Sign in to follow this  
Guest bizbiz

Cleveland: Demolition Watch

And another demolition resulting from the continued loss of density. Look at that piece of crap house to the north of it....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1964+E+73rd+St,+Cleveland,+OH+44103/@41.5052454,-81.6378044,3a,75y,230.49h,84.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFo8HJSpkRKLpEQy8IB5_PA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x8830fbafc7626cc1:0x79caad4b0deb986b!8m2!3d41.5050226!4d-81.6380532

1964 E 73RD STREET DEMOLITION

Back Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Euclid Corridor Case #  EC 2018-014

Address: 1964 E 73rd

Company: BD Euclid Ave. LLC

Architect: BD Euclid Ave. LLC

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2776&CASE=EC%202018-014

^Oh man, that is really too bad to see an apartment building come down in Midtown. Sort of surprising, too, given the increasing market viability. Maybe it's in really, really rough shape inside.

^^Wow, very interesting to see the old Gund Hall scheduled for demo. Weird that we wouldn't hear even whispers of grand redevelopment plans if they were in the works, but would not expect Case/CMA to demolish usable space until there was good reason. Hope we hear more soon about this site.

^Oh man, that is really too bad to see an apartment building come down in Midtown. Sort of surprising, too, given the increasing market viability. Maybe it's in really, really rough shape inside.

^^Wow, very interesting to see the old Gund Hall scheduled for demo. Weird that we wouldn't hear even whispers of grand redevelopment plans if they were in the works, but would not expect Case/CMA to demolish usable space until there was good reason. Hope we hear more soon about this site.

Why not?  They're torn down and rebuilt quite a few buildings over the last couple of decades.  Freiberger and Pardee come to mind.

And another one. This building isn't that old. My wife is amazed how much demolition we do in the USA....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/PDF/EC-Agenda4-19-18.pdf

8:00 EC 2018-011 East Bell Commons - demolition (former CIA Bldg,) C

11141 East Blvd.

University Circle District

Chris Panichi, CWRU

Jeffrey Strean, CMA

I believe greenspace is planned for that site, to include the parking lot as well.

I believe greenspace is planned for that site, to include the parking lot as well.

We should find out as soon as photos are posted with the agenda.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/04202018/index.php

And relevant to this thread, the agenda has another 10 structures scheduled for demolition. Over the last couple months there has been more demolition on these agendas than new construction.

And relevant to this thread, the agenda has another 10 structures scheduled for demolition. Over the last couple months there has been more demolition on these agendas than new construction.

Very true.

Demolition is our plan right now.  I'm glad we're seeing some zoning reform and better project proposals in the last couple years, so I'm less worried about the rebuild process than I used to be, but I still think our historic building stock is criminally undervalued.

The photos are up for the planning commission meeting agenda: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/04202018/index.php

As far as I can tell, they don't provide any info about plans for the old CIA site, just info about the demo (and preserving trees- yay)

A few especially depressing demos on this this week.  My beloved retro gas station on East 105th, which needs to make way for another useless lawn; and one of the two mixed use buildings at Kinsman and East 154th that create an unusual symmetrical gateway to 154th: https://bit.ly/2EXA9Bg

The mixed use building on Kinsman is a real loss.  I'm surprised no one has ever been able to leverage the location near the Border of Shaker Heights.  But again Shaker sort of creates a buffer on their border.

The photos are up for the planning commission meeting agenda: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/04202018/index.php

As far as I can tell, they don't provide any info about plans for the old CIA site, just info about the demo (and preserving trees- yay)

The last page shows the entire site as green space. With potential location of future buildings.

East_Bell_Commons_IMG_18.jpg

East_Bell_Commons_IMG_20.jpg

East_Bell_Commons_IMG_21.jpg

^Good catch. I didn't see that the new space was its own subsmission separate from the demo request. I guess it really was just time to pull the plug on the old building, even with no new use lined up.

Also, the plans for the new development on East 105th suggest the "future park" that will replace the gas station building might be more than just another lawn, even if that's all the demo approval promises. Good chance it's just rendering bluster, but hopefully it can be turned into a useful space.  The demo request also suggests there are USTs and soil contamination (no surprise), so demo and clean up are probably the only practical option.

Over the last couple months there has been more demolition on these agendas than new construction.

To emphasize Mendo's point, look at this list of Design-Review cases for

Northeast -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?D=NE

Southeast -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?pageNum_rsBRD=0&totalRows_rsBRD=310&D=SE

East -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?D=EAST

The other five design districts all have many more renovations and some new construction than demolitions. The east side, except for the Euclid Corridor (which includes UC), continues to empty out.

Shame to see this happening.  Seems like major bookings have been scarce there for a long time.  Looking through that PD retrospective, one might believe the place closed down 20 years ago.

It bugs me that neither Lakewood nor Cleveland has done anything to promote this stretch of Detroit and all its concert clubs.  It's not too late, most of them are still there.  Let's do it. 

Shame to see this happening.  Seems like major bookings have been scarce there for a long time.  Looking through that PD retrospective, one might believe the place closed down 20 years ago.

It bugs me that neither Lakewood nor Cleveland has done anything to promote this stretch of Detroit and all its concert clubs.  It's not too late, most of them are still there.  Let's do it. 

Live shows are nowhere near as important to the music scene as they were in the pre-internet age.  It may just be supersaturation.

The old Parmadale orphanage complex is coming down to create a large park in the center of the suburb.

https://www.cleveland.com/parma/index.ssf/2018/07/cuyahoga_county_awards_13_mill.html

Also, saw this in the article:

The (Parma) Board of Control's recently awarded funding amount also includes the demolition of four blighted Parma properties located at 7259 Ridge Road, 11599 Kader Ave., 4418 Pershing Ave. and 7407 Dorothy Ave

Haven't had a chance to look to see if any of those properties are little gems.

Note: Looks like this belong in the Beyond the 3 C's: Demolition. My bad. Mods feel free to move.

Live shows are nowhere near as important to the music scene as they were in the pre-internet age.  It may just be supersaturation.

Sure, but places like Nashville and Austin still use it as the centerpiece of their appeal.  I would say that climate, plus investment in the Rock Hall and the image surrounding it, makes live music venues even more important for Cleveland.

Sure, but places like Nashville and Austin still use it as the centerpiece of their appeal.  I would say that climate, plus investment in the Rock Hall and the image surrounding it, makes live music venues even more important for Cleveland.

Yet the City of Cleveland makes it as difficult as anywhere for live music with admissions taxes and withholding on non-resident artists. 

Yet the City of Cleveland makes it as difficult as anywhere for live music with admissions taxes and withholding on non-resident artists. 

^This.

^^Having some clubs is certainly important.  But the numbers are never going to be close to the same.  Closing will outnumber openings and places that are set up to host will only end up doing so rarely.  If ever.  We used to, but it does not pay for itself and has not for some time.

Recent demolition from last year on woodland near the E55th intersection, I'm not sure if this was already posted on here but it was one of the last pieces of the E55th and Woodland intersection.

IMG_4321.JPG

Cross-posted in the housing market thread. Glas to see the abandonment/vacated housing has dropped significantly...