Sign in to follow this  
Guest surfohio

Ron Paul

Ron Paul 2002 predictions.

To be fair, I don't think he's anywhere close to batting a thousand. The music was a bad choice and there is some embelishment by the editor. But I do think Ron's done much better at predicting than Nostradamus : )

Ron Paul's loot

The True Believer by Pat Buchanan

Last May, Ron Paul filed his financial disclosure form, and The Wall Street Journal enlisted financial analyst William Bernstein to scrutinize his investments.

"Paul’s portfolio isn’t merely different," said an astonished Journal, "it’s shockingly different."

http://buchanan.org/blog/the-true-believer-4983

^ I said this same thing over in the Romney thread. Okay, maybe not as eloquently.

There is a gnawing fear in the GOP that Paul will quit the party when the primaries are over and run as a third-party candidate on the Libertarian or some other line in the November election.

Not going to happen. Such a decision would sunder the movement Paul has pulled together, bring about his own and his party’s certain defeat in November, and re-elect Barack Obama.

Paul would become a pariah in his party, while his son, Sen. Rand Paul, who would be forced to endorse his father over the GOP nominee, would be ruined as a future Republican leader.[/i]

damn...

EDIT: sorry this has been posted before!!

Don't be sorry, we should post this clip on every thread for the scary music alone!

On second thought...I don't want to be suspended from UO ha ha.

p.s. Ron up to 20% in Hazard County (aka S. Carolina) where Rick Santeria has in one week somehow managed to plunge into single digits. If this poll is to be believed, Paul has a real shot to win.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2012/primary/rep/sc/

Ron Paul's loot

Last May, Ron Paul filed his financial disclosure form, and The Wall Street Journal enlisted financial analyst William Bernstein to scrutinize his investments.

"Paul’s portfolio isn’t merely different," said an astonished Journal, "it’s shockingly different."

There is one major inaccuracy in that article: Gold and silver stocks are still stocks, so it's not true that only 0.1% of his portfolio is in stocks (sold short).  It means that about 65% of his money is in stocks, and that he has put all of them into precious metal mining.  That is not the same as buying actual bullion.  The difference is arcane to many people (just as many people invest in gold mining stocks as a proxy for investing in physical gold), but it is a real difference.

Ron Paul's loot

There is one major inaccuracy in that article: Gold and silver stocks are still stocks, so it's not true that only 0.1% of his portfolio is in stocks (sold short).  It means that about 65% of his money is in stocks, and that he has put all of them into precious metal mining.  That is not the same as buying actual bullion.  The difference is arcane to many people (just as many people invest in gold mining stocks as a proxy for investing in physical gold), but it is a real difference.

By "stocks", they might mean publicly traded shares listed on an exchange rather than other types of stock ownership or private equity.

"These twitter polls are not scientific"

That's funny.  And the 'text' polls from your viewers that you show 20 times a day showing that 95% of "Americans" are in favor of [insert Ailes agenda] are scientific and newsworthy???

Ron Paul Introduced a bill today to remove the section regarding detention of American Citizens from the NDAA bill. Also tells SC senator Lindsey Graham to STFU.

"Section 1021 provides for the possibility of the US military acting as a police force on US soil, apprehending terror suspects, including Americans, and whisking them off to an undisclosed location indefinitely. No right to attorney, no right to trial, no day in court. This is precisely the kind of egregious distortion of justice Americans have ridiculed in so many dictatorships overseas...."

I was recently an extra in Stone's current production. It's about normal people getting caught up in a battle with drug cartels, titled Savages.  I thought his portrayal on Nixon was terrible.

Filmmaker Oliver Stone would vote for Ron Paul over Obama

By Jonathan Easley - 01/24/12 09:52 AM ET

Filmmaker Oliver Stone, known for his liberal political views, said he would vote for GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul over President Obama should Paul win the Republican nomination.

In an interview with Rock Cellar magazine, Stone was asked if an economic collapse would lead to the fall of the American “empire.”

“I think it’s a given,” Stone said. “There’s no way that we can continue this spending spree. In fact, I think in many ways the most interesting candidate — I’d even vote for him if he was running against Obama — is Ron Paul. Because he’s the only one of anybody who’s saying anything intelligent about the future of the world.”

Stone was a vocal supporter of the president in 2008, and wrote an editorial in the Guardian saying that Obama could be the “heir to John F. Kennedy.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/206057-oliver-stone-would-vote-for-ron-paul-over-president-obama?utm_campaign=briefingroom&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitterfeed

By John Parkinson

Feb 29, 2012 1:52pm

Gold, Silver and Inflation: Ron Paul Spars With Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke

Rep. Ron Paul, one of four remaining GOP candidates seeking the nomination for president, returned to Capitol Hill this morning to attend a hearing with one of his chief rivals – the chairman of the Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke.

Paul, a passionate critic of the Fed who has made its demise a cornerstone of his campaign, was recognized by the chairman of the committee, Rep. Spencer Bachus, as Bernanke’s “thorn in your flesh.”

“I guess over the last 30 or 40 years I have criticized the Fed on occasion,” Paul, R-Texas, admitted as he began his opening remarks. “But the Congress deserves some criticism too. The Federal Reserve is a creature of the Congress.”

The 12-term Republican said that the financial crisis is a sign of the “end stages of a grand experiment” on currency that derives its value from government regulation or law. Instead, Paul once again made the case for returning to the gold and silver standard.

