Sign in to follow this  
Guest bizbiz

Cleveland: Demolition Watch

Agreed. Does CEI have plans for it or will they unload it?

Latest plan is a grass field for now.

I know there's been talk about moving the Shoreway, but I drive by there all the time and as long as a building was raised a bit (perhaps over a parking garage) it's close enough to the lake to be considered "lakefront".

Driving by the remains, it looks like they may not have done such a good job.

I suspect the stack was meant to fall in that direction, but the boiler building appears only partially collapsed.

Driving by the remains, it looks like they may not have done such a good job.

I suspect the stack was meant to fall in that direction, but the boiler building appears only partially collapsed.

I think this may have been done on purpose. In watching many demo's seemlier to this one, buildings are usually meant to fall a certain way, and this demo mimic's many others that can be found on YouTube.

Near West Design Review District

Agenda

(8:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 8th, 2017)

Dollar Bank, 3115 West 25th Street

8:30 a.m. 1. NW 2017-005: Commercial & Residential Building Demolition ©

4302 Pearl Road

Project Representatives – Bob Goff, Jr., Leelila, LLC, Property Owner & Andy

Kiss, Andy’s Empire Demolition, Inc.

Proposed demolition of former commercial/residential building.

33162058492_1b210eefe1_b.jpg4302PearlRoad-Goff by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Anyone know what Scranton Averell Inc is up to? This building has a 300k demolition order pending.

Might want to post that in the Scranton Peninsula thread!

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4043.0.html

BTW, I know someone who owns a lot of Scranton Averell stock and goes to their shareholders conventions. Every so often he hears little nuggets about Scranton Peninsula and passes them along, but I've not heard from him in a long time. I should bug him to see if he knows anything.

Thanks. From what little I know of Scranton Averell, their executives are cheap -- as in they chew their water before swallowing. So I can't imagine them spending $300,000 to raze a building that wasn't in danger of falling down -- unless it was in danger, or they have development plans.

Anyone know what Scranton Averell Inc is up to? This building has a 300k demolition order pending.

That's disappointing. There are only a few interesting buildings left on Scranton Peninsula.

I saw this on the CPC agenda for next week at the corner of Waterloo and E. 156

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/pdf/NE_Design_Review_Agenda_06-13-17.pdf

8:35am 3. NE 2017-020 —15519 Waterloo Rd – Demolition ©

Waterloo Design Review District

Seeking final approval for the proposed demolition of a two story, commercial structure.

Project Representative: Camille Maxwell/Joe Barbaree, Northeast Shores Dev. Corp.

^I've watched that building transition over the years.  It originally went through an exterior rehab back in maybe 2003-2005 but it wasn't done well and the building began to look worse just a couple years later.  If this one comes down, I would hope the corner doesn't have a vacant lot forever.  There's been enough that has been torn down on E. 156th that the street doesn't look the same anymore.

I saw this on the CPC agenda for next week at the corner of Waterloo and E. 156

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/pdf/NE_Design_Review_Agenda_06-13-17.pdf

8:35am 3. NE 2017-020 —15519 Waterloo Rd – Demolition ©

Waterloo Design Review District

Seeking final approval for the proposed demolition of a two story, commercial structure.

Project Representative: Camille Maxwell/Joe Barbaree, Northeast Shores Dev. Corp.

I drive by that building basically every day.  There's zero activity associated with it and if you look at it from the west it doesn't seem structurally sound.  I doubt it's going to be a vacant lot, what with the activity at Classics to its west and Waterloo east of 156th bracketing it, but a lot won't add anything less.

Hell, right now things are so active the owner of the lot behind Callaloo's is starting to charge for parking. 

^I've watched that building transition over the years.  It originally went through an exterior rehab back in maybe 2003-2005 but it wasn't done well and the building began to look worse just a couple years later.  If this one comes down, I would hope the corner doesn't have a vacant lot forever.  There's been enough that has been torn down on E. 156th that the street doesn't look the same anymore.

