Cleveland Rapid Rail Construction Projects (Non-Service Issues)

Guest KJP

• 8 months later...

No new news, but for anyone (like me) wondering where this project was on the proposed schedule, this is from page 29 of the February 2009 presentation referenced above.  http://www.riderta.com/pdf/presentations/2009-02-03-UniversityCedar.pdf

•Complete Design  3/2010

•Award Construction 9/2010

•Complete Construction 12/2012

* Depending upon funding

As far as I know from the posts above and the RTA website the project is on track and at least the current design phase is funded.  No further news is expected until March 2010.

• 11 months later...

Great news! This is from a press release....

http://brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press_releases/release/?id=A4A16591-B35F-4B27-94C8-91C2E4E1774E

Sen. Brown Announces $10.5M to Reconstruct and Modernize Transit Station in Cuyahoga County

New Road, Bridge, Bicycle, and Pedestrian Networks to be Built at the University-Cedar Rapid Transit Station

October 15, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C. U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) today announced that $10,500,000 was awarded to the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority to reconstruct the University-Cedar Rapid Transit Station in Cleveland. These funds, distributed by U.S. Department of Transportations (DOT) Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) II grant program, will help to modernize one of Ohios largest public transportation systems. These American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds were awarded through a competitive process.

Cleveland commuters cyclists, walkers, and motorists will be able to enjoy a modern transportation infrastructure at the University-Cedar Rapid Transit Station, Brown said. These funds will help to enhance the quality of life for Ohioans who live and work in the area.

TIGER II grants are awarded to projects that contribute to the long-term economic competitiveness of the nation, improve the condition of existing transportation facilities and systems, increase energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improve the safety of U.S. transportation facilities and/or enhance the quality of living and working environments of communities through increased transportation choices and connections.

There are 59 transit systems in Ohio a fleet that employs more than 5,200 workers. More than 4,200 of these Ohioans work in operational positions in transit systems that serve more than 200,000 people. Ohio is 12th in the nation for public transit ridership.

Brown has been a longtime advocate of public transportation. In March 2010, he joined Ohio transit workers from across the state to outline legislation that would save transit jobs, prevent fare increases, and preserve mass transit service. His legislation would give transit agencies increased flexibility to use federal funds for operating assistance as well as capital investments helping to prevent layoffs and preserve access to affordable transit service.

###

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

This is great news.  This project really has to get moving for obvious reasons (as well as the Mayfield/120th St station).  These are the two most important stations on the red line after downtown and the airport and hopefully will spur some TOD (not to mention that the Cedar Hill station and surrounding area is just a mess...the proposed plans will really enhance the area)

BTW, the Mayfield/Little Italy station has been slowed because Norfolk Southern, as an adjacent property owner, has to review and approve RTA's plans before work proceeds. NS has been sitting on the plans for nearly a year and RTA is calling around for help to get NS to act on them. The freight railroads have a long and glorious tradition of this kind of crap.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

BTW, the Mayfield/Little Italy station has been slowed because Norfolk Southern, as an adjacent property owner, has to review and approve RTA's plans before work proceeds. NS has been sitting on the plans for nearly a year and RTA is calling around for help to get NS to act on them. The freight railroads have a long and glorious tradition of this kind of crap.

Why?

Why?

Because a rapid transit station doesn't contribute to their bottom line so it's a very low priority for them.

This is tremendous news, I wonder when they will get started?

I dunno. It will probably be a while since they will have to sign lots of paperwork with the Federal Transit Administration, then go out to bid, then have the winning bidder organize materials and labor, then schedule it with the construction season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's spring 2012 before work gets underway.

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry - I should also add the University station should be expected to grow in riders more than the Windemere station. It's still the main Univ. Circle station and Univ. Circle is growing in leaps and bounds the next few years.  Can't wait to see the new one go up between Mayfield and Euclid, too.  Do you think it will begin next year?  Is the one at E. 120th to be closed (I'm sure it is but am asking anyway).

^ Thanks for asking. Here is an update. :clap:

University Circle Station: The station will stay open during construction, which is slated to start in summer 2012 and last for two years. :-D

East 120th Street Station: The present station is at East 120 and Euclid. The new station is on the RTA tracks over Mayfield Road. The design is 60 percent complete and should be completed in 2012. After that, RTA has to shore up funding sources, award bids and supervise construction. The current station will stay open until the new one opens, so closure will never be an issue. 8-)

^ This answer comes from Project Manager Maribeth Feke.

