East Cleveland: Development and News

Guest mrclifton88

I hope this continues!

"University Circle sees residential potential in East Cleveland; city, county backing $5 million project

Published: Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 6:00 AM

By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer

EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Apartments in East Cleveland are the opening salvo in a push to blur lines between the region's poorest city and the humming employment hub next door.

The Finch Group and University Circle Inc. are planning a 20-unit, townhouse-style project on Euclid Avenue. Just into East Cleveland, the $5 million development would bring rare new construction to a strapped city."

Link: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2011/09/university_circle_reaches_into.html

Wow, interesting.  Too late for me to retract my prediction on the previous page that development on this stretch was a long way off?  I guess it's even clearer now how much the actual design of the power plant matters, though I still don't think it has to be an automatic disamenity.

I'm pretty sure the set-aside of units for under 120% of AMI households is a condition of using the NSP funds, so not worth arguing here in case anyone was inclined.

Saw this early in the morning and was damn glad. A few months ago I was showing off the University Circle projects to my Aunt, saying I hope it spills over to East Cleveland sooner rather than later.

If this is successful and helps the East Cleveland economy, I wonder if it will spur merger talks again. I remember reading Mayor Norton say he'd be open to it if it would be to the benefit of East Cleveland to merge with Cleveland. It's such a tiny area that already has a major Cleveland transit hub. If University Circle essentially extends into East Cleveland, a merger would seem to make sense.

Either way (and back on topic), glad to see this!

Glad to see UC development spreading into EC.

As to whether it will lead to more serious merger talks, discuss it here:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,3595.0.html

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Several recent developments appear to warrant a new thread just for East Cleveland. Here's another, as per an e-mailed press release.....

Cuyahoga Land Bank to demolish 24 apartment buildings, 31 homes in East Cleveland to clear path for new development

WHO:            The Cuyahoga Land Bank, represented by President Gus Frangos and staff

The City of East Cleveland, represented by Mayor Gary Norton Jr.

Cuyahoga County Representatives

WHAT:          The demolition of 24 apartment buildings and 31 single family homes, which are vacant and abandoned, and the deconstruction of 5 units, in order to create three redevelopment sites within the City of East Cleveland for either new housing or small commercial/mixed use development.

The deconstruction element of this project creates eight jobs, each paying $10 an hour.  Approximately 80% of the wood and 60% of the brick in these units will be diverted from land fills and recycled in the marketplace.

WHEN:          Wednesday, September 14th at 9:00 am

Remarks will precede demolition

WHERE:        Hartshorn Road, off of Euclid Avenue (a map of the demolition site is attached)

WHY:            The Cuyahoga Land Bank is committed to returning properties in Cuyahoga County to productive use through a variety of tools, including demolition and strategic land assembly.  Through the use of approximately $900,000 in NSPII funds, the Land Bank is able to deconstruct five units and take down 24 apartment buildings and 31 single family homes that have been abandoned and detrimental to East Cleveland in order to make room for redevelopment through the creation of three contiguous redevelopment sites.

###

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

There was also a map of the demolition area, but the area seems to small to contain all of the 55 structures proposed to be demolished. Only 15 properties are identified in the area bounded by Euclid Avenue, Eddy Road, Lakefront Avenue and the railroad tracks.

Agreed, Hts. Agree that it would be great to see the surrounding neighborhoods benefit, but definitely will take E.C. It makes a lot of sense. With the Stokes/Windemere hub, the booming Healthline and success of nearby residential units, it only makes sense to continue down the once (perhaps future?) famous Euclid Ave.

But hopefully other neighborhoods surrounding U.C. will soon figure out how to benefit.

There are really cute neighborhoods already in place around that area as well, just needing a little TLC and by the Cleveland Hts border there are established neighborhoods.  The potential is definitely there for redevelopment to continue into the city.  They will just need to get people to realize the East Cleveland of today is not like the East Cleveland of the 90's.

There are really cute neighborhoods already in place around that area as well, just needing a little TLC and by the Cleveland Hts border there are established neighborhoods.  The potential is definitely there for redevelopment to continue into the city.  They will just need to get people to realize the East Cleveland of today is not like the East Cleveland of the 90's.

Sad truth is that it is worse.  It may not be as corrupt, but all those years with an utter lack of any semblence of leadership took its toll.  The safety forces and city services have been drastically cut.  The sheriff's deputies no longer patrol the streets.  It's a mess.  No way around it.

• 1 month later...

University Circle Development is spilling into East Cleveland:

Groundbreaking for Circle East Apartments

Project sparks new cooperation between to cities.   

(East Cleveland) - Ground was broken for the Circle East Townhomes at Euclid Ave. and Lakeview Road, along the border with Cleveland.

