Guest OTR

Cincinnati: Before and After Photos of Over-the-Rhine

Ugh cities should ban satellite dishes on the fronts of buildings.

My house came with a dish network dish on the front...it's staying there until somebody forces me to take it down.  It will be hilarious if it's still up there in 50 years. 

That building was last painted around 1998.  It looked great for about ten years. 

The red OTR Adopt building at the corder of Vine and Findlay was just repainted gray last weekend.  I hope they aren't finished because it definitely does not look as good grey as it did red. 

This transformation is absolutely incredible, slightly makes me jealous! A neighborhood in Cleveland that could benefit from a transformation such as this is E.105th street all the way down to superior and/or the East Blvd. neighborhood. It would connect a once dilapidated neighborhood to University Circle. Carry on though you lucky dogs.

This transformation is absolutely incredible, slightly makes me jealous! A neighborhood in Cleveland that could benefit from a transformation such as this is E.105th street all the way down to superior and/or the East Blvd. neighborhood. It would connect a once dilapidated neighborhood to University Circle. Carry on though you lucky dogs.

What have we completed in OTR is probably at 30% of what is still left to be done. OTR is a really large neighborhood (especially if you include the Mohawk district, and Pendelton into the mix). There's so much more of OTR still left to be renovated. But that's what excites me I guess. When it's all said and done and completed it will become an international travel destination. I can almost guarantee it.

There's nothing left in the Midwest that has the size and scope of OTR. The weight that a fully revitalized OTR (and hopefully one day old west end as well) is absolutely huge. This neighborhood has the potential to put not just Cincinnati on the map for locals and Americans alike, but internationally as well.

Neighborhoods like OTR are constantly disappearing in other cities in America. Look at St. Louis for instance as a prime example of this. Even Chicago is experiencing a huge influx of demolition. There's a huge expressed interest to knock away anything old, for something new. So the fact you still have a dense neighborhood that was built in the 19th century and still remains today is pretty huge.

The reason why we visit Europe is to experience it's architecture. We want to visit it's old town, and be swarmed by that atmosphere of it's history. OTR is the equivalent of that IMO. It will be on the same "must see" cities like NYC/Boston/Charleston/San Fran/Philly/New Orleans that European travelers will travel to to experience "America". And to be, there's no better example of America and it's history of it's architecture than in OTR.

I know I might be a gushing a bit to much, so I apoligize. But to me OTR has so much potential for the future of this city. A fully revitalized OTR with shops/bars/restaurants/housing/etc from south of liberty, to north of liberty, all the way to pendelton and mohawk just gives me the shivers quite honestly.

I know I might be a gushing a bit to much, so I apoligize. But to me OTR has so much potential for the future of this city. A fully revitalized OTR with shops/bars/restaurants/housing/etc from south of liberty, to north of liberty, all the way to pendelton and mohawk just gives me the shivers quite honestly.

Don't apologize; OTR is a gem.

Nope. They enclosed the public plaza and parked some generators in there.

The lesser known closing lyric in Big Yellow Taxi after  'they paved paradise & put up a parking lot'. :-D

^Those are really great.  It'd be awesome if Streetsblog or some other national publication picked this up and ran it.  OTR's turn around is among the most dramatic in the country, and I would love to see it receive a bit more national attention. The visuals alone are super compelling.

That's fantastic.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Is the yellow building with the billboard atop the roof slated to be rehabbed as well by the Model Group? Just seems strange that the entire block looks rehabbed, except the yellow building with it's windows still bricked in...unless they just haven't gotten to it yet.

I think they're using the yellow building as a construction office right now, so it might not be rehabbed until most of the rest of the project is complete. I think they also were wanting to turn it into condos, so it might be a little more built-to-suit than the rest of the buildings.

If I remember correctly apartments (or was it condos?) were also part of the plan for the upper stories of the findley market buildings. Has that been pushed to Phase 2, or is that a later part of phase 1?

Thanks for the awesome photos, Travis.

Findlay is going to be really alive, once these phases are completed and tenants move into the retail spaces. 

it's funny... is that the same silver/gold pick-up truck and black sedan? haha

The truck is probably the same, but the top pic's sedan is a Pontiac whereas the bottom's is a VW.

it's funny... is that the same silver/gold pick-up truck and black sedan? haha

The truck is probably the same, but the top pic's sedan is a Pontiac whereas the bottom's is a VW.

not the same truck either... but still pretty funny.

I seriously can't keep up with the changes any more. It's a completely different neighborhood now, and it's crazy that there's still so much to go.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Love these before / afters Travis.

Will be great to see the Meiners and Rosco buildings before / after.  It looks like they are going to get moving on it quick because on the website they have it completed for Winter 2018.

Also, that building on Elm is my favorite building in OTR.  I've gone by it so many times and always wished I owned it...

Love these before / afters Travis.

Will be great to see the Meiners and Rosco buildings before / after.  It looks like they are going to get moving on it quick because on the website they have it completed for Winter 2018.

Also, that building on Elm is my favorite building in OTR.  I've gone by it so many times and always wished I owned it...

It looks like they will start on Elm Industries and Rosco first with Meiners a few months off from starting. If its Winter of 2018 I will say its likely to be December 30. Ha.

In all seriousness, these will most likely be done in Spring of 2019 at the earliest.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah unless they are in much better shape than they look (and I really doubt that) winter 2018 seems like a bit of a stretch.

BUT, it's going to an awesome group of projects. That's a ton of daily activity that will be added in a really short period of time. And it's all close enough to Liberty that it'll push even more to cross that boundary with development.