What are you watching?

Guest Emmie

• 2 months later...

Help, I can't stop marathoning Another Life. It's both shockingly awful and addictive at the same time. Gossip Girl meets Alien meets Annihilation meets Star Trek TNG/Voyager meets Community meets... Roger Corman and Ed Wood movies?

The writing and acting aside, has there ever been a less qualified crew outside of parodies in the history of tv and movies? 

And yet I keep clicking on the next episode arrow. 4 to go tonight. Should finish by sunrise.

Edited by TBideon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest jmecklenborg

A feature-length film written and directed by my undergrad film/video teacher Paul Harrill is in some theaters around the country this fall:

THEATRICAL ENGAGEMENTS

NEW YORK CITY: Quad Cinema - Opens November 1

PHILADELPHIA: Ritz at the Bourse - Opens November 1 - Q+A with Paul Harrill on 11/3

LOS ANGELES: Nuart (Landmark) - Opens November 8 - Q+A with Paul Harrill & Kelly Williams on 11/8 and 11/9

VANCOUVER, WA: Kiggins Theatre - Opens November 8

ANCHORAGE: Bear Tooth Theatrepub - November 8 only

ATLANTA: Midtown Art Cinema - Opens November 15

WESTHAMPTON BEACH, NY: Performing Arts Center - November 15-18

OKLAHOMA CITY: Oklahoma City Museum of Art - November 15-18

SAN FRANCISCO: Landmark San Francisco - Opens November 22

BERKELEY: Landmark Shattuck - Opens November 22

BOULDER: The Boedecker Theater - November 26 & 27

SEATTLE: Grand Illusion Cinema - Opens December 6

KNOXVILLE: Regal Downtown West - Opens December 6

9 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

I'm trying to watch Evil, but it's not scary enough.  I wished they released an uncensored version online.

It's CBS.  What did you expect?  The whole network is trash.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

15 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

It's CBS.  What did you expect?  The whole network is trash.

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

They are so conservative. I will watch Survivor on occasion. I thought they would think outside the box.  This should be on their digital platform where it could be a bit more intense.  You can't have a show titled "Evil" then not show EVIL.  However, I bet the advertising for this show is bonkers.  That is one thing CBS does well is advertising.  They kill it!  HA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am getting ready to watch The Voice. I love John Legend as a judge. Hopefully another non-country singer will win this season, just like last season, when the actual best singer(shockingly)won. maelyn was the best.

*almost all broadcast tv is crap I know.

*what a crappy episode!

Edited by Toddguy

18 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

does anybody watch sh*tt's creek?

how is it?

my spouse is addicted and talks about it.

It's pretty funny, especially if you like Canadian humor.  It's also a bit one-note and not much else, so if you're expecting development or whatever out of 5 seasons you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1

Very Stable Genius

• 2 weeks later...

i should watch this -- i went to a court day of demjanjuk's first trial.

it was very strange to say the least.

we wanted to see a nazi, so we cut school and went to it. i remember on the line downstairs we were lined up along the lobby waiting for the elevator in front of john glenn's office. it had one of those old slide out signs with his name on it, so my friend slid it out and stole it. i think he still has it.

however, the scene turned very real when we finally noticed it was just a few of us kids and a lot of old jewish people with ww2 death camp tattoos. they were saying, "i need to see him, i'll know" and stuff like that, very creepy and sad. in the court room they just stared at the guy. it was the eeriest thing and still haunts me.

on a lighter note, if there could be one, during the boring hearing i got a court artist attention and so they drew me in the rendering with a purpose, which we all saw on the news that night on all the channels. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Pugu said:

Just started watching the devil next door on netflix about John Demjanjuk. Very good so far. So great shots of 1980s Cleveland in it.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80201488

Just binged it over the weekend. Man the directors really strung you along with back and forth evidence. Some reviewer brought up a good point, I think. The doc should have either been shortened to two hours, or made longer and more in-depth. 

The Jerusalem trial was quite cringeworthy not only from a legal perspective (show trial), but from  trying to decipher Demjanjuk's behavior, which was incomprehensible. 

Strangely, they slowed down most of the major events, but only to quickly gloss over the very major evidence toward the end that led to his later extradition to Germany. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrnyc said:

i should watch this -- i went to a court day of demjanjuk's first trial.

it was very strange to say the least.

we wanted to see a nazi, so we cut school and went to it. i remember on the line downstairs we were lined up along the lobby waiting for the elevator in front of john glenn's office. it had one of those old slide out signs with his name on it, so my friend slid it out and stole it. i think he still has it.

however, the scene turned very real when we finally noticed it was just a few of us kids and a lot of old jewish people with ww2 death camp tattoos. they were saying, "i need to see him, i'll know" and stuff like that, very creepy and sad. in the court room they just stared at the guy. it was the eeriest thing and still haunts me.

on a lighter note, if there could be one, during the boring hearing i got a court artist attention and so they drew me in the rendering with a purpose, which we all saw on the news that night on all the channels. 

this was almost as good as a @jmecklenborg story.  You and your delinquent friend should have been jailed.  Humph!

