East Cleveland: Development and News

Guest mrclifton88

I did hear that 60% of the first phase is already leased...the majority of which are University Circle employees ...and even that was a couple weeks ago, so may be nearly sold out.

Some more good news-- ALL of the units are already rented out, and because of this, phase 2 is in demand.

Great stuff, I'm excited for east Cleveland

I did hear that 60% of the first phase is already leased...the majority of which are University Circle employees ...and even that was a couple weeks ago, so may be nearly sold out.

Some more good news-- ALL of the units are already rented out, and because of this, phase 2 is in demand.

Great stuff, I'm excited for east Cleveland

:clap:  best news of the day!  Thanks for the great update.

It seems seeds are being planted.

• 2 months later...

Was at an even this evening discussing the growth taking place in the Greater University Circle area. Ari Maron, Joe Calabreese, Chris Ronayne President of UCI were all in attendance. Looks like there is real developer interest in redeveloping East Cleveland from UC all the way to Superior Avenue. The people that work for UCI are proud of the fact that no new parking was built for the Courtyard Hotel, MOCA or the Uptown buildings. No new info other than that. Posted some pics of the inside of the new apartments in the UARD thread.

^Is that the east side of Cleveland between UC and Superior or the city of East Cleveland?  East Cleveland begins at E. 125 north Lake View Cemetery so I'm a bit confused as to the scope of the area being talked about.

Specifically this is the NE corner of Euclid Avenue and Lakeview Road, diagonally from the Marathon station at that intersection...so it's just inside the EC border.

^Is that the east side of Cleveland between UC and Superior or the city of East Cleveland?  East Cleveland begins at E. 125 north Lake View Cemetery so I'm a bit confused as to the scope of the area being talked about.

Specifically this is the NE corner of Euclid Avenue and Lakeview Road, diagonally from the Marathon station at that intersection...so it's just inside the EC border.

I live in the townhomes at this corner and have been waitin to hear something like this. Looks like taking the plunge to move to East Cleveland might eventually pay off! Hopefully! :clap:

So I just wanted to throw this random update out there on CircleEast Townhomes, since I now live here.

The place itself is really great and the neighbors in the neighborhood are very nice as well...  It would all be perfect if only... The property were finished!

The construction company is currently fighting with the fence company so both are refusing to finish the project... The fence and gate are sitting incomplete. The bigger joke is the East Cleveland-hired gardening company. These guys have tried planting grass three times and show up once a week to water things-- in the afternoon sun?

East Cleveland Cable is also the biggest train wreck of all time. 

Just wanted to share my venting update about how things are suddenly not going so well with the townhomes that were guaranteed finished by June 1. That's all!

Well, that explains the many satellite dishes on people's homes, including some pretty run-down buildings along the Red Line!

Thanks for the updates. Keep us posted.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I could not agree more.  they used to own the old observatory off of taylor road, they trashed it.

There is a ton of history in that little town.

is uverse offered there?

East Cleveland has a contract with ECC and it's the only option we have. The townhomes do not allow residents to get dishes and uverse is not available. So I'm basically out of luck. We have had them out 5 times- very unprofessional and the DVR stops working daily.

They announced that the 20 units are done and leased, but this was not the case. I believe 1/2 units are actually sitting incomplete with the construction company not touching. There are also 1/2 others that the tenant backed out, so there are still some occupancies.  It also concerns me when the fence, in this area, and the gate are not complete and the property is wide open for anyone to enter-- though nothing has happened and life has been pleasant here so far, it hasn't stopped many EC residents from pulling through and creepily staring. I would just prefer  the property be finished before residents move in.

I'll keep you updated on the status of phase 2. 

East Cleveland has a contract with ECC and it's the only option we have.

As a general rule, limited options equal sucky product. Thanks government!

But really, things like net access will absolutely hinder growth. So it's in EC's best interest to remedy this asap.

