotunda which houses Leebrick Hall and others is actually quite far from their classes. Something funny I think would be to lease Golf Carts to students just to get to class just based on the walk needed.

Spent a lot of time in the old business administration building in the 1980s. I wish this article would say where on East Main Street it would be but I assume it would be on the parking lots near the Small Group.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

This building will be the first phase of the revamped / extended front campus.  Entrances at Terrace and Midway are going to be combined into a single entrance.  Parking lot in front of White hall turns into green space.  This building will be East of White hall facing Main street.  A parking deck is part of the first phase also, across the new single entrance drive from the new Business building.

Spent a lot of time in the old business administration building in the 1980s. I wish this article would say where on East Main Street it would be but I assume it would be on the parking lots near the Small Group.

It was in the article you posted above.

Here is a link to current day view and the rendering from the same view. Existing Moulton Hall on the right foreground will remain.

https://goo.gl/maps/HtHwDfJAZF82

iDJaaCMl.jpg

Kent State University giving equal weight to design and money in choice of business college developer (photos, video)

Updated Apr 17, 4:31 PM; Posted Apr 17, 4:20 PM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

KENT, Ohio - The competition to design and build a new, $72.9 million College of Business Administration building for Kent State University has come down to four finalist teams that include some of the world's leading architecture firms.

All of the competitors have proposed buildings with distinctive shapes and facades, plus central, sky-lighted atriums, grand staircases, and digital panels displaying stock prices.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/04/kent_state_university_to_give.html#incart_river_index

Dedication set for KSU’s May 4 site as National Historic Landmark

Posted Apr 30, 2018 at 10:19 AM Updated Apr 30, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Kent State University will formally recognize the May 4 site on campus as a National Historic Landmark during a dedication ceremony Friday.

The site represents the location of the historic events of May 4, 1970, where the Ohio National Guard shot and killed four students and wounded nine others.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180430/dedication-set-for-ksus-may-4-site-as-national-historic-landmark

Haven't see this posted before. Under construction now.

Living/Learning Community hosts groundbreaking

Posted Dec 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM Updated Dec 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM

The Presbyterian Church of Kent recently was the site of a groundbreaking ceremony. Kent city officials, Kent State University representatives, and members and friends of the congregation gathered at 1456 E. Summit St., to celebrate commencement of a planned Student Housing community on the church grounds, which have been surrounded by KSU and Greek Village in recent years.

The planned structure is a five-story complex with 384 beds arranged in suites for 384 residents with lower level parking, and an outdoor study courtyard. Other amenities include a business center, exercise facilities, club room, and outdoor pool. A separate space for church ministry is located within the building as well. The building will be sited on the west side of church property.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20171212/livinglearning-community-hosts-groundbreaking

Yikes...

http://www.theprestonpartnership.com/project/the-residences-1456-e-summit-st/

Wow, I was going to skip over reading about that project. But I thought as a former KSU student I should at least check it out. Glad I did.

Five stories with 384 beds and amenities is a big development!

I drive by this every day and it is really a tight fit on the site.  I've been anxiously awaiting a rendering, and now I must say it's very disappointing.  More bland and cheap-looking than I would've imagined.  Not that student housing is a very high bar, but other recent complexes in Kent are much better than this.

I drive by this every day and it is really a tight fit on the site.  I've been anxiously awaiting a rendering, and now I must say it's very disappointing.  More bland and cheap-looking than I would've imagined.  Not that student housing is a very high bar, but other recent complexes in Kent are much better than this.

Yes, easily the worst project in a decade in Kent. And that includes the Alumni Center.

I don't think it's that bad for the low-density environment where it's being built.

Kent State University trustees approve $44.9 million Design Innovation Hub, dining facility

Updated Jun 6, 8:10 PM; Posted Jun 6, 5:19 PM

By Emily Bamforth, cleveland.com

ebamforthCleveland[/member].com

KENT, Ohio -- Kent State University trustees on Wednesday approved a $44.9 million project to overhaul the former School of Art building into a "Design Innovation Hub" and dining hall.

The 24-hour building will include 3D printers, workspaces where students can collaborate on projects, as well a dining hall to seat 350 people.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/06/kent_state_trustees_approve_ne.html

Six-story building gets OK in Kent

By Diane Smith Reporter

Posted Sep 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM

A six-story apartment building in downtown Kent, which was called "ghastly" last month by members of the city's architectural review board, got the panel's approval Tuesday.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180904/six-story-building-gets-ok-in-kent?template=ampart

Six-story building gets OK in Kent

By Diane Smith Reporter

Posted Sep 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM

A six-story apartment building in downtown Kent, which was called "ghastly" last month by members of the city's architectural review board, got the panel's approval Tuesday.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180904/six-story-building-gets-ok-in-kent?template=ampart

And if there were commuter trains to Akron (or Cleveland) on the Akron Metro RTA tracks across the street, one might actually consider this Transit Oriented Development!