I cant imagine being in that courtroom.  Im surprised you didn't suffer from adjacent PTSD after listening to what took place.

• Haha 1

Guest jmecklenborg
20 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

this was almost as good as a @jmecklenborg story.  You and your delinquent friend should have been jailed.  Humph!

Speaking of East Germany, there was that time back in 1987 when the World Figure Skating Championships were in Cincinnati.  Representing East Germany was Katarnia Witt.  She had rented out a suburban ice skating rink (which shall remain nameless) to practice on the day of the competition.  The Friday night before......my church youth group from the West Side of Cincinnati took 2-3 buses over there for open skate.  And a round-headed kid from 2-3 blocks away who was a bit of a knucklehead - who also shall remain nameless - started picking away at the ice with his skate.  This went on until he got down about 4-5 inches into the ice.  Then there was a layer of brown paper.  I had taken a lap of the rink while he was picking away but the layer of brown paper piqued my interest and I hovered over the hole as he carried on. Then after asking if he should kick through it I said "I don't know" and just then a green bubble appeared and green fluid started oozing up into the crack he had made, like maybe an once or two.  We took a lap around the rink and as we passed by the hole again he gave it one final hack and green ooze actually burst upward like shin high and started spreading out over the ice rink.  We both skated away from the crime scene and I believe even got out of the rink by the time the DJ came over the loudspeaker and ordered everyone off the ice. 

Not only did the music stop - but an emergency crew appeared out of nowhere.  The concession stand lady, a janitor, the guy with those orange glowing wands out in the parking lot, the zamboni driver, and maybe 5 other staff members burst into action with something that looked like a fire hose, trying to capture as much of the green liquid as possible.  It was announced within a few minutes that the rink would close for the evening.  I remember we bolted for the bus and stayed uncharacteristically quiet on the ride home.  

This incident predated Twitter by 20 years so no telling if they got the rink repaired and re-cooled in time for Ms. Witt's ice time the next day.  Maybe everything was okay and the practice proceeded as planned.  Or maybe she was forced to practice with the unwashed international masses down at Riverfront Coliseum. 

Either way, she won the damn thing.  But I can't help but giggle at the fact that she skated to the music of West Side Story:

Well us west side hooligans definitely deserved to go to Juvenile for that but we weren't caught because we knew how to shut up. 

23 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Speaking of East Germany, there was that time back in 1987 when the World Figure Skating Championships were in Cincinnati.  Representing East Germany was Katarnia Witt.  She had rented out a suburban ice skating rink (which shall remain nameless) to practice on the day of the competition.  The Friday night before......my church youth group from the West Side of Cincinnati took 2-3 buses over there for open skate.  And a round-headed kid from 2-3 blocks away who was a bit of a knucklehead - who also shall remain nameless - started picking away at the ice with his skate.  This went on until he got down about 4-5 inches into the ice.  Then there was a layer of brown paper.  I had taken a lap of the rink while he was picking away but the layer of brown paper piqued my interest and I hovered over the hole as he carried on. Then after asking if he should kick through it I said "I don't know" and just then a green bubble appeared and green fluid started oozing up into the crack he had made, like maybe an once or two.  We took a lap around the rink and as we passed by the hole again he gave it one final hack and green ooze actually burst upward like shin high and started spreading out over the ice rink.  We both skated away from the crime scene and I believe even got out of the rink by the time the DJ came over the loudspeaker and ordered everyone off the ice. 

Not only did the music stop - but an emergency crew appeared out of nowhere.  The concession stand lady, a janitor, the guy with those orange glowing wands out in the parking lot, the zamboni driver, and maybe 5 other staff members burst into action with something that looked like a fire hose, trying to capture as much of the green liquid as possible.  It was announced within a few minutes that the rink would close for the evening.  I remember we bolted for the bus and stayed uncharacteristically quiet on the ride home.  

This incident predated Twitter by 20 years so no telling if they got the rink repaired and re-cooled in time for Ms. Witt's ice time the next day.  Maybe everything was okay and the practice proceeded as planned.  Or maybe she was forced to practice with the unwashed international masses down at Riverfront Coliseum. 

Either way, she won the damn thing.  But I can't help but giggle at the fact that she skated to the music of West Side Story:

Well us west side hooligans definitely deserved to go to Juvenile for that but we weren't caught because we knew how to shut up. 

I knew you'd have a story!  I knew it!

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 10:42 AM, mrnyc said:

^ umm, isn't that kinda the way you always are?  ? 

i want to want to watch that wu-tang mini series on hulu -- anybody seen it?

Lately YES!  Having a kid has made me hyper sensitive.  But these two shows just sent me over the edge,

Wutang, is uneven.  I watched the first three episodes, but not in a hurry to watch the remainder.

