Sign in to follow this  
Guest Clevelander17

Michelle Bachmann

Not so sure about that.  I think on that point is where you will find the biggest fractions in the Tea Party.

Actually I know that to be true ( ;) ), but suspiciously none of them have much to say about that issue (other than Dr. Paul).

I can't believe, of all the [insert GOP Primary Candidate name here] threads, this one has the most posts.

When she keeps giving us golden moments like this one from yesterday, why wouldn't her thread have the most posts?

Not as bad as her congratulating that town for being the birthplace of John Wayne....... Gacy!

She's trying too hard to be folksy/cutesy/down-to-Earth and it's backfired at least twice now.  If she's going to continue to be so easily-confused about somewhat important details, the people running her campaign should probably consider cutting back on these pointless cultural references.

Not as bad as her congratulating that town for being the birthplace of John Wayne....... Gacy!

Yes.  That one was even worse.  She said it at her presidential campaign kickoff in her hometown of Waterloo, Iowa.  John Wayne (aka Marion Morrison) was born in the Iowa town of Winterset - home of the John Wayne Birthplace Museum - located three hours away from Waterloo.  On the other hand, future serial killer John Wayne Gacy moved to Waterloo, Iowa in his early 20's and had his first arrest in Bachmann's hometown.

Michele Bachmann confuses John Wayne Gacy with The Duke

For a top 10 gaffes-of-the-past list look here.

And that doesn't even include the gaffe she made during a New Hampshire campaign swing when she praised the Granite State for being the place where the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired.  Unfortunately for her, this happened in the neighboring state of Massachusetts.

Even if in jest, this was definitely in poor taste considering that 21 Americans lost their lives this weekend when God decided he needed to weigh in on the country's fiscal issues.

Bachmann creates firestorm for joking hurricane is God’s message

Hurricane Irene and the recent East coast earthquake were directed at America's politicians, according to a statement from Michele Bachmann.

The Minnesota congresswoman and presidential candidate told an audience gathered at a Shriner's temple in Sarasota, Fla., Sunday that God was trying to communicate a message about fiscal responsibility via the two recent natural disasters. From the St. Petersburg Times:

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/bachmann-claims-hurricane-earthquake-were-god-messages-politicians-155051199.html

Regardless, what is all this talk about obesity, Nanny?

^ that garnered you a chuckle.

She should limit her standup routine to something less controversial. "My husband is a Baptist, and I'm born again, but we both love the missionary!"

Pity bump after more than three weeks of inactivity in this thread, just to emphasize Bachmann's fading buzz.

At this rate, we're going to have to remove the "Michele Bachmann" thread from the "Current Events" forum soon.

Here's an interesting article I read a few days ago on the so called "Michelle Bachmann blackout" at Fox News after Perry joined the race.  I found it to be an interesting perspective on the Fox News coverage of each candidate.  It's interesting to think about how much of the primary narrative Fox News may actually be writing considering their considerable influence within the conservative base.  Did Bachmann's poll numbers drop because she's crazy or because Fox News stopped talking about her?  I'd like to think it's the former, but I'm honestly not sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/fox-news-michele-bachmann_n_964930.html

^ fascinating stuff. I think it's pretty likely that Fox commentators are under pressure from the network to push certain candidates. Maybe every major network is guilty of this to an extent. Fox to me just has a way of making it so obvious; much more dramatic than how the big three networks seemed to sway left when I was younger.

As a lawyer, I can confirm that Hts is not just saying dumb stuff when he says that many lawyers say dumb stuff.

If he says that I personally am saying dumb stuff, however, well, that's just him saying dumb stuff.

As a lawyer, I can confirm that Hts is not just say dumb stuff when he says that many lawyers say dumb stuff.

If he says that I personally am saying dumb stuff, however, well, that's just him saying dumb stuff.

I am glad that you didn't stoop to saying any dumb stuff.

Tedolph, Esq.

Is it tedolph, Tedolph, or TEdolph?

All three, depends on which personalty has taken over at the moment!

TEdolph/Tedolph/tedolph and sometimes tedolf

This was such a poor decision and a misdirected action. They certainly do owe Michele Bachmann an apology. So is there a song "Dumb-ass bitch" instead?

Michele Bachmann lashes out at NBC and Jimmy Fallon's house band, The Roots,' over song

Published: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 4:07 PM    Updated: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 4:18 PM

By Associated Press entertainment staff

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann lashed out Wednesday at NBC for not apologizing or taking immediate disciplinary action for an off-color song played during her appearance on Jimmy Fallon's "Late Night."

In her first comments on the flap, Bachmann said on the Fox News Channel that the Fallon show band displayed sexism and bias by playing a snippet of a 1985 Fishbone song as she walked onstage for Tuesday's show. The title of the song is "Lyin' Ass B----."

READ MORE AT:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2011/11/michele_bachmann_lashes_out_at.html

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

NBC has apologized.  It really was defamatory.  She's not a liar.  Technically, you have to realize the false statements that are pouring out of your mouth are actually false to be a liar.  "Dumb"?.... affirmative.  "Liar"?..... that's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

I am still waiting on her and her husband to apologize for their unforgivable anti-gay comments, stances, and beliefs.  They should be held accountable for their blatant homophobia and bigotry.  There is something wrong with this picture when people are up in arms over some silly song and give her a pass on her gay rights record. 

