Sign in to follow this  
ColDayMan

US Illegal Immigration

It's actually interesting because usually conservatives are the ones decrying moral relativism and postmodernism and so on, but I find that many intellectual conservatives indulge in it often when defending Trump's famous "base."

^ I agree that these folks deserve empathy, however, empathy is something that not all people are capable of. How do you get them to understand the need when they are not capable of the same level of empathy. It does not make them bad people because they can't empathize in the way you may like or expect. This is why some people see the world black and white and some see it as shades of gray.

It is like saying someone who is bi-polar is not a good person because their symptoms cause them to react in a certain way.

You simply have to be a loser in real life to hold these opinions and hold them that strongly. It's kind of like extreme libertarians who think the government should get out of the driver's license business. Something's just off in the head about these people, they don't have enough experience interacting with real people in real life.

Just an fyi about your example choice.

The Trump administration has announced that it will end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, commonly known as DACA. DACA protects immigrants who came to the United States as children. Since its implementation, DACA has saved almost a million young immigrants from deportation and has allowed them to work legally in the United States.

“This is a heartless move by the Trump administration,” said Libertarian Party National Chair Nicholas Sarwark. “The recipients of DACA did nothing wrong. In fact, their parents loved them so much as to risk everything to bring them out of areas of extreme violence and poverty. They wanted a safer, better life for their children in America. How can we disparage them for that? This president shows mercy to a criminally convicted sheriff, but would toss young immigrants to the wolves for the acts of their parents? You can measure a bully based on whom they choose to pick on.”

https://www.lp.org/lp-denounces-end-daca/

Extreme was the operative word in my sentence. I don't hate libertarians, I am a former college Ron Paul nerd and today a liberal with a definite libertarian streak. It's just that extreme libertarians really are nuts. I was really thinking of a specific example here which is quite funny. Go to 2:10, you won't regret it.

I recognize that Gary Johnson, the pro-drivers license candidate, is the one who won the nomination. But he was booed at the debate for supporting drivers licenses.

^ I agree that these folks deserve empathy, however, empathy is something that not all people are capable of. How do you get them to understand the need when they are not capable of the same level of empathy. It does not make them bad people because they can't empathize in the way you may like or expect. This is why some people see the world black and white and some see it as shades of gray.

It is like saying someone who is bi-polar is not a good person because their symptoms cause them to react in a certain way.

I don't have any large issues with what you are saying here, I said that the people in Kimmel's video were emotionally stunted in some way. I have some degree of empathy because as I said something in their lives isn't going so well for them to be so obsessed with this issue. But the more people we have who think like this, our country is in danger. They are bringing us off the rails.

Extreme was the operative word in my sentence. I don't hate libertarians, I am a former college Ron Paul nerd and today a liberal with a definite libertarian streak. It's just that extreme libertarians really are nuts. I was really thinking of a specific example here which is quite funny. Go to 2:10, you won't regret it.

Good Lord. Lol.

^ it is not normal for you. They fit normal on the personality spectrum. Just because they are different than you and see the world differently does not make them wrong, it just makes you biased and not accepting of other viewpoints right or wrong.

Why is it that when faced with a pretty clear example of right and wrong, a lot of conservatives love to dive into moral relativism as some kind of defense? 

So Trump voters are bipolar or sociopaths?  Just trying to understand your point.

I don't have any large issues with what you are saying here, I said that the people in Kimmel's video were emotionally stunted in some way. I have some degree of empathy because as I said something in their lives isn't going so well for them to be so obsessed with this issue. But the more people we have who think like this, our country is in danger. They are bringing us off the rails.

Yep, and they're being allowed to take us off the rails because we have an entire political and social philosophy that says that treating people without empathy, compassion and common decency is natural and receiving criticism for that is an affront to their positions.

I agree with you but the question is how do you get to people who think like this? It is not that they are racist or evil, they just have a different way of understanding then you or I or others. They may even want the exact same things in the end, but how they express themselves to get there is vastly different. If we understand where their feelings come from and how they reach their conclusions, instead of just dismissing them as inferior (like some people like to do) we can 1) educate them, 2) educate ourselves, because they may actually have something to offer once we peel away the hard surface, and 3) get an understanding of why people may actually think like this on this particular issue.

Yep, and they're being allowed to take us off the rails because we have an entire political and social philosophy that says that treating people without empathy, compassion and common decency is natural and receiving criticism for that is an affront to their positions.

