The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: CUF / Corryville: Development and News

There are still a few parcels around that someone could theoretically build a decently high-density housing (student or otherwise). I'm thinking of McMillan/Auburn, Vine/Calhoun, the mini strip mall of CVS and banks between McMillan and Calhoun, this huge lot that used to be a dentist but is now for sale, and of course the upcoming "District" development. I seriously doubt any of those potential developments would be low-income though.

But maybe with a few of those taking students off the single-family housing rental market, we might see more renovations/restorations. I know when we were looking for something in CUF a few years ago the rehabs needed for some of the Italianate buildings on Flora/Victor etc seemed daunting. They've been so chopped up and abused by landlords, it's almost easier to start with an abandoned shell like you can get in OTR (though now in much more limited supply). 

13 minutes ago, RealAdamP said:

Every student I've met describes the same conditions @jmecklenborg states and they do care. No one wants to live in a house where every possible room besides the kitchen and bathroom have been converted into some janky bedroom. I'm very sure that the city and UC care. The only people that don't care are slumlords exploiting students.

I shouldn't have put it that way, but they aren't letting it get in the way of attending UC. UC, the city and ODOT made all that effort and spent $100 million wiping out residences to improve freeway access and it didn't matter nearly as much as the fact that UC has co-op and is in a city with proper networking and jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oudd said:

Yeah that is obviously a prime parcel and a developer would really, really want to tear down the old mansion on the corner.  

The Mad Frog corner is for sale and unfortunately the loss of that strip of buildings would be a big aesthetic setback.  There does not seem to be any historic protection in place for anything up there, if the recent demo of the church at McMillan & Auburn is any indication.  

2 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

Nobody cares. You literally cannot go to Bucyrus College, Xenia U., Stryker A&M, Ironton Polytech or Stuebnville State anymore. You have to go to UC or no job.

You've made this point/criticism before in this thread and I honestly don't understand it. What are you criticizing? And why do you think other schools in Ohio can't prepare you to get a job? 

People who study fields that don't require a lot of networking aren't having issues or go to a school that is very well known for certain majors also don't have problems, but graduates (especially in the past 5 years) from rural schools are having a lot more issues finding work straight out of school in the past. Many people who fall into the former categories or went to big city schools are unaware. That's why the rural schools have seen declines in enrollment and applications. Many in Ohio (and across the country) have dropped ACT/SAT requirements completely in order to increase applications while the major city Ohio schools (OSU, UC, Case, CSU) continue to see little difference in apps. It's not the curriculum or the staff -- it's the fact that students are located too far from employment centers.

Edited by GCrites80s
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

People who study fields that don't require a lot of networking aren't having issues or go to a school that is very well known for certain majors also don't have problems, but graduates (especially in the past 5 years) from rural schools are having a lot more issues finding work straight out of school in the past. Many people who fall into the former categories or went to big city schools are unaware. That's why the rural schools have seen declines in enrollment and applications. Many in Ohio (and across the country) have dropped ACT/SAT requirements completely in order to increase applications while the major city Ohio schools (OSU, UC, Case, CSU) continue to see little difference in apps. It's not the curriculum or the staff -- it's the fact that students are located too far from employment centers.

Ahh, I see. That is for sure a complicated dynamic, tied up in why many rural areas throughout the country (world?) are struggling to retain population and jobs, and isn't specific to UC or Ohio. It's a combination of technology (nature of jobs changing), migration/immigration (people moving), and globalization (manufacturing moving out of the US). I was confused because your comment seemed somehow "Ohio-specific". 

5 minutes ago, jwulsin said:

Ahh, I see. That is for sure a complicated dynamic, tied up in why many rural areas throughout the country (world?) are struggling to retain population and jobs, and isn't specific to UC or Ohio. It's a combination of technology (nature of jobs changing), migration/immigration (people moving), and globalization (manufacturing moving out of the US). I was confused because your comment seemed somehow "Ohio-specific". 

I saw this for myself back in 2010 when I graduated from Northern Iowa. It seemed like business people got jobs at John Deere, Caterpillar or Rockwell, and the finance people got jobs working insurance, and nothing else in between. It was tough finding a job out of there, even though I had really good credentials. All the big companies needed specific skills (logistics degree, accounting degree, finance degree), so I ended up selling nuts and bolts and wire harnesses with a degree in mathematical economics when everyone else at the company didn't have any type of degree really except for the corporate accounting people.  I worked my way up from there but I hear of people now having the same degree and getting boatload straight out because of the connections/networking. I was first generation college which I am sure a lot of the rural college grads are, and didn't get the chance to have "internships" which were free or low paying, I poured concrete. I thought it would all help me but it ended up being doing construction for a year until I could even find a sales job.