NBC has apologized.  It really was defamatory.  She's not a liar.  Technically, you have to realize the false statements that are pouring out of your mouth are actually false to be a liar.  "Dumb"?.... affirmative.  "Liar"?..... that's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

You fellas seen an aircraft carrier around here?

I am still waiting on her and her husband to apologize for their unforgivable anti-gay comments, stances, and beliefs.  They should be held accountable for their blatant homophobia and bigotry.  There is something wrong with this picture when people are up in arms over some silly song and give her a pass on her gay rights record. 

I think that should be NBC's quid-pro quo.

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

The Hill ‏@thehill 3m

Bachmann: House GOP needs to ‘spank’ Obama, ‘pinch his ears back’ http://j.mp/1aoD81j  by @JonEasley

And just to be clear, this had nothing to do with her decision to not run for re-election in 2014.  After all she said it in her own video: “And rest assured, this decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff."

Full video at Yahoo News: Michele Bachmann won’t seek re-election

And just to be clear, this had nothing to do with her decision to not run for re-election in 2014.  After all she said it in her own video: “And rest assured, this decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff."

Full video at Yahoo News: Michele Bachmann won’t seek re-election

....and were, just, suppose to believe her?  ::) ::) ::) :o ::)

The craziest of the "Crazy Caucus" in Republican Tea Party might not be running for re-election.  But that doesn't mean she isn't trying to do as much damage as she can before she leaves office.  She been supporting the gov't shutdown and a debt default being discussed in other current events threads.  But with Mchelle Bachmann, that's only a start.

The Atlantic Wire: Of Course Michele Bachmann Believes the End Times Are Here

You can read the full text of her belief that the "end times" are near at the above link.  There is probably a recording of it too somewhere on the interwebs (it is from a radio interview and I've heard on TV).  If someone wants to post it, feel free to add it here.

But this gets to a major difference between the "reasonable conservatives" and the radical Tea Party fringe taking control of the Republican Party.  The radical Tea Party fringe views everything in evangelical apocalyptic terms.  And there is this fundamentalist Christian belief in "The Rapture" that overlaps with this good vs. evil political outlook.  People like Bachmann believe that "The Rapture" or "end times" is not only real, but will occur in their lifetime.  And not only that it will occur - but that this is a good thing!

In America, we all generally hold that people can believe whatever they want to believe, religious or otherwise, within the law.  But if someone believes in the "end times" and actually welcomes it, then for them to hold public office is insane.  If you hold this belief, then why worry about things like the budget, or regulations, or the environment, or even the nation's economy.  If the "end times" are upon us, none of that matters, right?

Even Business Insider views trying to reason with people that hold such beliefs to be a fool's errand.  Below is a pointed article in Business Insider that looks at one California Republican in the House who is against the strategy of shutting down the government to demand changes to Obamacare.  But he doesn't want to take on the Tea Partiers in his caucus because he thinks they will eventually see this as a doomed strategy.  Well, this is Business Insider's response:

Business Insider: Waiting For Michele Bachmann To Stop Being Crazy Is Not A Strategy

How. Funny. Would. It. Be. if Michele Bachmann won Al Franken's Senate seat?? The "progressives" would go over the edge

Michele Bachmann says she's considering running for Al Franken's Senate seat

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/02/michele-bachmann-says-shes-considering-running-for-al-frankens-senate-seat.html

Aargh.  Minnesota is not a red state and yet it has a red faction that is absolutely crazy and sufficient to disrupt primaries.  A very likely outcome of Michele Bachmann run would be clearing the field of sane Republicans in the primary so that a Democrat could hold the seat.  Michele Bachmann can win a House seat in Minnesota because House seats only cover part of the state, so she can have a district dominated by crazies like herself.  She'll never win a Senate run there.  She can't motivate enough crazy to cancel out the motivated anti-crazy of Minnesotans who definitely don't want to be represented by Michele Bachmann.

Aargh.  Minnesota is not a red state and yet it has a red faction that is absolutely crazy and sufficient to disrupt primaries.  A very likely outcome of Michele Bachmann run would be clearing the field of sane Republicans in the primary so that a Democrat could hold the seat.  Michele Bachmann can win a House seat in Minnesota because House seats only cover part of the state, so she can have a district dominated by crazies like herself.  She'll never win a Senate run there.  She can't motivate enough crazy to cancel out the motivated anti-crazy of Minnesotans who definitely don't want to be represented by Michele Bachmann.

Minnesota is not a solid blue state either. Hillary won by the slimmest margin. It appears the vote there could go either way

D H. Clinton 46.9% 1,366,676

R D. Trump 45.4% 1,322,891

Absolutely, a Republican can win in Minnesota.

Much of the upper Midwest has a strong populist streak, actually, so a populist Republican can definitely win in Minnesota.  Trump was running on a populist platform (whether he was sincere about it or not) and it resonated well in Minnesota (just like it did in Wisconsin, which Trump won by less than 1%).

A Republican can win in Minnesota.  A populist Republican can win in Minnesota.  I very, very strongly doubt that Michele Bachmann is that populist Republican.