Make some noise about it, including writing a short letter to the PD. A writer could say something like "we were considering buying one of the new CircleEast Townhomes in East Cleveland, but they only offer East Cleveland Cable. No competitors are allowed, including no satellite. ECC service is so bad that we're looking for a new home elsewhere."

Feel free to use that!

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I lived on Taylor and Euclid until last September and I too had ECC as it was the only thing offered on my street. Interestingly, my mother lives up the hill, still within East Cleveland city limits and she has u-verse. Her neighbor has ECC. So there are some options up the hill but down the hill, I guess ECC just has a strangle hold. :(

To the contrary, in the year that I had ECC, I never had one problem with them, at my location. I still wouldn't choose them if I had a choice though.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what may be going on with this building on Euclid, across from Circle East Townhomes? It has been empty and ugly for quite some time and the past week there have been a few guys tearing out the plastic in the windows and it seems like they're putting windows in. Was hoping somebody knew where to find info on this, being an East Cleveland property. I'm really hoping the development is continuing east down Euclid.

10209052175_cdb5a90049.jpg

IMG_7473 by cle618, on Flickr

This property is for sale or lease, according to this listing on Loopnet....

http://www.loopnet.com/Property-Record/12550-Euclid-Avenue-East-Cleveland-OH-44112/SmL2dP_9A/

Says:

Property is currently under renovation and ready for tenant build-out. Indoor parking is available.

Most of the listing information is visible only to subscribers, unfortunately.

Cuyahoga County property records for this parcel show the current owner is:

PARCEL ID: 672-14-001

OWNERS NAME: LINCOLN PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, L

ADDRESS: 12550 EUCLID AVE

CITY: EAST CLEVELAND

ZIP: 44106

Its tax mailing address is:

LINCOLN PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, LLC, 403 LOWELL DR, HIGHLAND HTS, OH 44143

Past owners:

2002-2011 -- Wade Park Properties, Ltd.

1976-2002 -- Mickey'S Enterprises Inc

Until 1976 -- Economy Buick Co

• 4 months later...

Anyone know who is behind the solar farm on Euclid between the Free Clinic and Lakeview? On the one hand, it's nice to see an alternative energy installation, and it's better than a parking lot, but at the same time it's sad to see a good chunk of Euclid so close to University Circle being relegated to this type of use...

Anyone know who is behind the solar farm on Euclid between the Free Clinic and Lakeview? On the one hand, it's nice to see an alternative energy installation, and it's better than a parking lot, but at the same time it's sad to see a good chunk of Euclid so close to University Circle being relegated to this type of use...

The Medical Center Company (MCCo), a non-profit that conserves and consolidates energy distribution to other non-profits in University Circle, is behind the solar farm. MCCo was open to alternative uses on the site that incorporated their solar farm, but I don't believe there were any other willing partners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding that stretch of 1920s apartment houses along Superior Road in East Cleveland and Cleveland Heights, does anyone know if the current, funded project includes demolition of several buildings that are still standing but vacant and shabby?  Or is last year's project to demolish some finished and there's still a chance of rehabilitation for all that remain?  I was thinking all the vacant buildings would go but am actually glad to think some may still be renovated - horrible as some look.

^I would hope that MOST find some type of new use someday, instead of being demoed.  East Cleveland's street wall along Euclid- including both large historic homes and street level mixed-use buildings is relatively intact (unlike Hayden, Woodworth, etc.).  It's unfortunate that many of the 4 suite apartment buildings on the side streets along Euclid are either beyond repair, or have been demolished already. 

I've been telling myself that I have to post some photos of EC- there's some great stretches of intact residential neighborhoods left in the city, along with the decay that everyone is familiar with.