Dolemite and American Son are GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching US version of The Circle on Netflix.  the first four episodes are a hot ass mess!  I'm totally signing my Grand Father up for this show!  He would be a hit.

The UK version has two season so far and we've been streaming them.  It's a good show to watch while doing other stuff.

6 hours ago, seicer said:

Last Man Standing, but I've always been a Tim Allen fan. It gets far better in later seasons. I'm still pissed that Home Improvement is no longer on Hulu.

This is a joke, correct?  

• Haha 3

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Finally got around to Chernobyl on HBO - it's really well done.  Also finally got around to The OA after the cancellation announcement and it sucks it ended so quickly.

We gave a few of the fall shows a try but haven't been able to stick with any of them.  Meh.  Between sharing accounts with parents and in-laws, we have access to virtually every streaming service.

Very Stable Genius

27 minutes ago, musky said:

Just started Breaking Bad around Thanksgiving and just finished it and El Camino this past weekend. 

Very nice American tragedy storytelling; disturbing and at times uncomfortable, but nice nonetheless. 

How was El Camino.  I started watching and wasn't feeling it after the first 15 minutes.   Should I try again? 

I enjoyed it. It was nice to have some loose ends be tied up. In fact, I think everything was put to rest except how the rest of the White family may have recovered - understanding, of course, this movie was not about them. I think they could have played more into the PTSD role then was shown in the first part of the movie. I took me watching the movie to actually realize the show was not necessarily about Walter's downward spiral and its effect on those around him, but rather it really was about Jesse and his journey. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

How was El Camino.  I started watching and wasn't feeling it after the first 15 minutes.   Should I try again? 

I was hooked when I first started watching El Camino. It felt like no time had passed. The pacing was little faster than the show since it's only a movie and not a full season of tv.

I binged Fleabag recently. I thought it was great. The first season was good, but the second season was even better IMO. It's only 6 episodes per season, so it's a quick watch.

I've also been periodically watching Billy on the Street, which is in my wheelhouse. I understand it isn't for everyone

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, musky said:

I'm thinking of watching Black Mirror next.
I watched Netflix's 6 Underground last night.... meh. 

Black Mirror is very hit-or-miss.  I think I fell asleep during every episode in the last season. 

p.s. After Breaking Bad don't you wanna lighten things up a little!!! 

LOL

Well, I do also watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with Mrs. Musky when she is not working night shift
We also watch together Man in the High Castle.

There are plenty of other shows I want to watch. I'm just leary of getting hooked on something only to have it cancelled. So I recently decided to wait until the show has run its course before starting it - that's not written in stone though.

27 minutes ago, musky said:

LOL

Well, I do also watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with Mrs. Musky when she is not working night shift
We also watch together Man in the High Castle.

There are plenty of other shows I want to watch. I'm just leary of getting hooked on something only to have it cancelled. So I recently decided to wait until the show has run its course before starting it - that's not written in stone though.

Nice on Mrs. Maisel, fun show.  A friend of mine in Pitt sells vintage items (fabrics & such) for their set design. They do a great job imho. 

Man in High Castle is soo depressing, but I'm a sucker for alt history. It's very interesting to consider. And more proof that Stephen Root has the most amazing range as an actor! 

3 hours ago, musky said:

I'm thinking of watching Black Mirror next.
I watched Netflix's 6 Underground last night.... meh. 

Watch Black Mirror.  

tenor.gif?itemid=15566834

• Like 2

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: I'm a big Quentin Tarantino fan but this might be my least favorite film of his. Not saying it was bad but the movie definitely needed not to be so long. If they cut about 30 minutes off it would have been better but still not impressed with it. The plot seemed a little weak and halfway through asked my girlfriend what time it was.⭐⭐

Edited by Mildtraumatic

12 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: I'm a big Quentin Tarantino fan but this might be my least favorite film of his. Not saying it was bad but the movie definitely needed not to be so long. If they cut about 30 minutes off it would have been better but still not impressed with it. The plot seemed a little weak and halfway through asked my girlfriend what time it was.⭐⭐

My wife and I loved it, especially for the classic Tarantino ending.   The older I get the more I appreciate historic settings in movies.  Love the costumes, cars, etc.   

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, ryanlammi said:

I binged Fleabag recently. I thought it was great. The first season was good, but the second season was even better IMO. It's only 6 episodes per season, so it's a quick watch.

Seconded for Fleabag; great series.

Also just binged both seasons of Castle Rock. Really enjoyed the two separate, but tied together stories. Hoping for a third season.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

14 minutes ago, Cygnus said:

Seconded for Fleabag; great series.

Also just binged both seasons of Castle Rock. Really enjoyed the two separate, but tied together stories. Hoping for a third season.

Looking to watch Fleabag with my wife as soon as we are done with Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I've been hearing good thing.  Undone is a good series on Prime too. There's just one season and episodes are short. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TBideon said:

Altered Carbon Season 2 is booooooooooooooooring.

It really is.  Total disappointment.