“They’ve been debating currencies for hundreds if not thousands of years and they always end badly, they always return to market-based money, which is commodity money – gold and silver,” Paul said. “People keep arguing from the other side of this argument that [the Fed] is working, it’s doing well, and yet from my viewpoint and the viewpoint of the free market economists, all it is doing is building a bigger and bigger bubble.”

Paul said that the Federal Reserve has “a responsibility to protect the value of the dollar” but without a consensus on the “definition of a dollar,” the dollar’s value cannot be sustained.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/ron-paul-talks-gold-silver-and-inflation-with-fed-chairman-ben-bernanke/

I merely want to point out how Paul is simply much much different than the other GOP candidates. Paul cannot be tied together with Bush and the Republican establishment. ...

I just tied them together.

pretty lousy knot

^^I think that horse has long since escaped the barn, lived a productive life elsewhere (including a brief stint where it won two of the three triple crown races), and has since been processed into glue and Shamrock Shakes.

I'm no economist, but as I see it the gold standard creates a finite number of dollars in the economy, which limits how we account for growth.

^^I think that horse has long since escaped the barn, lived a productive life elsewhere (including a brief stint where it won two of the three triple crown races), and has since been processed into glue and Shamrock Shakes.

I'm no economist, but as I see it the gold standard creates a finite number of dollars in the economy, which limits how we account for growth.

Beyond a few classes in college, my knowledge of economics is limited. I can't say I'm educated enough to agree or disagree with the gold standard argument.

However I think the conversation is extremely interesting.  And any progress toward making the FED more transparent is a good and worthwhile exercise.

But Paul doesn't want to make the FED 'transparent'..... he wants to get rid of it altogether, no?

Right, End the FED!

That's the mantra. But Paul's record shows a more pragmatic and realistic approach. Far from being extremist. He introduced a bill to audit the FED and it has much bipartisan support (Bernie Sanders introduced the Senate version).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Transparency_Act

And in this Wall Street Journal piece, he again takes a realistic, middle of the road approach:

Americans Deserve a Transparent Fed

Trillion-dollar interventions in the economy merit scrutiny by taxpayers and their representatives.

While the Fed is more transparent now than it was 20 or 30 years ago, there is still a long way to go. If the Fed were fully transparent, organizations such as Bloomberg and Fox News wouldn't have to sue its board of governors to receive materials that should be available through Freedom of Information Act requests. These include information on which banks and companies received loans and for what amounts after the 2008 financial meltdown.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704782304574542280971009044.html

There will be a lot of angry financial professionals if we go back to the gold standard. They've spent 40 years building instruments around the fact that we are off the gold standard.

I have seen some very convincing takedowns of Paul's argument for returning to the gold standard from both conservative and liberal points of view.  Even after the Fed's extraordinary actions since 2008, I still believe in those counterarguments.  In particular, gold is much more in demand today as an industrial metal in ways that it has never been used in the thousands of years of human history before 1900; as such, it's not that much better a store of value than oil or wheat or any other commodity, because industrial demand for the metal fluctuates with the world economy.  In addition, one of the other arguments in favor of the gold standard is that it is supposed to make the currency immune to currency manipulation, but I saw a recent historical piece in a conservative publication (I don't have the link handy on this computer) noting occasions when powerful private interests absolutely were able to manipulate gold-based currencies.

However, I have to admit that the Fed has not done itself any favors with the combination of extraordinary power and extraordinary secrecy that it has exercised since 2008.  The size of the Fed's bailout of the financial sector is/was significantly higher than the democratically approved Treasury bailout of the financial sector, and the full costs of it will not be ascertained for some time.

I think the two issues can be separated.  The Fed, particularly today, is much more than the warden of the value of the dollar.  Its roles are much more varied and complex than that.  I think Paul knows this as well, though I'm also sure that in his mind, the push to make the Fed more transparent is just the vanguard of the larger assault intent on ending it entirely; he is so ideologically anti-Fed that he is convinced that everyone will flock to his banner if they see whatever has been going on there.  I'm not so sure that the reaction would be so visceral.  After all, the Fed audit impelled by Bernie Sanders (seldom a friend of Ron Paul) did uncover <a href="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/29/1040969/-The-Fed-Audit-16-Trillion-in-secret-bail-outs-Thanks-Bernie-">staggeringly large figures for the value of the Fed bailout</a>, but it didn't spark the kind of anti-Fed fire that Paul must be hoping gathers behind his crusade at some point.

I can't get youtube at my office....yet.

Are these more voting fraud allegations?

It's about the media omitting Paul from their reporting. An honest mistake....

I can't get youtube at my office....yet.

Are these more voting fraud allegations?

It's about the media omitting Paul from their reporting. An honest mistake....

I am biased, but yeah, it's really interesting to look at how the mainstream media has treated Paul.

Jon Stewart was so instrumental in showing the "blackout." Then in the early, critical debates the moderators avoid him. It's bizarre. So what is really going on? On the one hand, it's fun to talk about a vast and shadowy conspiracy, but really, I would love to know the honest answer in this case.

I've got my 2008 Ron Paul sign out in the yard again but, if he was actually  elected I think congress would just ignore him same as the media is.

So Ron Paul wins the Virgin Island popular vote.

http://vigop.com/2012/03/vi-gop-2012-caucus-results-coming-soon/

But Romney gets the most delegates? You know that the media will report it as a win for Romney, even though he lost the popular vote. But when Ron Paul gets the most delegates they only report the "Beauty Contest" results.