The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: CUF / Corryville: Development and News

And way too sterile.  Too much old was torn down  :x

You absolutely can't make up that The Sub Galley -- one of the sleaziest establishments to be found anywhere in the United States -- was replaced by some place called...Dive Bar.  I still can't get over the fact that somebody actually named a new, mild-mannered bar "Dive Bar", especially when it replaced a place where crack was smoked in full view. 

And way too sterile.  Too much old was torn down  :x

You absolutely can't make up that The Sub Galley -- one of the sleaziest establishments to be found anywhere in the United States -- was replaced by some place called...Dive Bar.  I still can't get over the fact that somebody actually named a new, mild-mannered bar "Dive Bar", especially when it replaced a place where crack was smoked in full view. 

So Meta.

uptown-3934_zpsagvjrwjp.jpg

Is this garbage getting torn down any time soon?

Exact thing I was wondering. I got giddy when I saw most of the places had vacated in that photo. That's the biggest remaining scourge on that street.

What was demoed for that in looks like 1987? It's got that remodeled Road House Double Deuce/late '80s mall look to it with the metal structures. Anybody remember what was there before?

That development is called "The Colonnade". It was built in 1989 and sold to a shell company of Uptown Rental Properties in 2013 for $1.5 million.

I don't know what was there before 1989. I'm not having much luck finding photos or articles about The Colonnade development.

Did some research on the shopping center. Looks like Uptown Rental Properties bought up the property in 2013 for $1.5m through their Gaslight Ventures LLC. Dan Schimberg's signature is on the conveyance fee forms. Which is good news to me. I don't see them buying up that property unless they intend to demo and build housing/mixed development on the land.

They've stated their longterm intention is to demolish and build something larger scale at that site with a residential component. Until that point hey said they'd do generic "sprucing" to make it at least look a little nicer.

What was demoed for that in looks like 1987? It's got that remodeled Road House Double Deuce/late '80s mall look to it with the metal structures. Anybody remember what was there before?

The shopping center's main tenant for about 15 years was Kinko's, and it was a beehive of activity 24 hours a day.  The Kinko's took up almost the entire plaza.  There was also a Star Bank ATM in the middle.  Around midnight there would be UC students working on something alongside bands of feuding factions (for example goth vs. hardcore) printing off telephone pole posters. 

They've stated their longterm intention is to demolish and build something larger scale at that site with a residential component. Until that point hey said they'd do generic "sprucing" to make it at least look a little nicer.

I must have missed this story a year and a half ago:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/10/21/new-restaurant-bar-project-planned.html?page=all

The shopping center's main tenant for about 15 years was Kinko's, and it was a beehive of activity 24 hours a day.  The Kinko's took up almost the entire plaza.  There was also a Star Bank ATM in the middle.  Around midnight there would be UC students working on something alongside bands of feuding factions (for example goth vs. hardcore) printing off telephone pole posters. 

Oh I remember the Kinko's and the ATM (it kept my card twice) but I meant to ask what building was there before this one.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/10/21/new-restaurant-bar-project-planned.html?page=all

I wonder why Uptown is dragging their feet with this?  They made some improvements to the attached parking garage and with VP3 opening this fall and another development getting started on Taft, seems like the area would be ripe for new bars/restaurants.  Especially when you consider Kroghetto's redevelopment getting underway.

I wonder why Uptown is dragging their feet with this?  They made some improvements to the attached parking garage and with VP3 opening this fall and another development getting started on Taft, seems like the area would be ripe for new bars/restaurants.  Especially when you consider Kroghetto's redevelopment getting underway.

The only thing I can think is that they're waiting to wrap on VP3 before starting on that plot.

It means Vine Public Private PartnershiP

It actually stands for Vine Phase 3, referring to Vine Street Flats and Views on Vine as the first two phases.  The development along Taft will be Vine Phase 4.  They're adding something like 1,000 residents to the area.

Those are still the worst names ever.  I live in Vine Phase 3!  Shirley there's a better name. For example...