Of course, this was shortly after the recession so everything sucked then but, I can see how this can be a big problem.

44 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

How does this explain why Miami and OU are doing just fine but Akron and Toledo are struggling? OU, for one, has large alumni clusters in Columbus, Cleveland, DC, NYC, and Chicago. Miami obviously has a lot in Cincy and Chicago. So I don't think being rural hurt you if you have clusters of alumni in urban areas. But if most of your alumni are sticking close to home (Toledo, Akron) then you might be hurting to find employment if you try to leave those metro areas.

23 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

which were free or low paying, I poured concrete. I thought it would all help me but it ended up being doing construction for a year until I could even find a sales job.

I think from a hiring manager's perspective for better jobs you look unreliable and disorganized if your resume isn't perfect.  Except you need parents who pay for everything to have a perfect resume.  

2 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

How does this explain why Miami and OU are doing just fine but Akron and Toledo are struggling? 

Because Miami students are from rich families and can take unpaid internships in big cities.  I was surprised by the number of OU students who enjoyed a similar status.  I know people who got jobs through family connections with the New York Times, NBC News, etc.  I was friends with a guy who had an unpaid internship with MTV.  His parents paid for him to live in New York City for the summer.  Such an arrangement was inconceivable to me.  

2 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

How does this explain why Miami and OU are doing just fine but Akron and Toledo are struggling? OU, for one, has large alumni clusters in Columbus, Cleveland, DC, NYC, and Chicago. Miami obviously has a lot in Cincy and Chicago. So I don't think being rural hurt you if you have clusters of alumni in urban areas. But if most of your alumni are sticking close to home (Toledo, Akron) then you might be hurting to find employment if you try to leave those metro areas.

Miami isn't really that far from Cincinnati and Dayton. You can still network in both cities properly. Everyone who went to OU likes swapping OU stories. Somehow my OU-Lancaster stories don't have the same appeal though 😴

6 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

I think from a hiring manager's perspective for better jobs you look unreliable and disorganized if your resume isn't perfect.  Except you need parents who pay for everything to have a perfect resume.  

You know how an prospective employee actually scored major points with me once? A plain text resume. As in Notepad. I've gotten tons of resumes that assumed that we had some random program on our computers -- files we couldn't even open or if we could it was a total mess formatting-wise.

16 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Yeah it was super frustrating. People had great internships at those John Deere's and Rockwell, etc., I applied toe very one and never got any. Then I learned how everyone's mom or dad worked there or some thing or the other. THey then got hired on for what was then a whopping amount of money, meanwhile I was paying interest on my student loans living with mom working concrete and digging ditches. Oh well, all working out now but it can be really tough unless someone sees something in you, the problem is getting the foot in the door.

23 minutes ago, IAGuy39 said:

Yeah it was super frustrating. People had great internships at those John Deere's and Rockwell, etc., I applied toe very one and never got any. Then I learned how everyone's mom or dad worked there or some thing or the other. THey then got hired on for what was then a whopping amount of money, meanwhile I was paying interest on my student loans living with mom working concrete and digging ditches. Oh well, all working out now but it can be really tough unless someone sees something in you, the problem is getting the foot in the door.

I never heard of an "internship" until Monica Lewinsky.  I remember Seinfeld did an episode around that time where Kramer got an intern.  They were jokes back then.  I still think they're a joke.  I told my cousin's boyfriend - who was telling me about his internship - that nobody at the company plays games with the interns because they're not perceived as threats.  As soon as you sign on for real, the backstabbing begins.  He didn't know what I was talking about, but he will soon.  

Not to derail the current conversation, but I heard from a reliable person that the developers of the new building at Eden/Donahue/University have another big project in the works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

You know how an prospective employee actually scored major points with me once? A plain text resume. As in Notepad.

Bonus points for ASCII art.

