Sign in to follow this  
Guest zaceman

Cleveland: Case Western Reserve University News & Info

35 minutes ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

The acceptance rate for Case Western Reserve is now down to a head-spinning 27%.   And even more geographically diverse... most notably, only 18% are from Ohio..!

By the numbers: Meet the Class of 2023

AUGUST 20, 2019

Cars have been unloaded. New roommates have spent their first nights in their new home. Parents have bid farewell. The class photo on DiSanto Field has been captured. And with that, we welcome the Case Western Reserve University Class of 2023.

The new students were chosen from 28,987 applications, resulting in an acceptance rate of 27%—marking the most selective admissions year in the university’s history.

Members of the Class of 2023 represent 46 states in addition to Guam, Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C., and 24 countries.

They hail from the following areas:

Middle Atlantic: 25%

Ohio: 18%

West and southwest: 14%

Outside the U.S.: 13%

Midwest: 12%

South: 10%

New England: 6%

https://thedaily.case.edu/by-the-numbers-meet-the-class-of-2023/

Is Case Western's goal to become more and more selective or, with the increase of applications that have been evident over the past 5 years, are they looking to expand and thus increase enrollment?

Colleges across the country are seeing the number of applications skyrocket because of the adoption of the Common Application. Now you can fairly simply apply to ten colleges with the same form, so some of this increase in applications can be attributed to an increase in the number of colleges each prospective student is applying to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cle_guy90 said:

Outside the U.S.: 13%

This is lower than i would have  expected. Is this lower than previous years?

19 minutes ago, Metz44 said:

Cool metrics.  Good find. 

Two biggest standouts:

- Steady increase of students from China

- Steady decrease of students from Ohio

Also interesting to see the steady uptick of students from California and Illinois (presumably from Chicagoland). 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL

^And that decrease in enrollment from Ohio has coincided with a pretty huge increase in overall enrollment.  In 2001, Ohioans made up 58% of the undergrads!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Metz44 said:

Agreed. Good find, thanks!  I wish they broke out "other countries" more.  For example, for undergrads, they show 122 students from 'other countries' from about 42 countries (52 less those listed). so that would be on average 3 students from each of those, whereas they give a dedicated line to Saudi which has 0 to 2 students each year. There could be some interesting trends in there we're not seeing, like some specific country going from 0 to 15 to 20 to 25, etc. per year.

Edited by Pugu

5 hours ago, cle_guy90 said:

Is Case Western's goal to become more and more selective or, with the increase of applications that have been evident over the past 5 years, are they looking to expand and thus increase enrollment?

Having some insider information, I can tell you that they are bursting at the seams and do not want to increase enrollment.  The goal is to increase matriculation or "yield".  That is, they want to figure out who amongst the qualified applicants actually wants to attend CWRU as a first choice, and then just admit those.  If they can better predict that, they can admit as few as 25% of the applicants, or less and still get a freshman class of 1200 (plus a few legacy admits) highly qualified students.   They also need to attract more Merit Scholars under the new rating system to improve their national ranking.  They are a little bit obsessed with this.

All of this is a little bit of a black art.  Early Decision is one step in that direction.

Also, they are overall doing OK financially but have some historically under performing management units (College of Arts and Science, and Law) that are perennially running deficits and they want to put an end to that.

Edited by Terdolph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One other thing that I find suspicious about that article is that they do not give any data about the academic qualifications of the new class.  Usually, they love to crow about SAT scores and high school class rank, etc.   

One more thing that is a bit troubling.  If 28% of 30k applicants are accepted, and only 1300 enroll, that means that the yield rate is only about 15%. That really hurts the rankings score.  In the 70's and 80's, about 33% of all accepted applicants enrolled, although the number of applicants was far smaller-maybe 9k applicants, 3k admitted and 900 to 1000 enrolled, and most of them from Ohio.  So, that suggest that CWRU is just collecting a lot of applications from out of state people who are either totally unqualified, or are highly qualified but have no intention of going there.

What does this mean?  Well maybe it means that to get those last 300 students enrolled, CWRU has to accept an additional 6000 students, many from out of state who will not attend.  Does that suggest that they need the ticket revenue from those last 300 paying freshman to stay cash flow positive?

On 8/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Terdolph said:

Also, they are overall doing OK financially but have some historically under performing management units (College of Arts and Science, and Law) that are perennially running deficits and they want to put an end to that.

Law is perennially running a deficit?  That's a little bit of a surprise.  Those are profit centers to most universities, I thought.

1 hour ago, Terdolph said:

One more thing that is a bit troubling.  If 28% of 30k applicants are accepted, and only 1300 enroll, that means that the yield rate is only about 15%. That really hurts the rankings score.  In the 70's and 80's, about 33% of all accepted applicants enrolled, although the number of applicants was far smaller-maybe 9k applicants, 3k admitted and 900 to 1000 enrolled, and most of them from Ohio.  So, that suggest that CWRU is just collecting a lot of applications from out of state people who are either totally unqualified, or are highly qualified but have no intention of going there.

I think @CbusTransit had a good point on that earlier, though, regarding the Common Application.

I applied to three schools when I graduated from high school in 2000.  I had applications to dream schools (Penn and Princeton) in process but abandoned them when I realized it was really unlikely I'd go there even if I got in, for financial reasons.  So my personal acceptance rate was 33%--I accepted one of three.  And only two schools out there got a "ding" on their matriculation rate from having made me an offer that I declined.  Today, I might well apply to 8 or 16.  The "barriers to entry" to apply to any one school beyond the first are just lower.

What's interesting to me is the decline in Ohio resident students from 2278 in 2008 to 1350 in 2018.  That's a very significant drop.  I wonder if that's because of admitting fewer Ohio students or Ohio students expanding their application pool and ultimately choosing to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

The law school has been running a $4-5 million annual deficit for the last five years. 

Law schools used to be cash cows but national law school enrollment has dropped by half since the 1990's.  It is pretty hard for a law school to cut costs.  They all built new large buildings designed for twice as many students, and expanded course offerings way beyond the basic courses.  Now, they would have to fire professors, and reduce course offerings.  Hard to do and stay competitive.  Much easier just to let the university pick up the tab.  There was an emeritus law professor at CSU who wrote a paper that said a lot of law schools just needed to close.

I'm sure Babbs must be having fits!

Edited by Terdolph

One additional bit of information is that many schools in Ohio are diversifying their geography intentionally—there will not be enough Ohio high schoolers to fill Ohio’s colleges in the coming years. Especially expensive private schools.

• Like 1

Case Western Reserve is the top university in Ohio, according to U.S. News: See the best private universities and colleges in the state

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/10/case-western-reserve-is-the-top-university-in-ohio-according-to-us-news-see-the-best-private-universities-and-colleges-in-the-state.html

Case Western Reserve recognized on most innovative universities list

Case Western Reserve University is the most innovative school in Ohio, according to Reuters' new most innovative universities list for 2019.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/rachel-mccafferty-blog/case-western-reserve-recognized-most-innovative-universities-list

Some interesting new statistics on the CWRU law school:

•Our graduates had the highest overall pass rate on both the February and July 2019 Ohio Bar Exams.

•The median GPA of our entering class was 3.63 -- the highest it has been in memory.

•Our faculty was ranked No. 32 in the nation in scholarly impact, were cited in two recent Supreme Court cases and lent expert commentary to more than 700 news stories in the past year.

•We completed our Forward Thinking campaign with more than $58 million in donations, coming from fifty percent of our alums, an extraordinarily high number for law school alumni giving.

Edited by Terdolph
  • Like 2