The old BW's location. Spent some time in there.

BW3 was before my time in Kent. Besides there wasn't much south of Erie Street in the 1980s anyway, except an old commercial district.

Didn't the same architect try to use dark brick on the new project in Ohio City which ended up being changed?

Yes.

The old BW's location. Spent some time in there.

BW3 was before my time in Kent. Besides there wasn't much south of Erie Street in the 1980s anyway, except an old commercial district.

Useless fact, the guys who started BW3's met at Kent State. But it was not where the first location was opened. That was OSU.

Ah, I couldn't tell without a strategically placed colon or dash. And I say that because my father was a strict English teacher before he became a real estate broker. :)

Akron's Signet Real Estate Group to lead $3.2 million design phase for Kent State's College of Business Administration

Updated Sep 14; Posted Sep 14

By Jennifer Conn, Akron reporter, cleveland.com

AKRON, Ohio - Akron-based Signet Real Estate Group has been hired to lead the design phase for Kent State University's College of Business Administration, which is the centerpiece of the school's $1.2 billion Gateway Plan.

The $3.2 million design phase of the business building, planned to anchor Kent's front campus, will include the main gateway to Kent State, green space and a new parking deck. The work will begin immediately and be completed by next summer, the university reported in a news release.

https://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2018/09/akrons_signet_real_estate_grou.html#incart_river_index

September 23, 2018 04:00 AM

Old mill's towering silos present development challenge in Kent

JUDY STRINGER

When Mike Mistur and Ryan Brannon opened their artisan coffee shop on North Water Street in 2011, the Bent Tree Coffee Roasters partners took Sundays off, because business "was so slow in Kent" on weekends, according to Mistur.

Flash forward seven years — and $150 million in downtown redevelopment — and Kent is a very different place.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/old-mills-towering-silos-present-development-challenge-kent

Barrio to open location in downtown Kent this summer

Jorden Shevel

Apr 16, 2019 Updated 17 hrs ago

Barrio is bringing its signature tacos, tequila and whiskey to downtown Kent this summer.

The Northeast Ohio taco joint will move into the building at 295 S. Water Street that previously housed The Newdle Bar. In a press release, Barrio said they will fit well into the Kent business community because of their similar values such as community, family, friends and supporting local art.

http://www.kentwired.com/latest_updates/article_3111e65e-607d-11e9-b1b5-374d1cb83dfa.html

Kent State selling 270 acres, including golf course

By BOB GAETJENS Reporter

Posted May 26, 2019 at 12:01 AM

As part of its recent master plan, Kent State University is selling a little more than 270 acres of property worth about $6.3 million, including a large portion of the former KSU Golf Course at the corner of Power Mill Road and Route 59.

Connie Hawke, associate vice president for compliance, risk management and real estate for the university, said KSU identified the properties it wants to sell during its facilities master planning process.

https://www.record-courier.com/news/20190526/kent-state-selling-270-acres-including-golf-course

Am I the only one that thinks spending $1.2 billion for new buildings is a lot of money for a school of this size? 

That is more $$ than the endowments of probably 90% of the universities in this country.

Is it a real number?

On 5/28/2019 at 10:00 PM, Terdolph said:

Am I the only one that thinks spending $1.2 billion for new buildings is a lot of money for a school of this size? 

That is more $$ than the endowments of probably 90% of the universities in this country.

Is it a real number?

Need to see what the numbers are that total to that $1.2 billion. The business school is $72 million. The parking deck is $23 million and is not using any state funding. So you have $100 million right there.

New Hawthorn Suites hotel proposed in Kent

A former industrial site used originally as a hotel or tenement for canal workers in Kent may soon come “full circle,” according to Mike Sichenzia, project manager for Nypano Co. LLC.

https://www.record-courier.com/news/20190701/new-hawthorn-suites-hotel-proposed-in-kent

Star of the West Mill bought by local developers

One of Kent’s most distinctive properties — the old Star of the West Mill — was sold on June 26, according to the Portage County Auditor’s property records. 

The .83-acre property, which includes the towering grain silos that help define Kent’s skyline, sold to The Tulips LLC for $405,000 last week. 

https://www.record-courier.com/news/20190703/star-of-west-mill-bought-by-local-developers

• Like 1