Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development

Just now, MyTwoSense said:

Thanks.  I had a brain fart and could not place this.

So that's what we're calling old age now.....

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

This is amazing!  I used to work at St. Luke's in the 80s, was sad to hear of its closure but so glad to see this new, high-quality development.

St. Luke’s is now a senior community of apartments, and I believe a few offices and a school.  It’s a beautiful building that I was happy they salvaged, rehabbed and repurposed.  Would of been a shame to lose it altogether, I could be wrong but believe it was at a time slated for demolition.

Side note it reminds me of Professor Xavier’s School for the Gifted.  Full disclosure, I’m a bit of a comic nerd.

Edited by Sapper Daddy
  • Like 1

While the other design-review districts have construction projects, signs, etc. on their agendas, these are the 15 most recent items on the East's design-review agenda....

EAST 2019-041

3231 E. 93RD ST. DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-040

8634 BUCKEYE DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-039

9501 KENNEDY DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-038

2576 E 84TH ST. DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-037

2963 E. 79TH ST. DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-036

8803 WALKER DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-035

2961 E. 79TH ST. DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-034

2517 E. 79TH STREET DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-033

2366 WOODHILL DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-032

2370 WOODHILL DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-031

3127 E. 93 (DEMOLITION)

EAST 2019-030

AAC 55TH 3271 E. 55TH

Rehab and remodel

EAST 2019-029

3293 EAST 55TH REMOVE (DEMOLITION)

EAST 2019-028

4636 BROADWAY DEMOLITION

EAST 2019-027

SLAVIC VILLAGE GATEWAY

5163 Broadway Ave.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?D=EAST

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KJP said:

While the other design-review districts have construction projects, signs, etc. on their agendas, these are the 15 most recent items on the East's design-review agenda....

This made me curious what the actual boundaries of the district are. Turns out the GIS system calls that layer "Design Review Committee Regions", whereas Design Review Districts are a different layer with non-contiguous regions.

So in case anyone else needed a visual, here they are with an overlay of "Planning Districts" aka city neighborhoods so you can see where these demolitions are concentrated.

cleveland-design-review-committee-regions-with-planning-district-overlay.PNG

Here's a slightly-cropped, zoomed-in version:

cleveland-design-review-committee-regions-with-planning-district-overlay-east-region-zoom.thumb.PNG.18563cbe127ea5aa09e6d63b37fb7b0d.PNG

If you want to look yourself, the interactive link is here: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/gis/cpc.html

Edited by infrafreak
added second graphic and link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Building permits filed today for the repurposing of 13905 Kinsman Ave into a BBQ restaurant by the people behind "Southern Cafe" in Lakewood. This is in the Mt Pleasant neighborhood. Nothing big but it's been a pretty slow news day.

• Like 2

The vacant Buckeye Woodland School, on Buckeye Road near where Shaker Boulevard starts and across from the Woodhill Rapid Station, will be the site of Phase I of the Woodhill Homes redevelopment plan. It'll have two apartment buildings, mixed-income. Councilman Blaine Griffin talks funding; plus an early rendering.

https://www.ideastream.org/news/councilman-woodhill-must-be-redeveloped-with-or-without-hud-funding

• Like 8

Awesome. That early rendering looks promising. That intersection, with the rapid station there, really should be a centerpiece of a mid/high density node for the east side.

• Like 4

The proximity of this development to the rail station and the proposed design is a big deal. I hope it is funded and carried out as planned. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

This, and more of it is sorely needed in parts of the East and SE side of the City.

The idea of phasing-in market-rate housing may help to de-centralize poverty and hopefully create a community that is economically diverse and one that thrives.

• Like 3

In the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood, a permit was filed today for the renovation of an 11 unit apartment building.

3328 E 149th St

Screenshot_20200206-180656.thumb.png.77c2868e36b302c3eaf8735aa6718329.png

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tykaps said:

In the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood, a permit was filed today for the renovation of an 11 unit apartment building.

3328 E 149th St

Screenshot_20200206-180656.thumb.png.77c2868e36b302c3eaf8735aa6718329.png

Renovation of history instead of destruction of history! You love to see it! 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, TBideon said:

It's a 6 minute walk from the nearby Van Aken stop, so that's another plus.

I see the empty lots next to it, hopefully it spurs more residential development with NO PARKING REQUIREMENTS..........one can dream. 

Redirecting from the SHW R&D thread.....

31 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I have to think the city pitched an Opportunity Corridor site to S-W for the R&D center. It would be nice to know how the thinking went on that. I'm really disappointed that little seems to be happening on the OC.

That we know about @Dougal. There's some big stuff happening at the UC end. And you've got close to 1,000 employees coming to the west end with the CPD HQ. I suspect Orlando and Miceli may be taking a look at their properties at this point. If CMHA gets that $35 million to redevelop Woodhill Homes, that will be a pretty big spark for the residential offerings in that area.

The perception is that it's a gigantic swath of ghetto between downtown and Shaker Square along Woodland. But I don't think that's the case so much anymore. All of the development involving Arbor Park and now the replacement of the Cedar Estates with a mix of subsidized and market-rate housing, leaves less than a 3-mile trek along Woodland through a gutted neighborhood before you get back to civilization and the Larchmere District at MLK. And the Opportunity Corridor is slicing right through the middle of that gutted gap.

• Like 2

Latest round of state affordable tax credits! Woodhill Homes is seeking $11 million in subsidies for the first parts of its redevelopment of the (currently) 487 unit public housing project. This will go towards adding 77 units that will eventually allow the replacement of the current aging housing stock.

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2020/HUD-Subsidy/WoodhillHomes-PhaseII.pdf

Not far from the Woodhill Homes redevelopment is the Schofield project which will see redevelopment of the Schofield Mansion along with some new construction for a total of 58 new units of affordable senior housing.

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2020/SeniorUrban/TheScofield.pdf

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I am so glad to see all of these projects come to fruition. While urban redevelopment is great and has done wonders, there are still large swaths of the population who are Seniors and/or those struggling to earn a living wage, who cannot afford market-rate housing.

These redevelopments address that need.

Edited by Frmr CLEder