October:

2018: 789,682

2019: 808,127

Var: +2.3%

YTD

2018: 7,488,979

2019: 7,674,445

Var: +2.5%

October pax numbers just came in. October came in with solid YoY growth compared to August and September which were nearly flat to LY. This looks like it could be a very busy holiday season for CVG. Assuming YoY passenger numbers continue to grow at around 2.5%, CVG should end 2019 with a shade under 9.1MM passengers.

Delta has restarted their CVG-PHX seasonal nonstop and Allegiant will start flying to PBI here later in the month so we'll see how those flights shake out once we get data for November. American's flight to PHX won't start until December so we won't get a read on the performance of that flight for a while.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:24 AM, Cleveland Trust said:

So what?  I hear it only takes a 30-day notice to the FAA to close an airport. 30 days to freedom. 

Try 30 years! It's not an easy task.

New study ranks how expensive overall it is to use CVG

In addition to much lower airfares than a decade ago, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is more affordable than most when other costs like parking and a cup of coffee are factored in, according to a new study.

The Points Guy travel website ranked the nation’s 50 busiest airports and found CVG is the 17th cheapest. McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas was the cheapest, while Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, N.J. was the most expensive.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/14/new-study-ranks-how-expensive-overall-it-is-to-use.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

CVG’s newest low-cost flight launches

neworleans2fin%20copy.jpg

Frontier Airlines launched a new seasonal route on Friday that makes it the most active ultra-low-cost carrier at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Frontier is now offering service to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport with introductory fares as low as $29. The new route brings Frontier’s offerings to 21 destinations from CVG.

CVG representatives took the inaugural flight to New Orleans to deliver a taste of Ohio beer and Kentucky bourbon, while New Orleans leaders sent a gift on the return flight.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/18/cvg-s-newest-low-cost-flight-launches.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

New low-cost CVG flight launches

West-Palm-Beach-Skyline-City-Buildings-1

A new flight from Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport launched on Monday.

Allegiant Air is now offering year-round service twice weekly to West Palm Beach, Fla.

The low-cost carrier is offering introductory one-way fares for as low as $43.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/26/new-low-cost-cvg-flight-launches.html

CVG gets millions more in grants

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport will be able to rehabilitate two taxiways and connect them after the U.S. Department of Transportation awarded it a $6.1 million grant.

The new grant is in addition to a $5.5 million award already received by CVG.

CVG got one of the discretionary federal airport improvement grants. They fund runways, taxiways, airport signs and lighting.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/26/cvg-gets-millions-more-in-grants.html

More Direct International Flights On CVG's Holiday Wish List

https://www.wvxu.org/post/more-direct-international-flights-cvgs-holiday-wish-list

In its heyday, the Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport saw Delta offer 670 daily flights with direct service to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Rome and Paris, as WVXU reported. But that was 2005. That year, Delta declared bankruptcy and reduced service at its one-time hub. Today, CVG just has one of those transatlantic flights here and it's to Paris.

Irish Ambassador Daniel Mulhall told WVXU's Michael Monks in an interview for Cincinnati Edition that he met with McGraw this week to discuss getting a direct Aer Lingus flight from CVG to Dublin.

"Dublin's now become a hub for European countries," Mulhall says. "You can transit to Dublin to every capitol city in Europe now very conveniently on our national carrier. They have 22 routes into the United States and I'm hoping Cincinnati might be included in their plans for the future as well."

Aer Lingus now has 4 A321LRs in its fleet with 4 more lease options on order. They currently are configured with a 184 seat (16 Biz, 168 Econ) layout and have more than enough range to make the ~3,200nm flight to Dublin from CVG. They also have 6 A321XLRs on order which should be delivered in 2023-2024. 

This would be a good test of load factors to a continental European destination. Assuming the article's figures represent passengers flying out of CVG, there is a roughly 500 pax/day demand to Europe meaning that there is probably room for a couple daily flights in addition to Delta's CVG-CDG flight.