"This is a complicated design project. It includes the construction of a new station on a bridge that is close proximity to the N & S railroad right-of-way and close to other adjacent landowners property. It is a tight site.

The design also includes the rehabilitation of RTA's bridge. Presently, RTA is awaiting approval by the railroad for rights required to for the project. RTA anticipates a reply within the next few weeks. Upon that answer, RTA can proceed with designing this project.

RTA anticipates the design will be concluded in 2011. Construction of the station will depend upon locating the capital funds required for the project."

I hope this answers your question.

Ahem.....

• 1 month later...

FYI. I learned yesterday that capital construction funds for relocating the Euclid/E.120th station to Mayfield were in the omnibus federal funding bill that Congress decided it could NOT pass this session. So the legislation will be deferred to the next session where the funding will be tougher to get.

RTA is also interested in taking the Blue Line extension to the next phase of federal planning, which is preliminary engineering. I believe this is for the extension to North Randall, not just the first step: extension across the Warrensville intersection. If so, this is surprising considering RTA hasn't finished the North Randall alternatives analysis yet! They must feel pretty confident that their preferred alternative will show characteristics that make it eligible for federal construction funds.

Lastly, it's great to see construction has advanced so far on the new East 55th station. Until yesterday, I hadn't taken the Rapid over to the east side in months. Hopefully the new station will spur more redevelopment interest, but I suspect this will wait until the Opportunity Corridor Boulevard moves forward (or not).

Here is an interactive map I created with web links to specific rail projects in Cuyahoga County (mostly RTA Rapid transit projects). I edited and merged an old message of mine so it would be the first message in this thread. I thought this might help orient visitors to what's going on project-wise with rail transit in Greater Cleveland...

http://members.cox.net/corridorscampaign/Cleveland%20Rail%20Projects.ppt

^Thanks for the updates. I want that new Mayfied Red Line station so bad it hurts. So come on Norfolk Southern and congress and hurry up! Would have been awesome to get it in time for the opening of the various Uptown projects.

Time for a Mayor Jackson nudge, no?

clvlndr, your posting over at the 3C thread was very well stated. The outcome of GCRTA's rail rebuilding efforts should result in a more attractive rail system with TOD at some stations, and GCRTA has refocused bus services to feed the rail system to save money since the trains are electric and not subject to fuel price increases.

The rebuilt stations, facilities and trains for the Red, Blue and Green lines is an asset this region needs to rally around, especially as fuel prices march upward again. If you look at GCRTA's 2025 long-range plan, it anticipated investing $136,720,000 to modernize the rail system just in the 2005-09 period!

SOURCE: http://www.artsintransit.gcrta.org/pdf/transit2025/Transit_2025_March_2006_Final_ch4.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I guess $136.7 million in capital projects for the rail system wasn't such a big deal. Because the five-year capital budget prepared in 2010 estimates the following for Cleveland's rail system....

http://www.riderta.com/pdf/annual_reports/2009_CAFR.pdf

Rail Projects - $155.5 million

This commitment of funds includes the upgrade of the Catenary system, station and track

rehabilitation, bridges, train control systems, rail vehicles overhaul, and signage. Rail projects

include the rehabilitation of the rail stations totaling $47.0 million, overhaul of the heavy rail

vehicles of $7.9 million, rehabilitation of the rail tracks of $24.9 million, upgrade of Catenary

electrical system of $18.5 million, upgrade of our train control and signal systems of $8.1

million, and the extension of the blue line of $49.1 million.

Bridge Rehabilitation and Other Improvements - $12.7 million

Funding has been provided for the rehabilitation of five track bridges.

So the total rail capital budget is actually $168.2 million!

• 6 months later...

Anyone got photo updates of the East 55th Station construction? It's got to be nearly done, right?

Drove by? What is that?? :)

No thanks, I use toenail clippers instead.  tyty.gif

• 1 month later...

Is that the official opening? I ask because it sounds like the new station opened  for use by passengers yesterday....

The new E 55 Station will open for the start of service on Monday, August 22, 2011.

From: http://www.riderta.com/ridersalerts/list/?listingid=1595

^ During the closure, some track work had to be adjusted, so trains could stop at the new station instead of the old.