• Like 1

From last Sunday, 12/7/19...this thing was vacant for 20+ years until 2019:

cincinnati-3202_zpsvekmwxdx.jpg

cincinnati-3185_zpsfbnz1drb.jpg

cincinnati-3179_zpsstwgjwc2.jpg

Neighborhood landmark:

cincinnati-3178_zpsxtf4rswr.jpg

cincinnati-3177_zpsm4jvpebo.jpg

This one was vacant for about 10 years until its 2018 rehab:

cincinnati-3196_zpsuecbm02t.jpg

Probably the only vacant building left in Corryville, unless the vacant apartments in the 2900 block of Burnet are considered Corryville:

cincinnati-3193_zpsihpnkj3n.jpg

Similar to the buildings that were torn down in 2012 or so on Euclid:

cincinnati-3151_zps0w5h1nc8.jpg

Please ignore the hair in the sky, I'm too lazy to clone it out:

cincinnati-3150_zpsbsrfyvzg.jpg

A giant floating hair:

cincinnati-3147_zpsediecjtz.jpg

I see you, hair:

cincinnati-3141_zps7yi3pqxr.jpg

cincinnati-3138_zpsmh1f383f.jpg

cincinnati-3137_zpseqq0jhmu.jpg

cincinnati-3134_zps2wrdtkv1.jpg

cincinnati-3133_zpszbdfxwo6.jpg

cincinnati-3132_zpsggw91qwx.jpg

cincinnati-3130_zps2egkgyx7.jpg

cincinnati-3128_zpsplmgmekw.jpg

I noticed the hair while viewing the shots on the camera's screen and amazingly a few cycles of the "sensor cleaner" function with the camera pointed downward dislodged it. 

I've walked by these signs 1000 times and never understood why the "Begin" signs are there:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1204369,-84.5199931,3a,48.9y,299.07h,92.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVM2AQVn9oNdCYRojaYYa5w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

My best guess was that they denoted the address block jump from the 100 block to the 2000 block at that point. But I'm not sure that's right - it's little confusing because one of the signs just says "Clifton Av" and the other says "W Clifton Av," implying "W Clifton" ends and "Clifton" begins.  This is further confounded as you move up the hill from this point - at various intersections, the street is signed as "Clifton Av," without the directional designation, until it reaches McMicken at the top of the hill, where it is signed as "Clifton Av W," and "W Clifton Av." The auditor has some addresses on this stretch listed as "W Clifton" and some as just "Clifton," to add to the confusion (for example, 2103 and 2109 are officially described as "Clifton" but 2105 and 2107, right next door, are "W Clifton." I imagine this all works itself out because E Clifton doesn't have addresses in the 2000s.

At the corner of Vine and Calhoun*/Taft, today there is a big pile-driver / drill ... presumably doing geotechnical analysis for a foundation/structure.  

image.thumb.png.0f4e82081dd49789600f57dd353b2793.png

Hopefully this is more positive indication that the proposed Millhaus project (230-unit apartment building, 150-key hotel, 380-space parking garage) is moving forward: https://city-egov2.cincinnati-oh.gov/Webtop/ws/council/public/child/Blob/55139.pdf?rpp=-10&w=doc_no%3D'201901821'&m=1

*While UC is looking at changing some names, I'd love to see Calhoun renamed to just Taft. I don't have any particular political motivation (apparently the Calhoun name pre-dates the pro-slavery senator John Calhoun from South Carolina), but I hate when streets change names for only a few blocks (don't even get me started on the Jefferson-Nixon-Goodman quagmire). Calhoun is only 5-blocks long. Why not just continue the Taft name for those 5 blocks? 

3 hours ago, jwulsin said:

At the corner of Vine and Calhoun*/Taft, today there is a big pile-driver / drill ... presumably doing geotechnical analysis for a foundation/structure.  

image.thumb.png.0f4e82081dd49789600f57dd353b2793.png

Hopefully this is more positive indication that the proposed Millhaus project (230-unit apartment building, 150-key hotel, 380-space parking garage) is moving forward: https://city-egov2.cincinnati-oh.gov/Webtop/ws/council/public/child/Blob/55139.pdf?rpp=-10&w=doc_no%3D'201901821'&m=1

*While UC is looking at changing some names, I'd love to see Calhoun renamed to just Taft. I don't have any particular political motivation (apparently the Calhoun name pre-dates the pro-slavery senator John Calhoun from South Carolina), but I hate when streets change names for only a few blocks (don't even get me started on the Jefferson-Nixon-Goodman quagmire). Calhoun is only 5-blocks long. Why not just continue the Taft name for those 5 blocks? 

I know I’ve seen some old renderings for this site but is their a current one? 

16 hours ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

I know I’ve seen some old renderings for this site but is their a current one? 

Not that I'm aware of. 

1 hour ago, savadams13 said:

I see a farmers insurance commercial in the future for that college kid.

probably a good thing that car was there to stop it. Could have been pretty bad if it plowed into that apartment complex. 

The guy obviously didn't chock his wheels but we'll probably see the apartment complex install some concrete posts to slow trucks down in the event this happens again.