The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: CUF / Corryville: Development and News

I just reached out to a pal of mine who is very involved in CUF Community Council and CHCURC. He told me it's all coming down. He begged them to keep it, but, in his words "no dice."

I'm guessing they will halfheartedly reincorporate the medallions into the new building. If I had to place a bet: they are going to make molds from these and then create some sort of cast stone replicas and scatter them through the new development. Kind of like what you see in the development on short vine in how they reincorporated elements from the school they tore down to build the thing where the over-lit Cock and Bull and Taste of Belgium are.

12 minutes ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

I just reached out to a pal oIf mine who is very involved in CUF Community Council and CHCURC. He told me it's all coming down. He begged them to keep it, but, in his words "no dice."

I'm guessing they will halfheartedly reincorporate the medallions into the new building. If I had to place a bet: they are going to make molds from these and then create some sort of cast stone replicas and scatter them through the new development. Kind of like what you see in the development on short vine in how they reincorporated elements from the school they tore down to build the thing where the over-lit Cock and Bull and Taste of Belgium are.

So are the most recent renderings inaccurate? Because the final rendering they released about 3 weeks ago still shows the old historic building standing and incorporated into the development

On 12/7/2018 at 11:40 AM, oudd said:

Also, looks like "The District" development posted a newer set of plans on their page here: https://courbanize.com/projects/trinitas-cuf/updates.

PDF: http://res.cloudinary.com/courbanize-production/image/upload/v1/information_plans/gwe4m77dcl7ze043kw7u

They dropped all the office space (including one whole tower) and reduced retail space from 106,500 sf to 75,000 sf. Residential staying at 850 units. It also looks like they got all the frontage on Clifton north of Straight St from those frat houses.

Capture.JPG

Im refering to this most recent rendering by the developer from late december. That's why I'm confused about this demo conversation...it clearly shows the old building still incorporated and no other new renderings have since been released.

Looks like a mostly blank (windows on the ground floor) wall for the movie theater with no entrances will be facing Clifton Avenue. Not the best layout. 

www.cincinnatiideas.com

The Jimmy John's on Calhoun St. just changed hands.  Looks like we could see another "Toppers Apts" type development on this small parcel.

https://wedge1.hcauditor.org/view/re/1020006008400/2018/transfers

It looks like a few sisters inherited the building back in 1986 and then sold it in 2017 for $750,000.  That LLC then turned around and sold it for $1.3 million 18 months later. 

So "Bearcat Retail Investors LLC" managed to rip off a certain Laura A Berkemeier, nearly doubling their money in just a blink of the cosmic clock. 

8 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

If it was in Columbus it would have its own District -- "The District District"

Can I live-work-play in the urban District District?

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

Now I'm scared the project will stall after they tear the old hospital down. Getting flashbacks of my time at UC when U-Square @ the Loop was a giant field.

1 hour ago, Robuu said:

Now I'm scared the project will stall after they tear the old hospital down. Getting flashbacks of my time at UC when U-Square @ the Loop was a giant field.

Biggest difference with this project, I believe, is that U-Square was owned by CHURC in search of a developer (I think they had an agreement with Towne that fell through at the downturn?) while Deaconess is already under control of a developer.

• Like 1

Do super dense residential projects like the district help preserve some of the older homes and buildings in Clifton?

I know UC is experiencing a student population boom and need more housing and alot of historic homes were demolished in the surrounding area to create more dense housing.

The district looks like a  massive project, so I hope this might calm down some of the historic tear down homes and calm the market for the next decade or so. 

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Cincinnati-OH/170585488_zpid/4099_rid/39.13676,-84.495238,39.125824,-84.510688_rect/15_zm/

Am I crazy, or is this something new for Corryville - a large building renovated into a pricey single-family home,  as opposed to student/medical worker housing? I wonder who their target market is, an whether this is the beginning of a shift for the neighborhood. There are plenty of beautiful houses on the residential streets that still exist in Corryville.

Wow, that developer really took a risk.  The town homes and condos built by Great Traditions, etc., list around $250k, but $399k is a big jump up from that.  Plus it's 2-3 blocks south of those newer developments. 

