Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

Cleveland Rapid Rail Construction Projects (Non-Service Issues)

Is that the official opening? I ask because it sounds like the new station opened  for use by passengers yesterday....

The new E 55 Station will open for the start of service on Monday, August 22, 2011.

From: http://www.riderta.com/ridersalerts/list/?listingid=1595

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I happen to drive by Monday night (about 10:00 pm) and it looked very open to me.

Now let's get moving on the University Circle station.

^ During the closure, some track work had to be adjusted, so trains could stop at the new station instead of the old.

There is still preparation work being done at the new station, but it is far enough long so people can use it.

So, like I said beore, "yes, it is nearly done." A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held in September. The exact date has not been set.

The new RTA Cedar-University Rapid Transit Station was on the Landmarks Commission agenda for Aug. 25. The project has to go through Landmarks since part of the station is in the Little Italy Historic District...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2011/08252011/index.php

Some of the graphics at the above link reveal its revolutionary design. I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion!......

RTA_Univ_Cedar_01.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_02.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_03.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_04.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_05.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_06.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_07.jpg

The existing station:

RTA_Univ_Cedar_14.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_15.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_18.jpg

The planned station:

RTA_Univ_Cedar_17.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_23.jpg

Is there now a continuous covered walkway from the bus stop to the station?  Does not look like that is the case in the new design.  Still, I like it.  I hope this project moves along on schedule.

I like that the orange color really makes the station POP out at you and gives the area some color especially in the Winter months. Hopefully the color, or something as "loud" as it makes it through review and to construction.

The new RTA Cedar-University Rapid Transit Station was on the Landmarks Commission agenda for Aug. 25. The project has to go through Landmarks since part of the station is in the Little Italy Historic District...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2011/08252011/index.php

Some of the graphics at the above link reveal its revolutionary design. I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion!......

FYI, these designs (more or less) were first revealed three years ago and we all (including you :) )weighed in in this thread: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,6956.0.html  ...might be best to consolidate discussion there.

how about a little retail at the site (fronting the street) like a deli or so, so people can grab a hot coffee or snack while waiting for the train or bus. Our rapid stations are so isolated from the areas they serve. Ironically, you usually have to walk through or past a parking lot to get to them.

FYI, these designs (more or less) were first revealed three years ago and we all (including you :) )weighed in in this thread: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,6956.0.html  ...might be best to consolidate discussion there.

Thanks! I thought I had posted them in the Rapid Rail Construction thread. I didn't realize I'd posted them in the general RTA thread until you pointed it out. Thanks again!

how about a little retail at the site (fronting the street) like a deli or so, so people can grab a hot coffee or snack while waiting for the train or bus. Our rapid stations are so isolated from the areas they serve. Ironically, you usually have to walk through or past a parking lot to get to them.

Good idea. But then I also think a bathroom is warranted at some stations, too. If someone has some horrible visions of what they could end up looking like after some weekends, there are self-contained toilets where the whole room gets washed down automatically. See: http://www.localexpression.com/street_furniture.html#street_toilets

This is a self-cleaning public toilet, and it might also make certain RTA station elevators smell a little better too........

In Seattle:

seattletoilet.jpg

In San Francisco:

img_0558.jpg

In New York City:

2008_01_toilet2.jpg

Is there any planning being developed for a major rehab of the Red Line's Tokyu cars, as was recently done for the Blue/Green Line's Breda cars?

Of course, my preference is for a standardized fleet for all rail lines -- including having the ability to operate as a dual-mode vehicle so the trains can operate "cordless."

This is a "cordless" Stadler GTW now operating in Austin, Texas (imagine this on the West Shore Corridor out to Lorain County or on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad) and will operate soon from Denton to Carrollton to connect with Dallas' Green Line (Stadler is willing to open a US plant near to wherever a large order is made):

800px-Leander1.jpg

Here is an electrically-powered Stadler GTW, operating on the Seetalbahn interurban railway in Lenzburg, Switzerland. This interurban is like the many electric railways that criss-crossed Ohio prior to the Great Depression:

swi_sbb_rbe520nr009_seetalbahn_stadler_gtw2-8_lenzburg_2003_600.jpg

I can think of six ready-to-go, sustainabile transportation projects in Greater Cleveland that could be elevated to "high priority":