I thought you were supposed to be an open minded progressive. These comments make you sound a lot like the people you scoff at.

I agree with you but the question is how do you get to people who think like this? It is not that they are racist or evil, they just have a different way of understanding then you or I or others. They may even want the exact same things in the end, but how they express themselves to get there is vastly different. If we understand where their feelings come from and how they reach their conclusions, instead of just dismissing them as inferior (like some people like to do) we can 1) educate them, 2) educate ourselves, because they may actually have something to offer once we peel away the hard surface, and 3) get an understanding of why people may actually think like this on this particular issue.

I'm in agreement with many of the things you've said about the R word on this thread and on others. I think it is overused and also I don't think it's good to equate different levels of racism. However, in the case of these people in the video, racism is certainly a reasonable suspicion. The question is would these people be more empathetic towards somebody in their own group? Perhaps there are some who wouldn't, but often the answer is yes. Another example would be the public perception of the crack epidemic in the 80s vs the opiate epidemic today. Some people think that the general white public is a lot more sympathetic to the opioid crisis and that racism has a bit to do with that. Some of it could also be evolving attitudes about addiction.

But I agree with you that "racism" shouldn't be an excuse to just throw the world around and disengage from somebody, it doesn't solve the problem, and could push them away and into the arms of the actual Nazis out there. I think most of these casual racists are probably redeemable. Though some aren't.

Personally, I think the massive social/income inequality we have is destabilizing the country. I think it's harder to be white working class than it used to be mainly due to technology, and that these people turn on the TV and the propagandists tell them it's the Mexicans' fault. I think a beefed up welfare state with health care and education etc would do a lot to heal our divisions but it would take a long time. I'm not marxist, I'm a capitalist who supports a market economy, but one where we all pay a bunch of taxes to give people a basic quality of life. My $0.02.

The biggest tragedy of all this is even if Trump is successful at deporting all illegals and cutting immigration down to zero, his base won't really be much better off, if they're even better off at all.

I thought you were supposed to be an open minded progressive. These comments make you sound a lot like the people you scoff at.

Open-minded = Tolerating deportation of a productive human being based on spiteful, fact-free positions?  You're really going to try to go there? 

^ You do the same thing to them that they do to illegals. Make a snap judgment and call them racists on just a first impression. I am saying you are not much better despite being morally right on the issue. 

^ You do the same thing to them that they do to illegals. Make a snap judgment and call them racists on just a first impression. I am saying you are not much better despite being morally right on the issue.

It's curious how you find my criticism and dislike of people who would gleefully deport a productive, decent human being out of the country more outrageous than you do the actual deportation and the people who support it.  I've encountered that many times with conservatives who are trying to avoid discussion about something terrible coming out of their side of things.  It's the same thing when the PC movement is criticized rather than things like neo-Nazis being "fine people".

This post is locked because of pointless arguing. One of the other admins can unlock it if and when they feel like dealing with this garbage. Seriously, grow up and quit it. This is a forum for thoughtful discussion, not finger-pointing and insults.

I have also pruned a certain amount of crotchety loutishness (and responses thereto that now point nowhere, even if they were not themselves crotchety loutishness).  I'll add an appropriate GIF later when I'm less distracted by a toddler.

Yet another example of what happens when local political agendas are at odds with federal law:

Illegal immigrant Uber driver raped passenger then fled to native Ghana, police say

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/18/illegal-immigrant-uber-driver-raped-passenger-then-fled-to-native-ghana-police-say.html

An Uber driver charged with raping a passenger earlier this month was able to walk free because officials failed to notify immigration agents about his arrest, authorities said.

Frederick Amfo, 30, an illegal immigrant from Ghana, was arrested after a female passenger said that on April 8 he forced her into the backseat of his car and raped her, police said. Hours after he was released from police custody, he fled to his native Ghana. He was supposed to surrender his passport but did not...

A spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement told Boston 25 that a federal immigration detainer should have been placed on Amfo. Weymouth police claimed it forwarded the detainer to Quincy District Court.

“The court chose not to forward the detainer to Norfolk County, allowing for his subsequent release on bail from custody,” the agency said in a statement. “This case highlights the potential dangers of policies that prohibit cooperation with ICE.”