The project will include 20 two-bedroom apartments which come with 2.5 bathrooms and 2-car garages.

East Cleveland Mayor Norton explains Circle East will provide housing for people who want to live near University Circle which is one of the fastest growing economic regions in the state.

Norton says this also marks the beginning of economic cooperation between East Cleveland and the City of Cleveland, and actually expands the radius of University Circle.

http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=122520&article=9253493

Yeah, some of the neighborhoods up the "uphill" from Terrace Road near the CH border are unique and really nice. 

The new structures will not outlast the old. This is what the disappointing part of "new construction" is. It looks nice and shiny for a while...but just give it a few years before the boo boos start appearing. I am sure many of the structures could have been renovated, but demolition is big business, eh?

Some of those structures have nice bones, but look like they're in really bad shape.

Several recent developments appear to warrant a new thread just for East Cleveland. Here's another, as per an e-mailed press release.....

Cuyahoga Land Bank to demolish 24 apartment buildings, 31 homes in East Cleveland to clear path for new development

WHO:            The Cuyahoga Land Bank, represented by President Gus Frangos and staff

The City of East Cleveland, represented by Mayor Gary Norton Jr.

Cuyahoga County Representatives

WHAT:          The demolition of 24 apartment buildings and 31 single family homes, which are vacant and abandoned, and the deconstruction of 5 units, in order to create three redevelopment sites within the City of East Cleveland for either new housing or small commercial/mixed use development.

The deconstruction element of this project creates eight jobs, each paying $10 an hour.  Approximately 80% of the wood and 60% of the brick in these units will be diverted from land fills and recycled in the marketplace.

WHEN:          Wednesday, September 14th at 9:00 am

Remarks will precede demolition

WHERE:        Hartshorn Road, off of Euclid Avenue (a map of the demolition site is attached)

WHY:            The Cuyahoga Land Bank is committed to returning properties in Cuyahoga County to productive use through a variety of tools, including demolition and strategic land assembly.  Through the use of approximately $900,000 in NSPII funds, the Land Bank is able to deconstruct five units and take down 24 apartment buildings and 31 single family homes that have been abandoned and detrimental to East Cleveland in order to make room for redevelopment through the creation of three contiguous redevelopment sites.

###

I wish there was a way to do more of this:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24480.msg514680.html#msg514680

...than demolition.

In a way, I could see it mirroring the general concepts of Youngstown's "shrinking city" policies regarding consolidating assets and opening up land; however, this could be used to collect random scattered historic properties and line them up in new developed streetscapes and neighborhoods....this could be done on the UC-EC border, while still remaining in EC city limits.  Secondly, it would open of land for new construction and development.  I have a strong feeling much of EC will be demolished in the next 10-20 years if nothing changes.  The structures continue to rot and fall apart, many of which can still be saved if we acted in the next decade. 

East Cleveland still has a ton of strengths that can be built around, including employment centers, such as Nela Park, and Windermere Station/Public Transportation (including access to the Healthline and Redline).  Like stated above, it still retains historic, elaborate, and interesting structures (mansions, apartment buildings, original standard oil gas station, etc)

Essentially, something major needs to be done on a mass scale.  Patchwork development will only help plant the seeds, which is what I see the Circle East apartments doing besides extending wealth. 

• 3 weeks later...

From an e-mailed press release distributed today.....

November 4, 2011

Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority

Cortney Kilbury, Marketing and Communications Manager

216-233-8790; [email protected]

Cuyahoga Land Bank

Katherine Bulava, Hatha Communications

216-357-9508; [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CMHA, Cuyahoga Land Bank, the City of East Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and Cuyahoga County Break Ground on New Senior Building

CLEVELAND, OH (November 4, 2011) – Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) will be joined by the Cuyahoga County Land Reutilization Corporation (Cuyahoga Land Bank), the City of East Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and Cuyahoga County for a ground breaking ceremony for the Euclid Belmore Building on November 7, 2011 at 2 p.m.

The Euclid Belmore Building groundbreaking ceremony will take place on the Belmore site in East Cleveland at 14028 Euclid Avenue which is at the corner of Euclid Avenue and Belmore Road. Belmore Euclid will be a three floor apartment building with 39 units, six of which will meet UFAS, designed by LDA Architects.

CMHA is using $5.3 million in Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2 funding received from the U.S. Dept of Housing and Urban Development. The NSP 2 funding is part of a $41 million dollar competitive grant award received by the Cleveland-Cuyahoga NSPII Consortium. With the Cuyahoga Land Bank serving as the lead agency, other Cuyahoga Consortium members that jointly obtained the grant are the City of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County.

“CMHA is committed to providing quality housing for our residents and is proud to be a part of this collaborative effort to bring this project to fruition,” said Jeffery K. Patterson, CMHA Acting CEO.”