Short@TheVine

Corry Commons Flats

ATSHORTVINE

Commons at Corry

VP3O

Ok... I'm not being serious...

Those are still the worst names ever.  I live in Vine Phase 3!  Shirley there's a better name. For example...

Short@TheVine

Corry Commons Flats

ATSHORTVINE

Commons at Corry

VP3O

Ok... I'm not being serious...

How about V3PO, C3PO's long lost cousin?  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The project at the former Christy's/Clifton Natural Foods site is called... The Verge.

“The Verge” will bring 495 new beds and 7,500 SF of retail space to the market.

CINCINNATI, OH. – (March 30, 2015) – Development is now underway at The Verge, a brand new, modern apartment community designed to serve students of The University of Cincinnati.  Located at the corner of West McMillan Street and West Clifton Avenue, the site is just one block from the University’s main campus.

Having broken ground on March 2, the 245,000 SF building will be completed for August 2016 occupancy, and will feature 495 beds within 178 apartment units and 380 parking spaces. Residents will enjoy modern, student-oriented amenities including a large clubhouse, gaming tables, cyber café, media room, fitness center with tanning room, multiple casual seating areas, group study rooms, and a private landscaped courtyard featuring BBQ grill and fire pit with seating areas. High speed internet and Wi-Fi will be available throughout the building.  Additionally, 7,500 SF of commercial space will be located along the prominent commercial corridor along W. McMillan and Clifton Avenues.  The project is eco-friendly, and will attain LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.

I'm sure jmecklenborg[/member] will get a kick out of this next part:

Students will enjoy modern, fully-furnished apartment units with private bedrooms/ bathrooms, washer/dryer, walk-in closets, and 42” HDTV. Floor plans include fully-furnished 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5-bedroom units, and 4-bedroom fully-furnished townhomes that line Lyon Street.

Students will enjoy 24/7 resident services, roommate matching, and individual, by-the-bed leases.

“Gilbane Development Company is excited to bring our trademarked “Next Level of Student Housing®” program to Cincinnati,” noted Robert V Gilbane, Chairman and CEO of Gilbane Development Company. “The brand new, modern amenities featured at our community combined with an outstanding location just one block from campus make The Verge an ideal choice for UC students.”

They're putting up a tower crane for this project which I don't remember them doing for U Square.  And is one 42" TV enough for each apartment?  Don't they need one for every bedroom in addition to the family room? 

To be fair, you can get a crappy 42" flat screen for like $180 these days. But the point still stands that "luxury" isn't necessary for college students.

Glad to see that I can get my tech news from an apartment complex.

These names are so silly.  TheVerge@theULoopSquared

Now that there's The Verge will there also be The Verge Pipe? 

Glad to see that I can get my tech news from an apartment complex.

These names are so silly.  TheVerge@theULoopSquared

Now that there's The Verge will there also be The Verge Pipe?

It's all so bittersweet.

www.cincinnatiideas.com

And all the money will go to the Rolling Stones' lawyer or whatever.

It was Alan Klein.  His kids will be living in The Verge while attending UC, not with the little people on Lyon St. 

They're putting up a tower crane for this project which I don't remember them doing for U Square.  And is one 42" TV enough for each apartment?  Don't they need one for every bedroom in addition to the family room? 

I'm thinking the tower crane is because of how deep down the parking is below the surface of McMillan, but I too was surprised they were using one for this job. It should have a pretty cool view from the top, should there be any urban explorers (or drunk college kids) trying to climb it.

Also, a 42" TV is simply not enough for a college kid, let alone an entire house full of them. I had a 55" TV in college, bought with all the money I saved living in cheap rentals.

I'm thinking the tower crane is because of how deep down the parking is below the surface of McMillan, but I too was surprised they were using one for this job. It should have a pretty cool view from the top, should there be any urban explorers (or drunk college kids) trying to climb it.

Also, a 42" TV is simply not enough for a college kid, let alone an entire house full of them. I had a 55" TV in college, bought with all the money I saved living in cheap rentals.

Are these 42" TV's flat or are they curved?  Do they provide a speaker bar or will ear buds have to suffice?