+ Airport Red Line Tunnel restoration

+ Brookpark Rapid Station completion

+ Little Italy-Mayfield-East 120 Rapid Station replacement

+ Blue Line Extension/Warrensville Intermodal Station/Transit Oriented Development project

+ Lee-Van Aken Rapid Station replacement

+ Red Line S-Curve rehabilitation

August 31, 2011

Obama urges Congress to extend surface transportation bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. — President Barack Obama urged lawmakers to extend legislation to fund highways and mass transit projects, stressing that a failure to do so will cost thousands of construction jobs and delay needed infrastructure repairs, according to Bloomberg.

Obama also directed the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Interior, Transportation and Housing and Urban Development to each select three "high-priority" construction projects already funded that can be completed within 18 months.

The current surface transportation bill extension expires at the end of September.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2011/08/Obama-urges-Congress-to-extend-surface-transportation-bill.aspx

I finally made my way over to East 55th Street to get some pictures of the new station. They and pictures of Greater Cleveland's three newly rebuilt/relocated/expanded stations that opened this year are posted at:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,26251.msg576089.html#msg576089

Here's a sampling.....

East 55th:

Clevelandtransit-090411002s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411004s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411015s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411007s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411014s.jpg

Puritas:

Clevelandtransit-090411037-Puritas-s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411055s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411043s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411054-crop-s.jpg

All Aboard Ohio's latest newsletter, the Ohio Passenger Rail News, will have a large feature on the GCRTA's rail capital improvement program (and recent transit capital investments including the HealthLine) as well as their impacts on influencing real estate developments. Here is a sample:

Other current major rail transit projects in Greater Cleveland:

Light Rail Trunk Line Turn-Outs – GCRTA has been replacing aging track hardware at 18 switches on the Blue/Green Line between Shaker Square and East 55th Street for about $2 million.

Heavy Rail Vehicle Overhauls – The Tokyu fleet operating on the Red Line is more than 25 years old and is undergoing a $3.9 million rehabilitation.

Rail Infrastructure Upgrade Program - This project provides $1.6 million for the acquisition of equipment and materials required to upgrade the infrastructure of all three GCRTA rail lines.

Waterfront Line Chute Track Repairs – About $600,000 is being spent to repair concrete plinths that support the outbound track from Tower City Center into the Flats.

Shaker Heights Crossing Upgrades – This $2.8 million project is the first of three phases to replace a total of 12 at-grade road-rail crossings on the Blue/Green Lines.

Fairhill Substation Rehab – This $3 million project will upgrade the building and modernize outdated equipment at the 57-year-old electrical substation for the Red Line near University Circle.

Blue/Green Line Signals – This $8.5 million project will replace an aging signal system on the trunk line between Shaker Square and East 55th Street. The new, safer system will include cab signals and better communications to reduce headways between trains.

Rail Bridge Rehabilitations – GCRTA has $12.7 million in hand for the rehabilitation of five track bridges and related structures at various locations throughout the rail system including the Cuyahoga Valley viaduct.

Rail improvement projects completed in the past year include:

Woodhill-East 93rd Blue/Green Line Station – This was a $3.2 million rehabilitation of a single-level station facility.

Puritas-West 150th Red Line Station – This was an $8.5 million station rehabilitation that replaced a dank passenger tunnel with a glass-enclosed overhead walkway.

Rockefeller Bridge Demolition – For $1.8 million, GCRTA demolished a long-closed street over its joint Red/Blue/Green lines and relocated the bridge’s waterline and communication ducts.

WoodhillStation1s.jpg

MayfieldRd-station2s.jpg

PuritasRTAstationconstruction2009s.jpg

PuritasRTAstationconstruction121409s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411046s.jpg

To subscribe to the Ohio Passenger Rail News, please go to:

http://allaboardohio.org/join-us/pay-on-line-2/

Wow that Mayfield Station is going to be something else when it gets done!  :clap:

pretty sure mayfield is back to the drawing board and due to costs, there will be only one head house with a center platform, as opposed to the 2 platform, 2 head house drawing above from 2009.  i also don't think the existing stairwell will be used.