There is still preparation work being done at the new station, but it is far enough long so people can use it.

So, like I said beore, "yes, it is nearly done." A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held in September. The exact date has not been set.

As always, thanks!

The new RTA Cedar-University Rapid Transit Station was on the Landmarks Commission agenda for Aug. 25. The project has to go through Landmarks since part of the station is in the Little Italy Historic District...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2011/08252011/index.php

Some of the graphics at the above link reveal its revolutionary design. I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion!......

RTA_Univ_Cedar_01.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_02.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_03.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_04.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_05.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_06.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_07.jpg

The existing station:

RTA_Univ_Cedar_14.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_15.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_18.jpg

The planned station:

RTA_Univ_Cedar_17.jpg

RTA_Univ_Cedar_23.jpg

I like that the orange color really makes the station POP out at you and gives the area some color especially in the Winter months. Hopefully the color, or something as "loud" as it makes it through review and to construction.

The new RTA Cedar-University Rapid Transit Station was on the Landmarks Commission agenda for Aug. 25. The project has to go through Landmarks since part of the station is in the Little Italy Historic District...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2011/08252011/index.php

Some of the graphics at the above link reveal its revolutionary design. I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion!......

FYI, these designs (more or less) were first revealed three years ago and we all (including you :) )weighed in in this thread: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,6956.0.html  ...might be best to consolidate discussion there.

how about a little retail at the site (fronting the street) like a deli or so, so people can grab a hot coffee or snack while waiting for the train or bus. Our rapid stations are so isolated from the areas they serve. Ironically, you usually have to walk through or past a parking lot to get to them.

FYI, these designs (more or less) were first revealed three years ago and we all (including you :) )weighed in in this thread: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,6956.0.html  ...might be best to consolidate discussion there.

Thanks! I thought I had posted them in the Rapid Rail Construction thread. I didn't realize I'd posted them in the general RTA thread until you pointed it out. Thanks again!

how about a little retail at the site (fronting the street) like a deli or so, so people can grab a hot coffee or snack while waiting for the train or bus. Our rapid stations are so isolated from the areas they serve. Ironically, you usually have to walk through or past a parking lot to get to them.

Good idea. But then I also think a bathroom is warranted at some stations, too. If someone has some horrible visions of what they could end up looking like after some weekends, there are self-contained toilets where the whole room gets washed down automatically. See: http://www.localexpression.com/street_furniture.html#street_toilets

This is a self-cleaning public toilet, and it might also make certain RTA station elevators smell a little better too........

In Seattle:

seattletoilet.jpg

In San Francisco:

img_0558.jpg

In New York City:

2008_01_toilet2.jpg

Is there any planning being developed for a major rehab of the Red Line's Tokyu cars, as was recently done for the Blue/Green Line's Breda cars?

Of course, my preference is for a standardized fleet for all rail lines -- including having the ability to operate as a dual-mode vehicle so the trains can operate "cordless."

This is a "cordless" Stadler GTW now operating in Austin, Texas (imagine this on the West Shore Corridor out to Lorain County or on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad) and will operate soon from Denton to Carrollton to connect with Dallas' Green Line (Stadler is willing to open a US plant near to wherever a large order is made):

800px-Leander1.jpg

Here is an electrically-powered Stadler GTW, operating on the Seetalbahn interurban railway in Lenzburg, Switzerland. This interurban is like the many electric railways that criss-crossed Ohio prior to the Great Depression:

swi_sbb_rbe520nr009_seetalbahn_stadler_gtw2-8_lenzburg_2003_600.jpg

I can think of six ready-to-go, sustainabile transportation projects in Greater Cleveland that could be elevated to "high priority":

+ Airport Red Line Tunnel restoration

+ Brookpark Rapid Station completion

+ Little Italy-Mayfield-East 120 Rapid Station replacement

+ Blue Line Extension/Warrensville Intermodal Station/Transit Oriented Development project

+ Lee-Van Aken Rapid Station replacement

+ Red Line S-Curve rehabilitation

August 31, 2011

Obama urges Congress to extend surface transportation bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. — President Barack Obama urged lawmakers to extend legislation to fund highways and mass transit projects, stressing that a failure to do so will cost thousands of construction jobs and delay needed infrastructure repairs, according to Bloomberg.

