RiverViewer

NFL: General News & Discussion

4 hours ago, skiwest said:

And eliminate the "bye" week.

I don't see that happening--the players like it to let their bodies get a break. 

I actually wouldn't mind shortening the preseason to 2 games, and adding in an extra bye if they think it will help. 

It irks me when there is no game on a beautiful Sunday in October or November, but then they are playing in a snowstorm in late December. As far as giving their bodies a break, then they should eliminate Thursday night games. That is.much worse playing again with only three days off.

55 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

I actually wouldn't mind shortening the preseason to 2 games, and adding in an extra bye if they think it will help. 

Right. As long as preseason games are starters playing one drive or simply 4th string showcase, those "games" are pretty worthless.

The preseason in every other sport makes sense, but NFL teams are so worried about injuries - and perhaps rightly so - they would rather start the actual season games looking like garbage. 

Edited by surfohio

If I were the NFL, I would cut two preseason games from the schedule. They should add one regular season game to the schedule, and they should give each team two total byes. This would keep the players playing for the same number of weeks, would give them an extra week of rest in the middle of the season, and it would give the NFL two extra weeks of advertising revenue. It would also eliminate the issue today of teams getting rather useless byes in week 5. They would now get two byes to spread out so players get rest. And any time a team played on a Thursday, they should get the previous week off as a bye. Any team that plays on a Monday should get the next week off as a bye.

• Like 3

NFL CBA approved: What players get in new deal, how expanded playoffs and schedule will work

NFL players voted to approve a proposed new collective bargaining agreement with the league's owners, ensuring NFL labor peace through at least 2030.  The vote was tight, with 1,019 "yes" votes and 959 "no" votes.

The new CBA will expand the NFL's playoff field by two teams starting with the 2020 season and allow owners the option to expand the regular season from 16 games to 17 games as early as 2021.

MORE:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28901832/nfl-cba-approved-players-get-new-deal-how-expanded-playoffs-schedule-work

3 minutes ago, Columbo said:

OK, so the coronavirus is raging thru the world and vast parts of the U.S. economy are shutting down.  But can we talk about today's really big news?

Tom Brady says goodbye to Patriots on social media:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28915341/tom-brady-says-goodbye-patriots-social-media

It's getting interesting out there! Rivers to Colts, Bridgewater possibly to Panthers. Cam Newton out of a job. Who is the Pats QB in 2020? 

I think Brady should land in Tampa. If he wants to end his career in concussion protocol he could go to the Chargers. 

if you ever wondered what the story is with the rams/chargers moves and stadium marriage espn has it covered below.

beware its one of those long novel length articles with more than you want to know, but since we are stuck indoors thats probably a good thing at the moment.

my take is while he got a stunningly great deal i still just cant understand spanos logic — and also kroenke and the league are going to get hammered by a vengeful st. louis:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles

if anyone has thoughts about the current los angeles football situation i’d be interested to hear it.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

i figured. that will be a strange draft in however they conduct it, but a very welcome distraction.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, skiwest said:

But will the NFL be playing this year?

If there is a second or third wave it may not...we really don't know at this time. I hope they get to play though.

Have never really liked the Thursday draft, but I'm definitely o.k. with it this year! 

Going to be hearing, "Ohio" quite a bit Thurs night! Burrow, Brownies, Bengals, and Buckeyes! 

This reads like an Onion story - but apparently the Pats have traded Gronk to the Bucs for a 4th-round pick(!)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29078406/patriots-trade-rob-gronkowski-buccaneers-4th-round-pick

Technically, they traded the final year of Gronk's contract to the Bucs, since he "retired" from football 13 months ago.  But if he actually plays next season, the Gronk and Brady are back together in Tampa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Columbo said:

This reads like an Onion story - but apparently the Pats have traded Gronk to the Bucs for a 4th-round pick(!)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29078406/patriots-trade-rob-gronkowski-buccaneers-4th-round-pick

Technically, they traded the final year of Gronk's contract to the Bucs, since he "retired" from football 13 months ago.  But if he actually plays next season, the Gronk and Brady are back together in Tampa.

Can't wait to see them go 8-8 !  I thought gronk was supposed to be in WWE... oh well...

DRAFT DAY!!!!!!!!

To a sports-starved nation, the NFL Draft was better than nothing.  Although it wasn't that much better.  Mostly because it just dragged on and on.  The first round started at 8PM and didn't finish until after midnight:

It also didn't help that most of early draft picks were less than enthusiastic after being picked:

• Haha 1

But there were some entertaining moments.  Such as looking at the home arrangements of the team HC's and GM's.  My personal choices for best and worst home arrangements:

Worst:  New York Giants

Best:  Dallas Cowboys (well, Jerry Jones anyway)

• Haha 2

And although we missed out on seeing the suits on the draft stage - we still got some interesting fashion choices tonight.

Worst Outfit:

Best Outfit:

And since it looks like no one is going to post in the Bengals thread - even after they got the #1 overall pick in last night's draft:

EWVCG-jXgAcieRU?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Columbo said:

NFL Announces Record-Setting TV Ratings For The 2020 Draft:

Well, it helps that we have no where else to go.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I watched the first pick just to see it live if the Bengals decided to trade away the #1 in a surprise move, even though it was all but certain they would select him. As soon as they selected Burrow I switched it off. 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, mrnyc said:

rip don shula, age 90 — great ohioan and one of the greatest coaches, if not thee greatest coach, ever.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/04/don-shula-hall-of-fame-dolphins-coach-dead-at-90/

and an alumnus of my high school...(curiously omitted from this and the NY Times obit! hmmmph.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

yeow! check out the brown’s joe thomas on titan games, the rock’s show. he pulled a cc sabathia in retirement and slimmed way down into fighting shape:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/27/ex-nfler-joe-thomas-unrecognizable-on-nbcs-titan-games/

Except as an NFL lineman, carrying extra pounds is part of the job assignment.