Wow that be a kick in the balls to the Cleveland folks who have been trying to get Aer Lingus for a couple years now. Not saying we have a better chance but our airport team seems to have a fighting chance.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:38 PM, LtCheese said:

This would be a good test of load factors to a continental European destination.

Not that it matters to the rest of what you said, but Ireland is not considered "continental Europe." I guess you could consider it "more continental" than Iceland, which is my best guess at what you were thinking.

1 hour ago, Robuu said:

Not that it matters to the rest of what you said, but Ireland is not considered "continental Europe." I guess you could consider it "more continental" than Iceland, which is my best guess at what you were thinking.

Maybe they were referencing more the Schengen Area? Which allows travel to other Schengen areas without passport control and customs.

EDIT: Just realized Ireland isn't in the Schengen Area. nevermind.

I really should have put "continental Europe" in quotes haha. But in that vein, Aer Lingus does have a pretty strong onward connecting network. Dublin is also unique in that it has a US border preclearance facility.

In my experience, "continental" is most often used as a means of separating the British Isles (including Ireland) from the rest of Europe. The term excludes other islands as well, but the British Isles are the most populous and economically significant part of Europe which isn't part of continental Europe.

American Airlines Seasonal Flight to PHX Starts

https://www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2019/12/18/american-airlines-now-offers-seasonal-service-from-cvg-to-phoenix

AA is starting their seasonal nonstop to PHX. This flight runs from 12/18/19 - 4/6/20 and is operated by an A319. 

After a quick check of Google Flights, prices to PHX from CVG are pretty cheap through the holiday season due to competition with the Delta nonstop. For reference, that flight is operated with a larger A321.

CVG Passenger Stats for November

November:

2018: 707,672

2019: 710,816

Var: +0.4%

YTD:

2018: 8,196,651

2019: 8,385,261

Var: +2.3%

November came in nearly flat to LY with just a ~2,800 passenger growth vs. 2018. This represents the lowest Month over Month growth since April. Part of this could be due to the late Thanksgiving meaning that only two travel days followed the holiday in the month of November.

In any event, we will see how the rest of the holiday season plays out. As I mentioned above, AA just launched its nonstop to PHX in time for the holidays and the new Allegiant flight to PBI should see some strong December demand as well.

Be sure to leave a little extra time if you're flying around Christmas!

Odd choice. Lots of Elvis fans in Cincy?

The tourism folks should jump on this and put out some commercials and billboards in Memphis advertising Cincy.

1 hour ago, Robuu said:

Odd choice. Lots of Elvis fans in Cincy?

The tourism folks should jump on this and put out some commercials and billboards in Memphis advertising Cincy.

It definitely seems like an odd choice, but it's only a twice weekly seasonal flight. I wonder if they are using it more as a re-positioning flight to get a plane to Memphis for a higher volume route, given that CVG is one of their main airports and they have a few planes based there.  

CVG Passenger Stats for December

December:

2018: 668,917

2019: 718,487

Var: +7.4%

YTD

2018: 8,865,568

2019: 9,103,554

Var: +2.7%

CVG just released its December passenger numbers and they were massive. Dec 2019 saw 50,000 more passengers pass through CVG compared to 2018 which is a huge 7.4% increase YoY. This takes the final passenger numbers for 2019 up to 9,103,554, up nearly 2.7% vs. LY. Having flown into and out of CVG twice this holiday season, I can confirm it was humming. 

This is great news for the airport and hopefully this leads to another strong year in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised to see Delta upgrade its Phoenix nonstop to year-round and in that case, American would likely follow suit. Other routes to keep an eye on would be Delta to Austin and possibly an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin. 

**To clarify the CVG-AUS Delta route, it is currently operated by a CRJ9 and with Delta expanding in Austin, I wouldn't be surprised to see this upgauged to a mainline flight on a B717.

