NFL: General News & Discussion

RiverViewer

Guest jmecklenborg

I read a 1950s book on stock investing that talked about how every year on Wall St. some golden boy appears who makes 2-3 miraculous stock picks by age 30, becomes a much sought-after investment advisor, and then promptly loses a lot of money for a lot of people.  20 years later he has yet to make another miraculous pick. 

If you want to go to the playoffs a bunch of times, and thereby have a chance of getting to the superbowl, you need to stay healthy.  With the exception of the Matt Cassell year, Brady has done that.  I don't think he was even touched last night.  It only takes one CHANCE(?) event to end a super bowl run and almost end a career. 

So you're saying Tom Brady and New England have been "lucky" by building around a solid offensive line?  Instead of luck, it sounds more like a franchise that knows how to properly construct a roster by having a good line protect your most valuable asset.

• Like 1

Now this is game....

• Haha 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

the game basically sucked.  Very little offense.  Goff was terrible.  Tony Romo was pointing out his missed reads constantly.  Hardly any action from Todd Gurley.  I wouldn't call it a dominant defensive performance either.  I just don't think we had the two best teams in the Super Bowl this year.  Chiefs vs Saints could've been amazing

• Like 1

Brady/Bellicheck have taken the game to a new level but they are a system.  Make the read/adjust the play/hit the open man.  Brady doesn't make exciting plays the way Patrick Mahomes or a dozen other QB's do.  That's why he always has these "system" type receivers like Edelman or Wes Welker who just find soft spot in the zone & settle down.  I don't think he's had a truly exciting WR since Randy Moss.

13 hours ago, mrnyc said:

super bore so far. haha well, ok its actually a tight game for a change.

Last year it was 41-33 with some lead changes and came down to the final play.

The year before it was an OT win after the Patriots came back from 28-3.

The year before was...meh, Manning riding a dominant defensive performance into the sunset.

The year before that was the interception at the goal line after the Seahawks decided not to run Marshawn Lynch for...reasons.  Also featured a Pats comeback down 24-14 in the 4th quarter.

So 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls have "tight games."  Even 7 of the last 9 have been tight games (within 10 points at final score).

Very Stable Genius

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Last year it was 41-33 with some lead changes and came down to the final play.

The year before it was an OT win after the Patriots came back from 28-3.

The year before was...meh, Manning riding a dominant defensive performance into the sunset.

The year before that was the interception at the goal line after the Seahawks decided not to run Marshawn Lynch for...reasons.  Also featured a Pats comeback down 24-14 in the 4th quarter.

So 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls have "tight games."  Even 7 of the last 9 have been tight games (within 10 points at final score).

haha ok, but you had to look that up. that's how much anyone pays attention. i even forgot who played played last year until they mentioned it. at least the dishes are washed and the house is clean.

14 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

haha ok, but you had to look that up. that's how much anyone pays attention. i even forgot who played played last year until they mentioned it. at least the dishes are washed and the house is clean.

Well, basically every Super Bowl New England plays in is a nail biter, down to the final few minutes.  And I know they've played in a bunch recently.

Very Stable Genius

^ ahh i see.

hmm, now i wonder what does that mean?

either we can all keep hope alive that they can be beat...or the fix is in?

ha.

but seriously, i am not happy with sports book gambling being allowed in all states. i mean the ruling is fair and all, but that gambler influence will ruin sports eventually, if it hasn't already. that's another issue, but it comes to mind with the pats dominance. although rationalizations and excuses aside, really they obviously are the best team and organization, if not the most exciting. pains me to say that.

• 3 weeks later...

Gee, I'm so surprised....  NOT

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^ Amy Siskind is a good example of what's wrong with social media. At first glance at her post, one would think Kraft was actively involved in some sort of human trafficking operation, whereas in reality he just allegedly got caught getting a happy ending at a massage parlor.

14 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

^ Amy Siskind is a good example of what's wrong with social media. At first glance at her post, one would think Kraft was actively involved in some sort of human trafficking operation, whereas in reality he just allegedly got caught getting a happy ending at a massage parlor.

But getting a "happy ending" supports human trafficking.  That's how it works. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, freefourur said:

But getting a "happy ending" supports human trafficking.  That's how it works. 

And buying drugs supports the drug trade. In both of these examples, however, the average person scoring on the street isn't the real problem. 

Anyways, getting back to my point - that Tweet made it seem like Kraft was some sort of kingpin, which would have been a wild story. I had to go read the article to see that he was charged with a misdemeanor for solicitation. Yawn. At least he didn't pay with a personal check.

31 minutes ago, freefourur said:

There are reports that Kraft is not the biggest name involved.  This should be interesting.

Should we play the speculation game for fun?

My first initial thought was Trump, but then I cant see that given the secret service protection he has had the last 3 years, would not be able to do that. So I am going with Brady.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, Ram23 said:

And buying drugs supports the drug trade. In both of these examples, however, the average person scoring on the street isn't the real problem. 

Anyways, getting back to my point - that Tweet made it seem like Kraft was some sort of kingpin, which would have been a wild story. I had to go read the article to see that he was charged with a misdemeanor for solicitation. Yawn. At least he didn't pay with a personal check.

actually johns and drug users are also the real problem. thats why those trades exist. the whole cycle is the real problem. come on you know this. defending kraft, a john who supports human trafficing, is more of a personal problem though.

• 4 weeks later...