GREAT NEWS!!! The last I read, the station itself was projected to cost $9 million, so perhaps this could include some extras such as walkways to planned development, especially on the west side of the station.....

RTA wins $12.5 million grant for new rapid station at Mayfield and East 119th

Published: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 10:03 AM    Updated: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 11:40 AM

By Tom Breckenridge, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority has landed a $12.5 million grant to build a new rapid station at Mayfield Road and East 119th Street, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown's office reported today.

The U.S. Department of Transportation announced the award this morning. It's among dozens of projects nationwide competing for the agency's Tiger III grants to enhance the nation's infrastructure.

RTA is designing the glassy Red Line station with help and input from Little Italy, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Foundation and others.

READ MORE AT:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/12/post_545.html

MayfieldRd-station2s.jpg

Redirected from the general UC thread in projects/construction.....

Anyone know what is the overall cost of the station?  It wasn't in the article

The last figure I saw was $9 million, but that didn't include some walkways, etc.

And what's the projected date of completion?

Probably two years, based on the other station projects. Might take a little less since an existing station doesn't have to be demolished to make way for the new station. The timeline for the East 55th station is probably a good indication since the station was built in a new location and then the old station could be demolished. Problem is, I don't remember the timeline of the East 55th station....

I hope the design looks more like the one you posted, KJP, and not the one from the article.  I hate the big green areas RTA is using in their design (such as the UC station design).  Are they supposed to be "faux-grass" surfaces (even the vertical ones) or something?

I hope the design looks more like the one you posted, KJP, and not the one from the article.  I hate the big green areas RTA is using in their design (such as the UC station design).  Are they supposed to be "faux-grass" surfaces (even the vertical ones) or something?

The big green areas in the rendering was a design concept RTA planners were pushing to create a plaza-like setting above the tracks without providing any detail of features (ie: benches, landscaping, public art, etc) to include on the plaza. Ultimately, the overhead plaza proved to be too expensive and no funding support was available. But I credit RTA planners for thinking creatively to push the design envelope and encourage others to think creatively.

My hope is that this station will have two station platforms (and thus, two elevators and two stairwells) rather than having to spread apart the existing Red Line tracks to fit a single-platform station in between. I'm not sure which would cost more, however. But spreading Red Line tracks would certainly add more time to the construction period.

Perhaps Jerry can add more cost, timeline, design features, etc. details on this project.

The big green areas in the rendering was a design concept RTA planners were pushing to create a plaza-like setting above the tracks without providing any detail of features (ie: benches, landscaping, public art, etc) to include on the plaza. Ultimately, the overhead plaza proved to be too expensive and no funding support was available. But I credit RTA planners for thinking creatively to push the design envelope and encourage others to think creatively.

I'm glad they're thinking creatively, too.  But I was hoping this wouldn't become the new fad.  The UC station design incorporates a "grass roof" sort of idea, and I think it looks awful (in the renderings at least).

I'm glad they're thinking creatively, too.  But I was hoping this wouldn't become the new fad.  The UC station design incorporates a "grass roof" sort of idea, and I think it looks awful (in the renderings at least).

Here's a 150-page masterplan for the station-area development....

http://www.riderta.com/majorprojects/e120/GCRTA%20Little%20Italy%20E120th%20Station%20Master%20Plan.pdf

Below is what they had in mind with the overhead plaza (the "Bridge Park"), but it's been hard enough just to get the $9 million for the basic station. I'd like to learn more about the final station cost, and what the $12 million in awarded funds will buy....

e120_bridgelevel_842x630.jpg

Here's a 150-page masterplan for the station-area development....

I was talking about the Cedar Rd. station (UC station) design.  I'm aware of the grassy plaza design for the LI station (where's it's actually usable, not a "roof").

A press release with more details may be posted later today at www.rideRTA.com. We are working to finalize the finances, and hope to start construction in late 2012. That's all I know for now. I will post the release as soon as I can.

I was talking about the Cedar Rd. station (UC station) design.  I'm aware of the grassy plaza design for the LI station (where's it's actually usable, not a "roof").

Yes, understood. Except I was responding more to the first part of your statement and then took the opportunity to add a link to a plan that many of us either have not seen or may have forgotten was conducted, since the hot news of the day is the UC-Little Italy station.