Yet another example of what happens when local political agendas are at odds with federal law:

Illegal immigrant Uber driver raped passenger then fled to native Ghana, police say

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/18/illegal-immigrant-uber-driver-raped-passenger-then-fled-to-native-ghana-police-say.html

An Uber driver charged with raping a passenger earlier this month was able to walk free because officials failed to notify immigration agents about his arrest, authorities said.

Frederick Amfo, 30, an illegal immigrant from Ghana, was arrested after a female passenger said that on April 8 he forced her into the backseat of his car and raped her, police said. Hours after he was released from police custody, he fled to his native Ghana. He was supposed to surrender his passport but did not...

A spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement told Boston 25 that a federal immigration detainer should have been placed on Amfo. Weymouth police claimed it forwarded the detainer to Quincy District Court.

“The court chose not to forward the detainer to Norfolk County, allowing for his subsequent release on bail from custody,” the agency said in a statement. “This case highlights the potential dangers of policies that prohibit cooperation with ICE.”

So what you're trying to say is that this guy represents all undocumented immigrants?  If so, can I say that David Duke represents all Trump supporters?  What would be the difference, exactly?  And if you're not saying that, wtf is your point?  We already know that there are criminals within literally every group of people, and there is ZERO guarantee that, had this guy come into the country through the legal process, he would not have still been a criminal.  After all, the 9/11 hijackers were in the US legally.

And if you're trying to say that the system allowed this to happen because they're not tough enough on undocumented immigrants, you're getting it wrong.  It would actually be representative of a failed criminal justice system, not specifically immigration.  The justice system had him in custody and dropped the ball.  That's on them.

So what you're trying to say is that this guy represents all undocumented immigrants?

No, if I were trying to say that, I would have said it. Note that I didn't say that, nor anything remotely like that. What I was trying to say is exactly what I said. To provide a bit more detail - there's no good reason for local authorities to refuse to cooperate with ICE. This event is an example of what happens when bleeding heart policies usurp common sense legal processes.

There are good reasons for local police not to report to ICE too though. Police can't do their job properly if residents are all scared to talk to them.

There are always going to be problems with illegal immigration, because the problem is that we have illegal immigration in the first place. The reason we have illegal immigration is because hard-line anti-immigrant Republicans have refused to pass immigration reform for decades, preferring simply to win elections by talking about illegal immigrants. What's needed is immigration reform with amnesty and border security. A way forward.

So what you're trying to say is that this guy represents all undocumented immigrants?

No, if I were trying to say that, I would have said it. Note that I didn't say that, nor anything remotely like that. What I was trying to say is exactly what I said. To provide a bit more detail - there's no good reason for local authorities to refuse to cooperate with ICE. This event is an example of what happens when bleeding heart policies usurp common sense legal processes.

I can think of a lot of good reasons.  But the point is that you brought up one example and are trying to make it out to be an epidemic of rapists getting away with it because of liberal policies, but that's BS.  What were immigration officials going to do with him?  If they were just going to deport him, the guy fleeing the country already accomplished that.  If not, then what?  Even accused rapists, even not from the US, have the right to due process.  Meaning he would have had to be treated like any other accused person, which is what the justice system did.  Maybe they should've set his bail higher if they thought he was a flight risk. 

^ My point is that in places where liberal policies don't conflict with federal law, stories like this one are near impossible. I didn't make it out to be an epidemic, you're putting words in my mouth again. What should happen in a case like this is what does happen in places where authorities cooperate with immigration officials. The suspect should have had a federal immigration detainer placed upon him, and should have been kept in custody until his trial.

^ My point is that in places where liberal policies don't conflict with federal law, stories like this one are near impossible. I didn't make it out to be an epidemic, you're putting words in my mouth again. What should happen in a case like this is what does happen in places where authorities cooperate with immigration officials. The suspect should have had a federal immigration detainer placed upon him, and should have been kept in custody until his trial.

(citation needed)

You brought up the example.  If you weren't suggesting this is a widespread problem, you don't really have any other point to make.  You really think anyone buys that you're not towing the Trump line about all the evil immigrants in America?  Please.

Now that's biting satire....

ICE Agent Decides He Wants Kids After Seeing Incredible Love And Devotion Of Parents Begging Him Not To Take Their Child https://t.co/gnbIKlKfeC

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Senator Jeff Merkley, with privileges as a member of the U.S. Senate that would typically include inspecting government facilities, has been barred entry to an ICE detention center.