There's a stretch of Euclid, between Lakeview and Superior, that has a surprising number of the "original" buildings, but almost all of them are shabby.  Such a shame, such potential.  I always fear many of them could disappear at any time.  :-( This stretch could be considered to have once looked much like some of the blocks were on Euclid between East 55th and around East 101st.  Virtually every side street looks bad.  Some were always ordinary, and some obviously fancier.  For example, the first few streets between Euclid and Forest Hill always had "workingman" houses, but then the five or so closest to Superior had the grander houses; a few of the latter streets are still not too bad.  Beyond Superior same thing - there are some streets between Euclid and Terrace filled with houses and, in some cases, small apartment buildings, that look wretched (broken, boarded-up windows; crooked porches; missing columns; etc.), interspersed with vacant lots.  The streets built with the larger and more interesting houses, including some with houses from the 1920s and later, pretty much all look pretty bad, with an occasional house that looks well maintained and hasn't been ruined with bad remuddling  :oops:  At the time of the Kirk Middle School controversy Rosemont Road was looking really nice - one of the most attractive, well maintained streets in EC (lots of fine architecture with original features, well cared for lawns and gardens), outside Forest Hill and Oakhill - but now it's about as bad as any of them.  What a loss....  :-(

I hate to say it, but every time I drive near or through the Superior Triangle, I become more firmly entrenched in the camp that would love to see 95% of it demolished and re-developed.  I have to believe that with its location not too far up Mayfield Road from University Circle, and the thriving Coventry retail district directly to the south, that it could be a prime location for multi-use development of retail, condos, etc.

I hate to say it, but every time I drive near or through the Superior Triangle, I become more firmly entrenched in the camp that would love to see 95% of it demolished and re-developed.  I have to believe that with its location not too far up Mayfield Road from University Circle, and the thriving Coventry retail district directly to the south, that it could be a prime location for multi-use development of retail, condos, etc.

I think either new $300,000 single family homes, townhouses, and/or a mix of apartments and condos would do amazing there. Not only would it pump money into both cities, it would add a new life to Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland and would increase activity in Coventry and along Mayfield. Both cities could use new construction housing projects and this is the perfect location.

I agree. The housing stock is not in the best and is not in great shape either. I think either new $300,000 single family homes, townhouses, and/or a mix of apartments and condos would do amazing there. Not only would it pump money into both cities, it would add a new life to Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland and would increase activity in Coventry and along Mayfield. Both cities could use new construction housing projects and this is the perfect location.

And it would be addition by subtraction in other ways, particularly for Cleveland Heights.

I think that's way too extreme.  However, it's sort of an all or nothing sort of thing; it would be difficult for the expensive housing to be successful with bad housing nearby though (though East 118th seems to be doing fine, with very ordinary houses in between the new projects). The East Cleveland part looks far worse than the Cleveland Heights, as we all know, even though for many decades both sides were very much the same.  I really wish there were a way to pump funding into the triangle for a lot of renovation (hopefully, tastefully) with the existing doubles, and then fill-in with new doubles or singles or whatever in the more expensive range.  Those who have been maintaining their properties decently should be allowed to remain.  Yes, the location should be hot.

Kirk Middle School controversy: It was a beautiful, Georgian Revival building of 1930 - refreshingly elegant and stylish for East Cleveland - many felt shouldn't be demolished. Same architect as that for a somewhat similar high school in a town in Virginia where it's one of the most revered buildings in the community.  Many claimed it had to do with the way the state funding worked and the rules were changed which should have supported the maintenance of the structure.

http://www.preservationnation.org/magazine/story-of-the-week/2001/best-and-worst-of-2001.html

I think that's way too extreme.  However, it's sort of an all or nothing sort of thing; it would be difficult for the expensive housing to be successful with bad housing nearby though (though East 118th seems to be doing fine, with very ordinary houses in between the new projects). The East Cleveland part looks far worse than the Cleveland Heights, as we all know, even though for many decades both sides were very much the same.  I really wish there were a way to pump funding into the triangle for a lot of renovation (hopefully, tastefully) with the existing doubles, and then fill-in with new doubles or singles or whatever in the more expensive range.  Those who have been maintaining their properties decently should be allowed to remain.  Yes, the location should be hot.