$12.5 million grant announced for Mayfield Station

CLEVELAND - The holidays have come early for the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA), with the award of a $12.5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation, via the Federal Transit Administration.

RTA officials were informed today of the award, under the TIGER III program, as part of their grant funding program for National Infrastructure Investments. TIGER stands for: Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery.

The money is designated for the Mayfield Road Red Line Rapid Transit Station, which will replace the current station at East 120th Street Station and Euclid Avenue on the Red Line. The new station will be several blocks away, and closer to Little Italy.

The entire cost of the project is $17.5 million, which includes the design, construction of the station and rehabilitating two transit track bridges. The design is now 30 percent complete.

RTA hopes to begin construction on this station in late 2012. Last year, RTA received a TIGER II grant for $10.5 million, which completed funding needed for the University Circle station.

Does RTA have the other $5 million? Are those or will they be non-federal funds?

This article: 

Cleveland Turns Uptown into New Downtown:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/realestate/commercial/cleveland-ignites-job-growth-with-rebuilding-project.html?_r=1

States the following:

"To get residents and visitors to and from the arts district, the Regional Transit Authority is planning to move two existing rail stops on the city’s 19-mile Red Line closer to Uptown"

Is a station in addition to E 120 being moved?  Or is this an error?

^seems to be an error...what other station would be moved and why?  Just need one station to serve uptown.  More correctly, the two UC stations are being renovated (with 120 being moved to Mayfield...really not that great a distance)

wait...the price tag is now $17.5 million (up from $9 million in 2010)?  Why the major jump?  What major design feature changed??

And i have the same question as KJP...where will the other $5 million come from?

Side note: updated the wiki page! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_%E2%80%93_East_120th_%28RTA_Rapid_Transit_station%29

Keep in mind that the station itself was previously projected to cost $9.1 million, including rehabbing the RTA bridge over Mayfield. There were extras including a rehab of the easternmost railroad bridge over Mayfield Road into a pedestrian plaza-type link to Tony Brush Park, etc. It may also include an overhead walkway to a parking deck and ancillary development just west of the station (shown on some of the graphics I've shared). Adding those would certainly increase the cost, but other than rehabbing the railroad bridge over Mayfield Road as a pedestrian plaza (which I can't see costing more than a couple million bucks), I don't know for certain what these non-station add-ons are.

EDIT: I see from this presentation (albeit it's three years old: http://www.riderta.com/pdf/presentations/2008-07-01-MayfieldStation.pdf) that the original $9 million estimate included $7.5 million for the station itself and $1.5 million for rehabbing the RTA bridge over Mayfield. So we have $8.5 million added in for something more, which I think has to be for rehabbing the railroad bridge and constructing an overhead walkway to CIA and/or the proposed Lot 45 parking garage.

So it seems the station construction costs are now covered by the USDOT grant, and even a little bit of something extra. It isn't for inflation because prices aren't rising.

EDIT2: the $17.5 million doesn't include the parking deck for the Lot 45 development on the west side of the station, as the 1,000-space parking deck alone is projected to cost $22 million (SOURCE: http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2009/03/university_circle_inc_unveils.html).

From Senator Brown who pushed hard for this project......

Brown Announces New Federal Resources to Relocate and Construct Mayfield Road Transit Station

Project Will Further Economic Development of Cleveland’s University Circle Neighborhood

December 14, 2011

WASHINGTON, D.C. – New federal resources have been awarded for a public transit infrastructure project in Cleveland. U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) today announced that a grant, allocated through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER III) program, will be used to relocate and construct the Mayfield Road Transit station under the 82-year-old Mayfield Road Bridge.

“A strong public transportation system is critical to a creating a vibrant local economy. University Circle is central to Cleveland’s economic revitalization,” Brown said. “Increased public transportation options will only further boost University Circle’s attractiveness to small business owners, young people, and homeowners. This important federal investment will help improve the quality of life for University Circle residents and add to the appeal of Greater Cleveland.”

DOT National Infrastructure Investments, or TIGER III Discretionary Grants, are used to invest in road, rail, transit, and port projects throughout the United States. The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) was awarded a $12,503,200 capital grant for the Mayfield Road Bridge project. This project is expected to provide access to the emerging Uptown development and the new Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in University Circle.