NFL to celebrate Dayton’s milestone role in game’s history

historical-marker-dayton-site-of-first-g

Did you know the first National Football League game was played right here in Dayton? Indeed, on Oct. 3, 1920 the Dayton Triangles defeated the Columbus Panhandles 14-0 at Triangle Park in Dayton. The game featured the first touchdown ever scored, as well as the first extra point.

As it commemorates its 100th anniversary, the NFL is holding events and investing dollars in the Miami Valley, as well as eight other “Original Towns” that previously had pro teams.

The “Original Towns” outside of the 32 current NFL markets will host live telecasts in their hometowns to announce picks on Day 3 of the 2019 NFL Draft.

In addition to Dayton, the towns include Akron, Canton, and Columbus, Ohio; Hammond, Indiana; Muncie, Indiana; Rochester, New York; and Rock Island, Illinois.

The hometown celebrations in these markets will showcase the town’s history alongside fans, NFL legends, celebrities and elected officials. 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2019/03/26/nfl-to-celebrate-dayton-s-milestone-role-in-game-s.html

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 1 month later...

• Like 3

Source:  Cleveland has been awarded the 2021 NFL Draft

As my #SaveTheCrew comrades used to say "Big if true!".  The NFL Draft is a huge event that just keeps getting bigger - as was seen with the multi-day outdoor event that was held in Nashville this year.

^ i read 600k visitors in nashville for the nfl draft, so that is a very big deal to land it.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, ColDayMan said:

NFL to celebrate Dayton’s milestone role in game’s history

historical-marker-dayton-site-of-first-g

Did you know the first National Football League game was played right here in Dayton? Indeed, on Oct. 3, 1920 the Dayton Triangles defeated the Columbus Panhandles 14-0 at Triangle Park in Dayton. The game featured the first touchdown ever scored, as well as the first extra point.

As it commemorates its 100th anniversary, the NFL is holding events and investing dollars in the Miami Valley, as well as eight other “Original Towns” that previously had pro teams.

The “Original Towns” outside of the 32 current NFL markets will host live telecasts in their hometowns to announce picks on Day 3 of the 2019 NFL Draft.

In addition to Dayton, the towns include Akron, Canton, and Columbus, Ohio; Hammond, Indiana; Muncie, Indiana; Rochester, New York; and Rock Island, Illinois.

The hometown celebrations in these markets will showcase the town’s history alongside fans, NFL legends, celebrities and elected officials. 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2019/03/26/nfl-to-celebrate-dayton-s-milestone-role-in-game-s.html

more interesting trivia -- the dayton triangles moved to brooklyn in 1930 and moving further on down the line they are known today as ... the indianapolis colts:

http://www.captainsblog.info/2010/12/27/snows-of-december-evoke-memories-of-the-new-york-football-yankees/4421/

spacer.png

Edited by mrnyc

Governor DeWine, Lt. Governor Husted Statements on NFL Draft in Cleveland

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
May 22, 2019

3:53 PM

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Ohio Governor Mike DeWine issued the following the National Football League's announcement that the NFL Draft will be held in Cleveland in 2021:

"Ohio is the birthplace of professional football and the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I applaud the NFL's decision to hold the NFL Draft in Cleveland and give the Cleveland Browns and all of Ohio the opportunity to spotlight Ohio's professional football history and passionate fans.

"In hosting the MLB All-Star Game this July, the NFL Draft in 2021, and the NBA All-Star Game in 2022, three of the country's biggest professional sports leagues have each decided to showcase all that Cleveland has to offer, and I could not agree more."

Ohio Lt. Governor Jon Husted issued the following statement: 

"Cleveland is a great choice for the NFL Draft. It has some of the best NFL fans in the nation and is right up the road from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. You can see the history of the NFL and the future of the NFL all in one day." 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Gramarye said:

Always good to check your sources ...

image.thumb.png.9147ed3c1c21465053b74806514e9ccc.png

As good a place as any to post that you know you are in surreal world when the President of the United States sounds like a late 90s Browns fan posting online.

• 4 weeks later...

Stunning! Things are looking up for:

+ Cleveland Browns

+ Colin Kaepernick

• 2 weeks later...

Big trades are a rarity in the NFL compared to the other Big Four pro leagues in the U.S.  But the Houston Texans made two big trades over the weekend just before Week 1 of the new season:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27506624/source-texans-trade-clowney-seahawks -- First they traded hold-out pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for a 2020 3rd-round pick, LB Jacob Martin, and LB Barkevious Mingo (former Browns 2013 1st-round, 6th-overall pick who is now on his fifth NFL team).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27509345/source-texans-complete-deal-tunsil-stills -- Then the Texans acquired standout left tackle Laremy Tunsil plus wide receiver Kenny Stills from Miami.  But they gave up their 2020 1st-round pick, 2021 1st-round pick and 2021 2nd-round pick to make the deal.  Tunsil should vastly improve a Texans o-line that gave up 62 sacks last season.  Giving up Tunsil and Stills will help Miami 'Tank-for-Tua' this season.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, Mendo said:

Mingo was clearly the center piece of that trade.

Say what you want about Barkevious, but he has one of the coolest names in the NFL. 

Also, I've been around a lot of pro athletes.  But one time I was on the field for the Browns pregame and Mingo is a freak of nature.  He looked like a robot warrior in his uniform! 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:39 PM, Columbo said:

^ And remember that this is an NFL franchise that is in a lame duck season with their current fans and has a head coach in the 2nd year of a 10-year contract(!!!!)

The Oakland Los Angeles Oakland (Las Vegas) Raiders are a sh!tsh0w!

I stand by my previous statement.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27559625/exhausted-everything