Overall, they did a pretty decent job on the interior but I sure wish they had spent a few extra bucks to not use white vinyl replacement windows. Dark window frames would do so much for the exterior of this building. 

Not sure if this is the right place, but with the Shriners Hospital reportedly closing and relocating to Dayton hopefully means we can see a new large mixed use development similar to the old Deaconess hospital with new residential/retail/hotels, office 

Edited by troeros

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but with the Shriners Hospital reportedly closing and relocating to Dayton hopefully means we can see a new large mixed use development similar to the old Deaconess hospital with new residential/retail/hotels, office 

I would think that either Cincinnati Children’s and UC Medical Center will redevelop it Into more bed space or offices.

A couple interesting notes from the latest CUFNA newsletter. Unfortunately I don't have copies of any of the images mentioned:

Beth McGrew and John Seibert of UC, presented preliminary drawings and plans relative to the demolition of the old Tri-Health building located at the corner of MLK and Clifton Avenue to be replaced with a new UC Sculpture studio. Their presentation also included the vacant Church building located at the corner of Probasco Street and Clifton Avenue, with an emphasis on “restoring” versus renovating this historic building. Additional discussion took place regarding UCs goals and ideas for reducing the large amount of college student cars travelling through and parking on off-campus streets. 

And for The District:

Mark Becher, Trintas and associates provided a hand-out of street and lane closures, obtaining permits with the City, retail merchant prospects, and an extensive slide presentation devoted to ground level plans (including traffic calming and pedestrian safety). Some discussion also occurred regarding the hospital cornerstone and other ornamental items. 

I'm confused about the church situation, with the emphasis on "restoring". So does that mean there will be a sculpture studio in a restored church sanctuary? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I would not get too worked up about this proposal. I like Graham and his work, but this was another proposal that is a couple years old. I cant tell you how many local firms have worked with numerous developers on this site. So much potential but i am not holding my breath on anything happening. 

35 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

I would not get too worked up about this proposal. I like Graham and his work, but this was another proposal that is a couple years old. I cant tell you how many local firms have worked with numerous developers on this site. So much potential but i am not holding my breath on anything happening. 

Yeah, it looks like this predates Crossroads renovating Old St. George. One of the graphics lists it as an amenity space for the hotel.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Does anyone know what the hold up is with this site?  It would seem cheaper to build on an already vacant site as compared to the demolition of the old hospital they are doing for The District.  With all the new apartment buildings that have gone up around campus, It is very surprising this land has stayed empty for so long.

It's my understanding that the lot is challenging due to the elevation change and rocky terrain. I think CHURC or whoever exactly owns the lots is holding out for a more upscale developer who would invest in partially underground parking, as opposed to the simpler option of a surface lot. They've spoken of trying to target a hotel and/or YP housing as opposed to more student housing.

4 hours ago, Cincy_Travels said:

Update on "The District" and "The Deacon"

33600300398_7be957ef6d_c.jpg

47423950422_e86c46fa93_c.jpg

33600302698_e2f5d57b98_c.jpg

47423953392_3e4c9d09fd_c.jpg

33600305518_376a185ca7_c.jpg

46561558105_eda4efafe6_c.jpg

47476816211_e31de23768_c.jpg by Chad McCann

Pretty excited for how much density this will create. Does anyone know how they are going to take down the main part of the hospital?

What is up with the arbitrary, tacked-on orange frames? Do they highlight where the "premium members" of The District reside?

Just another way architects can pretend like there is any depth to the facade while the framing still runs completely flat and two-dimensional. 

The density is great, but I HATE the combinations of facade materials.  Brick for 5 stories, then siding for 3, but all siding over here in front of the garage.  Just pick a material a go with it.

• Like 1

Hahaha you all crack me up. This is developer driven architecture. Architects get very little leeway with design in this segment, its all low budget dollars on exterior. We just have to try and design something that is aesthetically pleasing, that keeps the client happy.  luckily, they are using any brick on the building. The new thing is EIFS panels made to look like brick, or just EIFS panels in colors and shades of brick. I have worked on a number of these projects and architects have the best of intentions but the bank lendor gets involved and wants the exterior VE'd so that cost are brought down and the project meet there idea of R.O.I. Since the city doesn't push for higher quality building materials, developers do as they wish. 

• Like 2