In October, Brown announced an additional $10.5 million in federal funds, provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for the University Circle RTA station. Those funds, awarded through the highly competitive Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) II grant program, will be used to upgrade and reconstruct the station.

In 2010, RTA owned 85 bridges, employed 2,115 people, and provided more than 44.7 million passenger trips.

###

Great news... Mayfield/Little Italy is where the station should have always been -- finally, some 58 years later, a major CTS bungle will be corrected... RTA's detailed, 150 plan/report was excellent; kudos to them for excellent planning ... I must agree, though, $17.5 for a single Rapid station seems a bit steep.

I found some answers but raised new questions......

This document (http://www.noaca.org/2011RTAprojdes.pdf) says:

Mayfield Road Rail Station Rehabilitation – This project involves reconstruction of the E.

120th Street Rail Station and the Mayfield Bridge. The station will be moved to Mayfield

Road. The station will include ADA accessibility and green technology. This project is

for the construction phase of the project. Earmark funds to partially fund the construction

are programmed in 2011 to support the construction phase.

And this document (http://www.noaca.org/2011RTAGrantProg.pdf) says:

GREATER CLEVELAND REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY

FFY 2011 GRANT PROGRAM

ALI #      PROJECT & TASK DESCRIPTION                              BUDGET      FEDERAL      LOCAL

Section 5309 Rail Formula (OH-05-XXXX)

12.31.02 Mayfield Station Rehabilitation Design                    $150,000    $120,000      $30,000

12.76.91 Mayfield Station Rehabilitation Land Acquisition    $100,000    $  80,000      $20,000

Section 5309 Bus & Bus Facilities Earmarks

12.33.02 Mayfield Station Rehabilitation Construction T-648 $2,500,000 $2,000,000  $500,000

And this document (http://www.noaca.org/GCRTA2012GrantProgram.pdf) says:

GREATER CLEVELAND REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY

FFY 2012 GRANT PROGRAM

ALI #      PROJECT & TASK DESCRIPTION                              BUDGET      FEDERAL      LOCAL

Section 5309 Rail Grant (OH-05-0103) Revisions

Mayfield Station Rehabilitation Design T-2282                        $200,000    $160,000    $40,000

So this project already had $2.5 million earmarked for construction. Then there's $100,000 for land acquisition. And the design costs noted above ($350,000) are partial, because I've seen numerous reports that GCRTA awarded $1.1 million in 2008 for the architectural design and engineering of the Mayfield Station to City Architecture et al. So we're probably talking several million dollars or more are already in hand and/or already spent. Right?

Then, Page 184 of this document (http://www.noaca.org/sfy20122015tip.pdf) says:

Project 90104 for GCRTA is Rehabilitation of Mayfield Road Track Bridge with total local and federal funding committed (projected as needed?) for 2013 at: $2,180,100

And Page 190 of the same document shows the station as a separate project (which can always be combined under a same federal grant):

Project 90171 for GCRTA is Mayfield Rd. Rapid Transit Station Reconstruction with total local and federal funding committed (projected as needed?) for 2013 at: $9,595,000

So the NOACA TIP shows that $11,775,100 is needed for the combined bridge and station project.

As for where the money is to be spent, GCRTA's 2010-2014 capital improvement program (http://www.riderta.com/pdf/budget/2010/6-CapitalImprovementPlan.pdf) shows these amounts:

Mayfield Road HRV Station                          $10,506,250

Track Bridge Rehabilitation - Mayfield Road $ 1,882,500

TOTAL                                                        $12,388,750

I understand the small discrepancy between NOACA's TIP amount of  $11,775,100 and GCRTA's capital program amount of $12,388,750. This $613,650 difference can be accounted for by including soft costs like design changes, land acquisition, engineering, etc.

But what I can't account for is the more than $5,000,000 in additional station project costs that brings this to $17.5 million. I can't find any document on the Internet that suggests federally compliant planning (which requires public review and input of plans) for anything that would bump up the cost of the project so much. Maybe it's for enhancing the underside of the bridges, a contribution to building the parking deck, a multi-modal station add-on at the Lot 45 TOD project? Something else? What?

What is this extra $5+ million for? Help me understand this.