Y'all... this is not normal, and it is not okay. https://t.co/kxgo7cxEsH

I don't care who he is, if he shows up unscheduled and unannounced like that he deserves to be denied entry. We're talking about a facility that houses at risk children, they can't be too careful about who is allowed in. Remember, perverts like Anthony Wiener were once "privileged" politicians.

I don't care who he is, if he shows up unscheduled and unannounced like that he deserves to be denied entry. We're talking about a facility that houses at risk children, they can't be too careful about who is allowed in. Remember, perverts like Anthony Wiener were once "privileged" politicians.

Like Roy Moore at a shopping mall....

Was he asking to inspect the facility or the children?

Was he asking to inspect the facility or the children?

In fairness, the facility was a former Wal-Mart.  You've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

(/s in case your internal sarcasm translators work as well as Google Translate.)

Roxana Hernández, a 33-year-old transgender woman from Honduras who was seeking asylum in the U.S., has died in ICE custody. Roxana's is the fourth in-custody death for ICE for FY 2018.

Four people have died in ICE custody since October 2017.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/south-florida-ice-detention-center-blocks-muslim-ramadan-observance-10417481?h_sid=ebb859c7a4-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

South Florida ICE Detention Center and Jail Won't Let Muslims Observe Ramadan, Lawyers Say

Freedom of religion?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/06/06/utter-chaos-ice-arrests-114-workers-in-immigration-raid-at-ohio-gardening-company/?h_sid=ebb859c7a4-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3&noredirect=on&utm_term=.af5ce35ebe88

They arrested 114 workers suspected of being in the country illegally and loaded many onto buses bound for ICE detention facilities. Dozens of the workers’ children were left stranded at day-care centers and with babysitters, local activists wrote on social media.

The massive raid came exactly two months after federal officials arrested 97 immigrants at a meat-processing plant in rural Tennessee, in what civil rights groups called the largest single workplace raid in a decade. It follows other workplace raids across the country, including a nationwide sweep of 98 7-Eleven stores, which led to 21 arrests. ICE officials described the January raid as the largest operation targeting an employer since Trump became president.

“We’re on a barn, so we can’t escape,” employee Salma Sabala told WNWO. Sabala, who works at Corso’s with her mother and sister, said undercover officers showed up in an employee break room initially offering to give out Dunkin’ Donuts. Then, they started rounding up workers.

“They’re armed. They had the dogs. We hear the helicopters on top of us,” Sabala told WNWO. “They took them on a big bus.”

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/ice-deports-closest-relative-of-delano-children-orphaned-following-march/article_e6f2cb8e-64f0-11e8-9f6d-abd4759ab5d7.html?h_sid=ebb859c7a4-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

The six orphaned children of the undocumented immigrants killed while fleeing ICE agents in Delano March 13 have been dealt another blow, according to the United Farm Workers Foundation: the federal immigration enforcement agency has apprehended and deported their closest remaining family member.

Agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained the children's uncle, Celestino Hilario Garcia, at his Delano apartment Wednesday, according to UFW Foundation Executive Director Diana Tellefson Torres.

Family values, amirite?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/us/ice-undocumented-immigrant-arrest-pizza-delivery/index.html?h_sid=ebb859c7a4-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

A pizza delivery man could soon be deported after he was turned over to immigration officials after trying to drop off food at a military base in New York.

Pablo Villavicencio, 35, arrived at the Fort Hamilton base in Brooklyn last week to deliver an order from the brick-oven pizza restaurant in Queens where he worked. He showed his New York City identification card to the guard as he had done several times before, but it wasn't enough this time, his wife says.

They kept the pizza, deported the pizza delivery man.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/children-immigration-borders-family-separation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

When he landed in Michigan in late May, all the weary little boy carried was a trash bag stuffed with dirty clothes from his dayslong trek across Mexico, and two small pieces of paper — one a stick-figure drawing of his family from Honduras, the other a sketch of his father, who had been arrested and led away after they arrived at the United States border in El Paso.

An American government escort handed over the 5-year-old child, identified on his travel documents as José, to the American woman whose family was entrusted with caring for him. He refused to take her hand. He did not cry. He was silent on the ride “home.”