My thinking is, there's not really much in that area worth salvaging now.  There may be a few somewhat maintained properties, but it's like the properties themselves are inherently special for any reason.  That's why I would advocate getting rid of the vast majority of the structures and just starting over.

Kirk Middle School controversy: It was a beautiful, Georgian Revival building of 1930 - refreshingly elegant and stylish for East Cleveland - many felt shouldn't be demolished. Same architect as that for a somewhat similar high school in a town in Virginia where it's one of the most revered buildings in the community.  Many claimed it had to do with the way the state funding worked and the rules were changed which should have supported the maintenance of the structure.

http://www.preservationnation.org/magazine/story-of-the-week/2001/best-and-worst-of-2001.html

Thanks.  I knew of Kirk growing up (we played them in baseball), but I couldn't actually recall seeing the building.  It's a shame that there wasn't any push to renovate it, though I unfortunately I can see why the community may not care too much.  Same goes for Shaw: it was a much more impressive building from what I remember before it was renovated.

Was Shaw ever really renovated?  I got the impression the old, original sections(s?) were maintained only as necessary and then a modern addition was put on.  Then, of course, the old part was entirely demolished and replaced with a large modern high school - keeping the addition.

Was Shaw ever really renovated?  I got the impression the old, original sections(s?) were maintained only as necessary and then a modern addition was put on.  Then, of course, the old part was entirely demolished and replaced with a large modern high school - keeping the addition.

Shaw High was torn down and reconstructed here is the old school vs. the new one.yqeru9y3.jpg

uby8uqaq.jpg

qenatusa.jpg

e3a6ypyn.jpg

^Yep, it's just like the bland post-modern suburban office-park look that Cleveland schools adopted when they tore-down/rebuilt the schools they decided to keep open.  As beautiful as Shaw and many of the older buildings from the early 20th century looked, they just didn't have the adaptability for computerized equipment required for contemporary learning nor could the narrow passages, old stairs and other tight spaces be retrofitted for ADA disability access.  For a time, there was a movement to hang onto the old buildings for other uses, like apartments or condos, but that didn't seem to work out too well, so Cleveland found it was more economical to undertake its demolition/ground-up rebuild program. ... A few old buildings did survive, however, like University Circle's handsome John Hay building which is now a charter high school or that old school building on Murray Hill in Little Italy which was, I believe, converted into an arts & crafts school and center.

^Yep, it's just like the bland post-modern suburban office-park look that Cleveland schools adopted when they tore-down/rebuilt the schools they decided to keep open.  As beautiful as Shaw and many of the older buildings from the early 20th century looked, they just didn't have the adaptability for computerized equipment required for contemporary learning nor could the narrow passages, old stairs and other tight spaces be retrofitted for ADA disability access.  For a time, there was a movement to hang onto the old buildings for other uses, like apartments or condos, but that didn't seem to work out too well, so Cleveland found it was more economical to undertake its demolition/ground-up rebuild program. ... A few old buildings did survive, however, like University Circle's handsome John Hay building which is now a charter high school or that old school building on Murray Hill in Little Italy which was, I believe, converted into an arts & crafts school and center.

I attended the newly renovated John Hay from 2007-2011 and the Atrium in the front and the theater type auditorium are jewels that will never be replicated again. Unfortunately the atrium has been ruined by the metal detectors the district decided to install in the schools. Also it's not a charter school it's still apart of CMSD but is a magnet school that requires you to have a 3.0-3.5 to get in along with a math test and interview and must be maintained while taking all honors and A.P classes.

Off topic, but that reminds me of what has been done with the Hanna and Allen Theatres, where gorgeous theaters have been aesthetically ruined with all the high-tech stuff the decisionmakers felt they had to install to "keep up with the latest technology."  Meanwhile, beautiful, ornate theaters all over the world seem to do fine in the old style.

• 4 weeks later...