It actually seems to me like there's a lot of the old commercial district remaining between Waterloo and Lakeshore (I live north of Lakeshore).  Much of it vacant  storefronts or apparently operating but unsigned ones, but even some of the vacant has upstairs residential occupied.  I'm not sure when Fanny's closed, but it seems quite some time ago (I ate there a couple times when up seeing my brother).  It's still there and externally in decent shape. 

Meanwhile Fanny's has been torn down and the above building has a "for sale" sign on it.

What's the average time to tear down a burned out house in Cleveland?

It was two months by me, I was actually a bit surprised it was that fast.

A burned-out house remained on Belmar Road in East Cleveland something like five years.  The worst, most dangerous atrocity in Greater Cleveland is the shell of the former industrial building on Carnegie just east of the complex at the corner of East 55th.  The complex is TOTALLY open to anyone's - and I mean anyone's - walking it (or climbing up an interior feature, etc. and the roofing and many other construction materials could fall down at any time.  I know there are some signs posted right by Carnegie indicating the building is dangers but I think they're about worthless.  I didn't even understand what they meant for years, and I'm sure many others don't.  The building's literally in shambles and, again, is wide open!!!

A burned-out house remained on Belmar Road in East Cleveland something like five years.  The worst, most dangerous atrocity in Greater Cleveland is the shell of the former industrial building on Carnegie just east of the complex at the corner of East 55th.  The complex is TOTALLY open to anyone's - and I mean anyone's - walking it (or climbing up an interior feature, etc. and the roofing and many other construction materials could fall down at any time.  I know there are some signs posted right by Carnegie indicating the building is dangers but I think they're about worthless.  I didn't even understand what they meant for years, and I'm sure many others don't.  The building's literally in shambles and, again, is wide open!!!

That is an old Warner and Swazey building.  It actually looks salvageable compared to the old Westinghouse complex a couple blocks east, south of Cedar along Ashland.  It's across the RR tracks from the old TRW Clarkwood complex (where we sold metal until at least the early 90s), at least the old Clarkwood plant is completely leveled.

Cuyahoga County plans to take back $17 million pledged for demolition

Updated on October 31, 2017 at 12:07 PM Posted on October 30, 2017 at 4:41 PM

By Karen Farkas, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cuyahoga County plans to take back $17 million pledged to fund demolition of blighted properties.

The move, which reneges on a $50 million pledge, is supported by administrators who say that the money is needed to balance the budget and that other federal Hardest Hit demolition funds are available.

It is strongly opposed by leaders of Cleveland's inner-ring suburbs, community organizations and several Cuyahoga County Council members.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/10/cuyahoga_county_plans_to_take_back_17_million_pledged_for_demolition.html#incart_river_home

Sorry to see this building go. On this week's Landmarks Commission agenda is the proposed demolition of Joseph and Feiss Administration Building, 2149 West 53rd Street, Cleveland. Geis Companies is seeking the demolition for an unkown development. One of the pictures was shot from the entrance to the Menlo Park Academy which redeveloped one of the buildings at the Joseph and Feiss clothing factory complex.

22780442_10208579537080764_2470341429704625601_n.jpg?oh=27e78b0e39504f6d0b884ec29e9b97ee&oe=5A6B9753

22780583_10208579536960761_3628257357607352465_n.jpg?oh=5274ed2ca65620d992cdf17f0efef8c8&oe=5AADC3DD

I'd have loved to see it saved, but honestly it's looked silly and out of place since they demolished the middle portion of the complex years ago.  If Geis has something going in there, I'd love to see it and weigh it against the loss.

^Menlo Park Academy owns the building, GEIS works as their contractor.  It's my understanding that the building is falling down on its own and has to go for safety.  There had been talk of it becoming the high school portion of Menlo Park Academy with a Fieldhouse built between it and the main building for continuity.

I would imagine putting a school right next door puts a premium on the "safety" argument.  Can't have kids sneaking out after school or between classes to play in the abandoned factory that is right on school property!

Unfortunately, when we build new communities farther out rather than rebuild old communities closer in (especially in a no-growth metro) everything old eventually gets destroyed, including the so-called protected stuff....