Obama also directed the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Interior, Transportation and Housing and Urban Development to each select three "high-priority" construction projects already funded that can be completed within 18 months.

The current surface transportation bill extension expires at the end of September.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2011/08/Obama-urges-Congress-to-extend-surface-transportation-bill.aspx

I finally made my way over to East 55th Street to get some pictures of the new station. They and pictures of Greater Cleveland's three newly rebuilt/relocated/expanded stations that opened this year are posted at:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,26251.msg576089.html#msg576089

Here's a sampling.....

East 55th:

Clevelandtransit-090411002s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411004s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411015s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411007s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411014s.jpg

Puritas:

Clevelandtransit-090411037-Puritas-s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411055s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411043s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411054-crop-s.jpg

All Aboard Ohio's latest newsletter, the Ohio Passenger Rail News, will have a large feature on the GCRTA's rail capital improvement program (and recent transit capital investments including the HealthLine) as well as their impacts on influencing real estate developments. Here is a sample:

Other current major rail transit projects in Greater Cleveland:

Light Rail Trunk Line Turn-Outs – GCRTA has been replacing aging track hardware at 18 switches on the Blue/Green Line between Shaker Square and East 55th Street for about $2 million.

Heavy Rail Vehicle Overhauls – The Tokyu fleet operating on the Red Line is more than 25 years old and is undergoing a $3.9 million rehabilitation.

Rail Infrastructure Upgrade Program - This project provides $1.6 million for the acquisition of equipment and materials required to upgrade the infrastructure of all three GCRTA rail lines.

Waterfront Line Chute Track Repairs – About $600,000 is being spent to repair concrete plinths that support the outbound track from Tower City Center into the Flats.

Shaker Heights Crossing Upgrades – This $2.8 million project is the first of three phases to replace a total of 12 at-grade road-rail crossings on the Blue/Green Lines.

Fairhill Substation Rehab – This $3 million project will upgrade the building and modernize outdated equipment at the 57-year-old electrical substation for the Red Line near University Circle.

Blue/Green Line Signals – This $8.5 million project will replace an aging signal system on the trunk line between Shaker Square and East 55th Street. The new, safer system will include cab signals and better communications to reduce headways between trains.

Rail Bridge Rehabilitations – GCRTA has $12.7 million in hand for the rehabilitation of five track bridges and related structures at various locations throughout the rail system including the Cuyahoga Valley viaduct.

Rail improvement projects completed in the past year include:

Woodhill-East 93rd Blue/Green Line Station – This was a $3.2 million rehabilitation of a single-level station facility.

Puritas-West 150th Red Line Station – This was an $8.5 million station rehabilitation that replaced a dank passenger tunnel with a glass-enclosed overhead walkway.

Rockefeller Bridge Demolition – For $1.8 million, GCRTA demolished a long-closed street over its joint Red/Blue/Green lines and relocated the bridge’s waterline and communication ducts.

WoodhillStation1s.jpg

MayfieldRd-station2s.jpg

PuritasRTAstationconstruction2009s.jpg

PuritasRTAstationconstruction121409s.jpg

Clevelandtransit-090411046s.jpg

To subscribe to the Ohio Passenger Rail News, please go to:

http://allaboardohio.org/join-us/pay-on-line-2/

Wow that Mayfield Station is going to be something else when it gets done!  :clap:

pretty sure mayfield is back to the drawing board and due to costs, there will be only one head house with a center platform, as opposed to the 2 platform, 2 head house drawing above from 2009.  i also don't think the existing stairwell will be used.

• 3 months later...

GREAT NEWS!!! The last I read, the station itself was projected to cost $9 million, so perhaps this could include some extras such as walkways to planned development, especially on the west side of the station.....

RTA wins $12.5 million grant for new rapid station at Mayfield and East 119th

Published: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 10:03 AM    Updated: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 11:40 AM

By Tom Breckenridge, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority has landed a $12.5 million grant to build a new rapid station at Mayfield Road and East 119th Street, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown's office reported today.

The U.S. Department of Transportation announced the award this morning. It's among dozens of projects nationwide competing for the agency's Tiger III grants to enhance the nation's infrastructure.

RTA is designing the glassy Red Line station with help and input from Little Italy, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Foundation and others.

READ MORE AT:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/12/post_545.html

MayfieldRd-station2s.jpg