“We are proud to be a part of making this project possible,” said Gus Frangos, President of the Cuyahoga Land Bank. “This project adds to the rejuvenation of the community in which it takes place in addition to serving the senior population.”

The Cuyahoga Consortium, the partners obtained one of the largest per capita grants in the U.S. for the purpose of neighborhood stabilization (NSPII), which is currently being applied to projects such as the Belmore Senior Building development. Obtaining these funds would not have been possible if these partners had not decided to make stabilizing our community a collaborative effort.

“Revitalization of a city requires strong partnerships,” said Gary Norton, Mayor of East Cleveland.  “We are proud of this collaborative effort, as we work to revitalize our community.”

About CMHA

Founded in 1933, the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority is the oldest public housing authority in the country.  It is an independent political subdivision of the State of Ohio, created under sections 3735.27 and 3735.50 of the Ohio Revised Code.  It serves Cuyahoga County excluding Chagrin Falls Township, through two federally assisted housing programs: Low-Income Public Housing, which serves 16,000 residents, and the Housing Choice Voucher Program, which provides rental assistance to 14,000 households.

About Cuyahoga Land Bank

The mission of the Cuyahoga Land Bank is to strategically acquire properties, return them to productive use, reduce blight, increase property values, support community goals and improve the quality of life for county residents.

# # #

• 1 month later...

Demolition, New Construction Offer Hope to East Cleveland

Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Attracting new construction is tough anywhere these days, probably nowhere more so than in East Cleveland, one of Northeast Ohio's poorest cities. But ideastream's Mhari Saito reports several million dollars of targeted investments offer the city glimmers of hope.

Ruth Perry moved on to East Cleveland’s Hartshorn Road in 1964. Back then, residents filled the houses and multiple apartment buildings on the block. But Perry says the apartment buildings have been empty for nearly 15 years and now they are crumbling, overgrown hulks taking up nearly half the block.

Ruth Perry: For the residents that are on street, particularly women when they are coming in from church, bible study in the evenings and even work, the vegetation is so overgrown until you couldn’t see any shadows that were lurking out there. So it’s just a blessing to see they are coming down.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.ideastream.org/news/feature/42376

Not to take this thread too far off-topic, but there is a mess brewin' between Mayor Norton and EC City Council.  Hopefully this doesn't throw some of the great things that have been happening in the city under Norton's watch off-track.

I dont think the safety director issue will throw things off.  Hell its about time EC had a Mayor with Balls

Not to take this thread too far off-topic, but there is a mess brewin' between Mayor Norton and EC City Council.  Hopefully this doesn't throw some of the great things that have been happening in the city under Norton's watch off-track.

I dont think the safety director issue will throw things off.  Hell its about time EC had a Mayor with Balls

My point is that I've heard it was done to try to get Norton to resign, heck it's half of the man's salary!  But if he doesn't resign, which I don't think he will, there's likely going to be a fight and I think it could be a distraction for what they're trying to do in EC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the townhomes...I snapped a quick pic. I'm loving how it looks against Euclid!!  There's not really anywhere for a quick park to get out but...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/6821555956/#

Here is a shot of the Euclid Belmore Apartments CMHA just broke ground on in the middle of E Cleve:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/6821554468/#

I can't find what the space across from Circle East was to be (((I remember something about a power plant but can't seem to find anything online....anyone remember???)))but they've torn down and are still working on the land:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/6821555200/#

Is there any construction project you DIDN'T take a picture of today??

Nice "drive-by shootings" in East Cleveland. :-P

haha...I didn't make it to anything downtown (funny now that I live here)

I know what you mean. After I moved to within walking distance of Sea World and Geauga Lake in 1978, I greatly cut back on my visits. It wasn't "exotic" anymore.

• 1 month later...

Fairfax and East Cleveland want to grow, prosper with University Circle

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 10:20 PM    Updated: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 9:38 AM

By Tonya Sams, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- University Circle is flourishing and two surrounding communities want to grow with it.

About 200 people attended a panel at the Cleveland Museum of Art Wednesday about how the city of East Cleveland and the Fairfax neighborhood can draw businesses and residents to the area through the successes of its neighbor University Circle.

"University Circle is the fastest growing job center in Ohio," said East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton. "If something good is around a city(East Cleveland), we have a good chance of growing."

READ MORE AT:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/04/fairfax_and_east_cleveland_wan.html

The mayor seems like a good man, unlike those twit council members, and I'd love him to start thinking outside the box. Imagine rich developers buying entire streets and blocks for dirt cheap, then developing enclosed neighborhoods and gated communities like what they have in south africa. Think of how many students, young professionals and retirees would love that access to UC and downtown while having a safe home to return to. A little urban,  a little artificial - that could appeal to a lot of people.