Edited by LtCheese
  • Like 3

No press release but starting in the first week of June, DL will be increasing the CVG-RDU frequency to 3x daily. They (Endeavour) currently operate a CRJ200 and a CRJ700 on the route but a second CRJ2 will be added.

Google Flights shows this additional frequency starting 6/8 but obviously subject to change. 

1 hour ago, LtCheese said:

No press release but starting in the first week of June, DL will be increasing the CVG-RDU frequency to 3x daily. They (Endeavour) currently operate a CRJ200 and a CRJ700 on the route but a second CRJ2 will be added.

Google Flights shows this additional frequency starting 6/8 but obviously subject to change. 

Now if only they would just increase the ORD route to a CRJ7 OR 9  Alot of folks would be happy. Not sure what numbers Delta is looking at but the flight is constantly oversold especially the morning flight time. 

10 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

Now if only they would just increase the ORD route to a CRJ7 OR 9  Alot of folks would be happy. Not sure what numbers Delta is looking at but the flight is constantly oversold especially the morning flight time. 

Oh wow I didn't realize every flight was a CRJ2. Yikes. I wonder if that might change since UA is flying the CRJ550s to ORD now. Obviously the 550 is still a "50 seat" jet, the more premium heavy layout might force DL to move to CRJ7 or 9 to take advantage of the increase in premium seats.

7 hours ago, LtCheese said:

Oh wow I didn't realize every flight was a CRJ2. Yikes. I wonder if that might change since UA is flying the CRJ550s to ORD now. Obviously the 550 is still a "50 seat" jet, the more premium heavy layout might force DL to move to CRJ7 or 9 to take advantage of the increase in premium seats.

With United cutting mainline to Chicago, Delta needs to set up and fill the void. The business community will fill the seats. 

Big changes coming to CVG food, drink offerings

DonutBox_600x460.png

Goodbye Starbucks, hello Dunkin’ Donuts.

The Kenton County Airport Board, which oversees the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, approved a new 10-year contract for major food and beverage providers at the airport, and travelers will notice some significant changes.

Currently, there are four Starbucks at CVG. The new contract with SSP America will reduce that number to two and add two Dunkin’ Donuts franchises. The Starbucks locations that will be replaced are in Concourse A and the west side of Concourse B. That will leave one Starbucks in the main terminal before security and a second at the top of the escalator to Concourse B.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/01/21/big-changes-coming-to-cvg-food-drink-offerings.html

SSP won the contract after the existing operator, HMS Host, did not bid, according to CVG CEO Candace McGraw.

HMS Host is everywhere; why wouldn't they bid?

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Airfares at CVG Remain Lowest in Region

The U.S. Department of Transportation released its average airfare ranking report for third quarter 2019, and the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) once again has the lowest airfares in the region.

CVG ranked #80 – average fare $314

Columbus (CMH) ranked #49 – average fare $359

Indianapolis (IND) ranked #46 – average fare $360

Louisville (SDF) ranked #36 – average fare $377

Dayton (DAY) ranked #3 – average fare $445

It's crazy to see the fares at DAY. They have seen pretty significant cuts in capacity over the past couple of years and it shows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cygnus said:

HMS Host is everywhere; why wouldn't they bid?

HMS Host has operated almost every restaurant at the airport for at least the last twenty years and they are downright horrible. Which makes me glad they didn't place a bid.

17 hours ago, savadams13 said:

🤮 Dunkin has to be the worst new vendor coming to CVG. Bad decision by the airport board. There coffee might be ok but the food just plain awful. 

I disagree completely.  When it comes to Dunkin and Starbucks, most visit for coffee or specialty drinks, not food.  Dunkin coffee is light years better than Starbucks and also usually cheaper.  Too bad I no longer work at CVG, I was always wanted a Dunkin there. (There was one out in C Concourse for a few years back in the mid 2000's but didn't survive the Delta downsizing.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LtCheese said:

It's crazy to see the fares at DAY. They have seen pretty significant cuts in capacity over the past couple of years and it shows.