I see another apartment house in the "Superior Triangle" is being demolished - leaving one or a few empty buildings.  I wonder if the one going now is part of that joint-city project that got so much hype last year, with the two mayors speaking on the "opening" day.  Then that building that was left burned out for a number of years, of yellow brick, is now gone too.  I believe it was on Superior and closer to Euclid.  Possibly on Lee?  I sure wish someone would save that decrepit, tall house on Belmar that stands behind the building that's currently being demolished.  It's a really interesting house, with the two half-lunette windows on the third floor.

• 1 year later...

The article is timely, but downtown Cleveland was never like East Cleveland. Silly comment...

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Could University Circle developments ripple into East Cleveland?

One real estate broker says an extension of the Cleveland Clinic or University Hospital would be a good start

Story by BRIAN BULL

Construction begins in January on a $112 million luxury residential high rise in University Circle. It’s the latest in a string of projects popping up around the Case Western Reserve University neighborhood. But just beyond the train tracks, neighboring East Cleveland is struggling to emerge from its deep financial woes. For Ohio Public Radio, WCPN's Brian Bull reports on whether development dollars could cross the border.

It wasn’t so long ago that downtown Cleveland looked a lot like East Cleveland today: poverty, crime and vacant space were recurring concerns in the area.

“So if you were walking up and down Euclid Avenue between East 9th Street and Playhouse Square five years ago, you may say same thing we’re saying about for East Cleveland today. That it‘s kind of a ghost town, that anybody rolls up their doors at 5pm.”

MORE:

http://www.wksu.org/news/story/44179

^ “So if you were walking up and down Euclid Avenue between East 9th Street and Playhouse Square five years ago, you may say same thing we’re saying about for East Cleveland today. That it‘s kind of a ghost town, that anybody rolls up their doors at 5pm.”

That is an absolutely absurd comparison

• 6 months later...

Out-of-State Investor Buys 70 Units in East Cleveland

The 70-unit Parkview Estates Apartments in East Cleveland, Ohio was bought by Florida-based investors for $850,000, or $12,142 per unit.

by Bogdan Odagescu

FEB 29, 2016

Cleveland—Brook Park-based real estate company Green Bridge recently announced the sale of the 70-unit Parkview Estates Apartments in East Cleveland, Ohio for $850,000.

The buyer originates from Miami, Fla. and operated the transaction through Parkview Estates Cleveland LLC. The lender on the property directed the sale and Matthew King, CCIM represented the seller, MCM Parkview Apartments LLC.

The property, sitting on five acres at 1832-1864 Forest Hills Blvd. in East Cleveland, consists of four all-brick, two-story buildings totaling approximately 60,822 square feet. The inventory consists of 16 one-bedroom, one-bath units and 54 two-bedroom, one-bath units.

Parkview Estate Apartments is located right next to Forest Hill Park and is a mere five-minute walk from the RTA Rapid Transit Red Line at Superior Station, thus accessible to Downtown Cleveland in less than 30 minutes via public transport. The immediate area offers plenty of walkable amenities, including restaurants, fast foods, banks, churches, healthcare centers, and a couple of small shopping plazas. University Circle, one of the densest U.S. neighborhoods in terms of cultural attractions and performing arts venues, is less than a 10-minute ride away.

MORE:

https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/out-of-state-investor-buys-70-units-in-east-cleveland/

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Euclid and Superior Avenue where those now demolished light brick apartments used to sit? I rode past there yesterday and saw a foundation installed and was confused.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Euclid and Superior Avenue where those now demolished light brick apartments used to sit? I rode past there yesterday and saw a foundation installed and was confused.

Superior Avenue or Superior Road? I don't recall apartments on the Avenue side of Euclid.

Superior Avenue or Superior Road? I don't recall apartments on the Avenue side of Euclid.

Superior Rd, my mistake. The apartments were to the right of the plaza when coming from the Cleveland side of Superior.

Superior Rd, my mistake. The apartments were to the right of the plaza when coming from the Cleveland side of Superior.

Iirc, I thought more apartments were coming in there