Very Stable Genius

^ That second-to-last one seems weird. That pizza place is way up in Queens past Flushing and Fort Hamilton is all the way out by the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. That's like an hour drive. There are literally thousands of pizza places closer to Fort Hamilton than that one. Who orders a pizza from that far away? What type of pizza place makes deliveries that far away? It almost seems like a setup, like somebody had a bone to pick with the guy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/children-immigration-borders-family-separation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

When he landed in Michigan in late May, all the weary little boy carried was a trash bag stuffed with dirty clothes from his dayslong trek across Mexico, and two small pieces of paper — one a stick-figure drawing of his family from Honduras, the other a sketch of his father, who had been arrested and led away after they arrived at the United States border in El Paso.

An American government escort handed over the 5-year-old child, identified on his travel documents as José, to the American woman whose family was entrusted with caring for him. He refused to take her hand. He did not cry. He was silent on the ride “home.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics has urged the Trump administration to end the practice (of family separation), saying it can result in lifelong trauma for children. In the past two weeks alone, this has happened to 638 parents who have arrived at our borders with 658 children.

FAMILY VALUES THO

Very Stable Genius

Our world's history shows that nations gripped by fear will forget their own humanity and as the people become the very monsters that they fear. "Distrust naturally creates distrust..." John Jay.

Our nation is divided by fear. Fear leads to widespread human suffering. #crossroads

The American Academy of Pediatrics has urged the Trump administration to end the practice (of family separation), saying it can result in lifelong trauma for children. In the past two weeks alone, this has happened to 638 parents who have arrived at our borders with 658 children.

FAMILY VALUES THO

Trump is STILL trying to say Democrats created this policy.  The **** just cannot stop lying. 

The inhumanity and cruelty of this administration is worsening by the day. And yet we are powerless to stop it....

Trump admin drops asylum protections for domestic violence victims

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/11/politics/jeff-sessions-asylum-decision/index.html

If domestic violence is a basis for claiming asylum in America, there would be probably more than a billion potentially valid asylum claims.  If gang violence is also a basis, that adds many, many millions more.  At the very least, that is not something that should be just kind of snuck into the law on the back end by the executive branch.  Convince enough of your countrymen that that actually should be the law and you can get that policy written into federal statute, the way it's supposed to be done.

Session claims that victims of domestic or gang violence are merely "private crimes" but when governmental enabled cultures and corruption that discourage prosecution of domestic abusers or gang crimes, then it falls outside of private crimes or at least it did until the Trump Administration added its warm and fuzzy touch....

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/11/jeff-sessions-aslyum-standards-domestic-violence-614158

In 2014, the Board of Immigration Appeals ruled that “married women in Guatemala who are unable to leave their relationship” constitute a social group under the standard, which bolstered the claims of women fleeing violence in Central America.

Sessions said the 2014 decision lacked “the rigorous analysis” required to establish precedent and overrode the ruling.

“The mere fact that a country may have problems policing certain crimes effectively — such as domestic violence or gang violence — or that certain populations are more likely to be victims of crime, cannot itself establish an asylum claim,” the attorney general wrote.

People need to go to prison for this. If they did this to my immigrant child, whether you claim you were "just following orders" or not, you'd better pray that prison finds you before I do....

35237565_1766017220141672_6675024797467934720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3cbc2d475ee06fb703af0885f4e92ccb&oe=5B78F964

^ that was the policy from 2014 until today and we don't have 1 billion asylum seekers now

FTFY.

OK. But we still haven't had a billion asylum seekers.

Maybe so.  But of course my statement was about the pool of potentially valid asylum claims.  If we let Obama's flouting of the law become the de facto policy, then it was only a matter of time before growing public awareness of that gaping hole in the our asylum-claims law led to the proverbial floodgates.

Why exactly should the risk of being the victim of ordinary crime of any kind warrant a jump-everyone-else-in-line ticket across the U.S. border?

Maybe so.  But of course my statement was about the pool of potentially valid asylum claims.  If we let Obama's flouting of the law become the de facto policy, then it was only a matter of time before growing public awareness of that gaping hole in the our asylum-claims law led to the proverbial floodgates.

Why exactly should the risk of being the victim of ordinary crime of any kind warrant a jump-everyone-else-in-line ticket across the U.S. border?

although, this administration has no problem enforcing the separation of children from parents based on the previous administrations "policy."  They like to pick and choose which ones need to be followed.

So did Obama vis-a-vis Bush.  So does every president.  You don't just burn the entire U.S. Code and CFR every four years and start over, you know.