Furthermore, most of those cuts were the removal of a fairly low cost option in Southwest. Now, they are left with only a handful of seasonal flights from a low-cost airline with Allegiant. 

CVG's low average fare is obviously driven by the fact that Allegiant and Frontier both use it as a "focus" city. CMH's average would probably be a bit lower if Allegiant were flying there instead of LCK, but I can't imagine it would bump it down too much. 

It would be interesting to see how the averages would compare if you exclude the ultra low cost (Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant) airlines from the equation. That measurement would be more useful in terms of determining the average cost of business travel. 

CVG sets new yearly record

0070-d2918fc15056a34_d29190e9-5056-a348-

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport set a new record for the number of local passengers it served in 2019, topping the previous mark, which was set in 2018.

In 2019, 4,336,775 passengers originating from CVG flew from the airport, an increase of 4.2% over 2018.

Low-cost carriers Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines and Southwest Airlines have been driving passenger growth at CVG for the last six years. The airport now gets 28% of its traffic from low-cost carriers compared with 72% from the legacy airlines. The change has driven down airfares and continues to bring local passengers back to the market.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/01/22/cvg-sets-new-yearly-record.html

36 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

CVG sets new yearly record

0070-d2918fc15056a34_d29190e9-5056-a348-

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport set a new record for the number of local passengers it served in 2019, topping the previous mark, which was set in 2018.

In 2019, 4,336,775 passengers originating from CVG flew from the airport, an increase of 4.2% over 2018.

Low-cost carriers Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines and Southwest Airlines have been driving passenger growth at CVG for the last six years. The airport now gets 28% of its traffic from low-cost carriers compared with 72% from the legacy airlines. The change has driven down airfares and continues to bring local passengers back to the market.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/01/22/cvg-sets-new-yearly-record.html

image.png.6ca88188252573f25fb36ebb40a98251.png

Be careful what you believe as stats tend to say whatever the presenter wants them to say.  Passenger traffic at CVG actually peaked in the early 2000s, at more than double the current traffic counts.

Edited by thesenator

As it clearly states they broke the record for local passengers, aka passengers originating from CVG.  They had a lot more total passengers back in the Delta hub days but that was due to a huge number of layovers who were simply flying through CVG.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richNcincy said:

I disagree completely.  When it comes to Dunkin and Starbucks, most visit for coffee or specialty drinks, not food.  Dunkin coffee is light years better than Starbucks and also usually cheaper.  Too bad I no longer work at CVG, I was always wanted a Dunkin there. (There was one out in C Concourse for a few years back in the mid 2000's but didn't survive the Delta downsizing.)

Have to agree to disagree with you. I travel weekly for work and at least Starbucks has healthy on the go food options. I don't feel like complete sh*t after eating food at Starbucks like Dunkin.

Yeah, no one is saying this is the same number of passengers as when it was a hub.  

It's a pretty stark turnaround though.  They've really picked up the pace from the dark days of 2012-2013.  Good growth so far, and if they can maintain it, you can envision CVG handling ten million passengers a year, which would be a great recovery.  

17 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

It would be interesting to see how the averages would compare if you exclude the ultra low cost (Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant) airlines from the equation. That measurement would be more useful in terms of determining the average cost of business travel. 

Agreed. Delta and Endeavour account for about 40% of the traffic out of CVG with the non-ULCCs making up about 36%. There is also a decent amount of competition on many routes between legacy carriers and/or SWA.

10 hours ago, jdm00 said:

It's a pretty stark turnaround though.  They've really picked up the pace from the dark days of 2012-2013.  Good growth so far, and if they can maintain it, you can envision CVG handling ten million passengers a year, which would be a great recovery.  

I think 10MM pax/year is more than reasonable within 2 years. Increased frequencies and upgauging alone would go a long way towards that and that is to say nothing of new routes/airlines.

Obviously the people using ULCCs aren't all going to go to a different airport or not fly. Some would have used Delta, United, etc. The numbers would certainly be lower, but some of those trips would happen.