@CLEcitylandmark

3m3 minutes ago

Yesterday, we learned of the demolition of one of Cleveland's historic buildings. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, the Cleveland Home for Aged Colored People, 4807 Cedar Avenue in Ward 5, had recently been gutted by fire and suffered a roof collapse. /1

DXm47caU0AArDCL.jpg

@CLEcitylandmark

3m3 minutes ago

The building had been slowly deteriorating since being abandoned by its owners sometime after 2010. Due to the safety concerns we understand why it came down. For more info on the history of the building: https://www.elizabryant.org/about-the-village/history/ … /end

DXm8pWIX4AUiX15.jpg

DXm8oy2XcAAa_oj.jpg

DXm8xlSWkAACms-.jpg

Too far gone and safety concerns. Pretty much the same crap we always hear when something historic is demolished. My prediction: the property gets transferred to the church or commercial neighbors and converted to parking, which was the goal all along.

Too far gone and safety concerns. Pretty much the same crap we always hear when something historic is demolished. My prediction: the property gets transferred to the church or commercial neighbors and converted to parking, which was the goal all along.

Every time I hear someone say this, I want to shove this before/after photo of Detroit's James Scott Mansion in their face:

0YCdCVuZoJeYJ5m16UaSv-BuclIwIS9Q0jbxLroqalw.jpg?w=536&s=624a75f2d14326d7524220584bfa6868

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

So these two industrial buildings are slated for demolition. They sit just behind the Ferry Cap building.  I seem to recall reading that this may be part of a project involving NEORSD. The owner is listed as Scranton Averell whom I believe also own the Ferry Cap.  I think Scranton Averell indicated at the time the sewer district project may stand in the way of any development at Ferry Cap. Anyone know anything different?

2151 SCRANTON RD

CLEVELAND OH 44113

2111 SCRANTON AVE

CLEVELAND OH 44113

Here is the back story that mentions the Ferry Cap and NEORSD involvement.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170903/news/134256/long-term-trends-revive-development-pulse-scranton-peninsula

Unfortunately, when we build new communities farther out rather than rebuild old communities closer in (especially in a no-growth metro) everything old eventually gets destroyed, including the so-called protected stuff....

@CLEcitylandmark

Always giving me new Twitter follows lol.

This one's interesting:

The Patterson-Sargent Company Canned Paint Warehouse (1917, 1945-6) was designated a #Cleveland Landmark by @CleCityCouncil via Ord. 118-18 on February 26, 2018. They specialized in marine-use paint, with "Hullead" becoming standard use in specialized cargo ships.

Gotta wonder how much lead would be on that site, if someone tried to tear it down.  Does landmark status have any impact on CERCLA?

MOSES CLEAVELAND TREE IN LAKEWOOD TO BE CUT DOWN DOWN THURSDAY

After more than 250 years of growth, the tree will be taken down Thursday morning

Author: Brandon Simmons

Published: 5:53 PM EDT March 21, 2018

Updated: 7:07 AM EDT March 22, 2018

http://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/local/cuyahoga-county/moses-cleaveland-tree-in-lakewood-to-be-cut-down-down-thursday/95-530743751

I didn't know the planetarium dome was demolished. Bummer!! Spent some time there when I was a kid in the 1970s. Equally depressing that it was replaced with another freakin' parking lot....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/04202018/DRAC-agenda04-19-18.pdf

2. Project: DF2018-031: New Parking Infill *

Parking lot infill and expansion at newly demolished planetarium dome.

Project Address: 1440 Lakeside Ave.

Project Representative: Jeff Henderson, Then Design Architecture LTD.

And another one. This building isn't that old. My wife is amazed how much demolition we do in the USA....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/PDF/EC-Agenda4-19-18.pdf

8:00 EC 2018-011 East Bell Commons - demolition (former CIA Bldg,) C

11141 East Blvd.

University Circle District

Chris Panichi, CWRU

Jeffrey Strean, CMA